Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Updating the firmware ended up fixing my keyboard, but my debit card failed authorization for the free Lion upgrade. Long story short, my debit card has an obtuse fraud protection system that won't allow any transactions from Apple's website, even if they're zero dollars. I'm going to have to buy an iTunes gift card, but I wanted to buy Puzzle Agent anyway so it's no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Those drives usually have other benefits than just negotiation speed: longer warranty, more cache, etc.

But I'm still not sure what drives he's comparing.

That's true, though the only 2.5-inch 6 GB/s HDDs I could find are enterprise-level, which from what I can tell wouldn't even likely fit in his MBP.

I'm really curious now to see what drives he was looking at too.

Shin-chan posted:

I understand this, that's why I commented what I did. If it's only a $5 difference on an SSD, I can't believe it would add $80 to a HDD.
If he's looking at enterprise-level drives (as I'm suspecting), they come with other improvements that contribute towards the cost increase: higher rotational speeds, the larger cache sizes, etc.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SourKraut posted:

That's true, though the only 2.5-inch 6 GB/s HDDs I could find are enterprise-level, which from what I can tell wouldn't even likely fit in his MBP.

I'm really curious now to see what drives he was looking at too.
2.5" enterprise drives won't fit in a laptop anyway. He really needs to just tell us what drives he's looking at.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!
^What he said.

SourKraut posted:

If he's looking at enterprise-level drives (as I'm suspecting), they come with other improvements that contribute towards the cost increase: higher rotational speeds, the larger cache sizes, etc.

But what I've been trying to say was that between two otherwise identical SSDs, there was only a $5 for the SATA-III model over the SATA-II model.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Shin-chan posted:

^What he said.

But what I've been trying to say was that between two otherwise identical SSDs, there was only a $5 for the SATA-III model over the SATA-II model.
Yes, I understand your argument. However, until we know for sure what drives he's referring to, all we have to go off of is the fact that he looked at a 3 GB/s 2.5-inch drive, and a 6 GB/s 2.5-inch drive, and found a "$80 difference". Now, if you go out and try to search for 2.5-inch 6 GB/s drives, all you'll probably find are enterprise-class drives, with greater feature sets.

There is literally no "these two drives are identical, except one is 3 GB/s and the other 6 GB/s" for 2.5-inch mechanical drives, and thus you can't make the same comparison as you did with your SSD. The closest it appears you can get is the Seagate consumer-focused Momentus line to that of the Seagate Constellation line, but the Constellation line offers double the cache, 6 GB/s thoroughput, etc. Ultimately, all of the enterprise-class drives are more expensive because they offer other benefits besides "SATA-II vs. SATA-III". There simply aren't two identical-except-SATA speed drives for the argument to be comparative.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
So my kindle with special offers just gave me a 20% off laptops code at amazon, was planning on selling it but the terms of it forbid it, so does this mean I should buy a low end macbook air?

Unfortunately they are all the previous models:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_lin...&rnid=562215011

Low end Macbook Air for 834 - 20% - 3% back on Amazon visa, we're down in the low $600's...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I dunno. There's a pretty big leap in performance from the old Air and the new ones.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

MrEnigma posted:

So my kindle with special offers just gave me a 20% off laptops code at amazon, was planning on selling it but the terms of it forbid it, so does this mean I should buy a low end macbook air?

Unfortunately they are all the previous models:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_lin...&rnid=562215011

Low end Macbook Air for 834 - 20% - 3% back on Amazon visa, we're down in the low $600's...

Can you try it on one of the newer systems? I read that some were able to with success.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

SourKraut posted:

Can you try it on one of the newer systems? I read that some were able to with success.

I'm holding off on entering the code for now, but I may try it out later.

Edit: I guess technically I guy buy the laptop and then sell that to someone, wouldn't violate this.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 6, 2011

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
(General thanks for all of the replies)

fleshweasel posted:

whether it's sata 3gb/s or 6gb/s won't make a difference; hard drives simply can't make use of that much bandwidth.

Excellent, thanks.

Rabid Snake posted:

What kind of developing (programming) will you be doing? I'd go SSD + External HD route if you can afford it.

This isn't much of a concern, I don't think. Mostly Obj-C and Java stuff. I was thinking that the speed of the hard drive might help with the frequent compiling.

Doc Faustus posted:

The faster drive speed *might* help if your ability to move photos on/off of cameras or storage was being slowed by the HD, but I think it's usually the opposite. And unless something has changed since I last did programming, it's not typically a HD-intensive undertaking.

For the photos, I was thinking the faster drive would help with the reading/writing during editing.

No mechanical drive is going to saturate the bus anyway. Don't pay for 6Gb/s on a hard drive.

Also what 1TB are you getting? And what 6Gb/s drive are you seeing for $80 more? Very little about this adds up.

No mechanical drive is going to saturate the bus anyway. Don't pay for 6Gb/s on a hard drive.

Also what 1TB are you getting? And what 6Gb/s drive are you seeing for $80 more? Very little about this adds up.

This is the 1TB drive I was originally looking at. As it turns out, the other drive is moot because, as was pointed out, it won't physically fit, but it was this one.

Maddalo
May 12, 2011

Hello, I am going to art school for Illustration and Animation.
My school website recommends getting this Mac:
http://store.apple.com/us_edu_5001003/recommended

It seems a bit much - not to mention expensive.
I'd basically just be using it to run these programs:
Adobe Creative Suite Design Standard (includes Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign)
Microsoft Office
Google Sketchup Pro
Autodesk Sketchbook Pro
Adobe Creative Suite Premium.

Do you think it's too much Mac for what I'd be doing?
My MacFriend Zelah recommend this instead:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC372LL/A?mco=MTgwOTc3MTg

I'm much more happy with the price of the latter obviously, but do you think it will suffice?

Thanks.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Maddalo posted:

Thanks.
The latter will do the trick, but if you can get the extra $90 together, try to get a Sandy Bridge refurb. Ignore the clock speed discrepancy. The Sandy Bridge notebook is a quad-core, has double the cache, and can turbo up to 2.9GHz in single-threaded tasks. It will smoke the old Arrandale design.

For $90, I'd say it's absolutely worth it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The latter will do the trick, but if you can get the extra $90 together, try to get a Sandy Bridge refurb. Ignore the clock speed discrepancy. The Sandy Bridge notebook is a quad-core, has double the cache, and can turbo up to 2.9GHz in single-threaded tasks. It will smoke the old Arrandale design.

For $90, I'd say it's absolutely worth it.

Absolutely get the Sandy Bridge, everything SWSP said + more battery life and a Thunderbolt port for the future.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

Thunderbolt port for the future
This too. The jury's still out on if Thunderbolt will be The Next Big Thing, but it's looking promising. It would be a shame to see a ton of great TB peripherals in a couple of years that you can't use.

I understand being a student on a budget, and how there's always the "for X dollars more you get Y more" argument no matter how much you spend with technology. There's always the hi-res upgrade, more RAM, and an SSD. Some of those can be added later. But just estimating your budget right now: Arrandale to Sandy Bridge for an additional $90 is going to be the absolute best bang for your buck.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I really hope things starting coming out for thunderbolt, at least as common as firewire. External video card enclosures seem promising, although i would just like an external hdd box. Still not crazy about cracking open the iMac, suppose that might change in 3-5 months when I'm wanting more speed...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MrEnigma posted:

Still not crazy about cracking open the iMac
It's a bit daunting at first, but the drive swap was actually pretty easy if you have the right tools, a nice clean workspace, and the iFixIt guide printed out ahead of time.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

It's a bit daunting at first, but the drive swap was actually pretty easy if you have the right tools, a nice clean workspace, and the iFixIt guide printed out ahead of time.

I am wanting to add a second drive, which I think means pulling the mobo out if I remember correctly? Then there are all kinds of random cables people are using, and doesn't seem to be a unified guide last time I checked (although that was right after the TB iMac's came out)

Also not all that thrilled about having a somewhat high failing type of drive in, or having the firmware updated after it's installed.

But I'll still probably end up doing it...

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

What's the best way to get a bootable copy of Ubuntu on a USB flash drive on a mac? I followed the instructions on the Ubuntu website and they didn't work and Googling leads to years old forum posts.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Maddalo posted:

I'd basically just be using it to run these programs:
Adobe Creative Suite Design Standard (includes Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign)
Microsoft Office
Google Sketchup Pro
Autodesk Sketchbook Pro
Adobe Creative Suite Premium.
This stuff can be done on pretty much anything going a while back can't it? Ignoring that, go with what the others said and get a Sandy Bridge model at least.

MrEnigma posted:

I really hope things starting coming out for thunderbolt, at least as common as firewire. External video card enclosures seem promising, although i would just like an external hdd box. Still not crazy about cracking open the iMac, suppose that might change in 3-5 months when I'm wanting more speed...
Well you could stick an eSATA card in one of those enclosures for an overly elaborate expensive eSATA adapter (...I might do this with Sonnet's short one depending on price if nothing else comes out). I figure it'll be a while until there are empty enclosures just cause the bigger companies will probably be milking that space as long as they can.

Specialbear
Jan 6, 2007
Not that type of special
Can someone please help me out? I was looking at craigslist for various MacBooks for my brother. I am not at all savvy in regards to specs, so if someone could let me know if this is a good deal I would greatly appreciate it.

It is a 17'' Macbook Pro that was released on 2/24/11 and bought a month later. I can verify that it was bought in March, but had no idea that a new model was released in February.

It includes:

Thunderbolt Port
2.2Ghz quad-core Intel i7 with 6M cash
4GB Ram
750GB HDD
17 inch LED-backlit LCD, 1920 X 1200
Intel HD 3000 + AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5 memory

Asking price is 1500.

All i could tell was that the same 17'' MBP retails for like 2600 or so brand new.

Is there a catch? Should I be suspicious?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I'd guess stolen or scam, like they'll ask you to send money somewhere and they'll mail you the MBP. Or something is wrong or they're just getting rid of it without caring about the actual value (like desperately selling to feed some other addiction).

:iiam:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

All cheap Macbooks on CL are scams.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

All cheap Macbooks on CL are scams.

Seriously, all of them. I've responded to maybe over two dozen ads for cheap i5/i7 MBPs and every. single. one. has been a variation of the same scam.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Best Buy is selling their C2D 11" Airs for $832

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Best Buy is selling their C2D 11" Airs for $832

Today I bought a kindle for a 20% off code on the new MacBook air. Wasn't planning on upgrading but I did want the 256gb drive.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 6, 2011

Specialbear
Jan 6, 2007
Not that type of special

Oneiros posted:

Seriously, all of them. I've responded to maybe over two dozen ads for cheap i5/i7 MBPs and every. single. one. has been a variation of the same scam.

What is the scam?

I figured I could use the receipt and the serial number and verify proof of purchase through Apple. Would this be the way to go to ensure all stats are accurate?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Specialbear posted:

What is the scam?

I figured I could use the receipt and the serial number and verify proof of purchase through Apple. Would this be the way to go to ensure all stats are accurate?

Either they talk you into accepting a forged cashier's check, or they ask for the money up front and tell you they'll ship it (uh huh), or when you go to pick it up, they knock you out and harvest your kidneys. Either way, it's probably best you avoid.

Don't try to think you can manage to turn it into a legit deal - you can't. You'll end up getting ripped off.

Specialbear
Jan 6, 2007
Not that type of special

Doctor Zero posted:

Either they talk you into accepting a forged cashier's check, or they ask for the money up front and tell you they'll ship it (uh huh), or when you go to pick it up, they knock you out and harvest your kidneys. Either way, it's probably best you avoid.

Don't try to think you can manage to turn it into a legit deal - you can't. You'll end up getting ripped off.

Yeah I guess i'll avoid. Thanks all for the advice

Duper
Nov 20, 2008

by T. Mascis
If you're in the market for a Macbook, I highhhhhly suggest you get one of those 20% off laptops coupons for Amazon.

Ordered my 13" base Air for $990 yesterday, no tax.

You can find em on eBay. Although they cost like 50 bucks last I checked, you're saving much more.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Here I was smug about the 15% off I got on my MBA through the F&F discount and now I see I missed out on saving 20%. And to add to the insult, I should have saved the money and bought the ad version of the Kindle instead.

Just sold my revb whitebook from 2006 to a dude on craigslist. Specs:

C2D 1.83
320 gb HD
4 gigs of Ram (Only 3.25 are usable)
New battery/top case

I put it up for $400. Mac2sell had it for $350, so I thought I did pretty well although the overwhelming response on CL makes me think I could have gotten more for it. Kind of sad to see it go. I originally bought it in 2006 as a reva macbook. It was my first mac since an old mac SE we had growing up. It was kind of a mess for the first year and ended up getting replaced with a revb but i've essentially had the same computer since 2006.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I went into the SF store yesterday to buy a Macbook air. The prices were different than they were online. A macbook air with an i7 was about $1,699. Or I could get a macbook pro with a 2.7ghz i7 for about $1499. Made no sense to get the air so I went with the pro. I also got the level 8 bag, are these things okay to wear out in the rain?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Enigma89 posted:

I went into the SF store yesterday to buy a Macbook air. The prices were different than they were online. A macbook air with an i7 was about $1,699.
That's the correct price for a 256GB, i7, 4GB of RAM MacBook Air both in-store and online. Not sure where you were seeing anything different.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
How does the i7 compare to the best i5 on the MBAs? Is hyperthreading that important? I want it to replace my blackbook as my primary surfing/dicking around/basic work machine and I'd like to keep the 13" form factor- though I still haven't ruled out the 11" portability and price. It sucks that the i7 on the 13" is only available on the most spec'd out model, because I don't need that much memory/can't justify the price.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

How does the i7 compare to the best i5 on the MBAs? Is hyperthreading that important? I want it to replace my blackbook as my primary surfing/dicking around/basic work machine and I'd like to keep the 13" form factor- though I still haven't ruled out the 11" portability and price. It sucks that the i7 on the 13" is only available on the most spec'd out model, because I don't need that much memory/can't justify the price.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4554/apples-11inch-macbook-air-core-i7-18ghz-review-update

edit: Also they all have Hyper-Threading.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 6, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If it's just for dicking around stick with the default. It's more than powerful enough and it also blows away your blackbook

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

For the 11" get the i7, for the 13" get the i5 and use the money to get a cool case. For the 13 the i5 v i7 is really just epeen, if you *really* need an i7 you're better off getting a macbook pro or an iMac for the high powered stuff you'd need to justify getting it.

The bookbook case is cool as hell by the way.

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

What is the bare minimum hardware specs you all would recommend for an apple home file server. What I want to do with it:

1. Serve files to 2 laptops and 1-2 media players

2. iTunes: manage my music and fill up iPhone

3. torrents

4. Time machine backups of two laptops

5. misc server softwares, squeezebox, etc.

My first thought was a Mac Mini and external storage, but cruising Craigslist, I've found some older dual 2ghz G5 towers that would be perfect form factor. I know they aren't as powerful as new Intels, but I feel like it's enough juice for my needs. My only problem is forward compatibility. I think PowerPC chips can run 10.5 but nothing newer? Is that a huge problem for what I need it for?

On Unicornback fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 6, 2011

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

No it would handle those tasks fine but G5 Powermacs will use a lot more electricity and are noisy as hell. Get a used Mini if you can.

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

MOLLUSC posted:

No it would handle those tasks fine but G5 Powermacs will use a lot more electricity and are noisy as hell. Get a used Mini if you can.

So would an Intel Single Core/Core Duo mac mini be sufficient as far as future compatibility? I'm most worried about the latest iTunes at some point needing Lion or something B(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

On Unicornback posted:

So would an Intel Single Core/Core Duo mac mini be sufficient as far as future compatibility? I'm most worried about the latest iTunes at some point needing Lion or something B(

Aren't the first-gen mac minis 32 bit? Doesn't lion require 64 bit procs?