Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Biodome posted:

Speaking of formats and external hard drives, I have an external hard drive I have hooked up to a windows computer but share on the network so I can play movies from it on my Mac.

I connected it directly to my Mac once and was able to play all the videos but I couldn't delete anything or add anything to it. I'm assuming it's cause when I first got it I used it with windows and it formatted it to NTFS?

Is there a way to format the hard drive so I can read and write to it on both windows and OSX? I'm gonna have files larger than 4 GB.

Thanks.

The program Tuxera will let you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^^ Tuxera NTFS costs $31.

Biodome posted:

Speaking of formats and external hard drives, I have an external hard drive I have hooked up to a windows computer but share on the network so I can play movies from it on my Mac.

I connected it directly to my Mac once and was able to play all the videos but I couldn't delete anything or add anything to it. I'm assuming it's cause when I first got it I used it with windows and it formatted it to NTFS?

Is there a way to format the hard drive so I can read and write to it on both windows and OSX? I'm gonna have files larger than 4 GB.

Thanks.

OS X has an NTFS file system interpreter but it's read-only. It might be easier to just get something public domain like NTFS Free or if you have a Seagate drive, this. Both of these add NTFS read/write capability to OSX. Watch out though as I don't think either is YOSemite compatible.

exFAT is what goons usually recommend as a good cross-platform format.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 22, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you have it hooked up to the Windows computer you can read/write it from the Mac even if it's NTFS

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

a Loving Dog posted:

The program Tuxera will let you do that.

Binary Badger posted:

^^^ Tuxera NTFS costs $31.

OS X has an NTFS file system interpreter but it's read-only. It might be easier to just get something public domain like NTFS Free or if you have a Seagate drive, this. Both of these add NTFS read/write capability to OSX. Watch out though as I don't think either is YOSemite compatible.

exFAT is what goons usually recommend as a good cross-platform format.

Thanks, y'all. I think I'm going to use exFAT. Just have to back all my poo poo up.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
So does anyone know whats up with my exfat Seagate drive? Like I said files transfers just completely freeze. All the files on the drive already work fine.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Seagate's SeaTools utility can tell you if the drive thinks there's something wrong with itself. They're DOS/Windows only, though.

Have you tried a different USB cable and/or blown dust out of the ports? You never know.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

beergod posted:

X-posting from the software thread (which was the wrong place to put it):

Hey all,

I'm loving my 2014 iMac but really regret not getting it with an SSD. I think I'm going to run the OS and all of my applications from an external Thunderbolt drive. I think I can figure out the partitioning/software part of it, but can you guys recommend a solid drive for that sort of setup? Amazon Prime preferable; I can't imagine it needs to be bigger than 1 TB because I can still access the internal HDD on my Mac.

Thanks!

You're looking for an SSD right? 1tb Thunderbolt ain't cheap, your best bet I think is to get a 1TB Samsung Evo and pair it with a Thunderbolt interface like the Seagate Thunderbolt adapter.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Ok, so I've been watching the Canadian refurb store for the past couple weeks and haven't seen anything come up that matches what I want, so it looks like I'm going full blownsies and buying retail. I should not expect a retina MacBook Air to come out next week or anything, right? Right now I'm looking at the 13" rMBP but the Air would be perfect if the screen was that extra bit crisper. I should do this, right guys?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

nexxai posted:

Ok, so I've been watching the Canadian refurb store for the past couple weeks and haven't seen anything come up that matches what I want, so it looks like I'm going full blownsies and buying retail. I should not expect a retina MacBook Air to come out next week or anything, right? Right now I'm looking at the 13" rMBP but the Air would be perfect if the screen was that extra bit crisper. I should do this, right guys?

Not next week. The rumours have been rumbling on for ages, but it's looking like the middle of next year for the retina Air at this point. Obviously no-one knows for sure outside Apple's supply chain.

Personally I'm sticking with my 2010 Air until it's announced and we know the score. I'm secretly hoping it turns out to be a SurfacePro-type hybrid device, but I know that's a complete long shot. Even then I've been burned by first gen hardware often enough that I'd be on the fence.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is there a recommended 802.11ac adapter for a Mac mini? I am getting 200mbit Internet at home and of course the cable modem isn't near the Mac mini that runs my entertainment center.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Biodome posted:

Thanks, y'all. I think I'm going to use exFAT. Just have to back all my poo poo up.
Simple thing but just make sure both OSes can read it before loading everything on there. No clue why but I've never had luck with formatting in OS X, maybe Windows is choking on the partition format I've been using? I'd guess I've been using GPT instead of MBR but I haven't done it enough to test that theory out.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

sellouts posted:

Is there a recommended 802.11ac adapter for a Mac mini? I am getting 200mbit Internet at home and of course the cable modem isn't near the Mac mini that runs my entertainment center.

You could try this for about $29. Some of its variants on the same page might be overkill.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Is it worth getting a new macbook retina now or waiting? Whats the Next Big Thing coming from Intel supposed to be?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Broadwell and it has been repeatedly delayed since this summer. Mobile stuff is rolling out end of this month. So maybe a spring refresh?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Is it worth getting a new macbook retina now or waiting? Whats the Next Big Thing coming from Intel supposed to be?

They were refreshed in .. July? so you'll likely be waiting almost a year for broadwell (a guess on my part).

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The late 2013 refurb retina MBPs are an awesome deal in my opinion.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Martytoof posted:

They were refreshed in .. July? so you'll likely be waiting almost a year for broadwell (a guess on my part).

Rumor mill's been consistently pegging a "mid-2015" release for the new poo poo. That would fit with the general "summer updates" notebook schedule, but it's not like Apple doesn't regularly deviate from it when it suits their aims.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Noticing a lot of frame drops on the retina iMac whenever I maximize a window or go to mission control. Hope they make that better with an update. Anyone else seeing it?I did migrate all my poo poo from my old iMac.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Biodome posted:

Noticing a lot of frame drops on the retina iMac whenever I maximize a window or go to mission control. Hope they make that better with an update. Anyone else seeing it?I did migrate all my poo poo from my old iMac.

It's a mobile GPU trying to render 15 million pixels. I'm not sure what all can be done.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

wdarkk posted:

It's a mobile GPU trying to render 15 million pixels. I'm not sure what all can be done.

It's alright with me, I think i found a stuck or dead pixel, though. Argh. This sucks.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Biodome posted:

Which GPU is this?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

theadder posted:

Which GPU is this?

I bought the baseline one so I guess it's the R9 M290X.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Biodome posted:

I bought the baseline one so I guess it's the R9 M290X.

All the stuff I've read suggests the iMac is fine and I suspect they were all given the M295X. This is also what I have ordered.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

theadder posted:

All the stuff I've read suggests the iMac is fine and I suspect they were all given the M295X. This is also what I have ordered.

I could see the extra 2GB of VRAM making a huge difference.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

theadder posted:

I also received my iMac and it has the upgraded video card, same as what you've ordered. Not really noticing any choppiness of the UI and it seemed to play the 4K video I ran through it with no problems. I know that 2GB graphics cards often have trouble rendering fullscreen 3D stuff at 1440p with large textured so I figured 4GB was probably safer for general use at 5K. I'd imagine it's garbage for full screen 3D stuff but that's to be expected given how many expensive videocards are required to get 4K game playback to be smooth at 60FPS on gaming PCs :v:.

Edit: whoever commented that Yosemite was designed with retina screens in mind was spot on. The text and UI in general look waaaaaaaay better than they do on the 27" iMac I use at work and that's not accounting for the difference that HiDPI screens make in general.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 23, 2014

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Anyone with the new retina iMac runnning bootcamp? just wondering how the new retina screen is working with windows.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
After being held hostage in customs for a month I finally received my hengedock, getting all the cables to sit correctly was a royal pain in the rear end but it's working now (this thing has a rather dominating presence).

Does anyone know if the included thunderbolt passthrough cable can take a ethernet adapter?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

theadder posted:

All the ones I saw were the stock config and didn't have any complaints about performance v:shobon:v

(Not that I read too many reviews though)

Ashex posted:

After being held hostage in customs for a month I finally received my hengedock, getting all the cables to sit correctly was a royal pain in the rear end but it's working now (this thing has a rather dominating presence).

Does anyone know if the included thunderbolt passthrough cable can take a ethernet adapter?
Doesn't sound like it, from their support site (if this is the one you got):

quote:

Is the Vertical Docking Station for the MacBook Pro with Retina Display compatible with Thunderbolt?

Yes! This docking station ships with preinstalled Mini DisplayPort extension cables, which can easily be swapped out for Apple Thunderbolt cables allowing you to connect to a Thunderbolt display or Thunderbolt equipped peripherals and adapters.
So that's another 30-40 euro per cable (.5m, 2m) according to the Apple Store Germany site. Any particular reason you went with the Henge Dock over TB stuff?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

japtor posted:

So that's another 30-40 euro per cable (.5m, 2m) according to the Apple Store Germany site. Any particular reason you went with the Henge Dock over TB stuff?

I wanted a dock I could just slide my macbook into and couldn't find a TB dock with a similar setup. I've got a thunderbolt ethernet adapter but it looks like I'll need to get a usb adapter instead (already planned to get a hub since I've got other stuff to plug in).

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I was just about to buy a kit to replace my optical drive with the hard drive that came with the laptop (using an ssd as the main drive) and thought to get some ram too.

I was going to buy a 4gb stick when it occurred to me - what if they have 2x2gb sticks in there and not 1x4gb? I am too lazy to open up the case just to find out since I will need to open it to do the hdd swap anyway. Anyone know? This is for a 2012 MacBook Pro.

edit: nevermind - I didn't know that "about this mac" had this info in it. Still getting used to not using a pc.

rio fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 23, 2014

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Mercurius posted:

I also received my iMac and it has the upgraded video card, same as what you've ordered. Not really noticing any choppiness of the UI and it seemed to play the 4K video I ran through it with no problems. I know that 2GB graphics cards often have trouble rendering fullscreen 3D stuff at 1440p with large textured so I figured 4GB was probably safer for general use at 5K. I'd imagine it's garbage for full screen 3D stuff but that's to be expected given how many expensive videocards are required to get 4K game playback to be smooth at 60FPS on gaming PCs :v:.

Any chance you could post performance impressions for lighter games along the lines of Hearthstone at native resolution? I'm not expecting to be able to run anything intensive at that crazy resolution, but it would be nice to be able to play some less intensive or older games like at 5K.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

pyrotek posted:

Any chance you could post performance impressions for lighter games along the lines of Hearthstone at native resolution? I'm not expecting to be able to run anything intensive at that crazy resolution, but it would be nice to be able to play some less intensive or older games like at 5K.
I don't really play games on the Mac and I haven't got hearthstone to test with but one of my colleagues is looking at buying a retina iMac and he plays Diablo 3 a lot so we tested that today and it runs very poorly at 5K on medium settings (like, sub 20FPS with nothing happening on screen). That said, you should seriously consider running your games at 2560x1440 because it'll look identical to an existing 27" screen and the M295X is marginally faster than the previous GPUs the iMacs had so you'll see a mild performance improvement over previous models.

Essentially, high settings at 1080p or medium-high settings on 1440p should be perfectly fine on the new retina iMacs, just don't expect even light gaming at 5K. You already need top of the line desktop graphics cards to do 4K on the PC side of things so 5K with a mobile chipset was never really likely to work.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Mercurius posted:

You already need top of the line desktop graphics cards to do 4K on the PC side of things so 5K with a mobile chipset was never really likely to work.

I'm waiting for next years's Retina iMac as my next upgrade. I would love to see Apple make the machine thicker and put a desktop class video card in there. Holding my breath, I am not.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Anyone use a rMBP 13 as a main computer? Thinking this 15 is too big, but I might get used to it if the 13 just can't cut it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Anyone use a rMBP 13 as a main computer? Thinking this 15 is too big, but I might get used to it if the 13 just can't cut it.

I use it as my main work computer, though I have a Mac Mini at home with a 23" monitor. At work I use it as my main "desktop" as I'm on the go a lot and I find it entirely usable for 5-8 hours, lots of Safari windows, fullscreen Mail, fullscreen Teamviewer and RDP sessions. I have the screen set to "look like 1440x1050" (I think that's the one, I don't have it open in front of me) and it's pleasant to use.

The 15" may be more usable but quite frankly the size of the 13" is pretty much perfect so I'm really happy.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

binarysmurf posted:

I'm waiting for next years's Retina iMac as my next upgrade. I would love to see Apple make the machine thicker and put a desktop class video card in there. Holding my breath, I am not.
I don't see them doing this because I'm pretty sure the vast majority of iMac users don't play fullscreen video games and all the current video cards (even mobile chipsets) already have pretty good GPGPU performance for compute tasks. Desktop video cards means more power and more importantly heat which is really hard to dissipate even with the original unibody iMac chassis design. There's also the thing with Apple where if you want video performance you've already got the Mac Pro as an (albeit expensive) option.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 24, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm using one as my main. Like Martytoof, I've increased the resolution to give myself a bit more breathing room (though I switched to the "More Space" 1680 x 1050 resolution). I've done some very light Photoshop work, edited photos in Lightroom, and did some not-too-demanding gaming (Poker Night At The Inventory, Rocksmith 2014) and haven't had any complaints. It's a fantastic machine.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Martytoof posted:

I use it as my main work computer, though I have a Mac Mini at home with a 23" monitor. At work I use it as my main "desktop" as I'm on the go a lot and I find it entirely usable for 5-8 hours, lots of Safari windows, fullscreen Mail, fullscreen Teamviewer and RDP sessions. I have the screen set to "look like 1440x1050" (I think that's the one, I don't have it open in front of me) and it's pleasant to use.

The 15" may be more usable but quite frankly the size of the 13" is pretty much perfect so I'm really happy.

I'll throw in that I've got a old as poo poo 15" MBP running at 1440 as my main machine and am basically strapped to it for 10+ hours a day between work and entertaining myself. The size makes things a little more restrictive in what kinds of bags I can get for traveling, but on the other hand I really, really like the increased screen size. I do a lot of word processing and having the added size is a godsend around hour 5 of staring at text. My wife has a 13" and no way could I move back down to that size for any length of time. I've yet to be in a situation in 8 years of running 15" MPBs where the size as prevented me from taking one anywhere or doing anything with it.

If you do go the laptop-as-portable-desktop route consider also hauling around an iPad with you. There is some pretty decent software out there for turning even the humble original iPad into a secondary monitor. Of course you're going to get frame rate stuttering and it will look like a remote desktop session ca. 2002 if you do anything more intensive than arrange the windows, but for relatively static applications (say if you need more screen real estate to keep a couple extra documents open for quickly consulting but won't be actively entering poo poo into them) but it's pretty impressive for a multi-display solution you can pull out of your bag and set up at a coffee shop.

edit: VVVVVV yeah, I'll bet. I'm just saying, even with my old dinosaur it gets around well enough that I value the extra size enough to put up with the bulk. I'm getting a replacement at the next refresh cycle at the latest and really look forward to the lighter design.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 24, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The retina 15" is something else. it weighs just around 4.5 pounds. That's the weight of the pre-Retina 13". Its footprint might be about the same but the weight is a factor in portability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
My new rMBP 15" arrived yesterday. That display! My god. Going from an 11" Air to this is just unbelievable. And I was surprised how fast I adapted to Yosemite. Took me like 2 hours to set everything up, and now I don't miss Maverick at all.