Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Axim posted:

4. I know this is a hardware thread, but I don't want to crosspost, is there a current up-to-date list of top OS X software?
The Mac App Store is a good place to start (can look by category, overall top sellers, what's new and "hot," etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Axim posted:

4. I know this is a hardware thread, but I don't want to crosspost, is there a current up-to-date list of top OS X software?
Try the OP of the software thread.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Ugh, look at Firefox and its RAM usage. Are they ever going to fix that?

It's an easy fix. Just uninstall it.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
Just to quietly bump a question from the previous page...

It seems the 15" MBP is the most likely candidate for me to get, as it would be my desktop as well. What have your experiences been with the High Resolution Screen option?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mewcenary posted:

Just to quietly bump a question from the previous page...

It seems the 15" MBP is the most likely candidate for me to get, as it would be my desktop as well. What have your experiences been with the High Resolution Screen option?

It should be the standard, with 1920x1200 being the high-res option. drat you Apple and your huge pixels.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mewcenary posted:

Get it.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Just found out that previous MBAs had dedicated GPUs. The current ones don't have that, which seems kinda silly. Any particular reason for that? :confused:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

awesome-express posted:

Just found out that previous MBAs had dedicated GPUs. The current ones don't have that, which seems kinda silly. Any particular reason for that? :confused:

Core2Duo chips didn't have HD3000. Core i5/i7 does.

Benchmarks here if you haven't seen them:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4528/the-2011-macbook-air-11-13inch-review/11

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I meant dedicated in the sense that the older MBAs had a separate GPU unit from nVidia/ATI and not a sucky, integrated one from Intel. :v:

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 11, 2011

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

awesome-express posted:

I meant dedicated in the sense that the older MBAs had a separate GPU unit from nVidia/ATI and not a sucky, integrated one from Intel. :v:

The previous Airs didn't use discreet graphics though, right? It was still onboard video then, its still onboard video now. I don't see the point to what you're saying, sir.

Yes, they use a different GPU manufacturer now. Yes, Intel graphics sux0r.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

awesome-express posted:

Uh, read some benchmarks. The 320m was a piece of poo poo and slower in most cases than the Intel solution used now.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
I am starting to eye up the 13" Macbook Air. Again, as my i3 laptop (also my 'desktop') replacement (15.4")

The portability is attractive, and in particular the resolution seems very good (and better than the 13" MBP which I found surprising).

Would be mostly used for email, document editing and so on, with a side-line in video editing. Have previously used Windows Movie Maker for this but keen to try new things.

Anyone with a 13" Air of the current iteration with pros / cons to share?

Can it drive an external display effectively? My current laptop also has a shared memory graphics card (GMA HD, several years old now) and I do spot a noticable lag creeping in when it is rigged up to a monitor. I am wondering whether the Air suffers from the same.

Mewcenary fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 11, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Uh, read some benchmarks. The 320m was a piece of poo poo and slower in most cases than the Intel solution used now.

Whaaat? The 320m holds its own.

Don't forget that's i5/i7 vs a loving 1.4GHz C2D

The old Air gets beat down in CPU-intensive games like Starcraft II

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 11, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

decypher posted:

The previous Airs didn't use discreet graphics though, right? It was still onboard video then, its still onboard video now. I don't see the point to what you're saying, sir.\

From iFixit:

Old Air:

New Air:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mewcenary posted:

I've had mine for about two months now and nothing bad to say about it at all. (and I've never been a fan of laptops at all and this is the only one I've ever had where I didn't feel compelled to attach a keyboard and a mouse) Its my first foray into Macs and I use it mostly for Xcode and posting hilarious internet comedy. The display is very nice, the SSD is fast fast fast, its completely silent. Gets my highest recommendation.

I guess the only downsides would be no optical drive and relatively small amount of disk space but neither has been an issue for me as of yet.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Mewcenary posted:

I have the 13" with the 256GB SSD.

Pros: Almost everything
Cons: Limited to 4gb of ram.

This is the best laptop I've ever owned.

Edit: I ended up saving the $100 and going with the i5, and I'm really glad I did because my boss got it and he can't see a difference.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 11, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mayodreams posted:

Echoing everything in this post.

Also the i7 wasn't really necessary. In hindsight I should have skipped it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Echoing everything in this post.

Also the i7 wasn't really necessary. In hindsight I should have skipped it.

It's not the best bang for the buck, but if you aren't the type to sell and upgrade every year (or two) it's not the hugest deal to stick with the i5.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bob Morales posted:

From iFixit:

Old Air:

New Air:

Not sure if I'm already agreeing with you here, but both Airs use integrated graphics. The NV320 is misleadinly labelled and is merely part of the northbridge.

Discrete graphics would be a third chip that is nothing but GPU.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
All this upgrade talk made me order 4GB RAM for my iMac. I can't believe how cheap RAM is nowadays.

edit: v Good point. It was really just an impulse buy. "Eh, it's that cheap?" *click* But it will double the current amount of RAM in my machine!

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 11, 2011

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You only got 4? Get 16 if you can! :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

wolffenstein posted:

You only got 4? Get 16 if you can! :)

He probably had 4gb stock so now he has 8gb. :)

Zoom Shroom
Nov 19, 2007

by Lowtax
I ordered my MBP 15" 2.2Ghz today!

Decided on 4GB and ordered 8Gb from Newegg but the 256GB SSD I ordered from Apple.
The dealbreaker is I'm buying it via salary sacrifice so I don't pay tax on it. A $700 upgrade suddenly becomes a $500 upgrade and taking warranty etc. into consideration it's kind of pointless to get aftermarket.

Went with the standard resolution screen; I'd rather have the boost in framerate. If I need more detail I can use an external monitor. I scale my current 1080P Dell lappy to 720P because everything looks too tiny otherwise. :P

Can I use bootcamp to install Win7 on an external HDD or do I have to install it on a partition on the internal SSD?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Bob Morales posted:

Whaaat? The 320m holds its own.
Yeah, it's surprisingly decent for an integrated chip. Crysis was completely smooth on medium everything at 1920x1200. As a rule of thumb, anything that has a 360 version is quite playable (unless it's a terrible port, e.g. GTA IV or SR2).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mayodreams posted:

The only problem with the 13" MBA is they don't yet make a 13" laptop with a 15" panel. The RAM limit is annoying but I can deal with (16GB on iMac).

Zoom Shroom posted:

Went with the standard resolution screen; I'd rather have the boost in framerate. If I need more detail I can use an external monitor. I scale my current 1080P Dell lappy to 720P because everything looks too tiny otherwise. :P

Can I use bootcamp to install Win7 on an external HDD or do I have to install it on a partition on the internal SSD?
Congrats, you're an old geezer.

You can install your bootcamp partition anywhere you like.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

evil_bunnY posted:

You can install your bootcamp partition anywhere you like.

You can't run Windows from a USB disk, only from an internal disk. (If you know how to do USB Win7 I'd sure love to know!) It also has to be the last partition, unless you have more than three partitions (for Boot Camp).

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004

mayodreams posted:

Edit: I ended up saving the $100 and going with the i5, and I'm really glad I did because my boss got it and he can't see a difference.

Sounds pretty good. Also the model I would be considering. The screen resolution is particularly attractive.

Am surprised that, by comparison, the 13" MBP resolution is so poor! I'm not sure I could cope with 1280x800 again....

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Not sure if I'm already agreeing with you here, but both Airs use integrated graphics. The NV320 is misleadinly labelled and is merely part of the northbridge.

True, but the 320M isn't inside the CPU like the HD3000 is. That's like super-integrated.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I purchased a new mid-tier imac 27" last night @ the apple store.

A few issues so far:

I have noticed a bit of dust between the glass and the lcd. It's pretty annoying. Is something they can fix?

When I try to run the apple software update, it fails while installing and states that the data is corrupted. What do you guys think?

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

How can I make this as complicated as possible?

spaceship posted:

What do you guys think?

I'd take it back to the Apple Store and exchange it for another one. There shouldn't be any dust inside a brand new iMac.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
How big of a deal is it that my new MacBook Air has one of the slower Toshiba SSDs? Benchmarks I've seen make it seem like there's a massive difference. Not cool :mad:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

~Coxy posted:

You're right about it being part of the northbridge, iFixit just didn't mention that fact, and went by what was printed on the chip.

Wikipedia:
In some instances the northbridge and southbridge functions were combined onto one die when design complexity and fabrication processes permitted it, for example the Nvidia GeForce 320M in the 2009/2010 Macbook Air is a northbridge/southbridge/GPU combo chip

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 11, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

illcendiary posted:

How big of a deal is it that my new MacBook Air has one of the slower Toshiba SSDs? Benchmarks I've seen make it seem like there's a massive difference. Not cool :mad:

Would you know that it was slower, had you not read a story about it? You can always upgrade to something from OWC if you have hundreds of extra dollars laying around. You can probably sell your 128GB Toshiba to a person who has the 64GB model for at least $100.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

illcendiary posted:

A slow SSD is like a slow world-class sprinter from my anecdotal experience.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Went to bed last night and put my Mac pro 1,1 to sleep, all was fine. Woke up this morning and the computer wouldn't wake up, instead the status light is blinking repeatedly. I unplugged it for a few minutes and re-seated the RAM and it's still doing it. Help?

One of the memory sliders already went bad but everything was working just fine 8 hours ago

EDIT: 2x2GB sticks went bad apparently, they're OWC so maybe I have a warranty on them, been using them for 3 or 4 years. I took out the bad slider, too, see if that has any effect. At least it's running now

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 11, 2011

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Bob Morales posted:

Would you know that it was slower, had you not read a story about it? You can always upgrade to something from OWC if you have hundreds of extra dollars laying around. You can probably sell your 128GB Toshiba to a person who has the 64GB model for at least $100.

Day-to-day, no, I probably won't notice a difference. I don't think that's the point. When I pay for something, especially a high-price item like this, I expect its performance will be consistent with other items of the same type. This appears to be a large difference. It's like buy a stock Corvette and finding out that another stock Corvette on the same lot randomly has a bigger engine and a higher high-end speed. Sure, most of the time I'll be on the highway driving the speed limit. Doesn't make it okay.

Anyone have experience with the Apple store doing swaps of this sort? I may just end up buying one of those new OWC SSDs.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
I pulled the trigger and picked up a 13" Air (256 Gig model). Turns out there is an Apple reseller only just up the road from me which had everything in stock, so I was able to try it out alongside a MBP and 11" MBA.

It was a tough call between the 11" and the 13". However, in the end, as this is going to replace my current 'desktop laptop', I fancied the extra screen real estate.

It really is gorgeous. The screen resolution is so good that I seem to prefer working on the laptop to connecting it to my 21" display! (The 21" display only goes up to 1680xwhatever though).

Still getting the hang of the MacOS world. Gestures are really neat, especially the swipes to bring up Mission Control and the like. Using my usual apps such as Thunderbird for Mail, Picasa for pictures... but will branch out over time.

In terms of performance, it is exceptionally responsive, especially when using multiple programs at once. This really highlights how good the SSD is: I'm downloading files, copying files, opening/closing apps and there is just no slowdown.

Very happy so far!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The wireless card on my 1st-gen blackbook is starting to go out. Is it worth it to replace the card itself, or should I go for a USB adapter? Is there a preferred OS X compatible adapter?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think most USB adapters work out of the box, but if it were me, I would sooner use a blueberry ibook than carry around a laptop with a loving dongle living in it all the time.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-and-MacBook-Pro-Airport-Card-p-17152.html
Only marginally more expensive than a USB adapter anyway. Just be sure that it's the airport card at fault here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSMOTU5YYOg

chimz posted:

You can't run Windows from a USB disk, only from an internal disk. (If you know how to do USB Win7 I'd sure love to know!) It also has to be the last partition, unless you have more than three partitions (for Boot Camp).

What about a firewire drive, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TheMadMilkman posted:

The wireless card on my 1st-gen blackbook is starting to go out. Is it worth it to replace the card itself, or should I go for a USB adapter? Is there a preferred OS X compatible adapter?

Can you just replace the card? Is it really 'worn out', maybe one of the antennas is just unhooked?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/6615048K/