Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm glad someone else is getting the bug in Messages where the order screws up all the time. It's a program I've wanted for years, and it's great... but so many annoyances.

Even on a good 100mbit cable line I get the 'Failed to send' issue loads, and it's not super obvious if you're skipping through things... it should pop it up as a notification. Or, you know, not fail so goddamn often.

The other issue is, the default on the iPhone at least is to rollover to SMS if iMessage fails. I turned it off anyway - it stopped loads of SMS rollovers and yet I still rarely get a failed message sent. However, if the person you're talking to leaves it on the default, you don't have your phone on you and it rolls over to SMS... you might not get the message for ages if you're relying on Messages on OSX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I find it useful too, although due to the way Safari stores tabs (first bunch accessible then the rest in a drop down, rather than letting you scroll back and forth) I find I have less tabs open these days than I used to. Probably for the best, as 30+ tabs tends to grind a machine down.

Amount of times I've been reading something on my laptop, packed up and then had a reason to bring it up with a friend and just use iCloud tabs definitely makes it worthwhile for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's something suss going on with Java on my Mac, I know there were issues recently but presumed the throwswitch Apple threw dealt with them.

In Activity Monitor, I can see Java is launched and using a chunk of CPU, half a gig of RAM and is constantly sending data pretty much as fast as the connection will let it. If I kill the process, everything stabilises but a few seconds later it relaunches and the same happens again.

Anyone know of any exploit that's going around that's causing this? I've got Java disabled in Safari already, but maybe I need to vanquish the damned thing from my system altogether. Does anything *really* need it anymore?

(I'm still bitter from a programming class where we used Java and it took me multiple hours of debugging to spot I'd capitalised the 'i' in 'if'. gently caress Java.)

e: worked it out, new DV files I'd added to the system over the weekend were causing crash plan to skitz out and try to upload 100gb of data. All the upstream use was killing my connection, so time to disable that.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 18, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has anyone had a weird bug that seems to exist between Safari and Adium recently? Tends to occur any time I click something in Safari that isn't a strict link (like a javascript box or something). Instead of doing what I want, it does nothing and Adium becomes the highlighted app. If Adium is closed, it doesn't happen.

Thought it might disappear when I did the Yosemite beta install, but it's still occurring then too, but not on my MBA, just my iMac. It's odd.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lawen posted:

Sounds like something's jacked up with your URL handler, making it think Adium is the default application for those types of links. Google "OSX URL handler" or take a look at this.

Sorry for the day, thanks for that I'll take a look into it. Thought it might be something along those lines, but it's odd that it would also effect me switching tabs even. I came up with a solution though - I've dumped Adium and switches to Textual for IRC.

----

Another thing that's saddened me moving over to Yosemite - I still get *ridiculous* Kernal Task usage on my machine. It's got 12gb of RAM and at this very minute 6gb is jammed up in the kernel. It's been like this since Mountain Lion and a bit disappointed it hasn't been resolved as I know a ton of people are affected by it. Might have to do a complete reinstall when the final comes out, but ugh... the best thing about OS X operation is having left that 12 month reformat/reinstall back in 2005.

e: for clarity.

Never really paid that much attention to the memory compression before because this has been affecting me for so long, but fair play if it's crunched up 4GB worth. Also, gently caress Facebook for not being able to design a website that doesn't try and claim an entire GB of RAM. I just want to look at cat photos, not mine bloody Litecoin or something.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 6, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep it's definitely noticeable. I've no problem with the system using up to the last byte of RAM if it's just holding it and moving it around, but you can see in that pic alone I've hit 2gb of swap. It's a few years old too so I don't have an SSD in here, so you can feel the HDD grind.

Usually closing all the apps will fix it for a bit, but it's not a consistent app that's holding the RAM. Sometimes it's Calendar (of all things), sometimes Mail. It's like a lottery, and it's definitely a widespread thing as you can find a ton of threads about it on other support forums.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for reading the post where I clearly say this is "still" a problem and that I've been suffering it "since Mountain Lion".

Ninja Rope posted:

Don't worry bout how much swap you use, worry when it grows. Your Memory Pressure graph shows the system thinks it still has plenty of free RAM, so you shouldn't be running into any problems. I'd guess it's probably crashplan reading all of your data and filling up unused RAM with the disk cache, which will be purged when the RAM is needed for other things.

I've got 16g of RAM and 9 of it is free and I'm also using 1 gig of swap. If the OS has decided that memory won't be used for a while (or ever) it's a good idea to get swap it out.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact I can feel the system acting sluggish I wouldn't have an issue. I should kill crashplan completely, I haven't had the service for ages and the process shouldn't be running anymore, but still seems to be. I've killed it in Activity Monitor now and will see if this makes a difference. I'm struggling to remember if I had the issue before I installed CrashPlan originally. It feels like I've had this forever ha. Cheers!

e: found a sudo process to kill the server I didn't even know was running still and while it's early... I think it might've done something. Overall RAM usage already dropped a little chunk and I'm not getting a sluggish response as much anymore. By jove I think you might've cracked it! Bloody backup services...

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 6, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love the new tab system in Safarai in Yosemite, but god dammit if I accidentally pull another tab off the window when all I've done is click it (usually Facebook for whatever reason), I'm going to lose my mind. Please put the guy who added the code so you had to pull the icon about 2 feet away from the dock for it to actually remove onto the Safari team ASAP.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The new El Capitan disk utility is pretty, but perplexing to me.

I have a 1TB disk split into a 900gb partition (5 year old install) and a 100gb partition (clean install, and running EC B4).

I moved a ton of data from the 900gb drive off to externals and successfully (after many hours wait, naturally) reduced it's partition down to 450gb, thinking I could then increase the other by 450gb and start migrating things across.

What I now have is a 3rd partition, taking up that 450gb called Untitled that seems to be blocking me from increasing my new 100gb partition up. I've tried unmounting it, hitting the '-' on it in the partition editor (this just seems to increase the old one up to 1tb and 1.3tb somehow), but nothing I've clicked has allowed me to add more space to the drive I want to use.

I've tried this in both Live mode and rebooted into Recovery mode and same result.

e: from reading elsewhere sometimes the 'bottom most' partition can't be resized for reasons I haven't found (I've checked if anything is listed as being Core Storage and it's not), so it's just a combination of bad feedback and a GUI that feels a bit of a mess. Luckily moving all my Home folders to this new empty partition has resolved for now, I only need the machine for about 4 months more anyway.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 14, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah thanks, I edited just as you posted because I'd found similar (but less detailed) info. In the end I just moved my home folder to the new partition. I have 70gb free on the OS drive now which should be fine for day to day stuff and the odd app install.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I've picked up something malicious somehow, although not sure where it could've come from. I'm watching an order on Amazon and earlier when I went to the page I got the following error that blatantly isn't from Amazon. I was able to view the site normally on my PC laptop and my iPhone on the same network connection. Safari would bring up the attached image while Chrome would throw up a non-secure warning and wouldn't let me in. Amazon.com worked normally. After a short period everything returned to 'normal' but I don't trust doing anything secure on this machine now. Traceroute during the time period didn't bring up anything suspicious.

:image removed:

Anyone seen this before? Anyone know a good scanner to try?

e: it was my DNS service. For fucks sake guys, maybe put up an error screen thats not full of spelling mistakes and trying to pass itself off as a fake BSOD? Idiots.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 7, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Autocorrect rules, but is there any way of telling it "hey, if I type something and you autocorrect it to something else and I delete that and type THE SAME drat THING IN, maybe it was right and you should ignore it?"

I feel like it's been even more aggressive since I updated this laptop to latest OSX the other day.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought that would be the answer, as I've never seen anything to indicate customisation. Stop making me talk proper, Tim!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Safari is cool and good. I need to force crash and restart it sometimes, but that's probably because I'm an idiot with more tabs than sense.

I wish there was a way of grouping tabs together, kind of like how it does when you press the button that also shows you what you have on other devices. If I'm looking up vacation stuff, I'll have 20 tabs open on different sites alone and it'd be neat to group collapse them. I sometimes put them into another browser window, but that's less convenient when I'm on my laptop and run full screen not windowed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's not as cool/horrific as 'suicide linux', where if you type any command that results in an error message it self deletes the entire operating system.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there an inbuilt view in OSX for remote BT device battery levels? My iPhone can tell me how much juice is left in my BT headphones but I can't find anything in OSX to do the same. It's pretty useful, as the extent of battery life metering I have on the headset is how many times a light flashes which can be a bit vague.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's where I was expecting it to be, your post reminds me I get the BT %age levels when I have my mouse and keyboard connected to my iMac but I'm on my MBA at the moment and nothing other than a Disconnect and Sound Prefs for my headphones. Even with Option held I get some more (quite useful) info, but not battery. How odd, maybe it's down to the BT chip in my Air not supporting it as it's a 2011 model while my iPhone is a 6. Not a massive deal, but sometimes useful when you're in the middle of a battery and not sure if you're closer to full or empty.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for checking. I just connected my BT mouse and I get battery levels, so just be on a per device level. When my iMac is up and running I'll check on that too, but given its a 2010 it'll likely have an even older BT chip so I'm expecting the same results. Next time I'm near a current model, I'll have to check out of curiosity.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BobHoward posted:

This is more likely to be OS X not reporting battery gauge info for all BT devices (might only bother with Apple brand devices, or whatever).

Yeah, I think you're probably right. I thought maybe because my phone does it maybe it's a chip age thing, but must be down to those inconsistencies between OS teams. No massive deal really, at the end of the day.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for checking further, appreciate it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When I did an Internet recovery install of my iMac for sale, it's asked me for my iTMS login to download the image. I take it that's not used/needed for anything other than the install process, and the person I'm selling it to isn't going to be promoted to log in as me at any time, right? That's all setup on first boot, yeah?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thought so, can never hurt to check! First time I've sold on hardware in a few years and before then it was usually to people I knew well and who knew OS X well. Thanks for confirmation.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Out of interest, due to the completely different way OS X is built compared to Windows, does the AV software dog it down much or is it pretty transparent? I know, and understand, a lot of places want AV in place because even if your hardware can't be affected by the virus, it doesn't stop you from actively sending out via email etc so it makes sense. But I'm glad I'm not in an environment where I need to have that stuff in place.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The scary part is that it was signed and downloadable from the official site. I mean, what can you do to protect yourself when it seemed the only telltale sign was the http not https?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Only thing that might be El Cap related issue for me is having to force crash Safari when it completely kills my machine (takes about 10 minutes). My personal feeling is that it's Facebook misbehaving, and the fact I have a ton of tabs open probably isn't helping matters. It never did it before though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This is the opposite of true. Safari since Yosemite is super stable and fast.

I've not used anything but Safari primarily since I bought an iPhone 3G. No real complaints here either.

I like having a setup without Flash installed for my primary, then Chrome installed that uses an internal version whenever I really need it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ohrwurm posted:

Fixing t.co links in Safari is the biggest bugfix for me in I don't know how long. Can't believe it.

Changing the https to http, or vice versa (I can't remember exactly) so the page opens? Thank god it's not just me, it's driven me loopy. Doesn't affect everyone though afaik as my housemate wasn't affected but it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Australia should never have been allowed the English language.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

uninterrupted posted:

Doesn't chrome have its own built in flash? I don't have flash on my computer but chrome can play flash stuff just fine.

Yep I do this too. It's kind of useful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If iCloud Photo Library was simply a thing that allowed me to sync a specific album (ie not my camera roll that's full of garbage), I'd still use it. I don't know why it feels I need to backup a million blurry, drunken photos into my 5gb of storage. That's useless to me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Laserface posted:

*has at least 500 photos of computer screens for various note taking reasons*

Yeah I probably have more of these than the aforementioned drunken photos. My 'favourites' section is generally reserved for lens tech sheets and photos of the back of my tv, amp, computer etc so I can change cables around and not be so blind. But yeah all it would take is a switch from 'all photos / certain album' and I'd probably use it. Right now I don't, I just plug my phone into my Mac and import and wipe all the photos on the handset every 6 months or so.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh believe, I can understand why lots/most people would love it the way it is. I'll have to look into that shared album workaround, thanks for that.

I have the Amazon Prime thing, it costs $13 a year for non-prime members and I have something like 300gb of raw files up in it and it's cool.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MacTracker says both 13 and 15" versions from 2015 max out at 16gb.

E: oops didn't see the new page. Ignore.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

tuyop posted:

But why did it create an absurdly large image on my drive?

And yeah, I tried gpt destroy, something with fdisk, single user mode, safemode, something with fsck. It mounts but it's ntfs so it's not writable. I also can't format it, permission denied or can't open the device.

Try this on a Windows install, you might be able to rescue the drive at least - http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool/3000-2094_4-10974082.html

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

eightysixed posted:

Fair enough - Just read up on it, and it does FXP as well, much like my purchased FlashFXP. Pulling the trigger tonight when I get home. Thanks! :cheers:

Yeah I still have a FlashFXP license from the $10 sale about 10 years ago, and love Transmit for the sole reason it acts similar. People used to recommend Cyberduck as a client, but it's pretty bad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Milkman posted:

Do you use Transmit with S3? I've stuck with Cyberduck because [free and] the S3 support was a lot more reliable, but last I tried was maybe 2 years ago.

I don't have any s3 account sorry.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The main problem with Crashplan is the app is satan itself and caused no end of problems when I upgraded OS X and was the root of major memory issues. It also doesn't (or maybe didn't, hopefully it's not as bad now) have an uninstall process and it'll cling on for deal life to your OS. I still have 2x 0kb phantom Crashplan files in my recycle bin whenever I connect my external drive to any OS X machine, that are seemingly impossible to remove, and clearing it forces me to go through about 4 dialog boxes each time. Please say they've switched out from that Java nightmare now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I'm concerned, I just check the Network tab in Activity Monitor (providing nothing else is moving).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bob Morales posted:

Just an example - Excel on Windows is fast. Really fast. Open a huge spreadhseet? 150,000 lines opens in 3 seconds.

It can open stuff fairly quick (although the sheets I worked with could take several minutes) but manipulating that data it's a dog, and throwing hardware at it doesn't resolve this. When you get past a certain point, every new line seems to drag it even further behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

its HIM posted:

WWDC chat aside, I've finally started trying to use Lightroom instead of Aperture and I've got some questions.

Are you using the absolute latest version that was released a few days ago? Performance has always been the biggest bugbear of of LR but apparently the latest release has actually improved it somewhat as opposed to making it worse, which is how Adobe usually operate. Adobe suck absolute balls and are simply the worst, but I do like LR for all its faults.

Sometimes disabling the graphics hardware from helping in the preferences helps people, but I think that might be void as of latest release.