Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I am not sure if it would affect the sound quality, but this (pretty decent) Logitech headset comes with this little doodad, which does exactly what it looks like it does:

If you are attached to your current headset, you could get it and just plug in yours instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Hm, interesting. I don't particularly like the headset, I just was trying to avoid spending more money on this thing. Do you guys know if the iPhone headset (the one with the microphone) works as a microphone on macs? I've never even opened the headphones that came with my iPhone. Either way, I'll test it out when I get home in 2 hours, I was just curious if any of you guys have tried it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Do you guys know if the iPhone headset (the one with the microphone) works as a microphone on macs?

It does on my 2011 iMac. When plugged into the mic jack you get only the mic function; when plugged into the headphone jack you get both.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use it all the time on my 2010 macbook.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The iPhone mic & buttons work on my 2011 Mini, so you should be set.

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

The Born Approx. posted:

Any rumblings about a new iMac in the near future?

people are saying 29 april

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The iPhone mic & buttons work on my 2011 Mini, so you should be set.

I tried using my iPhone headphones with my Mini, and it works, kinda. If I plug the headset into the "audio out" plug, everything works fine (including the mic), and the headset shows up in the sound settings. When I plug the mic into the "audio in", nothing shows up in the settings and the mic does not work. I'd like to do it this way, since I want to leave my desk speakers plugged into the "audio out" plug and the headset plugged into the "audio in", as if it were just a standalone microphone.

I guess I'm just wasting my time with this... I should either get a real mic or just deal with having to unplug a thing and plug in a thing each time I want to skype...

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I think there might be splitters out there to split the Headset TRS plug out so you can get a somewhat powered mic port and audio out.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I'd like to do it this way, since I want to leave my desk speakers plugged into the "audio out" plug and the headset plugged into the "audio in", as if it were just a standalone microphone.

A USB mic is definitely the best option for this, since you can just leave it plugged in all the time, and switch what is active by option-clicking on the sound menulet.

(Though, confusingly, OS X refers to the audio out jack as 'headphones,' even on a desktop Mac.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Jabe posted:

people are saying 29 april

With that custom title, and with not even one major rumor site touting that date, we can safely assume that's bullshit. Or, if you go by what Steve used to say, 'all rumors are true..' ..in some alternate universe.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 5, 2012

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

cbirdsong posted:

A USB mic is definitely the best option for this, since you can just leave it plugged in all the time, and switch what is active by option-clicking on the sound menulet.

(Though, confusingly, OS X refers to the audio out jack as 'headphones,' even on a desktop Mac.)

Yeah, I use a USB Audio Device with my iMac, simply because I don't want to be reaching around to the back all the time to plug/unplug my headphones... :effort:

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Binary Badger posted:

With that custom title, and with not even one major rumor site touting that date, we can safely assume that's bullshit. Or, if you go by what Steve used to say, 'all rumors are true..' ..in some alternate universe.

April 29th is a Sunday, no chance. I'd guess if there is no snags on any of their hardware changes that we'd see it around May 1st or May 8th.

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

Binary Badger posted:

Don't judge me for what some random guy bought for me.

It's a rumor I've been reading on some forums, so yeah, probably bullshit. Here's hoping it's probably somewhere near that date since the quad-core desktop processors launch the 29th according to Mac Rumors.

Jabe fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 5, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

chupacabraTERROR posted:

So 2 weeks ago I bought a new Mac Mini, which has been great. I upgraded to 8GB RAM and it flies. Anyway I'm trying to set up Skype, and my microphone headset doesn't seem to be working. I've got this thing from like 4 years ago: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-HS-800-Fatal1ty-Gaming-Headset/dp/B002DS4HTM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330905149&sr=1-1

My gaming days are gone, but I still Skype with people and use the headset as a microphone. It's not USB, it has the 2 3.5mm jacks. I've plugged them into the back of the Mini, but the microphone does not work. Has anyone else had issues with using analog headsets? Google tells me it might be having problems because it wasn't outputting the signal with enough power for the computer to detect it(?)

I've checked the sound settings and everything looks okay (nothing is muted, etc), but it hears nothing :(
Before you go buying other hardware, did you try raising the input gain in the system sound prefs?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Got my mini display port > HDMI cables today, here's hoping they fix my monitor woes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I think I might have a solution to my '2 Macbook Airs' problem

Sell my 11" 2010 base model and put the money towards a base iMac!

Then I think maybe I should keep the 11" since it'd be my only laptop, and sell my 13" 2011 Air to get the iMac....

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

japtor posted:

Before you go buying other hardware, did you try raising the input gain in the system sound prefs?

The line-in port will never be acceptable for use with an unpowered mic.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Then I think maybe I should keep the 11" since it'd be my only laptop, and sell my 13" 2011 Air to get the iMac....

That seems sound. Keep the more portable while getting the most return to put toward your more powerful computing resource. If you meant base 21.5", it should be a near trade, right?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

japtor posted:

Yep. I played with all the settings. It's not going to work. I think I might get an $9 USB to 3.5mm adapter and plug it into the usb slot on my keyboard.

It looks like it works pretty well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

gce
Oct 11, 2004
Any reason to not pull the trigger on a 13" refurb MBA right now? From what I've heard, MBAs are getting refreshed until at least mid-summer and refurbs will take at least another month after that.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
The only reason not to that I can think of, is that once the new MBAs come out (this summer probably), the price on 2011 refurbs will go down even more than they are now.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

gce posted:

Any reason to not pull the trigger on a 13" refurb MBA right now? From what I've heard, MBAs are getting refreshed until at least mid-summer and refurbs will take at least another month after that.

I think refurbs usually take near 60-90 days to show up in the refurb store- so you're looking at potentially April-June for them to come out, and then potentially September to purchase a refurb.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

I think refurbs usually take near 60-90 days to show up in the refurb store- so you're looking at potentially April-June for them to come out, and then potentially September to purchase a refurb.
MBA most likely won't be updated until August, so more realistically October-November for refurbs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

For all of you who want to get more internal storage in your new iMacs, iFixit just came out with a kit that will let you put a second hard drive in either a 21.5" or a 27" mid-2011 iMac.

The kit comes with two suction cups just like AASPs use, along with long SATA cables, spudger, and a set of bits and a driver that will let you open up the iMac properly. Only catch is the kits are $70 each...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

gce posted:

I did just this about a month ago and have no regrets at all!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

For all of you who want to get more internal storage in your new iMacs, iFixit just came out with a kit that will let you put a second hard drive in either a 21.5" or a 27" mid-2011 iMac.

The kit comes with two suction cups just like AASPs use, along with long SATA cables, spudger, and a set of bits and a driver that will let you open up the iMac properly. Only catch is the kits are $70 each...

Save yourself $60 and just go buy all that stuff at the dollar store.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 18, 2019

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

McFunkerson posted:

Yeah, I used a strip of packing tape to pull the glass off and bought a similar set of torax/mini Phillips/flat head bits for like $10 at Home Depot.

And get the cables from mono price for 3 bucks.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

Save yourself $60 and just go buy all that stuff at the dollar store.

Yar, the cable you need is on amazon for $7-ish.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056OB8GK/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Hi guys, a got a mid 2009 macbook Pro that won't boot past the whitescreen. Does anyone have troubleshooting tips?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

You Am I posted:

I have a mid 2009 MB Pro 13" which still covered under AppleCare. I have noticed today that the screen has a small patch of backlight bleed in one corner when there are light colours shown in that corner. On dark colours the bleed doesn't show. Is this an issue with the screen or are there any utilities I should run on it first before sending it the local fruit stand?

I have rebooted the Mac, but it still has a small patch (like a couple of millimetre in size) bleed.

Applecare includes phone support, so just give them a call first if your local Apple store isn't around the corner. Otherwise, just bring it in and see what they say.

I've heard rumors at my Mac retailer that the launch of iPad 3 would be paired with a low-key Macbook Pro 13" and 15" update. Probably untrue, but fingers crossed nevertheless.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 7, 2012

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 18, 2019

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Since there's likely no Mac news, the Apple event thread is over in Inspect Your Gadgets today.

Here you go.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Jolan posted:

I've heard rumors at my Mac retailer that the launch of iPad 3 would be paired with a low-key Macbook Pro 13" and 15" update. Probably untrue, but fingers crossed nevertheless.

I hope that's not true, I just bought a new 15" assuming there would be no updates until summer. :downs: I hope the 2-week return/exchange policy is valid at the weird "authorized" Apple store on campus I bought this from.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Fats posted:

I hope that's not true, I just bought a new 15" assuming there would be no updates until summer. :downs: I hope the 2-week return/exchange policy is valid at the weird "authorized" Apple store on campus I bought this from.

I hope it'll be true, because I need a new work laptop. :)

There's talk on MacRumors about a possible update in April, but also speculation about the SuperDrive disappearing from the 13" and 15" models. Which would suck, since the only reason I'm holding out for an MBP instead of an MBA is the combination SuperDrive/13" screen.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Go to MacRumors forums if you want to talk about rumors or release dates.

Fardels Bear
Oct 27, 2006

Lookit me flash, boss.
Quick question about Mac Minis and HDMI for any A/V experts we've got here -- my media setup is a TV connected via HDMI to a Mac Mini. I've got that setup in both the bedroom and the living room, with the bedroom TV being an old LCD HDTV (about 4 years old now) and the living room TV is a Sony Bravia, about 2 years old.

The problem I have is that neither TV wakes up when the computer wakes up -- you have to turn the TV on separately. It's not a huge deal for most usage, but I'm trying to do an automation setup to play music and display information when I wake up and when I get home from work, and if the TVs won't wake up when the computers wake up, the whole thing is a non-starter.

Both TVs woke up fine when I connected them with VGA cables, but I prefer to use the HDMI ins. Any insights about how this all works?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fardels Bear posted:

Both TVs woke up fine when I connected them with VGA cables, but I prefer to use the HDMI ins. Any insights about how this all works?

HDMI works similarly to USB in that the computer can detect if something's plugged into it and active; VGA does this too but to a lesser degree. Basically, plugging something into a VGA port will usually send a signal if the port itself isn't specifically told not to, waking your TV, whereas HDMI is automatically "dead" if what's plugged into it isn't on. Basically your computer is waking from sleep and when it pings the HDMI port, isn't getting a response (because your TV is asleep) and effectively disabling output completely.

As for actually fixing the problem, if it can be done it would most likely be on the TV side, if its sleep settings are customizable. Maybe a "wake on HDMI" setting if such a thing even exists?

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 8, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What external HD's are you guys using with your Macbook Airs?

I almost bought a Toshiba Canivio because they were cheap and in stock locally, but it looks like people are having issues with them and only with the Air.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3526534

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Quick question before I do it: Applecare is still worth getting for a MBA, right? I got one whenever the new ones came out and have been holding off on buying it.