Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

kode54 posted:

So if I order the 8GB base memory, does that mean I need to buy 16 or just another 8? I don't even know what form or speed to buy, but I could look that up pretty quick.

If you want to do it once you have your mac you just go to Apple icon>About this mac>memory. They even give you a link on how to install it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

kode54 posted:

So if I order the 8GB base memory, does that mean I need to buy 16 or just another 8? I don't even know what form or speed to buy, but I could look that up pretty quick.

I assume if you order it with 8GB, it comes with two 4GB sticks. If you want to max it out you want to order four 8GB sticks. If you upgrade to 16GB, I would personally get two 8GB sticks, so that you have the option to go to 32GB later with ease.

EDIT: You want 204 pin DDR3L-1600 Non-ECC

Viper_3000 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 29, 2014

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Cyrano4747 posted:

But for an extra couple hundred bucks five years ago I could have enjoyed 8MB of ram for the full life cycle of my machine

Apparently it made no difference to you whatsoever over that whole time. Also apparently you have no issue investing more money into that machine now, when it's really beyond its reasonable lifetime. I don't get the point of going to "8 MB" now instead of selling the whole thing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Housh posted:

He doesn't even know if it's gigabytes or megabytes of RAM he's ordering. :D

:downs:

flavor posted:

Apparently it made no difference to you whatsoever over that whole time. Also apparently you have no issue investing more money into that machine now, when it's really beyond its reasonable lifetime. I don't get the point of going to "8 MB" now instead of selling the whole thing.

Eh, I wouldn't say it's made no difference. Back when I had time I used to spend a lot of time playing games on a windows partition on it, and the extra ram would have been nice there. On the work end of things probably not so much, that's true.

As for upgrading now? Because I can't afford to be buying a new computer right now. I can afford $80 for a couple ram sticks though. Is it an ideal solution? No. But if $80 helps kick that particular can down the road a bit then it's a solution I can live with for now.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 29, 2014

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I also understand living somewhere that it's hard to resell your mac to the point that it's not worth it. I end up keeping my computers as long as I can so I always buy them maxed out and immediately get the after market RAM. I'm going to crack open this iMac soon and pop a SSD in since it's out of Apple Care.

That's awesome that the new 27" retina iMacs still have user expandable RAM.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you live in an area served by a post office, it's not that hard to sell a Mac.

If the mail comes by boat once a month, that's a different story.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Crossposting from SA Mart. If anyone is looking for a good deal on a base Mid-2013 Haswell 13" MacBook Air, see my thread here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676931

V

Yeah, it's a weird market. People who want a new Mac are looking at spending at least another $200 at that point for the same thing (refurbished), or an extra $5-600 for a base rMBP.

But then people looking for a deal on any type of laptop around $6-700, you can't beat a MacBook Air compared to the normal Windows laptops and stuff you'd see in that range that aren't nearly as nice. Hopefully someone will pick it up, I think it's a good deal.

comper fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 29, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

comper posted:

Crossposting from SA Mart. If anyone is looking for a good deal on a base Mid-2013 Haswell 13" MacBook Air, see my thread here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676931

Interested to see what it goes for - I'm going to be selling my 11" or 13" in a few week.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

My Mid-2011 is still chugging along, until I got to play with my friends brand new rMBP! I could probably get what, 3-400$ for mine? It's the i5 1.7 4GB ram and 128 SSD.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mattfl posted:

My Mid-2011 is still chugging along, until I got to play with my friends brand new rMBP! I could probably get what, 3-400$ for mine? It's the i5 1.7 4GB ram and 128 SSD.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

No poo poo? Jesus it might be time to sell and for another $500 upgrade to a rMBP with 8GB of ram. Hmmmm

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

fleshweasel posted:

If you live in an area served by a post office, it's not that hard to sell a Mac.

If the mail comes by boat once a month, that's a different story.
How do you sell stuff? Kijiji in my area sucks. What would my mid-2010 27" iMac i7, 16GB ram, and 1TB drive get me in USD?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress's a kijiji? Try SA-Mart or eBay.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I've had great luck on Amazon, maybe that's a fluke though? eBay seems to be heinous with fees these days

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

fleshweasel posted:

What the gently caress's a kijiji? Try SA-Mart or eBay.

I live in Canada. Kijiji is classifieds run by eBay.

The shipping, customs, and eBay/Paypal fees aren't worth it to sell to the states. There don't seem to be many buyers in Canada and shipping costs wouldn't make it worth buying used unless it's a local sale. It's a large country with a small spread out population and I don't live in a big city or close to university. That's why I have been buying my stuff new and maxed out and then using it until I have no choice but to upgrade.

My fault for choosing to be a hick. :tinfoil:

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I've had great luck on Amazon, maybe that's a fluke though? eBay seems to be heinous with fees these days

Thanks! I never thought to try Amazon Marketplace.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

mattfl posted:

$500 sounds about right. That's how much I got for my mid-2011 11" Air last week.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jack's Flow posted:

$500 sounds about right. That's how much I got for my mid-2011 11" Air last week.

Man, that makes me wonder how much my 2010 MBP has depreciated. 1680x1050 matte with the maxed out Nehalem of the time and a 256GB SSD.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

eBay is offering free listings through the end of the month, though I'm not sure about any restrictions. I just got $420 out of my iPhone 5S through a 3 day auction that ended last week, and it's somewhat renewed my faith in eBay being a viable selling place.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
What's the go-to USB3 card for a Mac Pro now? I was going to get this but they're adamant it doesn't work with Yosemite.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
My Macbook Air case is all busted up and I need a new one. What's a good brand/product to get?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

remember that $2800 rMBP i bought last month?

just spilled a bunch of water on it. heard battery sizzling, then it turned off. time to dry it out and hope for the best, otherwise i'm hosed.

this sucks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pivo posted:

remember that $2800 rMBP i bought last month?

just spilled a bunch of water on it. heard battery sizzling, then it turned off. time to dry it out and hope for the best, otherwise i'm hosed.

this sucks.

Got renters/ homeowners? Personal electronics are covered under a lot of those policies.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Got renters/ homeowners? Personal electronics are covered under a lot of those policies.

do have tenant insurance. may be covered, but not likely... should read over the policy in detail.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Just ordered my Retina iMac. :toot:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

kode54 posted:

Just ordered my Retina iMac. :toot:

Congratulations!

It's cool how from the smallest to the largest screens, visible pixels are becoming a thing of the past.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I keep looking around for an answer to this but I've never found an exact answer. Can the retina iMac have 2 external monitors connected (1080p)? I have to have 3 monitors at work and all I can find is that it will support 1 4K external.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pivo posted:

do have tenant insurance. may be covered, but not likely... should read over the policy in detail.

Just call them. Accidental damage, theft, fire etc and replacing the stuff contained in the home/apartment/whatever is specifically what that kind of insurance is for. The basic idea being that if the crazy cat lady upstairs from you floods her apartment you aren't up poo poo creek.

A friend had a big rear end lamp fall over and really gently caress up a MBP she owned a few years ago and was covered.

Sometimes they cover things that happen outside the apartment if it's a portable item. I know you can get electronics riders to explicitly cover any issue, anywhere that are fairly cheap (we're talking a couple bucks a month) and should really be a must-have item for anyone who owns more than a cell phone these days. If it's a spilled glass of water you will probably have better luck if you spilled the water on your laptop in your living room than if you were at a library or starbucks or something.

Good luck with all that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Don't drink near your $2500 laptops!

(I once sneezed a bunch of ramen on a laptop, it was spicy)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

wdarkk posted:

What's the go-to USB3 card for a Mac Pro now? I was going to get this but they're adamant it doesn't work with Yosemite.

I've had a Caldigit usb3/esata combo card forever and it's been well supported. Their stuff is more expensive than the one you posted though and they don't seem to have a 4-port usb3 card.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Choadmaster posted:

I've had a Caldigit usb3/esata combo card forever and it's been well supported. Their stuff is more expensive than the one you posted though and they don't seem to have a 4-port usb3 card.

That looks good, but I can't seem to buy them on amazon.com unless I want a hard drive with it, or the 200 buck usb3/sata6 combo card. I'll look around.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Good luck with all that.

I am covered! $1k deductible though and we'd lose the 5% claim-free benefit on our next renewal.

Still, if the laptop doesn't turn back on, and Apple isn't sympathetic to my plight, it will turns a $2.8k mistake into a $1k + a few dollars per month mistake.

Fun, fun, fun. loving expensive electronics, man. We live in a time where literally spilling water can cost you more than you pay for rent.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pivo posted:

I am covered! $1k deductible though and we'd lose the 5% claim-free benefit on our next renewal.

Still, if the laptop doesn't turn back on, and Apple isn't sympathetic to my plight, it will turns a $2.8k mistake into a $1k + a few dollars per month mistake.

Fun, fun, fun. loving expensive electronics, man. We live in a time where literally spilling water can cost you more than you pay for rent.

Hey, think of it this way: $1k and 5% is still a hell of a lot better than ~$3k. You might also inquire with your insurance agent about adding an electronics specific rider to your policy if you don't have one already. A lot of the times those will extend the coverage to damage, theft, etc. while outside the residence and knock the deductible down significantly. There is also frequently a maximum limit on electronics in a lot of plans and riders will often remove those caps. That can get important in the case of a catastrophic event like a fire where you lose laptop, media center, TV, phones, etc. all at once. Remember: it's not just the current value of your poo poo (aka what it's depreciated to) that you need to worry about, it's the replacement cost.

Those riders are usually pretty damned reasonable, too. I haven't looked at that part of our policy in years, but I think it adds something like $5 or $10 a month. I just remember having that conversation with my wife and our conclusion being "it's what a fast food meal costs, gently caress it let's get it."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hey, think of it this way: $1k and 5% is still a hell of a lot better than ~$3k. You might also inquire with your insurance agent about adding an electronics specific rider to your policy if you don't have one already. A lot of the times those will extend the coverage to damage, theft, etc. while outside the residence and knock the deductible down significantly. There is also frequently a maximum limit on electronics in a lot of plans and riders will often remove those caps. That can get important in the case of a catastrophic event like a fire where you lose laptop, media center, TV, phones, etc. all at once. Remember: it's not just the current value of your poo poo (aka what it's depreciated to) that you need to worry about, it's the replacement cost.

Those riders are usually pretty damned reasonable, too. I haven't looked at that part of our policy in years, but I think it adds something like $5 or $10 a month. I just remember having that conversation with my wife and our conclusion being "it's what a fast food meal costs, gently caress it let's get it."

I have both a general electronic rider (with a ridiculously high cap) *and* a portable electronics rider ($10,000 cap I think) for $100 more a year on my homeowners. It also has a lower deductible for the electronics in general and covers more types of incidents than the standard policy. For instance, my portable electronics rider also covers theft when I'm out and about. Years ago, I had a personal laptop taken from my office desk, and since work wasn't going to cover it even though it was a restricted area (and I TOTALLY knew who took it even if I could never prove it, that fucker). I had to go down to the police station, fill out a police report, give the number to my agent and three days later I was picking up a check for the full value minus $400 deductible.

Highly, highly recommend electronic riders on your home-owners/renters insurance.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The amusing thing is that I used to work for one of the biggest insurance companies in Canada and I didn't know any of this poo poo.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Apple just replaced my Air's battery. Should I calibrate it or whatever? :ohdear:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Only since Yosemite is my MBPr starting to poo poo out on me and display a no-charge symbol nowhere near around the sub 10% mark. Pre-Yosemite I could go all the way to 1% before it would die. This, coupled with the screen burn-in issue, is making me eager to get this thing into a store ASAP.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
RAM chat - I've got a Mac Mini Core i5 with 4GB RAM. I've done some photo editing and video editing on it.

Is it worth it to upgrade to 8GB?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

RAM chat - I've got a Mac Mini Core i5 with 4GB RAM. I've done some photo editing and video editing on it.

Is it worth it to upgrade to 8GB?
Probably but that's just a wild guess. Main way to know would be to open up Activity Monitor in the middle of working on stuff and checking the memory usage and pressure and swap stats and what not.

And that thing can take 16GB btw. I think they're fine with mismatched sticks too if you don't feel the need to go whole hog with the upgrade or happen to find a deal on a single stick, like you can swap one and go to 6 or 10GB.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PaganGoatPants posted:

Apple just replaced my Air's battery. Should I calibrate it or whatever? :ohdear:

You need to buy a calibration kit, then run it every three days for a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

PaganGoatPants posted:

How bad does it have to be for them to replace it?