Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aca
Dec 19, 2004
heh

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I considered giving you some advice- but since you came in here guns blazing with a major bee in your bonnet, didn't take the time to follow basic grammar- and since we're all apparently fags here anyway- I'm just gonna tell you to follow your heart. :allears:

Dude if you can't take a joke and just want to sit at your computer and nitpick grammar on the Internet you should take some time look at your life and grow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
You could also be mature and not use gay slurs when asking for help.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

aca posted:

Dude if you can't take a joke and just want to sit at your computer and nitpick grammar on the Internet you should take some time look at your life and grow up.

Or I could take some time- like, all of 5 seconds- to look at your life and say, "you've been here since 2004, so why don't you do some growing up and act like a loving adult, you dopey twat?"

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I read the OP and the last 5 pages of the thread and didn't see an answer, so sorry if this comes up frequently:

I just got a 2012 i5 Mac Mini which I've hooked up to my 40" HDTV via HDMI, set at 1080p. When I'm sitting on my couch across the room, the interface and text are nearly unreadable. The entire desktop fits perfectly on the screen, everything is just too small to read. I bumped up the text and cursor sizes, but that doesn't apply to the rest of the interface, or to applications. I think I recall reading that setting the resolution to HiDPI would help somehow, but the option doesn't appear under Displays settings. I have Overscan checked.

Is there any way to make everything bigger at once, or is it just going to be a matter of switching settings for each program?

Millions fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 31, 2012

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hold control and spin your scroll wheel.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Sooo... Apparently my old B/G Airport Express isn't working with iTunes 11. I can stream from my phone OK, but when I try from iTunes 11 on my computer (osx 10.8) the little airplay icon disappears from my iPhone and from iTunes. Then I have to reset the AE to get it going again.

What gives?! Is it because I'm using the older AE? I recall it working OK with the previous version of iTunes.

edit: welp now it's working again. it's moody. what the hell.

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 1, 2013

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Ugh, I need help.

I have a 2012 Macbook Air, all updated to the latest everything. I had to restore from Time Machine recently and lost the Power Nap feature. It's still selected in Energy Saver preferences but it doesn't do backups/mail check/anything else while sleeping.

I've done:

SMC Reset (many times)
PRAM reset (many times)
Restored again from backup, reinstalled 10.8.2 and used migration assistant
Deleted spotlight references and rebuilt them from backups disks
Removed all my backups, started new backups and tried to restore from them
Tried to do the SMC firmware update again (doesn't work, says machine is incompatible, yes I've used the right one from my 2012 MBA)

All of this seems to be the recommended steps to solving the problem, and none of it works. I figured I'd ask here before I bring my machine to the Apple Store because Lord knows what they'd do or how long it would take to fix.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

vas0line posted:

Sooo... Apparently my old B/G Airport Express isn't working with iTunes 11. I can stream from my phone OK, but when I try from iTunes 11 on my computer (osx 10.8) the little airplay icon disappears from my iPhone and from iTunes. Then I have to reset the AE to get it going again.

What gives?! Is it because I'm using the older AE? I recall it working OK with the previous version of iTunes.

edit: welp now it's working again. it's moody. what the hell.

The Airport card may be about to check out on you. I had one of similar vintage that would intermittently (and increasingly frequently) drop the connection after a certain number of packets before it finally died.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Midjack posted:

The Airport card may be about to check out on you. I had one of similar vintage that would intermittently (and increasingly frequently) drop the connection after a certain number of packets before it finally died.
Interesting. Perhaps I'll find a way to keep track of how many packets are being sent before it drops.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

got dat wmd posted:

Ugh, I need help.

I have a 2012 Macbook Air, all updated to the latest everything. I had to restore from Time Machine recently and lost the Power Nap feature. It's still selected in Energy Saver preferences but it doesn't do backups/mail check/anything else while sleeping.

I've done:

SMC Reset (many times)
PRAM reset (many times)
Restored again from backup, reinstalled 10.8.2 and used migration assistant
Deleted spotlight references and rebuilt them from backups disks
Removed all my backups, started new backups and tried to restore from them
Tried to do the SMC firmware update again (doesn't work, says machine is incompatible, yes I've used the right one from my 2012 MBA)

All of this seems to be the recommended steps to solving the problem, and none of it works. I figured I'd ask here before I bring my machine to the Apple Store because Lord knows what they'd do or how long it would take to fix.

Whats the make of the backup drive and how do you have it plugged in, via USB 3.0 or 2.0 cables or a hub?

Also, Power Nap won't run if battery is below 30%.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 1, 2013

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
It's backing up to a Time Capsule. This worked fine before and nothing has changed to it.

It's on power and Power Nap doesn't do backups on battery anyway.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

No, it takes 15 or so bucks to pass that threshold. I'm sure someone could have pointed me to some eBay seller or Chinese electronics site that would have sold me the requisite parts for $8 plus $5 shipping; $25 from OWC was close enough that it was worth it to me to just have it included in my SSD purchase rather than deal with finding and trusting another seller. When I initially posted I'd just assumed it would cost around $69 from OWC (I swear that's the price I saw a few months back but maybe it was for something else). Obviously I should have checked first.
But how much did the SSD cost?

Millions posted:

I read the OP and the last 5 pages of the thread and didn't see an answer, so sorry if this comes up frequently:

I just got a 2012 i5 Mac Mini which I've hooked up to my 40" HDTV via HDMI, set at 1080p. When I'm sitting on my couch across the room, the interface and text are nearly unreadable. The entire desktop fits perfectly on the screen, everything is just too small to read. I bumped up the text and cursor sizes, but that doesn't apply to the rest of the interface, or to applications. I think I recall reading that setting the resolution to HiDPI would help somehow, but the option doesn't appear under Displays settings. I have Overscan checked.

Is there any way to make everything bigger at once, or is it just going to be a matter of switching settings for each program?
For HiDPI I guess try this command: https://gist.github.com/3191869
Keep in mind the effective resolution will be 960x540 which might be cramped. No clue if the higher res modes (a la the retina MBPs) will be available but that'd be a better option...or just run at 720p?

(Or do the screen zoom thing as mentioned before)

vas0line posted:

Interesting. Perhaps I'll find a way to keep track of how many packets are being sent before it drops.
Yeah the older AP Express just dies eventually iirc, I think mine is going through a slow decline too. I've been using it as a print server but it hasn't been reliable for a while now. There's DIY repair guides for it around, looks like it's the power supply that usually dies.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
I've noticed the screen on my macbook pro turns a bluish hue whenever I open certain applications (e.g. iPhoto, Photoshop, Ableton Live.) Have any of you come across this issue?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Dan Hollis posted:

I've noticed the screen on my macbook pro turns a bluish hue whenever I open certain applications (e.g. iPhoto, Photoshop, Ableton Live.) Have any of you come across this issue?

Known issue. Apple's "fix" is to disable automatic graphics switching in energy saver.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

japtor posted:

But how much did the SSD cost?

$78 for 60 GB / SATA 3.0. I've always found their SSDs to be high quality with a good warranty for a reasonable price. I have four others in various Macs around the house. Any reason to suspect otherwise?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
So this is what Disk Utility says after I format my new Intel 330 SSD: http://db.tt/bXmxETZJ

But this happens after anything tries to put stuff on it: http://db.tt/KBP1Hlqa

Seems like I have a bad SSD?

(Apologies for Dropbox image links, posting from iPad)

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

cbirdsong posted:

Seems like I have a bad SSD?
Seems like it. Or if you have a 2009/2010 MacBook Pro, it could be the cable.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dan Hollis posted:

A smc and pram reset drastically reduced how often this happens to me.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I got my Time Capsule all set up...and I was looking into Time Machine, but I'm not sure if I want to use it.

From what I read, it'll basically take a periodic snapshot of your machine and keep backing up the entire machine until the Time Capsule is full...is that correct?

Can I just have it back up certain folders and look for changes to those folders, or is it an all-or-nothing deal?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ozmodiar posted:

I got my Time Capsule all set up...and I was looking into Time Machine, but I'm not sure if I want to use it.

From what I read, it'll basically take a periodic snapshot of your machine and keep backing up the entire machine until the Time Capsule is full...is that correct?

Can I just have it back up certain folders and look for changes to those folders, or is it an all-or-nothing deal?

In the time machine preferences you can have to ignore folders. Otherwise its all or nothing. There is a way to limit the amount of space it can use but you will need to google for more information.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ozmodiar posted:

You can exclude certain folders but I think there's some basic stuff like the system files that it'll always back up. If you're worried about space, it actually only takes a full backup the first time and then just makes delta copies of any changes made to files after that similar to how Previous Versions/Volume Shadow Copy work in Windows 7. Time machine is really good at what it does for how simple it is to use and I don't really think you'd gain anything from not using it. Maybe partition the Time Capsule if you're worried about it filling the whole partition?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Thanks guys.

How do I partition the drive? I didn't see anything in the settings to let me do that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

Thanks guys.

How do I partition the drive? I didn't see anything in the settings to let me do that.

Disk Utility. Click on the physical volume (not the logical volume) on the sidebar on the left and choose partition from the tabs in the window.

EDIT VVV Well that sucks.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 2, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You can't partition a time capsule. I believe you can modify the sparse image to limit the space.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Midjack posted:

Disk Utility. Click on the physical volume (not the logical volume) on the sidebar on the left and choose partition from the tabs in the window.

Also make sure you partition the drive first, click on partition, select the physical volume, select 1 partition, then click on the options button at the bottom and make sure GUID partition format is selected. After partitioning, format the drive as HFS Extended (journaled). That should fix things.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Keep in mind that once the Time Machine drive fills up, it deletes the oldest delta copies.

Like Mercurius said, it's not like the thing is going to make a full copy of your drive every single time it backs up either. Once it has a full copy, each subsequent backup is just of whatever gets changed in that time period.

The long and short of it is that your Time Machine drive- particularly if it's a Time Capsule- won't probably ever reach a point where you've filled it up and now it won't work or you've wasted all that space.

IMHO, I'd just keep things as they are and let the backups happen as Apple intended them. Get another drive (they're cheap) for other storage needs and leave the Time Machine drive alone. I know it's tempting to limit what it backs up in an effort to save space or multitask with it or whatever it is you want to do, but the peace of mind of "I plug it in and it just works" and replicating every aspect of your old computer is so worth it when your startup disk dies or you upgrade to a new machine.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I looked back a few pages but couldn't find an answer. I'm thinking about buying the 27" iMac. I would like to use bootcamp to install Windows but only for a very few select uses (mainly Excel work at home, and one video game.) I know I can use a 1TB fusion drive pretty easily (and I believe there are workarounds to get boot camp working with the 3TB) but that forces windows onto the HDD. I'd prefer that both be installed on a SSD.

If I were to get the fusion drive would I be able to install win7 on an external thunderbolt ssd and boot from that? Googling didn't provide a lot of info and some of the info only referred to regular hard drives and not the fusion drive. I realize the fusion drive is just 2 hard drives together in one volume, but I didn't know if that would cause problems somehow. (For instance, I believe you need to create a small partition to boot Windows in general from a Mac)

The other option is to get the 768gb SSD, but at $900 extra I don't think I'll need the Windows on an SSD THAT badly.

Also, if it is possible... can I see the Mac HD from windows booted externally?

Vomik fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 2, 2013

noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK

Vomik posted:

Also, if it is possible... can I see the Mac HD from windows booted externally?

As far as I know, that wasn't possible at all. While you can install and boot OSX from any external drive with no particular issues (especially since you're going to use stationary iMac), Bootcamp will not work like that.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

Seems like it. Or if you have a 2009/2010 MacBook Pro, it could be the cable.

Or both, which happened to me a few months ago.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

noskill posted:

As far as I know, that wasn't possible at all. While you can install and boot OSX from any external drive with no particular issues (especially since you're going to use stationary iMac), Bootcamp will not work like that.

What I've been reading is that if you bootcamp onto your current drive, then load up windows and install all necessary drivers (including thunderbolt) you can winclone to a TB drive (because Windows allows thunderbolt but not USB/firewire) and then delete the bootcamp partition. I'm thinking I'll just go with the 1TB fusion drive just in case and live with Windows on HDD if I have to.

I'd prefer the 3TB fusion drive, but considering it is a system limitation with how bootcamp works now it may be awhile before there is a real 3TB fix that doesn't involve messing around with partition ordering and breaking up the OSX drive into multiple drives.

Turd Eater
May 11, 2003
How can I disable temporal dithering on ATI video cards at boot time? (32- or 64-bit kernels).
This is a crosspost question from here.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
My friend is offering me her MacBook Pro 5,5 for about $200. I'm currently on a MacBook from 2006 and I kind of want to buy it, but I need a laptop that's pretty good for audio/video stuff. For $200 I really wanna buy it, but I don't know if its that much of a step up from my current laptop. Any advice?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Looks like a 9400M based model from 2009, it's a decent upgrade over a 2006 Mac. CPU is a Core 2 Duo vs Core Duo...or Core 2 Duo in yours (depending when you bought it), so it's not a huge upgrade there but at least a bit faster. The graphics are low end but still a few times faster than yours. Otherwise it can be upgraded to 8GB RAM vs uh, 2 or ~3 in yours I think.

Beyond the basic specs, it's a unibody machine and iirc supported under Mountain Lion...and looking at Craigslist and eBay the going price is closer to $500+ than $200, so if nothing else it's at least a good deal assuming it works fine, and keeps you up to date software wise.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I kind of want to buy it and sell it for its current going price, which gives me more money for a refurbished current model. Seems like a bit of a hassle though.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

keevo posted:

My friend is offering me her MacBook Pro 5,5 for about $200.

keevo posted:

I kind of want to buy it and sell it for its current going price, which gives me more money for a refurbished current model. Seems like a bit of a hassle though.
What are friends good for? Profiting a couple hundred bucks from, apparently.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

keevo posted:

My friend is offering me her MacBook Pro 5,5 for about $200.
Does she have a crystal meth problem?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Does she have a crystal meth problem?

Nah, just a lot of money and too many laptops.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

keevo posted:

Nah, just a lot of money and too many laptops.

Does she have so much money that she doesn't care that you're flipping it for profit? Not that I'm the morality police or anything but that's a lovely thing to do. I gave a co-worker a smokin' deal on a 50" plasma a few years back and he flipped it on me. It's not nice.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Legdiian posted:

Does she have so much money that she doesn't care that you're flipping it for profit? Not that I'm the morality police or anything but that's a lovely thing to do. I gave a co-worker a smokin' deal on a 50" plasma a few years back and he flipped it on me. It's not nice.

Yeah, you're right about the morality thing. I'll probably just keep it. I can't pass up on a deal like that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Legdiian posted:

This wouldn't bother me. If I wanted more for it I'd ask or put in the effort to find a buyer. Selling cheap to someone you know is low risk/low effort.