Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

brc64 posted:

Tangent: How do you "click" a button in a dialog box that isn't the default button? I can tab between them, and highlight one, but pressing Enter seems to just hit the default button. In Windows, I'd use space to press the selected button, but that didn't work for me yesterday.

I realize I'm a bit late to the game but I thought I'd chip in. At least in Leopard and SL space was the appropriate button to hit. I'm still on SL, it would be really annoying if they changed that particular behavior for Lion.

And as was also mentioned, some programs let you hit the first letter of the dialog option, or command + the first letter, it varies widely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

I just got an IR remote setup on my mac. Is it possible to set it up to open something other than front row or whatever it's called? I'd love to be able to have it open Boxee instead.

I've not used Boxee, but with Plex there is a preference that allows you to capture the IR remote. If Boxee doesn't have that option I think there are some third party apps that can do that sort of thing, but I have no experience with them so I can't really address that.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

brc64 posted:

I'm not quite sure how to word this, but is there a Mac archive utility that supports a sort of file manager view, like WinRAR or WinZIP? My wife wants to be able to easily see what's in her ZIP files (without unzipping them) and add and remove individual files by dragging and dropping, and as far as I can tell, there's no way to do this with The Unarchiver or the Archive Utility. They just unzip everything and that's it.

There's also zipeg

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

vikingstrike posted:

Download the MacTex package and start rolling really. I did most of my writing in TextMate, but if you are looking for a a program with a little more features texmaker may work. I believe that you get TexShop with the MacTex package.

If you need help with the language I recommend finding some intro guides and working trough them. (There are books you can buy too, but i find them unnecessary) Once you get the hang of it, it really is a god send for technical writing. For the last 3 years of college, I wrote every assignment in latex.

Just seconding this. I've been doing a lot of LaTeX writing recently in TextMate which has been pretty painless so far.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Holy crap, the MacTex package is 1.8gb!

There's a 25 MB core package floating around somewhere on the MacTex website, that'll get you started if you don't want to download the whole shebang.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

carry on then posted:

Then one day you'll be on Windows and go for the upper left corner to close a window and your initiation will be complete :unsmigghh:

In some windows programs (definitely Explorer) you can double click in the upper left hand corner and it closes the window. I'm not at all familiar with Windows 8, so I don't know how widespread this behavior continues to be, but it works pretty consistently.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Anyone else been running into thunderbolt Ethernet adapters that won't come up when waking from sleep? So aggravating.

Yeah, I've been having this very problem on a new 13 inch rMBP. Seems to be a problem with using a static IPv4 address at work, and it only occurs when I'm on battery. It is definitely aggravating. If you have multiple Locations set up under Preferences > Network you can toggle between them to get the adapter to wake up without having to remove it and plug it back in. Please post if you find a better solution!

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

shymog posted:

So, I might very well be retarded and I'm just using a Mac again for the first time in almost a decade, but are the binaries broken?

I keep getting a "Cog is damaged and can't be opened" error.

I think this has to do with the Gatekeeper settings and things of that nature, maybe someone more knowledgable could actually explain it.

To get rid of that message and actually open the program, download it, unzip it into your downloads folder and then in terminal run this:

code:
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine ~/Downloads/Cog.app
After that it should open without any further problems.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

TinTower posted:

Any recommendations for SVG editors? I used to use Inkscape on Windows, but apparently it doesn't play nice on Mavericks.

I'm curious what you mean by Inkscape not playing nice with Mavericks? From the little I've played with it, it works more or less the same as it did in previous versions of OSX, you just have to jump through a few hoops to get it to work.

You need to install XQuartz: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/

but once you've done that, it should work well enough.

I never really got comfortable using Inkscape, but if you're already familiar with it, you can always give it a try.

And please ignore this post if you've already installed XQuartz and Inkscape is still not playing nice with your system.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

Zenostein posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not on by default, but ctrl+f2 sets keyboard focus to the menubar. That might be handier if you really want to not use a mouse but don't know a shortcut offhand.

Another option is "Cmd + Shift + /" which opens the help menu and leave the cursor in the search box. Then just type the menu option you want, find it on the provided list with the arrow keys and hit return. One of my favorite features of OS X.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

Eikre posted:

Is there a reputable third-party mac software repo that hosts Thunderbird?

I just want Thunderbird to stay updated without asking the user to invoke admin, but I'm not really prepared to underwrite central management for our macs at this moment. I figure it would be expedient, for now, to configure a package manager at the system level, as per the Apple store, but I'm open to suggestions.

Does Thunderbird need admin access for updates if the user installs it to their local Applications folder (~/Applications instead of /Applications)?

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006
With regards to TeX chat, Lyx is a good front end. It acts a lot like a standard word processor, but formats nicely using Latex. When it has problems it can be a bit of a nightmare to get working again, but these days it's been pretty reliable for me. I use it for academic writing mostly.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

Pivo posted:

If I can inject another dissenting opinion, using a tool to do WYSIWYG TeX editing is the wrong way to learn it, in my opinion. It's best to start at the base level, write the actual code. You can use a tool for that! As long as you're writing the actual code. So you understand how it's interpreting your stuff. If you jump straight into Lyx, you might want to do something complex and suddenly realize you have no loving idea how any of it works. If you want to use TeX, and I recommend you do if you want to prepare academic documents or mathematical papers or pretty resumes, MacTex is pretty great, but really it's such a popular thing you can just google 'LaTeX Mac' and get all the help you need (LaTeX is a popular extension to the TeX core - almost more popular than the core itself)

I go back and forth on this point myself, and I wrote my phd thesis in TextMate using the LaTeX plug-in, so I know a bit about the dirty details. But now I can use Lyx to get students comfortable with the idea of Latex, and once they have an idea of what they want, it's easy to get them using Google to do more complicated things in Lyx without ever having to write any actual Tex. I think it's a good compromise for the most part.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

surrender posted:

Can any of you guys recommend a good in-line translation extension for Safari? I'm trying to read more articles in a different language (French, if it matters) and it'd be helpful to have an extension that could translate a few highlighted words.

If you really just want to highlight a few individual words, you should be able to three finger tap on the word of interest, and Safari will translate it for you (via the built in dictionary). I think you have to enable the language in System Preferences.

This definitely works for me in German, so it's worth a try for French.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

TACD posted:

Edit: Like, can it show me the loving location of a file when I search for it? Because I am always opening up Spotlight to find a file before remembering it won't tell me where the drat thing is and I have to go do a search in Finder instead :(

With Spotlight, you can hold Command when you're highlighting the file of interest, and this will show you the file path. You can then keep holding Command and hit Return, and this will open Finder and put the focus on the file you were searching for.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

I Am Crake posted:

I didn't, thanks for the tip. Correct me if I'm wrong though - they look different from the equations you can type into Grapher?
As in, if I type in y = M/D in Grapher it will arrange the M above the D, which looks cleaner.

Edit - So there's no way to change the default for pasted images to be inline?

My understanding is that they have added LaTeX support to Pages. So if you want y=M/D to look pretty, you would need to write y = \frac{M}{D}. It also works with MathML, though I have no experience with that and can't say if it's easier than LaTeX. According to wikipedia, Grapher can export to LaTeX, which might be a workflow you can use. Hope any of that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah that's what LaTeX is for.

I think my ratio of writing my thesis vs fiddling with LaTeX was pretty close to 1:1. It sure did look pretty.