Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Twerk from Home posted:

If I want the cheapest Mac usable for iOS development, a Mini is the way to go, right? I don't need portability, don't need a monitor / mouse / keyboard, and just want to be able to test and deploy Xamarin applications to the Appstore.

I do not understand the Mac resale market, it looks like even older computers carry a huge premium. I was offered a Late 2007 Macbook for free, but it can't run Mavericks so its useless for development. Looking at Craigslist for Minis, all of the Sandy Bridge or newer ones have asking prices above $500 around me, but I could get a new one through Apple friends & family discount for $510. Should I just buy a new Mini and cry a single tear that it's using a CPU from early 2012?

I'd recommend Mini or MBA 11" (I own both, and they are fantastic little machines, though I have 16GB and 8GB of RAM respectively, and my mini is the high-end quad core version).

The economics around the mini are fascinating to behold. Their depreciation curve is absolutely unheard of for electronics in general, and computers in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lexicon posted:

The economics around the mini are fascinating to behold. Their depreciation curve is absolutely unheard of for electronics in general, and computers in particular.
What do you mean by that?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cingulate posted:

What do you mean by that?

As I understood it, he is saying "There has never been a computer in the history of computers that depreciated less than $100/yr", and that's exactly the depreciation I'm seeing trying to buy a Mini used. $500 for a 3 year old low-end dual core mini my rear end.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Twerk from Home posted:

As I understood it, he is saying "There has never been a computer in the history of computers that depreciated less than $100/yr", and that's exactly the depreciation I'm seeing trying to buy a Mini used. $500 for a 3 year old low-end dual core mini my rear end.

Yeah, this basically. They hold their value shockingly well, and in a manner entirely at odds with other computers/electronics.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Cool! That's what I was thinking. My current plan is to wait for a refresh while trying to sell my old iMac and grab a fairly high spec 13". Sounds like it should be a perfect match. I would go for a Pro but after playing with my girlfriend's 13" Air I just can't go back to a "bulky" laptop. They're too drat comfy and easy to maneuver around a makeshift studio.
The MBAs were refreshed not too long ago actually, minor spec changes iirc.

Twerk from Home posted:

If I want the cheapest Mac usable for iOS development, a Mini is the way to go, right? I don't need portability, don't need a monitor / mouse / keyboard, and just want to be able to test and deploy Xamarin applications to the Appstore.

I do not understand the Mac resale market, it looks like even older computers carry a huge premium. I was offered a Late 2007 Macbook for free, but it can't run Mavericks so its useless for development. Looking at Craigslist for Minis, all of the Sandy Bridge or newer ones have asking prices above $500 around me, but I could get a new one through Apple friends & family discount for $510. Should I just buy a new Mini and cry a single tear that it's using a CPU from early 2012?
Yeah at that price you might as well buy new if you don't want to be looking constantly, particularly since you get USB 3 with the 2012 models (May not be a big deal, but nice if you have to deal with external drives). I saw one listing for like $350 for a 2011 around here a while ago but stuff like that is rare for post C2D minis I think.

...now if you're willing to go with a C2Ds, there's the 2009 models. They can take 8GB RAM, a SSD (or two), and run Mavericks and Yosemite.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

japtor posted:

The MBAs were refreshed not too long ago actually, minor spec changes iirc.

Yeah, just a small CPU speed bump in April.

I'm not sure how different the next refresh will be as well and I don't really think the retina display will make it to the MBA until 2015, so it's probably a good time as any to go ahead and pick one up if you're in the market for one.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SourKraut posted:

The 1GB/sec has more to do with the PCIe connection the SSDs are using and not so much the increased NAND density. Typically now you see the Read/Write performance usually maxing out around 500 GB for most SSDs, with the increase in performance going up between 120/128 to 240/256 and then again from 240/256 to 480/500, etc. The new Samsung 850 Pro though actually shares equal read/write performance across the top three capacities though interestingly enough, but that was for the standard SATA3 implementation so it'll be interesting to see what the PCIe performance is.

It's definitely a point towards going with at least a 240/256 GB SSD size, if not the 512.
Anand tested it when the first models with PCI-e SSDs came out and found the 1TB is faster than the 512GB (1GB/s vs 750MB/s), which he attributed to larger NAND size :shrug:. That matches my own observations of ~730MB/s on the 512GB SSD in my haswell rMBP vs ~975MB/s on the 1TB in one of the new Mac Pros the media guys at work use.

Not that you'll really notice it unless you're doing super IO intensive work over thunderbolt fibre-channel, anyway.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SourKraut posted:

The 1GB/sec has more to do with the PCIe connection the SSDs are using and not so much the increased NAND density. Typically now you see the Read/Write performance usually maxing out around 500 GB for most SSDs, with the increase in performance going up between 120/128 to 240/256 and then again from 240/256 to 480/500, etc.

With PCIe, performance scaling with capacity is back -- the underlying reasons for it didn't go away while SATA drives were stuck at SATA's best possible throughput of ~500 MB/s. Apple's 1TB PCIe SSD is known to be significantly faster than their 512GB PCIe.

Also, it's not about NAND density. The larger models in a family of drives generally use more chips of the same density. Performance scales with chip count because each chip can work in parallel with the rest.

(Larger=faster is not an ironclad rule even when the interface isn't the limit. Some SSD controllers can't take full advantage of their largest possible flash memory configurations.)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Just bought a used 5,1 Mac Pro and, as a coincidence, been given a new Sandisk 480GB Extreme PRO SSD and want the best way to add the SSD as a boot drive. Is the Apricorn Velocity Solo X2, a cheaper PCIe SATA card or just install the SSD in the lower optical bay? My other SSD is a Crucial 480GB M500 (Only found out about this thread after I bought and installed that SSD, otherwise would have gone with the Samsung EVO), would that be a better option for the Mac Pro?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Erwin posted:

Here's some pictures of the problem. Dark when you look at it straight on, light when you look at it from the side. Not that bad from either direction, but I should probably have it dealt with while covered under AppleCare+.

Might be hard to see if you're not looking for it.

So I had this screen swapped at the Apple store. They told me 3-5 days but actually had it ready the next day, which was nice. They said it appeared to be a small crack due to pressure on the screen, which is concerning because I'm pretty careful with it. I don't know how to protect it any more than what I do now.

There are two major concerns I have now, though. One is that the new screen has a dirty yellow cast to it. Googling seems to indicate that I'm not the only one with this problem, and that it's caused by the replacement screens being Samsung panels instead of LG. It really sucks that they're replacing screens with shittier parts. I think I like it less than my old one with the crack. I tried calibrating it, but didn't really know what I was doing. Is this yellow tint something I'll be able to calibrate out?

The other issue is that the machine was wiped when I got it back. Not a problem since I had a backup, but I asked the dude wtf, and he looked in the notes and showed me that it said when they were done with the screen swap, it was booting to fsck and they couldn't repair the disk, so they wiped it and installed OS X clean. So....you're going to give it back to me after it had some weird disk problem? Great, I'll probably see you next week to get the system board swapped then :ughh:

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
[quote="Erwin" post="432534825"]
The fact that they needed to erase it doesn't mean that there's a hardware issue at all. It's possible, but not likely.

It's more likely that the machine was powered on before starting the repair and when the battery was unplugged it shutdown unexpectedly and damaged the file system.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Erwin posted:

So I had this screen swapped at the Apple store. They told me 3-5 days but actually had it ready the next day, which was nice. They said it appeared to be a small crack due to pressure on the screen, which is concerning because I'm pretty careful with it. I don't know how to protect it any more than what I do now.

There are two major concerns I have now, though. One is that the new screen has a dirty yellow cast to it. Googling seems to indicate that I'm not the only one with this problem, and that it's caused by the replacement screens being Samsung panels instead of LG. It really sucks that they're replacing screens with shittier parts. I think I like it less than my old one with the crack. I tried calibrating it, but didn't really know what I was doing. Is this yellow tint something I'll be able to calibrate out?

The other issue is that the machine was wiped when I got it back. Not a problem since I had a backup, but I asked the dude wtf, and he looked in the notes and showed me that it said when they were done with the screen swap, it was booting to fsck and they couldn't repair the disk, so they wiped it and installed OS X clean. So....you're going to give it back to me after it had some weird disk problem? Great, I'll probably see you next week to get the system board swapped then :ughh:

I would take it back and tell them to swap the screen again. If that one guy here can get 9 iPhones replaced for dead pixels, you can get a yellow screen replaced.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has the base model 13" Macbook Air (i5/4gb/128gb) on sale again for $750 w/ student discount.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-m...cat247400050001

Normally $999, Best Buy is putting it on sale for $849, $100 off. If you're a student, you can get an additional $100 with a valid .edu address.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/global/...cat276200050000

The base 11" is also on sale for $799 + $100 .edu discount making it $699 after discounts.

Mid tier 21" iMac (i5/8gb/1tb) is about $230 off with discounts as well.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy has the base model 13" Macbook Air (i5/4gb/128gb) on sale again for $750 w/ student discount.

Normally $999, Best Buy is putting it on sale for $849, $100 off. If you're a student, you can get an additional $100 with a valid .edu address.

Thanks for this. After seeing that Broadwell is pushed back until Q2 2015, this is enough of a discount to get me to move on old hardware. $750 for a 13" Air is great.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

FCKGW posted:

The base 11" is also on sale for $799 + $100 .edu discount making it $699 after discounts.

If only they had airs with 8gb of ram in them. I still think with my edu discount and the $100 apple store card, buying it direct from Apple is going to be the way to go. Especially if I can use that store credit to buy the applecare.

Is there a noticeable difference between the i7 and the i5 worth spending the extra money on?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

BobHoward posted:

To run it, plug in an 8GB USB key which you're okay with wiping completely, have the Mavericks installer app somewhere that Spotlight can see it, open Terminal, "cd" (change directory) to navigate wherever you put the script, then "sudo perl unsupported_mavs.pl". It will prompt you through the rest.

If you try it, let me know how it works out (this is the first I've published it, so fair warning there -- it has only ever been tested by me). Also, I recommend doing this on a spare drive first if you can. Mavericks does work nigh flawlessly on the MP1,1 (with 5770), but even with SFOTT or my script the install isn't quite as smooth. I think I remember having problems getting the firmware to even boot the USB key while a disk with a 10.6 install was attached; I may have had to pull out all the disk trays but the one I was going to do my install on.

Oh, and about your RAM troubles -- I had some disappearing RAM too, and it turned out that all my RAM was actually good, but some slots on my RAM riser cards have begun to not recognize specific modules. I was able to get them all recognized again by rearranging my DIMMs, and haven't seen any ECC errors logged, so the RAM seems to be fine. I found references on the net to other people having similar issues and apparently replacing the riser cards is the real fix.

FAKE EDIT: my script and SFOTT both automate the poo poo described in Bob Morales' link, including downloading the EFI32 bootloader from that very MacRumors forum thread.

Thanks for these links, unfortunately the perl script didn't work - it automated everything, but when I tried to boot using the drive, it failed and dumped me back to the OS. My only guess would be that the boot.efi didn't get changed somewhere, as the bob morales link did work. I got Mavericks up and running last night, now going to try to get it upgraded 10.9.4.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

I Might Be Adam posted:

If only they had airs with 8gb of ram in them. I still think with my edu discount and the $100 apple store card, buying it direct from Apple is going to be the way to go. Especially if I can use that store credit to buy the applecare.

Is there a noticeable difference between the i7 and the i5 worth spending the extra money on?

4/8gb

Why do you think you need the 8gb of ram? Only time I've really been squeezed by 4gb of Ram was a weird edge case of developing for Windows Phone 7/8 where they visualize another OS. The extra ram makes a world of difference if running parallels (or other VMs) but besides that as long as you can keep you number of open chrome tabs under 30 most people will never use the extra 4gb. Ram used to be important (on Windows at least) when we had spinning disks and used virtual but now 8gb is more most users will ever use.

i5/i7

Last I read you might get up to 20% more on some tasks rarely with the i7 but you also will lost a bit of battery life. They are both dual cores and the air isn't a powerhouse so most people would probably never know the difference.

What do you intend to do with this, if it's office/web/light gaming get the 13 for $750 it's a hell of a machine at that price.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
For the next macbooks they should make the apple logo be the rainbow edition instead of boring white.

I googled rainbow apple sticker, it looks like you can buy one, yay!

e: I also found a woman who opened the screen to put a rainbow sticker underneath the back :gonk: (It was on the old plastic one so I don't know how horrified I should be)

e2: And this ad that shows why you use leaves instead of computers to hide your penis:

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Stick100 posted:

4/8gb

Why do you think you need the 8gb of ram? Only time I've really been squeezed by 4gb of Ram was a weird edge case of developing for Windows Phone 7/8 where they visualize another OS. The extra ram makes a world of difference if running parallels (or other VMs) but besides that as long as you can keep you number of open chrome tabs under 30 most people will never use the extra 4gb. Ram used to be important (on Windows at least) when we had spinning disks and used virtual but now 8gb is more most users will ever use.

i5/i7

Last I read you might get up to 20% more on some tasks rarely with the i7 but you also will lost a bit of battery life. They are both dual cores and the air isn't a powerhouse so most people would probably never know the difference.

What do you intend to do with this, if it's office/web/light gaming get the 13 for $750 it's a hell of a machine at that price.

I need a new machine for school/work. I'll have to do some school stuff, and work remotely in graphic/web design and a freelance a massive print catalog that makes my 2009 unibody start making GBS threads itself and it has 4gb of ram but it also doesn't have SSD. When it comes to upgrading the ram, I can't do it later so I may as well do it now to extend the life.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

bassguitarhero posted:

Thanks for these links, unfortunately the perl script didn't work - it automated everything, but when I tried to boot using the drive, it failed and dumped me back to the OS. My only guess would be that the boot.efi didn't get changed somewhere, as the bob morales link did work. I got Mavericks up and running last night, now going to try to get it upgraded 10.9.4.

You might want to install this script before you do that, as it will check at each boot and automatically copy back Tiamo's boot.efi if it gets replaced. With this installed I've taken a 2006 MP from 10.9.3 to 10.9.4 with no problems.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I bought one of the discounted Best Buy 4GB MBAs after antagonizing over the memory limit a while, it was either that or a new iPad and the MacBook just worked better for me. I can run Windows 7 with 1GB of RAM allocated with VS2012 and it's sluggish but usable. I'm only making sure all that stuff works to make sure this can stand in as a backup if my MBPr goes down or if I need to work remotely in an emergency, ninety-nine percent of my time on it will be spent browsing the internet or doing other mundane crap so it's not a big deal.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Thanks for posting this. I was able to get my wife a birthday/going to grad school gift. She's been using a 2008 MacBook Pro thats been slowly killing itself.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Two out of three MacBook Pros released in 2008 have the infamous nVidia 8600M GPUs which were known for overheating if you looked at them funny. Replaced a lot of motherboards of that model.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My wife had the last actual Macbook before they killed the line. However, with the latest OSX, it was so painfully slow. I sold it and I picked up a $100 Chromebook as a stopgap. She's fine with the Chromebook, but I'd like to get her an upgrade. I'd like get my wife an older macbook and upgrade the RAM to 8GB and the HD to an SSD. What's the last Macbook that used DDR3 PC3-8500 RAM? I have a couple of 4GB sticks I could put it. Figure I could sell my Mac Mini for a couple hundred, and then sell her Chromebook, and have enough to buy an older Macbook that I could then put the RAM and an SSD into. I could replace the battery later if it was really weak.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Two out of three MacBook Pros released in 2008 have the infamous nVidia 8600M GPUs which were known for overheating if you looked at them funny. Replaced a lot of motherboards of that model.

I think thats the one she has, 2.5GHz C2D with dedicated GPU. The thing got as hot as the sun when you ran it for more then 20 mins. I had to replace the logic board about a year ago. I'm sure replacing the HDD would be enough to give it some more life but that sale was too good to pass up. I'm thinking of grabbing a Mac Mini for myself after the next refresh (whenever the hell that will be).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My wife had the last actual Macbook before they killed the line. However, with the latest OSX, it was so painfully slow. I sold it and I picked up a $100 Chromebook as a stopgap. She's fine with the Chromebook, but I'd like to get her an upgrade. I'd like get my wife an older macbook and upgrade the RAM to 8GB and the HD to an SSD. What's the last Macbook that used DDR3 PC3-8500 RAM? I have a couple of 4GB sticks I could put it. Figure I could sell my Mac Mini for a couple hundred, and then sell her Chromebook, and have enough to buy an older Macbook that I could then put the RAM and an SSD into. I could replace the battery later if it was really weak.

Sure you can't swing a new 13 inch for 750 at best buy? Or 11 for 699?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

What's your budget here? The $750 13" Macbook Air linked a couple posts ago is probably worth the money over putting more RAM and an SSD into an older Mac. I guess you'd be looking for an Early 2011 or later non-retina Macbook Pro if you want a used machine, but it's going to be a worse experience overall than a Macbook Air, and good luck finding one for under $500, and neither of these will really be much faster than the Mid 2010 Macbook your wife had before.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Sure you can't swing a new 13 inch for 750 at best buy? Or 11 for 699?

Yeah, that's what I figure I'll end up doing, but at 4/128 it's really tight on space. Her iTunes and iPhoto library are about that size on their own. I suppose I could go through and clean up iPhoto and archive the older stuff, but I don't want to spend the time. Also, 4GB is a bit anemic for a modern OS.

I'd like to spend a couple hundred bucks on the laptop, I already have the RAM, the SSD shouldn't be more than $100 and I'd end up with more RAM and more HD space. I really just wish I had kept her Macbook and upgraded it, but at the time, I just wanted the money. I'd like to just rebuy that laptop and upgrade it, but it's been about a year and I figure I can upgrade to a comparable basemodel Macbook Pro and upgrade that.

300 laptop
100 ssd
100 battery (if necessary) 99% of the time it's used at home, so battery hardly matters.

I'm pushing 500, so the Air at 700 is viable, but it's really just not enough space. I'd have to get the 256 air, which is a bit more.

Twerk from Home posted:

What's your budget here? The $750 13" Macbook Air linked a couple posts ago is probably worth the money over putting more RAM and an SSD into an older Mac. I guess you'd be looking for an Early 2011 or later non-retina Macbook Pro if you want a used machine, but it's going to be a worse experience overall than a Macbook Air, and good luck finding one for under $500, and neither of these will really be much faster than the Mid 2010 Macbook your wife had before.

I'd have to get the 256, which is 949-100=$848 from BestBuy with a student discount. That's the ideal one to buy, but I just can't Swing $900 right now. i have a 2009 MacMini that I loaded her profile on, and I use it as an iPhoto/iTunes warehouse right now. It's got 8GB in it. I'd like to put it's original 2GB on it, and dump it on ebay/cl for about $250, and her Chromebook for $100, and then use the $350 to buy another older Macbook and upgrade it with the RAM I already have and an 256GB SSD (going for maybe $150). But maybe that's a terrible idea, and I'm best to just try to pick up a couple models old 8/256 Air.

The other option is to just leave everything how it is, and get an SSD for the Mini and let you remote into it with the Chromebook if she needs to do anything. It's what she does now, and it's pretty serviceable, just the iPhoto library is so big the machine chugs on it.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 23, 2014

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yeah, that's what I figure I'll end up doing, but at 4/128 it's really tight on space. Her iTunes and iPhoto library are about that size on their own. I suppose I could go through and clean up iPhoto and archive the older stuff, but I don't want to spend the time. Also, 4GB is a bit anemic for a modern OS.

I'd like to spend a couple hundred bucks on the laptop, I already have the RAM, the SSD shouldn't be more than $100 and I'd end up with more RAM and more HD space. I really just wish I had kept her Macbook and upgraded it, but at the time, I just wanted the money. I'd like to just rebuy that laptop and upgrade it, but it's been about a year and I figure I can upgrade to a comparable basemodel Macbook Pro and upgrade that.

300 laptop
100 ssd
100 battery (if necessary) 99% of the time it's used at home, so battery hardly matters.

I'm pushing 500, so the Air at 700 is viable, but it's really just not enough space. I'd have to get the 256 air, which is a bit more.

Check your PMs, my wife just replaced a 2009 Macbook with that $750 MBA, I was going to use it as a dev machine but might appreciate a couple hundred towards a Mac Mini instead.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

People want stupid prices for used MacBooks. In theory you could get a 2011 13" Pro for $550 or $600 and load it up with RAM and HD/SSD. But you'd be at almost another $200 already....

The 2010 MacBook Pro (Core2Duo) was the last model that took 8500 RAM, the newer ones are 10600. I wouldn't pay much over $450 for a mint one. But they always seem to have dings or a worn-out battery, missing keys, or are scuffed to poo poo and people still want $500+

I've seen white unibody Macbooks for $250 in, you can throw 8500 RAM in them but they have the goofy NVIDIA chipset that isn't always known to play well with SSD.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 23, 2014

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Twerk from Home posted:

Check your PMs, my wife just replaced a 2009 Macbook with that $750 MBA, I was going to use it as a dev machine but might appreciate a couple hundred towards a Mac Mini instead.

Thanks and responded!

Bob Morales posted:

People want stupid prices for used MacBooks. In theory you could get a 2011 13" Pro for $550 or $600 and load it up with RAM and HD/SSD. But you'd be at almost another $200 already....

The 2010 MacBook Pro (Core2Duo) was the last model that took 8500 RAM, the newer ones are 10600. I wouldn't pay much over $450 for a mint one. But they always seem to have dings or a worn-out battery, missing keys, or are scuffed to poo poo and people still want $500+

I've seen white unibody Macbooks for $250 in, you can throw 8500 RAM in them but they have the goofy NVIDIA chipset that isn't always known to play well with SSD.

Yeah, I think I may just not have a workable option. It's worth asking, though. I may just ride out this year with her on the Chromebook and then next year get her something nicer. The biggest problem is that we have a four year old son and a new baby on the way, so her using a $150 laptop around a being of pure destruction is a lot more palatable than her using a brand new $800 one.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Yeah browsing craigslist for macbooks around here is a good way to get a few laughs. Oh, $500+ for a 2008 macbook with worn keyboard and multiple dings? 1gb RAM? This is what happens when the average apple user tries to valuate their equipment.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Or you could just hold onto your old machines like I do. Oh circa 2001 Powerbook sitting in a closet, what will I ever do with you?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I rebuilt my powermac g5's liquid cooling system two years ago.

It's been sitting behind my desk unused ever since - but it just looks so cool. And doubles my electric bill.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

...wife's computer...

Instead of selling off the mini that you're currently using as an iTunes/iPhoto repository and loading everything on a hypothetical laptop that you haven't purchased yet, have you considered keeping all of that stuff on that (or another future) desktop and having your wife access it from the cloud? iTunes Match and Spotify have been pretty fantastic for keeping music both in and not in my library accessible on all of my devices while taking up appreciable space on only one of them and iCloud continues to roll out similar functionality for photos (there are also tons of other cloud storage options for photos and media). Not only does it free you from the constraint of having to load everything on a laptop's startup disk, it's also a valuable backup resource.

Aside from that, your idea of loading a Core2Duo computer up with RAM for the sake of future-proofing and keeping up with modern OS releases ignores the fact that that pre-'i Series' chipset is going to be the biggest hurdle toward that end going forward. OSX Yosemite is less than 3 months away. Post-2010 macs are way ahead of their predecessors in terms of GPU performance which is necessary for a lot of highlight features introduced in recent updates- a trend that will likely continue- to say nothing of CPU-specific limitations. Even something like a 2011 Air (one of which I'll happen to be listing on SA-Mart this weekend for $450 with a brand new battery :) ) is going to be a better proposition than a 2010 MBP.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Instead of selling off the mini that you're currently using as an iTunes/iPhoto repository and loading everything on a hypothetical laptop that you haven't purchased yet, have you considered keeping all of that stuff on that (or another future) desktop and having your wife access it from the cloud? iTunes Match and Spotify have been pretty fantastic for keeping music both in and not in my library accessible on all of my devices while taking up appreciable space on only one of them and iCloud continues to roll out similar functionality for photos (there are also tons of other cloud storage options for photos and media). Not only does it free you from the constraint of having to load everything on a laptop's startup disk, it's also a valuable backup resource.

Aside from that, your idea of loading a Core2Duo computer up with RAM for the sake of future-proofing and keeping up with modern OS releases ignores the fact that that pre-'i Series' chipset is going to be the biggest hurdle toward that end going forward. OSX Yosemite is less than 3 months away. Post-2010 macs are way ahead of their predecessors in terms of GPU performance which is necessary for a lot of highlight features introduced in recent updates- a trend that will likely continue- to say nothing of CPU-specific limitations. Even something like a 2011 Air (one of which I'll happen to be listing on SA-Mart this weekend for $450 with a brand new battery :) ) is going to be a better proposition than a 2010 MBP.

That's basically what I do now. I was checking on the economic viability of swapping the MacMini and Chromebook for a decent Macbook, but I don't really think that's going to be a viable option.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I use a 2010 MacBook. It works pretty well. I put an SSD and 4GB RAM in it though. I guess you already sold it, but if it were me, I would've just put an SSD in the thing and called it a day.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

bassguitarhero posted:

Thanks for giving it a try, and this sounds like the same problem I remember encountering while writing it -- when I had my old 10.6 HDD installed in the Mac Pro, it would look like it was trying to boot from the USB stick but then would fail and revert to booting the 10.6 install.

I think I remember SFOTT-made USB sticks behaving the same way. They really ought to since I'm not doing anything fundamentally different from SFOTT, it's just a... saner script. If I remember right (it's been a few months) the main thing I do different from SFOTT is that SFOTT adds only one machine ID to the supported list, either read from the computer you're running SFOTT on or from user input. I just made a table of all unsupported-Mac machine IDs, and slam them all in unconditionally, so you don't have to run my script on the target computer or even bother with entering IDs manually.

I'd like to know if the USB stick boots when you've disconnected all HDDs (or at least all of them that have bootable operating systems). However, if that's too much of a pain in the rear end, don't bother.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 24, 2014

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

fleshweasel posted:

I use a 2010 MacBook. It works pretty well. I put an SSD and 4GB RAM in it though. I guess you already sold it, but if it were me, I would've just put an SSD in the thing and called it a day.

The problem was that the battery also was really weak. I'd have had to replace that and upgrade the SSD and RAM. That would have easily been 350 worth of upgrades. I just copied her profile to my rMBP but my work changed and I needed to spin up some VMs and I didn't have the harddisk space so I got a cheap MacMini as a stopgap to just offload her stuff and I set her up to remote into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Pivo posted:

then the mini sounds like the best bet, [...]

Just don't try to render some 200 gig 4K video with it

This discussion along with the guy talking about the MBP's with Nvidia cards that burned up their logic boards put a bit of a paranoid seed in my head, so I'm going to ask even though it's probably a silly question.

I've got the base model 13" 2014 Air. I've started a little project that does require editing/rendering short 4K videos from time to time. I was planning on using my old windows desktop as a workstation/render farm to do the jobs, but when I tested the same workflow of both the desktop and my Air, the Air was ~20% faster. Which says more about my desktop than the macbook, really. Naturally, rendering 4k really throttles the CPU and creates a lot of heat. So my question is, if I'm doing this frequently on my Air, and am leaving it to render for an hour or more each time, or even browsing the web while the render executes (which is actually not impossibly slow, somehow) and producing a bunch of heat in the process, am I significantly shortening the life of the hardware? Could I expect overall performance to degrade over time more due to this use pattern? The exterior of the device isn't getting untouchably hot, but pretty warm and the fan stays on. It just feels like such a delicate machine. I don't want to hurt it.