Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

When importing video files from a camera with Photos, how can I see the file size of the videos before importing them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bill Barber posted:

You can bring up the info window manually (command+i) and then select the video to see the size.

Thanks. For some reason this just says they're 1 byte each, though. KKKanon :argh:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jesus christ. So I used Photos to import a large video file from a camera, and it told me that it couldn't upload it to my iCloud photo library because I don't have enough space--the video is 12 GB and I have the free 5 GB plan. Fine, whatever, I don't need it in the cloud anyway. Got what I needed from the video and deleted it from my Photos library, but it's still taking up space on my drive. My Photos library is 12.9 GB where it was like 500 MB before. There is nothing in "recently deleted." Also, now whenever I launch Photos I get a message saying my iCloud storage is full, but when I click on the "manage" option it presents to me, it says I have 4 GB free out of 5 GB, as per usual. How do I fix this?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Is there a way to crop a video to an aspect ratio other than 16:9 with iMovie?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sometimes I get a message on my phone saying it doesn't have enough space to store all of my full-resolution photos. I guess my enormous 44-photo library just won't fit in my phone's measly 5 GB of free space.

It would also be nice if right-clicking on an image in Safari and selecting "Add to Photos" did "anything," instead of "nothing."

Weedle
May 31, 2006

kuroshi posted:

Ever since Photos was released, that option has always imported directly to whichever Photos Library you have configured as your system default, not whichever one was last opened in Photos.

I only have one Photos library.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

kuroshi posted:

Oh, then I don't know what's up with that option not working.

I figured it out, I think: I had to make sure Photos was in the Finder right-click > Share menu. Once I added it there, Add to Photos started working in Safari. No idea why one is dependent on the other, but there it is.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

I've been trying for months to get some tech support for my copy of Windows 1.0.

Hit me up on Compuserve, I'll help you out.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is there some kind of technical justification for soldering memory or is it 100% a way to make more money?

I mean, a non-replaceable battery allowed for a sleeker unit by giving Apple more room to squeeze in the battery cells and meant your laptop definitely needed to be replaced or serviced around year 4. I can't see any advantage to non-upgradable memory, especially in a desktop.

It saves space because you don't have to have a separate board for the chips or a bracket to attach the DIMMs to the motherboard.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm using a monitor in portrait mode and I have an application that has too many menus to fit all of my menu bar icons. Where do the ones that don't fit go? How can I access them while that application is active on that monitor?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

You got a monitor working in portrait mode? When I try that with my second monitor everything turns to a garbled mess.

And voicing another vote for Bartender. Perhaps hiding the system icons will leave more room for the application ones. I think the app has a month free trial.

:smug:

I'll check out Bartender, thanks. I ended up just mapping a keyboard shortcut to the thing I needed the icon for, but if this keeps being a problem I'll give it a spin.

Weedle fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 2, 2016

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bill Barber posted:

That's like the weirdest loving thing to worry about.

To be fair, there's a lot of crappy software out there that, given its function, shouldn't impact system performance, but does anyway. Comma.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Whoever mentioned Moom a day or two ago, thanks. I was using BetterSnapTool but this is way better.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I don't understand why Microsoft doesn't just make an OS X version of their USB installer tool. You'd think they'd want to make it as easy as possible for people to use their software.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bigsteve posted:

Just tried this and all I can is a flashing cursor in the top left of the screenn

Boot Camp installers are only designed to work on Macs. If your PC supports UEFI booting, you might check the boot menu and see if there's a UEFI option for your flash drive. If not, or if you've already tried this, I'm afraid I'm stumped.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Why not just organize your documents in folders and use Finder to tag them?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It would be cool if they'd just fix Safari to show it all the time like a normal web browser

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Is there a way to sync your bookmarks, history, and saved passwords between Chrome on OS X and Safari on iOS? I prefer Chrome to Safari on the desktop but Safari is so much better than Chrome on the phone that I'll put up with desktop Safari so I can use the mobile one.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

flosofl posted:

Yes. Upgrade to a not 5 year old version.

I didn't think I could see a more juvenile way to refer to Microsoft than the "M$" somebody used just the other day. You just proved me wrong.

When I was 14 my Yahoo mail password was "microsuck"

Weedle
May 31, 2006

flavor posted:

:agreed:, not using punctuation (referring to your first post there, the above is just what I'm quoting) is shitposting.

Also if you read what I posted, I wasn't trying to evangelize InDesign, so angrily asking me to do so was pointless. Plus, everything was already well between me and the other poster, so your latest post was kinda late. If you want to argue my apology some more, I suggest we take it to PMs.

Let it go dude. Sorry that The Something Awful Forums don't meet your exacting standards of discourse but jumping down people's throats because you can't tell the difference between an insult and a question isn't improving anything.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I have never been more uncomfortable in my life than I am right now

Weedle
May 31, 2006

prom candy posted:

Can my Apple Computer remember what I was just listening to on my Apple iPhone using Apple Music yet? Why did rdio have this feature down pat across platforms and devices like 3 years ago but none of the current contenders can manage it?

RIP Rdio, too beautiful for this world. Towards the end their app quality really took a nosedive but for a while there it was the best one around.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Martytoof posted:

This emoji thing is officially going to mark the point where I became an old man. I am flabbergasted that this is a thing that is happening in a major keynote.

Ten years ago I would have said you were crazy if you told me that dimming your house lights with your phone would be a thing anyone gave a gently caress about, but here we are.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Martytoof posted:

My biggest thing is that the "hey siri, what is this song?" shazam-like feature doesn't have any way to recall.

You can actually get a list of past Siri-detected songs if you look at your wish list in iTunes on the desktop. I've never tried to access it in the iTunes Store on iOS so I'm not sure whether it's available there as well.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

why offer one of your best techs on competitor's hardware? iTunes doesn't count because it sucks.

I missed this part of the keynote. What are you talking about?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Am I weird for shutting font smoothing off?

Yes.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I bought CleanMyMac a couple of months ago and have gotten a lot of use out of it. I use it in tandem with DaisyDisk to keep disk usage down on my 128GB Air, and the only issue I've ever had is when I accidentally deleted my fiancee's Machinarium save since it was stored in the Flash Player cache. It works great for me and I don't see why it's considered malware. It didn't try to sneak any crap onto my computer or anything.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Milkman posted:

isn't that the double frame stuff Peter Jackson used

Yeah and it looked like trash

Weedle
May 31, 2006

101 posted:

I never saw the high frame rate Hobbit. Kinda wish I would have just I could decide either way if I like it or not

YouTube has trailers in 48fps.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

qutius posted:

40USD? what the gently caress

software costs money

Weedle
May 31, 2006

carry on then posted:

Just give up an embrace what I call the professorial dock which includes every single application on the system at 5px.

And Magnification set to the maximum.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I've been using uTorrent for years with no issues.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I didn't get any malware on my computer when I installed uTorrent but I also read what the installer said and told it not to install the poo poo I didn't want. Your mileage may vary.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Feenix posted:

is the MacOS update today?

Sierra drops on the 20th.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ChadSexington posted:

Is there a good (preferably) free application for clearing up space on my Mac? I have a late 2013 rMBP with only a 128 GB SSD and I'm trying to clean things up for Sierra. I found CleanMyMac3, and while there are a bunch of reputable reviews of it and I'm willing to pay for it if it's good and legit, it still kind of reminds me of MacKeeper...

I've used CleanMyMac for about a year. It's been great for me, although I think $40 is a little steep; I somehow got it for $20. The only problem I've had was when I forgot that letting it clear my web cache would delete my save for Machinarium (a game programmed in Flash). It's definitely nothing like MacKeeper.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

How do I make a bootable USB thing with this?

http://www.macworld.com/article/3092900/macs/how-to-create-a-bootable-macos-sierra-installer-drive.html

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Tippis posted:

The 12" is 1" more and needs 4–6 times more ports than it has.

The 11" was perfect; the 12" is a downgrade in every useful way. :colbert:

You know the Retina MacBook is smaller than the Air because of its narrower bezels, right? Or are you just mad about more screen space for some reason

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It looks like they just hosed up the legend. Light blue is total questions answered and dark blue is the portion of those answers that were completely accurate, but they switched the colors around.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

OTOH one time I said "Hey Siri play that song from Back to the Future " and it knew I meant The Power of Love so that was pretty dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I remember the customer saying something like "16 megs of RAM? Whaddaya need that for? FLYING THE SPACE SHUTTLE?"

This person owns