Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
Is there any way though something like 1password or even the keychain that I can save a password for an email account, so anyone using that computer account can login on that computer, but not be able to see the password so they cant login anywhere else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

I have a early 2006 core duo imac. I heard that the betas/ developer previews of lion could be installed on core duo machines if you changed "accepted devices" file or something like that. Is this still the case with retail lion?

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

Hey guys, is there any ways I could sync between a mbp and an imac what podcasts I subscribe to and maybe even the unheard or already listened to status?

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

Has anyone ever upgraded the processor on an early intel imac? Right now its rocking a core duo, but could I update it to something 64bit so I can run lion on it?

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

haha I just noticed that the icloud email uses the mobile me icon :)

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

Does anyone here still use an early 2006 intel iMac with any sort of wired usb keyboard, besides the apple aluminum keyboard? If so, does it work during the gray boot screen?

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

1997 posted:

Yeah, 10.7.2 has iCloud support built in. There's been some things going around about another possible point release for Snow Leopard to enable iCloud functionality for people who don't have / can't get Lion but nothing is for sure.

I hope snow leopard gets icloud soon. I mean vista works with icloud but not snow leapard?

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

I don't have a link because I'm on my phone, but the polar clock sceensaver owns forever and gets compliments all the time.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

serebralassazin posted:

Wunderlist is what I use for making to-do list. I'm pretty sure it has an OS X client also.

seconding wunderlist for a todo app

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

Does anyone know of a program that functions like smcfancontrol on the windows side for macs? The generic windows fan control programs don't seem to work at all.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

I haven't seen anyone else post it this, but sorry if I missed it. Anyway, It looks like apple put the combo update for 10.7.3 in the software update instead of the delta update that was giving people problems, so you can use software update now without having to download the combo update off of the apple site.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is that a plugin or mountain lion that gives you all that extra wifi info?

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

Jeratain posted:

I was debating posting this in the A/V Forum, but figured I'd start here.

What is the best software to stream media to various devices on a local network from a Mac? I'd like to be able to stream media from my 2011 iMac to the following devices:
- XBox 360
- Samsung TVs (Smart Hub)

Note: I've tried Rivet, but that was fairly inconsistent in connecting to the XBox, and though it was discoverable on the Samsungs it did not stream at all to them. Connect360 is an option, but it costs $20, so I just wanted to see if anyone could suggest another free option before I dive in and buy something. Would XBMC, Plex, or something else be ideal for this?
check out ps3 media server.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I've had my iMac for a few years now, and it seems to be running noticeably clunkier than it used to. What's the no-bullshit basic maintenance that one can do in OSX? I've run the disk utility verify/repair on all of my drives, and ran SpaceGremlin to delete a bunch of stuff that I didn't realize was eating up as much HD space as it was.

backup, format, and reinstall if that's an option for you.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

Is there any way to find the old copy of a program that was updated from the App Store? I updated a program and now it won't start up and I can't find an old copy on the devs website.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

unruly posted:

Do you have Time Machine set up?

Yeah but not for my applications folder, just docs/music/video/photos/.

wolffenstein posted:

Contact the dev and find out why the newest version isn't starting up?

I did this, hopefully I get a reply. Thanks to both of you for the help.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

[quote="Star War Sex Parrot" post=""405465338"]
Oddly enough, the feature that seems most-overlooked by previews (and Apple doesn't mention it because it seems like admitting a mistake) is the return of proper Expose. There's now a checkbox in Mission Control's preferences that removes window grouping by application and basically shows you every window at once, like Expose used to be.
[/quote]
oh hell yes.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

eBay/Craigslist are usually wildly varying. I remember at one time there was a general pricing guide that seemed to be accurate, but I don't remember what it was.

Are you thinking of http://www.macprices.net/ ?

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

Is rEFIt still the go-to for what it does, or is there something better than it now?

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

I havent messed around with video converting on osx in a few years. Whats the go to app for converting .avi, .mkv, .mp4 and the like for ipads these days?

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

Does anyone use sparrow anymore for email? I've stuck with it but lately its been awful to use, slow, horrible start up times, doesn't fetch new emails, ect.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

tankadillo posted:

What's a good image browsing app? Finder is really clunky and I don't like how iPhoto copies all of my photos to its own library. I just want to be able to click on a folder and scroll through the photos in full screen, basically just the image viewer that comes with Windows.

Finder's quicklook is nice but I don't like how I have to manually select all of the images in a folder to make the navigation controls appear.

xee is pretty good for this.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

Is there any big reason between using a 64 or 32 bit web browser in osx?

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

I hadn't seen it posted here yet, so here is the link to the bash update that fixes the shellshock bug.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1769

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

Working over here.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

It seems that my recover partition is hosed. It shows up fine holding option on boot but selecting in results is an apple logo for a few minutes and then the MBP shuts down. Same thing if I login to wifi for internet recovery. I haven't messed with the hard drive partitions outside of using bootcamp to make a windows partition circa 2012 and I know the recovery partition has been working after that. Short of a complete reinstall anyone have any suggestions or ideas to fix it?

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

Anyone know an estimate of how much it costs to fix a mbp keyboard with a broken u key?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I turned off the startup chime.

Is there a way to do this for 10.11.5? I used to use an app but it only worked to 10.9.