Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Bob Morales posted:

What external HD's are you guys using with your Macbook Airs?

I almost bought a Toshiba Canivio because they were cheap and in stock locally, but it looks like people are having issues with them and only with the Air.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3526534

Time Capsule as an external drive OR Western Digital My Passport - the 1TB one is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

FreeAgent Go 640GB, but I think current iterations are worse. Mine was 7200rpm, came with a leather case and a dual-USB dock (that doesn't reach both of the 13" Air's USB ports). Seems to work fine for time machine on the mini travel-cable & large sustained file transfers.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Residency Evil posted:

Quick question before I do it: Applecare is still worth getting for a MBA, right? I got one whenever the new ones came out and have been holding off on buying it.

Way I see it - You can save the cash and ebay your MBA - put the total cash towards a new MBA - I think the new model has to be out soon(ish).

Or just keep the old one and applecare it, I think it's like $200??

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
I suddenly remembered my macbook air has an SD card slot and was thinking about grabbing a 32GB card for extra storage, but I don't want to deal with it sticking out the side permanently.

Does anyone know of a shorter SD Card I can buy?

Some people have had success cutting up those SD to microSD adaptors which have a usb port on them, like this:
http://images.tradekool.com/80898800/Micro-Sd-Trio-3-In-1-Adaptor.jpg

Apparently you just chop of the USB plug and fire it in to your SD card slot, and it sits flush!

Might have a go at this unless anyone has any better suggestions?

edit: Thread on macrumors about it: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1206894&page=1

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 8, 2012

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Gism0 posted:

I suddenly remembered my macbook air has an SD card slot and was thinking about grabbing a 32GB card for extra storage, but I don't want to deal with it sticking out the side permanently.

Some people have had success cutting up those SD to microSD adaptors which have a usb port on them, like this:

Apparently you just chop of the USB plug and fire it in to your SD card slot, and it sits flush!

edit: Thread on macrumors about it: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1206894&page=1

I've been following that same thread and I'm just about ready to pull the trigger and do this. An additional 32 or 64 gig of space would be pretty sweet.

This is the adapter I'd order.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-multifunctional-tf-card-to-sd-card-adapter-black-101441

Sucks it comes from dealextreme so who knows how long it would take to get it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Doesn't keeping the SD card in all the time (or accessing it) suck the battery like crazy?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Doesn't keeping the SD card in all the time (or accessing it) suck the battery like crazy?

It should be pretty neglible, I think. Low-power MCUs and other devices use SD as a storage mechanism quite a bit. If I recall correctly, its functionality is provided by a USB<->SD controller from Ricoh or Broadcom, so just a shot in a dark, an extra 100-200mA on 5V to run the USB<->SD IC, and then even less to feed power to the SD card.

I don't remember how CP does its clock-gating off-hand or how Apple split the ports up among the EHCI controllers on it. You can definitely gate off and entire controller if you aren't using it.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Gism0 posted:

I might be acting stupidly here, but if it's perfectly flush, isn't it going to be a bitch to remove?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

movax posted:

It should be pretty neglible, I think. Low-power MCUs and other devices use SD as a storage mechanism quite a bit. If I recall correctly, its functionality is provided by a USB<->SD controller from Ricoh or Broadcom, so just a shot in a dark, an extra 100-200mA on 5V to run the USB<->SD IC, and then even less to feed power to the SD card.

I don't remember how CP does its clock-gating off-hand or how Apple split the ports up among the EHCI controllers on it. You can definitely gate off and entire controller if you aren't using it.

I read this thread a long time ago:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1206894&highlight=sd+card+battery

It looks like others are saying it didn't affect the battery life.

It also looks like you may be able to just cut your existing SD card because the chips inside don't take up that much room. Of course, you'll have to get the card out with tweezers or something.

It's very slow (it would take half a day to fill up a 32GB card) but perfectly usable for iTunes. I've still got quite a bit of room free on my 128GB drive, so I'll keep this as an option in future. Far more useful to people with the 64GB models. Too bad my 11" doesn't have the card reader slot...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MOAR posted:

Way I see it - You can save the cash and ebay your MBA - put the total cash towards a new MBA - I think the new model has to be out soon(ish).

Or just keep the old one and applecare it, I think it's like $200??

I don't see the point in me buying a new MBA as I plan on keeping this one at least for another year or two. I guess the question is are MBAs likely to be more trouble free than, say my old whitebook (3 logic boards).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

I guess the question is are MBAs likely to be more trouble free than, say my old whitebook (3 logic boards).
I'm wrestling with the same question. In theory, it should be pretty drat reliable. It's a mature chipset with a mature CPU process with a pretty good SSD and no moving parts outside of the fan. I'm not really seeing what could go wrong, but at the same time it can add to the resale value down the line. Maybe sell it while it still has a couple of months of AppleCare on it?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Star War Sex Butt posted:

I'm wrestling with the same question. In theory, it should be pretty drat reliable. It's a mature chipset with a mature CPU process with a pretty good SSD and no moving parts outside of the fan. I'm not really seeing what could go wrong, but at the same time it can add to the resale value down the line. Maybe sell it while it still has a couple of months of AppleCare on it?

Eh, I don't care about having the newest/greatest. The cost of buying/selling a computer every year isn't worth it.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Bob Morales posted:

I almost bought a Toshiba Canivio because they were cheap and in stock locally, but it looks like people are having issues with them and only with the Air.

Wrong thread linked? That one doesn't mention Airs, it's all MBPs and minis.

I use Passports of assorted sizes, and they've been fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

beefnoodle posted:

Wrong thread linked? That one doesn't mention Airs, it's all MBPs and minis.

I use Passports of assorted sizes, and they've been fine.

I think I meant this one:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3510032?start=0&tstart=0

I have two older WD Passports that are fine (120GB and 250GB) but I wouldn't mind getting a new one that's 500GB or more.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Residency Evil posted:

Quick question before I do it: Applecare is still worth getting for a MBA, right? I got one whenever the new ones came out and have been holding off on buying it.

As others have said, AppleCare is worth it for any Mac laptop because they take more of a pounding being mobile than desktops which are usually not moved around a lot.

I think even beyond that it's a good thing to have if you have parts that become defective. Ancedotally speaking, the only things I've ever had to replace on a post 2010 MBA are trackpads and logic boards, in that order of frequency. For pre-2010 Airs it was always that dopey port hatch assembly; it was just badly made and people constantly jammed and wiggled stuff into the port and broke the hinge a lot.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 8, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Always AppleCare your portable, IMHO. The laws of the universe guarantee that if you don't have it, a lightning bolt from Thor himself will strike your, your family, your pets and your Mac down, and that poo poo won't be covered.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

movax posted:

Always AppleCare your portable, IMHO. The laws of the universe guarantee that if you don't have it, a lightning bolt from Thor himself will strike your, your family, your pets and your Mac down, and that poo poo won't be covered.

Previous computer, a Rev A whitebook: heatsink replacement, 2x logic board replacement, replacement with a Rev B whitebook, logic board replacement, DVD drive repair after they broke it while replacing the logic board. Fine until July 2011 after that. :rolleye:

Fine. Ordered.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

Previous computer, a Rev A whitebook: heatsink replacement, 2x logic board replacement, replacement with a Rev B whitebook, logic board replacement, DVD drive repair after they broke it while replacing the logic board. Fine until July 2011 after that. :rolleye:

Fine. Ordered.

Hah, consider it an early present/bonus for yourself for Match Day or something :)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

movax posted:

Hah, consider it an early present/bonus for yourself for Match Day or something :)

I keep on trying to convince myself to get an ipad 3 since it comes out the exact same day but I just can't do it, not when I have a MBA. :(

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Do they still offer flat rate repairs on notebooks (for $250 or whatever)?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

japtor posted:

Do they still offer flat rate repairs on notebooks (for $250 or whatever)?

$280 or $310 depending on model.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I've got a Powerbook G4, the screen is dying, green white purple lines running vertically across the screen etc etc. Is it still possible to get that repaired? I feel like i shouldn't even bother but the all the rest is still in working order so i don't know.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
have you tried it with an external display?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Ah no actually, its been gathering dust at my parents place for the last few months, i just remembered i had it when i was reading the thread. I'm going back there tomorrow so i'll give that a try. It might be the graphics card then?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's right. If it works on the external display, it means you'd need to replace the built-in display or just use it as a headless poor's desktop. If it doesn't work, you'll probably need to replace the logic board.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

McFunkerson posted:

If you are on lion try holding command+r during boot up and running disk utility.

If not then, while booting hold the option key and you'll get a menu for selecting your boot drive. Throw in your original os x disc and boot off that. Run disk utility and see if it fixes your problem.

There should also be a hardware test partition on your original install disc that you can boot off and run to see if you bad RAM or something.

If all else fails make an appointment at the genius bar and take it in.

Thanks. I am on Lion and can access the recovery partition but running disk until didn't fix. I am also out of warranty and live in a country with no apple stores unfortunately.

I can boot fine from the Mountain Lion install that i have on an external HD if that gives anyone a clue.. Oh Well. I guess i will just have to restore as new and hope for the best.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
My new Macbook Pro will drain its battery to 0% if I unplug it and don't shut the screen. Shouldn't it go to sleep automatically and conserve battery?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Large Hardon Collider posted:

My new Macbook Pro will drain its battery to 0% if I unplug it and don't shut the screen. Shouldn't it go to sleep automatically and conserve battery?

It should if an app isn't keeping it awake. What do you have the Energy Savings settings at?

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

Bob Morales posted:

It should if an app isn't keeping it awake. What do you have the Energy Savings settings at?
All defaults. Hard disks sleep when possible, computer sleep at 10 minutes. "Wake for network access" is checked though.

My roommate unplugged it to borrow my power cord, so the problem probably was me leaving spotify running or something else that I'd normally turn off.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My early 2008 macbook is having weirdo problems. Sometimes when it comes out of sleep the hard drive makes the scratch scratch of death. So I reboot and it gives the folder with a question mark. Taking out the battery and jostling the poo poo around it with a screwdriver makes it work again, however. SMART shows that the drive is ok, so I don't get why it would be a problem. Could my logic board be failing, or should I just replace my drive?

Thanks.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Peven Stan posted:

My early 2008 macbook is having weirdo problems. Sometimes when it comes out of sleep the hard drive makes the scratch scratch of death. So I reboot and it gives the folder with a question mark. Taking out the battery and jostling the poo poo around it with a screwdriver makes it work again, however. SMART shows that the drive is ok, so I don't get why it would be a problem. Could my logic board be failing, or should I just replace my drive?

Thanks.

SMART status isn't the best indicator of whether or not a drive is failing. If you're hearing those noises and get the folder with question mark then your drive is very likely failing. Backup if you can, then get a new drive.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

My MBA has recently started making little creak/crack noises on the left side when there's pressure or bumps against it. I read that this might be a loose screw or something, is that true?

(None of my torx screws seem to fit/I'm afraid of stripping them somehow if it just needs some pressure)

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

1997 posted:

SMART status isn't the best indicator of whether or not a drive is failing. If you're hearing those noises and get the folder with question mark then your drive is very likely failing. Backup if you can, then get a new drive.

That was my first impression, but the problem has been going on for a month now. And every time I take the battery out put it back in it seems to "reseat" itself or whatever it ends up working again with no complaints.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Peven Stan posted:

That was my first impression, but the problem has been going on for a month now. And every time I take the battery out put it back in it seems to "reseat" itself or whatever it ends up working again with no complaints.

A slow death is still a death.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Neurophonic posted:

A slow death is still a death.

Good point. I will order a new drive soon.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Sulk posted:

My MBA has recently started making little creak/crack noises on the left side when there's pressure or bumps against it. I read that this might be a loose screw or something, is that true?

(None of my torx screws seem to fit/I'm afraid of stripping them somehow if it just needs some pressure)
I believe they're pentalobular screws, kind of rounded five point things that don't work with Torx. I'm guessing this kit has the right screwdriver for it along with a bunch more. (sure you can get just one screwdriver for like $5 but gently caress it, might as well get it all for a bit more if you have other machines)

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
AppleCare is also worthwhile because it is transferable, so if you do decide to sell your laptop and there is a year or even two on your AppleCare it helps resale value even more. I squeezed out another 100 on the sale of my used unibody macbook because I had 6 months of applecare left on it, which meant to the guy I was selling it too could run it through its paces and have coverage if he ran into any problems.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
So I've a got a PC and Mac and am about to buy the new iPad.

I would like to be able to control all devices from one keyboard and mouse.

I've sorted the PC to Mac thing with this inexpensive cable: http://www.j5create.com/juc400.htm

What's the best way to get a cursor on the iPad?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 9, 2012

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

KingEup posted:

What's the best way to get a cursor on the iPad?

Form your right finger and thumb into a backwards L shape, with your remaining fingers somewhat curled in (but not tightly balled up like you're making a fist) then hover that hand momentarily over your iPad.

The standard link-clicking cursor (see below) should appear hovering over the content of your iPad (note: iPad cursor is ultra-high-res and hopefully 3D). You can use it to click links, buttons, and drag-to-scroll. Other features may be discovered by using different cursor styles.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Neurophonic posted:

I might be acting stupidly here, but if it's perfectly flush, isn't it going to be a bitch to remove?

It could be, but the way I see it is that as long as it is possible to remove (with tweezers or something) then it's good, as I never use that port and want permanent storage.

One guy in that thread solved this problem by putting a tab on the card which can tuck away inside the port. Still looks flush and you can pull it out easily too!

I'm in Australia so I can see it being a bitch to find one of those cards, no idea if dealextreme ship here.