Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That sounds like bad grounding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Do any Apple products even have a prong for grounding?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

what the gently caress why is grounding optional :psyduck:

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Mister Facetious posted:

I don’t know what iMac power cables look like, but the power brick extension cable has always been grounded: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK122LL/A/power-adapter-extension-cable

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mister Facetious posted:

The desktop Macs do, but the notebooks usually don’t now. Though the larger notebook USB chargers can have the wall plug switched to the cable with three prong connection.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Two prong so grounding seems like it isn't it. Mine is a recent Anker charger that can QC the M2Max I'm running and his is whatever capacity apple charger they shipped with the old touchbar MBPs. I'd be interested to see if the problem came up with magsafe, but I didn't pack mine.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

It makes me wonder if the outlet itself is properly grounded.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TACD posted:

welcome to america

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

TACD posted:

Requiring grounding plugs would put undue burden on manufacturers and limit innovation.

or something like that, idk

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Warbird posted:

This isn't a Mac thing per se, but I figure someone here might have some insight. I'm visiting some family and they appear to have a cursed wall outlet. The trackpad on my mac is flakey when charging off of it on multiple cords and chargers and my Windows laptop's trackpad straight up stops working. My BiL confirms that he has similar issues on his MBP but had attributed it to age.

So that's fuckey wiring but does anyone suspect as to the nature of the fuckey-ness? Bad grounding?

In your position I would start with an outlet tester and see if it says anything unusual, e.g. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Digital-30-250V-Test-Meter/1001799404 There are cheaper models, but the voltage readout is a nice addition.

You could also probe it with a multimeter if you feel comfortable with using one, but if not then the outlet tester is an easy way to detect a lot of basic issues.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Outlet tester came back reporting no issues.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

I think most modern day electronics are well built to avoid necessitating a grounding plug but idk at the end of the day.

Could it be your surge protector giving issues?

I believe some electric currents are "dirty" in the sense that they could affect other nearby devices with their fluctuations in current.

I use an isolating surge protector for all of my devices.

ISOBAR or PANAMAX are my go to.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Plugged directly into the wall, but it's an interesting idea. Juice isn't worth the squeeze in this case but I'll mention it to them as a possible solution.

Edit: Looks like the fingerprint sensor also straight up stops working when on this outlet. That's weird as hell.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 25, 2024

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have pros and cons about US and UK plugs as that’s the two I’ve spent my life dealing with, and one of the pros the UK gets is never having cables just fall out of the wall.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Roadie posted:

Also, if it's just a random USB-C cable it might be USB 3-something and not USB4 (yes, the spaces are different).

Most USB-C cables are actually USB 2.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Badly Jester posted:

Aside from my gaming PC being ancient at this point, my experience with Steam Link is pretty disappointing. With everything being wired, I still get stuff like compression artifacts in dark scenes and other, random drops in performance. What I really want is GeForce Now on Apple TV, but I don't see happening any time soon .

Sucks to hear, it’s working out for me. GeForce Now could be on the way with recent updates:

https://www.pcgamer.com/apple-appstore-opens-up-to-game-streaming-including-nvidias-geforce-now/

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Followup, I'm now in a different room on a different circuit and am seeing the same nonsense as before. Also notably my windows machine is now hooked up to a USB C monitor deal getting power on a different plug entirely and is doing the same trackpad is kill nonsense. I'd be going absolutely insane if I hadn't grabbed my mouse to take with me. I wonder what in the hell is going on.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
did whatever outlet tester you used report that it was successfully grounded?

imo either it’s a whole house grounding issue or there’s some weird not quite sine wave thing happening

do the occupants report any other kind of electrical issues or things dying early

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Warbird posted:

Followup, I'm now in a different room on a different circuit and am seeing the same nonsense as before. Also notably my windows machine is now hooked up to a USB C monitor deal getting power on a different plug entirely and is doing the same trackpad is kill nonsense. I'd be going absolutely insane if I hadn't grabbed my mouse to take with me. I wonder what in the hell is going on.

Have you considered ghosts?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I think gremlins are the industry term, but I won't rule them out.

mediaphage posted:

did whatever outlet tester you used report that it was successfully grounded?

imo either it’s a whole house grounding issue or there’s some weird not quite sine wave thing happening

do the occupants report any other kind of electrical issues or things dying early

All plugs tested came back just fine. The owner did note that he had a history of stuff being a bit weird (laptops with similar stuff, bike resistance whatsits that wouldn't work right, ect) over the half decade they've been here. No idea if the neighbors have similar issues.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

right i guess i didn’t know what exactly the outlet tester tests. i’ve never used one just a multimeter.

definitely sounds like either a house or neighbourhood thing tho

probably not worth it for a short trip but if this is somewhere you’ll visit often might consider a small ups to bring along next time

Warbird
May 23, 2012

iirc he has one that his NAS is on. I should ask where that is and see if that's going on there. It's not enough of a problem that I'd want to set up shop over there but I am getting increasingly curious as to what in blazes is going on.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Is someone trying to go back in time?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Tulip

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
Has anyone run into issues with the internal display when unplugging from a Thunderbolt dock? Whenever I unplug my M3 Pro MBP, my internal display's resolution scaling stops working, and when I go into Displays to fix it, the resolution scaling slider is just gone. This is on Sonoma 14.4 and 14.4.1 with my CalDigit TS3Plus and two monitors.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i feel like i have come across this issue in years past so i wonder if its less a tb dock thing and more some disconnecting displays bug deep in macOS

anyway this isn't an answer or anything, but i really like quickres (of course i bought it for $4 in 2014 and it's now $15 so less of a snap decision maybe) if you can't figure out a better solution

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

FYI: Woot has M1 Ultra Studios, the base SKU, new in box for $2200 right now. It’d still be eligible for AppleCare too. It’s a good price given that Apple’s refurb price for the base SKU is around $3000.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Please send me away with dishonor if this is not the right thread for this question.

I am in the market for one of those external displays that attach to my Macbook Pro (14" M1 Max) so that I can have an extra display on the go. There's a wide variety of them on Amazon and it's been a bit hard to tell the poo poo from the shinola. There seem to be some very overpriced ones out there I am unsure if are worth the price or just adding the Apple tax onto it.

As far as a use case, I'd like something that had a resolution similar to my primary display (which is 1800x1169), attaches and detaches relatively easily, and doesn't require a kickstand as a lot of the usage will be on my lap and not a table. All I have seen are to the sides of the existing monitor, but one that goes above is not something that I would reject.

If anyone has experience with any quality ones, I would appreciate the feedback/input. I'm not above spending several hundred for this solution as it will be very beneficial to me, just not interested in doing it unnecessarily for being a rube.

Thank you all in advance!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TraderStav posted:

Please send me away with dishonor if this is not the right thread for this question.

I am in the market for one of those external displays that attach to my Macbook Pro (14" M1 Max) so that I can have an extra display on the go. There's a wide variety of them on Amazon and it's been a bit hard to tell the poo poo from the shinola. There seem to be some very overpriced ones out there I am unsure if are worth the price or just adding the Apple tax onto it.

As far as a use case, I'd like something that had a resolution similar to my primary display (which is 1800x1169), attaches and detaches relatively easily, and doesn't require a kickstand as a lot of the usage will be on my lap and not a table. All I have seen are to the sides of the existing monitor, but one that goes above is not something that I would reject.

If anyone has experience with any quality ones, I would appreciate the feedback/input. I'm not above spending several hundred for this solution as it will be very beneficial to me, just not interested in doing it unnecessarily for being a rube.

Thank you all in advance!

Get an iPad and use Sidecar. It’s built into the OS.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

Get an iPad and use Sidecar. It’s built into the OS.

I have an iPad, both a pro and a Mini. Perhaps I should be looking at attachments for the iPad to the Macbook. That is the requirement, that they are together.

e: This is an interesting and potentially not too invasive of a solution! Link

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 29, 2024

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I dunno if I'd want to use products like that. Putting lots of weight out to the side with a long lever arm doesn't seem great, that'll put a lot of stress on the computer's display hinges that Apple didn't design for.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hrmm, that is definitely an important consideration. I've seen a lot in the wild and the reviews for all of these products seem to not highlight that as a problem. At least, it's not an immediate problem but could become one over time.

I'll try it out and see how it feels and if it's straining more than it should. Maybe I'll just use it with my Mini which surely couldn't add that much strain and MAY just be enough extra screen for my use case.

Looks like I may have to use an app like Duet though as Sidecar doesn't seem to support Portrait mode, wtf apple.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there something that’s causes Bluetooth mice to act so poorly on M-series MacBooks? Mouse will work fine, then when I leave it and the computer to idle/ sleep for 20 minutes, upon return the mouse movement will be incredibly laggy. This doesn’t happen do I use the dongle, only with Bluetooth. Reddit seems to think it’s a problem with M series Macs, but it’s all just hearsay.

I also use Mac Mouse Fix, but I don’t think that’s the issue since dongle connection always works regardless?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I don't think it's just hear-say. Electronically, USB3 ports interfere with wireless signals in the immediate vicinity. I have the same issue with my Caldigit dock, where I can solve mouse issues by not plugging the dongle directly into it, and instead putting a simple 10 cm USB extender between the dongle and the dock to create some space.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it doesn’t seem like this is a wireless interference issue since it works fine in the beginning. wonder if there’s some bluetooth sleep function but going on

haven’t noticed but i’ve only used apple bluetooth accessories with it

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

buglord posted:

Is there something that’s causes Bluetooth mice to act so poorly on M-series MacBooks? Mouse will work fine, then when I leave it and the computer to idle/ sleep for 20 minutes, upon return the mouse movement will be incredibly laggy. This doesn’t happen do I use the dongle, only with Bluetooth. Reddit seems to think it’s a problem with M series Macs, but it’s all just hearsay.

I also use Mac Mouse Fix, but I don’t think that’s the issue since dongle connection always works regardless?

I use bluetooth with the mx master 3 and the main wake-from-sleep problem I have is it takes a few seconds for logi options+ to wake up and fix the scroll wheel direction

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Whoa Ventura has a built in hardware display calibration tool for Mac displays. This is new for Ventura right? Was it available in 14.0? TBH this should have been a thing long ago.

Edit: aww it only works with $15k-40k spectral meters

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 5, 2024

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Is this worth the asking price at this point in Early 2024? It's brand new, so that's nice. Sees to be a super good deal for someone like me, who isn't transcoding Hollywood films on his computer. I just want a solid Mac/solid deal to last me the next 6-7 yrs or so.

This it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/386872420875?epid=3057321076&itmmeta=01HTTPZEQDAZ3KW69DR8C194JR&hash=item5a1364aa0b:g:SG4AAOSw3Udl-xJk

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Is this worth the asking price at this point in Early 2024? It's brand new, so that's nice. Sees to be a super good deal for someone like me, who isn't transcoding Hollywood films on his computer. I just want a solid Mac/solid deal to last me the next 6-7 yrs or so.

This it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/386872420875?epid=3057321076&itmmeta=01HTTPZEQDAZ3KW69DR8C194JR&hash=item5a1364aa0b:g:SG4AAOSw3Udl-xJk

looks like a steal to me tbh. if the ram weren’t so high i’d say just buy a new m3 air but you can’t get 32gb and if you could it’d be like 600 bucks lol

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

mediaphage posted:

looks like a steal to me tbh. if the ram weren’t so high i’d say just buy a new m3 air but you can’t get 32gb and if you could it’d be like 600 bucks lol

Cool, thanks. I HAVE to have those speakers in the 16", as silly as that may sound. They are so, so good. The extra screen space is also essentially required since I multi-task like a crack head.

Probably going to bite before they are gone. I can't seem to find a hole in this theory and with 60-day returns, I might as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Cool, thanks. I HAVE to have those speakers in the 16", as silly as that may sound. They are so, so good. The extra screen space is also essentially required since I multi-task like a crack head.

Probably going to bite before they are gone. I can't seem to find a hole in this theory and with 60-day returns, I might as well.

it’s not silly at all, i get the importance of good sound lol