Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

huge pictures

CMD+Shift+4 then Space, learn it man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Pretty interesting article about Internet Recovery mode, another new feature of Lion:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/07/20/new_macbook_airs_mac_minis_feature_lion_internet_recovery_disc_less_repair.html

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Holy poo poo this owns. If you replace the drive on your new MBA or Mac Mini, you just boot up to Internet Recovery mode, connect to wifi, authenticate your App Store ID and it re-installs Lion for you over the internet.

This is the future man.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

frunksock posted:

I bought and upgraded to Lion on my MBP. I also have a Mini running SL Server because that's what it came with (I don't think I actually use any Server features). So, since my understanding was that buying Lion for one machine entitled you to upgrade all of your machines with it, I proceeded to try to upgrade the Mini, however it's telling me that since I have Server installed, I have to buy both Lion and Lion Server for $80.

1. Why do I have to buy Lion again instead of just server for $50?
2. Is there some upgrade path where I can just up/down grade to Lion non-Server without making an additional purchase? If there were some way to do this while maintaining settings and software and whatnot, that'd be ideal.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, I was doing Time Machine backups from the MBP to the Mini via AFP I guess. That doesn't work anymore .. do they both need to be Lion? The shared disk from the SL Mini doesn't show up in the Time Machine settings on the Lion MBP.

I believe Lion Server is a $50 add-on to server, not a stand alone product.

EDIT: Yup, from the App Store:

EDIT 2: I guess I misread your question, I have no idea if there's a way to downgrade OSX Server. You might be able to pull the .DMG like you can with the Client OS and do an Upgrade and Install option.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 22, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Actually a found a helpful document Apple has already created on exactly how to migrate from Snow Leopard Server to Lion Server

http://images.apple.com/macosx/server/docs/Upgrading_and_Migrating_v10.7.pdf

Space Racist posted:

Also, is it just me, or can the mouse no longer be used to wake the display? Not talking about full sleep, just the screen being turned off.

Not just you, moving the mouse no longer wakes the screen. You have to click the mouse or tap a key now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sigma posted:

I leave iTunes on its own full screen these days, but sometimes when I wake my mac mini, it does this:

What am I looking at here?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jink posted:

Guys, if you have your dock at the bottom iTunes is leaving space for it. On my system I leave the dock at the left and amazingly there is a left side 'gap' in fullscreen mode. The fullscreen for iTunes doesn't take over the dock area.

I definitely think it is a bug; their detection of 'client area' is taking into account the dock area. A fullscreen app shouldn't do that.

I have the dock on the left and that's not the behavior I'm seeing. Fullscreen mode works properly for me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

What's a good, free timer for Snow Leopard?

Timer or Chimoo Timer.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ziir posted:

What was the free uninstaller app that people recommended before again?

There's a few.
AppZapper
AppCleaner
AppTrap

Personally I use AppTrap because it works directly with the Trash and doesn't need to be dragged into a separate window.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ndrake posted:

I'm jealous. I'm on macbook air connecting to an airport express (apple gets all my money) and when the computer wakes up it only finds my network 20% of the time. My mbp with snow leopard has no troubles.

Just so you're not thinking you're crazy this happens all the time on my Mid 2010 Macbook Pro. I also have an AEBS and I get a connection back from sleep about 20% of the time. It also happens on my 2009 iMac, although less frequently.

I also have a 50/50 shot of my MBP not waking up from sleep, so I seem to have a few of the worst bugs some people are talking about :(

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Since upgrading to Lion I'm having a reoccurring issue of the ability to adjust the sound being lost. The sound still works fine, but I cannot adjust the sound using the keyboard or dropdown on the menubar. Repairing the permissions on the drive and restarting seems to resolve the issue, but it will come back later that day or the day after.

Here's the system prefs:

I'm almost positive it's a Lion issue. Is anyone else seeing this issue?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

japtor posted:

Yeah for the machines that can work with 4GB but not actually use it, they still report the full 4GB installed. I think the actual usable amount is 3.3GB...not really sure how someone (OWC?) figured that out but that's the number I remember over the years.

"About this Mac" will show the amount installed while Activity Monitor will show the amount accessible.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ziir posted:

Wait, what, why? This is a fresh install of Lion. Microsoft Office has never touched it.

It's to be able to search the contents of MS docs inside of spotlight.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yargh posted:

I've done what I can, but I'm so lost, I don't know where else to get an answer.

New to Macs, OSX is Snow Leopard. Any browser I use, I have the same problem: New tabs open up, usually something like https://www.google-analytics.com which then redirects to mevio or wordslife or some poo poo. When searching on Google, hovering over a link (ex en.wikipedia.org) shows, at the bottom of Chrome, that it's not going to that path, but some line of jargon/redirect. I feel it's a trojan, but everything I've done doesn't help. And by "done", I mean "cleared DNS and ran that trojan finder App".

I kind of have no idea what's going on; help please?

From some Googling, it looks like you may be one of the lucky few who have a trojan on your system, specifically Trojan.OSX.DNSChanger.B.

What "trojan finder app" did you run? Was it legit?
You can try downloading some removal software like http://www.iantivirus.com (site is run by pctools/symantec) or the DNSChanger removal tool.

Let me know if that finds anything, I'm kinda curious to what bug you have.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

For those interested..

MacUpdate is having their bundle promo again!

Get these 11 apps:
  • Toast Titanium 11
    Burn CDs, DVDs, TiVO and EyeTV video with iPhone & PSP conversion.

Toast Titanium goes way beyond the very basic burning in the Mac OS and iLife software, and sets the standard for burning CDs, DVDs, and now Blu-ray discs (Pro version) on the Mac.

• Printopia 2.7.1.1
    Share Mac printers with iOS devices.

Printopia allows you to share printers with any capable iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.

• Data Rescue 3.2.7.1
    Recover lost or corrupt data on drives.

Data Rescue is the best digital data recovery software on the market for recovering files from a problem hard drive or that have been previously deleted

• FX Photo Studio Pro 2.0
    Powerful post-processing photo editor.

FX Photo Studio Pro is a powerful post-processing photo editor for both professional photographers and amateurs.

• Fantastical 1.0.3
    Create calendar events using natural language.

Fantastical's natural language engine is expressive and intelligent so you can write in your own style.

• iStat Menus 3.18
    Monitor your system right from the menubar.

iStat Menus lets you monitor your system right from the menubar.

• PhoneView 2.7.1
    Use your iPhone for file storage, export/sync data, and much more.

PhoneView is the Mac companion for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

• Concealer 1.0.8
    Store information in a secure card format.

Concealer stores information in the form of cards and uses the latest encryption methods (AES-256) to protect information such as credit card numbers, passwords, software license codes, files of any type, and much more.

• EarthDesk 5.7.3
    Enjoy a dynamic earth desktop picture with live sun and cloud cover.

EarthDesk replaces your static desktop picture with a rendered image of Earth showing correct sun, moon and city illumination.

• Mellel 2.9.0
    Powerful word processor for writers, scholars, and technical writing with multilingual support.

Mellelis the leading word processor for Mac OS X, and has been widely considered the industry standard since its inception.

• Bookends 11.1.7
    Reference management and bibliography app with Mellel integration.

Bookends is a full featured and cost-effective bibliography/reference and information management system for students and professionals.

Not as nice a bundle as years past, but if you're in the market for Toast it's a fantastic value.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xie posted:

People who know more about Macs than me:

I need to learn OSX fast, enough to be able to support it without looking like a complete and utter douchebag. I basically lost out on a huge life changing promotion because someone came along who is a lot more comfortable on Macs, and our campus is trending in that direction.

Is there a specific book I can read? An online course in basic/intermediate mac tech support? I could get access to a mac if necessary, either through work or I'm willing to go buy a used macbook or something.

I'm applying to basically the same position at a different part of the university and don't want to miss out again.

If you're really serious about this, it would be invaluable to have a Mac on hand to learn and walk though the nuances of the OS. A few-generations old Macbook or Mac Mini can be had for under $500. Just make sure it's an Intel processor and it might be a good idea that it be able to run Lion.

As far as books, Apple has official books for their Training and Certification program. They're pretty thorough, and cover all the subjects like Apple Hardware, OSX Lion and Server, and also the pro apps.

http://www.peachpit.com/promotions/promotion.aspx?promo=135631

It really depends on what your job requires, but I would pick up the OSX 10.6 and OSX Lion support essentials books and maybe the Mac Hardware and Mac Security books.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MacUpdate Holiday Promo Bundle is going on again.

• TechTool Pro is a full-featured utility program containing options for testing and repair, maintenance (including disk defragmentation), and data recovery.
  • IconBox is a helpful icon organizational tool for Macs. When the first version of IconBox was released 7 years ago, it was the first Icon Organizer for Mac OS X, allowing users to conveniently organize their collection of icons in an iPhoto-like way.
  • TotalFinder adds tabs, hotkeys, and other tweaks to the Mac OS X Finder in 10.6 Snow Leopard or 10.7 Lion.
  • Postbox is a new email app that helps you organize your work life and get stuff done. It has all the elegance and simplicity of Apple Mail, but with more power and flexibility to manage even the most demanding workloads.
  • FontPack Pro Master Collection is Macware's complete collection of every font designed by their SummitType font foundry.
  • Labels & Addresses is a home and office tool for printing all sorts of labels, envelopes, inventory labels and price tags.
  • Mac DVDRipper Pro can protect your DVDs from scratches, save your batteries by reading your movies from your hard disk, manage your collection with just a few clicks, time-shift your rental, backup your DVD collection and more.
  • Back in Focus is an application allowing to refocus blurry images. If you ever took a great photo only to find out it's slightly blurry, Back In Focus can help you get in back in focus.
  • Neverwinter Nights is a game where everything you do has a meaning... Rise from a peasant to a full-fledged hero as you defend the Realms against one of the greatest threats of the age!
  • Hear greatly improves audio quality in movies and music throughout all of your Mac OS X applications. With Hear, music is richer, movie sound and dialog is clearer and games will blow you out of your chair!
  • iClip is the premier multiple clipboard & scrapbook tool that enables you to keep a history of almost anything you copy, instead of only the last thing.
  • FoldersSynchronizer is a popular and useful utility that synchronizes and backs-up files, folders, disks and boot disks

Not as "must-have" as previous bundles, but a solid pack anyways. TotalFinder, IconBox and Mac DVD Ripper Pro are all things I've used or am using now, they're all great. If you needed any of these things, now would be a great time to buy.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 5, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My Airport Extreme with a USB disk attached isn't backing up anymore. I get this error:

Any ideas? Googling that error message gets me exactly 4 results, none of which relate to my problem.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Have you run a Disk Utility sanity check on the drive? Sorry to be that guy with the baby suggestion, but it's a starting point.

Also, if you open up Terminal and go to /Volumes, do you see your time machine drive just once, or are there two entries with one ending in "1" or something like that? I know MacOS used to mess up like that with some of my USB drives where it wouldn't detach the /Volumes entry for a drive that had been disconnected so maybe TM is looking for a directory that doesn't correlate to the physical drive?

Just two suggestions. I don't actually have any experience with that error so I can only guess.

Also do you see anything relevant to Time Machine in Console.app?

It looks like the Disk isn't mounted at all now. Maybe the disk is bad, or not spinning up?

Here's what console's spitting out, I can't really make sense of it.

pre:
12/12/11 9:49:17.802 PM com.apple.backupd: Attempting to mount network destination URL: afp://Macbook%20Pro@AirportExtreme._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Time%20Machine
12/12/11 9:49:18.464 PM com.apple.backupd: Mounted network destination at mountpoint: /Volumes/Time Machine using URL: afp://Macbook%20Pro@AirportExtreme._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Time%20Machine
12/12/11 9:49:18.582 PM mds: ERROR: _MDSChannelInitForAFP: AFPSendSpotLightRPC failed -1
12/12/11 9:49:19.000 PM kernel: AFP_VFS afpfs_mount: /Volumes/Time Machine, pid 8158
12/12/11 9:49:23.559 PM com.apple.backupd: Failed to create backup of Time Machine Information file /Volumes/Time Machine/MacBookPro.sparsebundle/com.apple.TimeMachine.MachineID.bckup, error: (null)
12/12/11 9:49:23.627 PM com.apple.backupd: Running backup verification
12/12/11 9:49:25.691 PM com.apple.backupd: QUICKCHECK ONLY; FILESYSTEM CLEAN
12/12/11 9:49:27.454 PM com.apple.backupd: Disk image already attached: /Volumes/Time Machine/MacBookPro.sparsebundle, DIHLDiskImageAttach returned: 35
12/12/11 9:49:27.622 PM com.apple.backupd: Backup verification incomplete!
12/12/11 9:49:29.635 PM com.apple.backupd: QUICKCHECK ONLY; FILESYSTEM CLEAN
12/12/11 9:49:30.339 PM bootpd: service time 0.000005 seconds
12/12/11 9:49:30.734 PM com.apple.backupd: Ejected Time Machine network volume.
12/12/11 9:49:30.736 PM com.apple.backupd: Giving up after 3 retries.
12/12/11 9:49:31.000 PM kernel: AFP_VFS afpfs_unmount: /Volumes/Time Machine, flags 0, pid 8204
12/12/11 9:49:40.747 PM com.apple.backupd: Backup failed with error: The target disk image volume is read-only.
12/12/11 9:49:58.317 PM bootpd: service time 0.000007 seconds
Also, when its trying to backup I can see it flash the sparsebundle in disk utility quickly but it never fully mounts the disk.

Airport Utility seems to be able to see it though.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 13, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

My main thing was that I liked the way the address bar searched your history in Firefox.

Chrome gives me the error page with the little robot a lot for what seems like no reason.

Like, this guy? http://www.google.com/errorpage

That's not a chrome thing, that's you hitting a non-existent page on Google's servers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cool retrospective on OSX over the years

http://twistedmac.com/index.php/mac-os-x-over-the-years

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just got this in my email. Macupdate is doing their promo bundle again and this time it's not half bad. $50 gets your eleven Mac apps.

VMware Fusion, Drive Genius and PDFpen are pretty solid apps. Be aware that new versions may be coming out soon which is why they're so cheap. I'm still using the version of Parallels 3 I got many years ago from this bundle.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone use any good document management software? Something like Paperless perhaps? I'm planning on moving my large drawer of documents to digital and would like to see what my best options are.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Suggestions on some cheap accounting software for Mac? I've got some affiliate sales online but it's very small, only a handful of checks a year. I'd just like to keep track of income and the small month expenditures so I can better prepare the taxes due and write-offs come April.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

If it's really such a trivial amount of transactions, why not just track them in Excel/Numbers? I use Quickbooks myself, which is totally overkill for something like this, but I think most accounting software requires decent accounting knowledge to automate everything, while Excel can be used just to track balances manually.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing now. I was just wondering if there was anything in the ~$20 range that would be more of a pleasure to use. I think I might still have some old caopies of iBank or whatever else was in the MacHeist bundles.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Why not OS X Big Sur?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I installed Mavericks on my '09 iMac, but when I attempt to run the Migration Assistant to restore the Apps and Files from my external, it won't see the drive. It's a WD Mybook connected via FW800. I can browse the drive and see the files and folders fine but Migration Assistant doesn't se the drive at all.

Any suggestions where to start? The only think I can think of is the backup isn't stored in a sparse bundle file, it's just a directory of files under Backups.backupdb This is apparently normal for directly connected drives.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 13, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oneiros posted:

Check the Time Machine System Preferences and make sure that it hasn't turned itself off / disassociated itself from the backup volume. Migration Assistant wouldn't recognize my (encrypted) backups until I turned Time Machine back on after the update.

Time machine seems to work fine, I can browse backups made weeks and months ago.

mayodreams posted:

At least for the the Developer Previews, you had to install a utility to allow for migration assistant to work from Mountain Lion or Lion. Apple will probably either push this update before Mavericks goes public (I think this happened for ML too).

This might be my problem then. I'll just install a couple core apps then and wait to see if a utility comes along. After I bought my rMBP the iMac has become a second citizen anyways.

EDIT: I just realized it will let me migrate my Macbook sparsebundle file, but not the iMac backup. So I guess it's seeing the drive after all?

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 13, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm looking for a piece of software that can sync folders between a local folder and an SMB share. The one issue I keep running into with some software I've tried is that if the share is not mounted it will just fail or hang instead of trying to mount the share. I need something that will mount an SMB share (with user/pass) if it's not mounted and then sync files. Don't want real-time, just once a day type thing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

japtor posted:

Is the user/pass in the keychain, or can you set it up in the bookmark or whatever (like smb://user:pass@address or something)?

I use Carbon Copy Cloner for something similar, albeit an AFP target. It works with network shares so I guess try it out if you haven't already.

I've tried with a program called GoodSync which seems to mount the drive fine, but it never seems to save the password in my keychain. Once the drive becomes unmounted then asks for the password again.

I've seen some people script this stuff with automator and rsync but i'm not sure if that has bidirectional syncing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm on the Mavericks GM seed.
This fucker is stuck in my software update and won't go away no matter how many times I install it.

When I run update from the terminal, I get this:

pre:
Error downloading Mavericks Developer Preview Recovery Update: Can't load data for Mavericks Developer Preview Recovery Update from the Apple Software Update server
Also, I can't download Mavericks manually. Hitting the download button does nothing.

Any ideas?

EDIT: This is on both an '09 iMac and '12 rMBP

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 23, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BobHoward posted:

I also had problems getting 603 but that MacRumors fix is overkill IMO. What worked for me:

1. Delete "Install OS X Mavericks.app" from /Applications (if present).

2. Download from the App Store, but don't use the purchased apps pane. Search for it like you weren't ever in the seed program and download it from there.

My theory: Apple probably uses different App Store application IDs for seed builds and releases. Same name, but different so far as the store is concerned. As soon as they release an OS to the public, they disable seed downloads. So if you're like me and were lazy about moving to 603 because 598 worked, trying to download using 598 and your registered entitlement to the Mavs seed (which is what it knows about in "Purchases") began failing yesterday even though on the 21st it probably would have grabbed the 603 installer.

The end of the ML seed program was smoother because they just gave us App Store redemption codes for the real thing. (yup, it turned out that being in the ML seed program got you free ML)

No dice. I never even checked my purchased tab, I had the issues clicking the banner in the first place. Mavericks was installed via USB flash drive.

Bob Morales posted:

Just saw a fix on MacRumors:

However this fixed it, thanks a ton.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Magic Mango posted:

It used to show the "Are you sure you want to shut down your computer?" dialogue box with options for shutdown, reboot and sleep, which it actually still does if you hold it down.

Setting is consistent with iOS behavior now.

I actually prefer the new method. I was always afraid I'd hit the power button while typing something and accidentally hit Enter and shut everything down.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

I decided to let go of Sparrow's rotting corpse and check out Airmail. It's pretty nice, much like Sparrow only supported and not murdered by Google as of yet. Also at $2 it's a bargain.

Airmail is indeed awesome and they just introduced a bunch of new features in the latest 1.2 version.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Is the new Mavericks dock annoying anyone else?

Yes. Side dock has light blue Apple icons on a blue/white background with blue light indicators, what a great idea.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

wheez the roux posted:

What's the go-to software for using >1080p res on an rMBP? SwitchResX seems to have the best feature list but costs $$, QuckRes is cheaper but seems to be very barebones, and Retina DisplayMenu is free, but also doesn't seem to have been updated in over a year. Am I missing one, or is it worth it to spend for SwitchResX?

I found Pupil and have been very happy with it. I tried the other two and found nothing they could do any better than Pupil. You can try it free for a couple weeks and if you want to buy it it's only $5.

http://www.pupil.io/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I think that because Pages is a more consumer oriented product that the .doc importer is probably fairly basic. The few times I've had to use it to open resumes or product manuals have been just fine and completely readable.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Whats a reliable zip archiver? Seems like whenever someone sends me something zipped from OS X its corrupt. Granted these are typically huge archives (10G+) but I've never had persistent issues like this with 7z and p7z.

I've used The Unarchiver for a while. It's handed a few zip files that the native OSX zip handler couldn't unpack for some reason.

It's also free.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

colas posted:

Is there a good alternative to VLC? Bitch-rear end app keeps screensaver from coming on.

MPlayerX seems nice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Are you trying to play some obscure audio format player? Because having a media/video player enable the screensaver is the exact opposite of what you would want it to do.

Also you're probably thinking of IDKFA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Oh, I should give this a try first. Does doing this affect battery life significantly?

Edit: Also is there any software for Win8 that would replicate the functionality of different "spaces" or whatever they are called and three-finger swiping?

Don't even need it. You can have the VM run Office like it was just another window in OSX if you want.