Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

The Milkman posted:

It makes sense with the magic trackpad. And then they even give you false hope with separate settings for mouse and trackpad. But surprise that flag is the same. :I

Use BetterTouchTool if you use a mouse and trackpad to have separate settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Lexicon posted:

For better or worse, web browsers defaults have always worked this way... in OS X and otherwise.

Not quite true. While you could set it within the Safari prefs, there used to be a nice, consolidated defaults general control panel for the default mail client, browser, et cetera. It went away sometime around 10.4. I want to say it was the "Internet" pane in System Preferences.

I recall a lot of wailing when this went away because people had to (gasp) open Mail and Safari to change the defaults.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Still won't make them fix their SMB 1 or 2 file sharing bugs any faster! :v: Also won't make Radar any less of a black hole.

But if people want to run unstable software, then power to them. I've had my share of prereleases that had interesting bugs/uselessness, now everyone else can experience them.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

You Am I posted:

I've noticed about four times this week on my dual screen setup on my MacBook Pro that the Dock jumps between the screens. Is this a commonly known bug?

In 10.9 they made it so that you could have the menubar and dock on all of your monitors. You can put it back to the old behavior if you wish.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

IUG posted:

So I haven't used RSS in a while, and last time I really did on the Mac it was built into the Mail app. I see that it's gone, did it move to some other 1st party app, or will I need to go 3rd party?

You'll need to go third party. There's always NetNewsWire.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
NetNewsWire has been my client of choice for years. The limitations seem to be ads.

Right now NNW 4.0 is in "beta" and as far as I know doesn't have any restrictions, but it clearly has functionality problems, like being unable to use column headers to sort/organize. 3.3.2 is perfectly fine but it doesn't handle large images well, and a lot of the blogs I've been following have been using retina resources which 3.3.2 doesn't scale automatically.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
You can also use software utilities like SSD Fan Control to keep the fans quiet, which is what I did when I had to replace the drive in my 2010-ish iMac. With SMART temperature readouts it ramps the fans automatically.

http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I've been using Linkinus for years but development on it appears to have died. How is Textual in comparison to that?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Fairly active. In 2014 I'd say they've averaged a bug fixes/minor feature release every month, and they're being extremely aggressive with a major update to pair with Yosemite.

This is good to hear. I actually paid money for Linkinus back in the day because I hated colloquy and all the other clients were garbage. It's always been kind of a resource hog but I couldn't quite find something to replace it. I'll give Textual a try.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I paid $20 or whatever it was in euro conversion for Linkinus, so $5 for Textual is a steal in comparison.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Started using Textual today and it really feels like the son of Linkinus. I should have moved to it long ago. Thanks for the rec, thread.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Use it in clamshell mode.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The dark mode for Textual is brilliant. I wish all apps supported Dark Mode like that.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Tis a shame that we'll never get up to 10.10.10 for updates.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Yeah, the latest Java 7 patch forced things to need security manifests, amongst other things. God help you if your certificate expires.

You can bypass all of this by putting an exception URL in the Java system preferences panel for the applet. You can also turn down the security slider, though that is not as effective as it used to be.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
EZIP is a great piece of software, it's a better AFP server than anything Apple is doing right now. Don't rely on SMB implementations if you're doing primarily Macs, you'll want a full AFP implementation and ExtremeZ-IP will do that for you. It supports all of Apple's tech. It's just an Appleshare stack, so don't expect it to act like a content management system, but for networking, it's the best.

You can then run something like Xinet Fullpress on top of it or some other form of CMS software, which may help.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Binary Badger posted:

BTW, Xinet was acquired by North Plains two years ago, they're no longer their own company; also it's a real CMS that runs on Linux, Mac, Irix (heh) and Windows but it requires someone with real CMS knowledge and expertise and a willingness across the board to use a third party file browser that frankly kills using the Finder.

Yeah, I know, just like Grouplogic was bought by Acronis. I used to work with shops who ran Xinet along with my product (a prepress workflow system) and EZIP and while it is a convoluted, painful piece of software, sometimes certain operations need something like that. Godspeed, Mcdeth.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
ExtremeZ-IP on Windows is a far better file sharing solution than Apple's own and if they're considering switching for file sharing I'd suggest they look at that instead.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

carry on then posted:

Unless you see Lite Mode in the bottom right corner, it's using WebGL and running like a stripped down Google Earth. Maybe that's it?

Yeah, non-lite "new" Google Maps uses a lot more power than old gmaps. It seems OK on my desktop, but on the laptop it gets loud and stuttery pretty quick.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
CrashPlan has a really nasty bug where it will fill up C: drives on windows with logfiles, because it never heard of culling.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Use ClickToFlash or something to force videos to load using the OS native video player instead.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Which is why I hated when my company switched to some wacky middleman authentication which broke all IMAP clients and requires us to use Gmail, which I hate.

Don't get me started on what they did to phones.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Alan Smithee posted:

I have a friend who's working on something in Photoshop CS5 for 2 weeks and during a save had the scratch disk get full and crash, now she can't find *any* save files at all and will have to start from square one. I suggested looking for .tmp files or going to terminal and doing open /tmp but none of that seemed to dredge anything up. Right now I'm completely baffled that there isn't anything to go off of assuming she was saving with regularity.

Is there anything that could turn up in ~/library/Application Support/Adobe etc etc? I haven't used PS on my mac in a while so I don't even know where temp files would show up or if this is even a viable recovery method.

Since mac seems to write things every time you so much as open a program is there still a way to find old cache files maybe using recovery tools?

I had this happen to me once, a scratch disk went bad in the middle of a project and corrupted a PSD during saving. Thankfully, I had a backup. This was in the era before background saves (I was using CS4 at the time so that should give you the time frame). Your friend is boned, the temp files are on the scratch disk location and if that dies, there's nothing you can do.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Stare-Out posted:

So what's this all about in Safari? It sometimes happens when I hop back to a tab with the SA forums open.

It's only happened on the SA forums page and stays there if I go to another tab and come back or scroll around. A refresh does away with it though.

It has to do with the "improved" responsive scrolling implemented in Mavericks, where it renders areas as tiles to improve performance. Sometimes these tiled areas don't get refreshed correctly.

It's not just a problem that happens on SA; I've had it happen on other sites in Safari. A refresh or quickly rescrolling the area fixes it.

For more info, http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/os-x-10-9/19/

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Xabi posted:

Why are they even so proud of that? They make the same dance about the number of people on the latest iOS.

It means developers have a broader base to use the new features/APIs that Apple spent all that time slaving over. The newest systems also have less security vulnerabilities (that we know about).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
There's no shame in waiting for the first patch on a production system. Also no shame in doing a staggered rollout.

carry on then posted:

Almost like software testing is a hard problem.

Try being responsible for testing software in a perfect trade like printing. Bugs (which there will be!) are really bad news when it means spoilage of hundreds of thousands (or millions!) of dollars worth of product. I can't fathom how difficult it must be to QA an OS.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

quote:

Cmd-Ctrl-Shift-Option-F9 GOOD loving LUCK

What? This is not an actual shortcut in the system, and if that's in an application, it's entirely the developer's fault. They shouldn't be making ones that do that; they violate the HIG.

The full-screen screenshot shortcut has been cmd-shift-3 since System 7, at least. OS X added Cmd-shift-4 (for marquee) and cmd-shift-4 (then space) for a window element. The latter two came from NeXT land; the spacebar variant used an ancient NeXT camera icon until, I think, 10.9 when it finally got a new icon. All of the global shortcuts are listed in the keyboard preference pan, and you can even reassign them there (on a per application basis even!) if it doesn't work for you.

quote:

I think keyboard shortcuts are the one thing OS X gets very, very wrong. I never felt this way with Windows applications. The shortcuts directly corresponded to menu items. On OS X, who knows what the gently caress?

Windows' keyboard shortcuts are a complete mess because there's no consistency with meta keys, because Microsoft decided to make it "keyboard navigable" as a primary instead of using the keyboard and mouse as a team. Do you use ctrl or alt to do a shortcut? You never know, because there's no developer or even system consistency on what to do. MS wrote up their keyboard guidelines based on someone using only the keyboard to navigate windows, which even back in the Windows 3.0 was entirely stupid. It's a helpful alternative, sure, but it shouldn't be something to build the OS around. You get all this guidance on how to allow the system to be controlled via arrow keys, or how to make every single menu option accessible, but there's no logic to it. The windows key (introduced for windows 95) was the first time they had any kind of global shortcut and that's basically reserved for the operating system, making it mostly a waste. On the Mac, the command key is always the primary meta key for actions, while the option key is a modifier, a secondary shift. If an application has a shortcut, it's listed right there in the menu. If you're curious, you can read apple's HIG on shortcuts here. Whereas Microsoft's entire keyboard UI is here. Good luck learning that, btw.

Now, the upside of having a system reserved key is that you can add new system-level shortcuts without stealing them from apps. OS X added a lot of system level shortcuts that Classic Mac OS didn't have, and there were a few famous conflicts (cmd-H being a notable one), but that crap's been sorted out since it happened almost fifteen years ago. Haven't had a "system stole my shortcut" thing in ages because both Apple and Adobe added built-in shortcut modifiers. Used to be you had to buy QuicKeys or something to do that in the bad old days. Also, I bet very few windows users know about ctrl-tab either, or various windows key combinations (like Windows-E or Windows-R; you still have to read or consult the system help to know about that stuff, just like you would in OS X (or look at the keyboard system prefs).

computer parts posted:

Of course, on the flip side if you know about holding down the Option key (or Shift-Option) you can type stuff like ƒ©˜√牡ˆÔÒ etc without having to know "Alt+XXYY" like in Windows.

This is a big fuckin' deal too. There is a logic to things like the option-key accent system that, once you know them, are stupidly easy to do. option-e then e and you've made resumé. There is alt-gr on euro keyboards but it's not the same.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Pivo posted:

No, really!?

If you're gonna complain about stupid system level shortcuts, why not pick one that actually exists? Otherwise, your blame lies squarely a developer for not obeying the HIG for their application level shortcut.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Pivo posted:

Fine. You said CMD is the "primary meta key"? Then why is screen sleep Ctl-Shift-Eject/Power but machine sleep is Cmd-Opt-Eject/Power? Like, what? OS X has a bunch of stupid shortcuts that make no sense. And even Apple doesn't follow their HIG a lot of the time.

Because there's a combination that almost uses every meta key with the power button to perform different actions. They were using what was left over with legacy considerations in place.

Command-Ctrl-Power is a forced reboot; it's been this way since the Classic Mac OS days.
Command-Opt-Power is sleep; this has also been the case since Classic Mac OS.
Command-Opt-Control-Power is force shutdown. Also the case since Classic Mac OS.
Cmd-Shift-Power was for force quit back in the bad old days (pre OS 9). That's since been changed, but it's still system reserved and currently nothing is using it.
So you're left over with Shift-Ctrl-Power to put the display to sleep. I don't recall this being there in classic days; but it might have been in OS 9. I admit I haven't used one of those machines in over a decade but I was used to using a hot-corner to put the display to sleep back then.

edit: Also they're supposed to have multiple modifiers and use two hands for the same reason ctrl-alt-del does; you want it to be intentional.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 20, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Yes, they had to account for SIP in El Cap. A bunch of command line apps that sourced things in /usr/bin no longer work. You did the right thing, but if you find other commandline things are giving you trouble, you'll either need to disable SIP or update to a version that accounts for it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

kuroshi posted:

New issue I've experienced twice now:

I'll leave the desktop and go to another room, while I have a Skype call and TeamViewer view-only session running. When I return to the room, I'll find my audio output has suspended, the Skype and TeamViewer and all other network traffic has suspended, and the machine has been dropped to a lock screen with an orange checkmark by my account name. When I log back in, my audio resumes playback, and I'm able to bring up the Skype and TeamViewer sessions again.

What platform is initaiting the view only session? Windows TeamViewer has an option to lock the destination workstation after closing sessions, but this option seems to be missing on the Mac version's prefs (or if it is there I don't know where to find it).

I use Teamviewer crross platform frequently and when I do view sessions on my Macs they never go to lock. I am on TV11. But I had a spat of destination machines being locked after ending sessions when I was using TeamViewer for Windows as the controller.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

AlternateAccount posted:

What the gently caress is this?!?!

People bitch high and low about the Finder, justifiably, but Apple then puts in awesome stuff like this and doesn't tell anyone.

I use it constantly, I used to use Path Finder for this functionality but now I don't need to dick around with it anymore.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
InDesign is a replacement for PageMaker (remember that?) and Quark. It's targeted more towards the artistic graphic design market. Its market is much, much larger than FrameMaker. gently caress, I remember when Adobe was trying to sunset FrameMaker, but it's hung on because the needs of the technical writing market aren't the same as newspapers or average book writers and graphic designers. They have very different needs than people writing science or mathematical papers which lean to FrameMaker. FrameMaker is more in line with a word processor than InDesign, which is more layout focused.

The main benefit of FrameMaker is its structured document design, which InDesign doesn't really do, even though Adobe tried to improve ID's document structure tools. I don't do structured document writing, so I can't speak to the pros and cons there, even though I use InDesign on a daily basis.

I personally haven't used FrameMaker in 15 years, but that's because I don't write the kind of documentation where FrameMaker would be helpful. If you write highly structured technical documents like, say, aerospace or electrical construction manuals, look at FrameMaker. Since this is the Mac Software thread it bears repeating that FrameMaker hasn't run natively on Macs since 2001. You'd be running it in Parallels or Boot Camp.

I will say that working for a print OEM (a company that makes raster image processors) that I've only gotten one problem FrameMaker file from a customer in the past ten years.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 7, 2016

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Craptacular! posted:

Safari Technical Preview has begun bugging out on me reading these forums (anybody else?) so I'm back to regular-rear end Safari until the next patch.

Same, and same.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

GutBomb posted:

Wasn't it just called "System" or "System Software" until 7.5?

Almost. My first "MacOS" splash screen with smiley Finder face was system 7.5.1, but they didn't put Mac OS on the boxes until System 7.6.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Natural scrolling makes sense when you're touching something (and I have no problem scrolling that way on an iPhone or iPad) but as soon as you're not touching the screen a disconnect comes in for me. I'll use old-style scrolling until the option goes away.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

EL BROMANCE posted:

There's a bunch of alternatives. They're all worse.

I like Capture One but it does have its foibles.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Arsten posted:

Does light room have a map to show you where images were taken?

Yes, but it's a half-baked feature that doesn't work very well.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Arsten posted:

At this rate, I'm going to keep using iPhotos until we have to transition to 128bit Operating Systems. :(

I have a camera with GPS support (Sony a99) and while it will show you a map of where photos were taken, it doesn't seem to really do much more than that. Syncing GPS info is rather easy but entering in manual location info (aside from lat/long if you know it) is a pain and / or annoying. It's a bullet point feature, nothing more. There's no real logic or intelligence to the location info. Why can't it use the lat/long to automatically know what city/town I took it in? Why can't it know that some photos were taken at a particular point of interest? It's because Adobe doesn't have Google's kinds of hooks into that sort of info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
You could always use the Keyboard sysprefs to change the menu command to backspace, or get used to hitting cmd-back arrow.