Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

flavor posted:

You can always put the HDD back in before you sell it. Also it all really depends on a number of factors that you're not enumerating here anyway, such as where you want to sell it, the exact types of the HDD and SSD and your MBP, etc. etc.

Sorry, I was talking about SSDs in general. What I was getting at was that I don't know if the value would go down if it wasn't "stock" anymore, even though there's a superior replacement, all else being equal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shroud posted:

Sorry, I was talking about SSDs in general. What I was getting at was that I don't know if the value would go down if it wasn't "stock" anymore, even though there's a superior replacement, all else being equal.

Only pop in an SSD for your own sake because you want to use it. There will be no resale benefit (the pain in the rear end of finding someone savvy enough to know and care and compensate you for the improvement isn't worth whatever financial gain you get) and, as others have just mentioned, it may even be a detriment.

Put in the SSD, enjoy it, swap the old HDD back in when you're gonna sell the computer, sell the computer and buy a new one, put the SSD in an external housing/desktop PC/whatever and keep enjoying it. Boom. Done.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

A MacBook recent enough to support the Apple TV's secondary display mode (I can't remember what the official name is) might be a solid option. Basically, the Apple TV has a feature that lets you use whatever it's connected to as a wireless second display for a Mac (as opposed to simply display mirroring, which it can also do from a Mac/iOS device) from, I believe, 2011 forward. I wouldn't game or do any graphics-intensive stuff with it but it's pretty great for everything else.

If you're gonna stick within the Apple ecosystem, it's a way more comfortable and seamless option than hacking together a semi-portable HTPC dealie around an old Mini. If you think that a relatively new rMBP is too expensive, post-2011 Airs are selling regularly for under $600. Given the stupid way that the Apple resale marketplace works, that's not gonna be significantly far from what a Mini worth buying would run you and it's gonna be head and shoulders better than anything with a spinny HDD for what you seem to be interested in doing with it.

When you price everything out (include everything you'd need to make your ideal described setup work) and consider convenience, ease of use, and the sort of computing power you'd get out of it, spending ~$500 on a well-taken-care-of Air from one of this thread's posters on SA Mart and picking up a couple of Apple TVs (like $50-60 used on Amazon) makes way more sense to me.

And if you decide to stick a tablet in the mix, regardless of what you do, please don't get a low-tier Android tablet for cost's sake. Spring for a good one, even if it's a year or two old [which basically comes down to "get an iPad since it'll play way more nicely with whatever Mac you get than a comparable Galaxy Tab (there are no other Android tablets worth considering)." Last year's iPad Air is a good choice]. You can generally get away with an older or cheaper computer but a tablet will drive you up a loving wall if it's not spec'd out or fully baked enough to do what you want with it easily.

Sorry just saw this reply now!

I don't have an apple TV nor do I plan on it, I've got a roku and a ps3 already and I don't want to drop cash on an apple TV for something that would be largely redundant.

The reason I'm sticking to apple is because first of all I just straight up prefer OSX to windows. Secondly for what I'm doing stability is paramount, with my MBP I did one full OSX reinstall over the 6 years I had it and that was because I wanted to, and I had no straight up full on system crashes which lost my data. Even with it dying now, the HDD is fine and the data is all intact. I use PCs a lot, build them and repair them etc and no windows machine I've had has been even close to that stable. Thirdly and most importantly, I use logic pro, and have been for 10 years now. Its OSX only and at this point relearning a new system would be so time intensive as to be not worth it. This is beside the point that I honestly feel that logic is the best in its class having previously used other DAWs, so not only would it take me time to relearn everything it would leave me with something suboptimal. Seeing as I make money from this, this isn't really an option.

The Airs are great lightweight machines, but the issue here is that even the highest spec brand new machines are unable to run Logic at anything approaching useable. My old machine with a 2.4ghz dual core CPU was really really pushing it, but I could work around it and don't mind having to have that level of performance right now until I can afford to splash out on a tricked out iMac or Mac Pro or something in a year or so (right now my main concern is to just get a mac again so I can finish off projects and get paid), the Airs are just not going to cut it at all. A SSD would be desirable but is not a necessity, I still have the 7200rpm drive from my MBP which I can drop into a mac mini, and has enough transfer speed for my uses. Even running a ton of samples I didn't often hit a disk overload error, it was only ever CPU based issues which could be mitigated by the freeze function in the software anyway.

On the tablet front, I wasn't looking at "low tier" as in cheap rear end no brand models or anything, just something like a 1st gen nexus 7 or similar, as I can grab one for about £60 on refurb, they're decent machines which I've used before, and they are the Google line so they get all the upgrades for a good while. I don't really need the tablet to play nicely with the mac, its mainly for using as a web browser and other low intensity stuff instead of a laptop or my iphone.

Anyway though, even if an Air or similar was a possible option I really want to start moving away from that and getting everything setup around a desktop. My portable uses are not a large part of what I use it for as I said, but would be handy. With the mac mini I can have a comfortable desktop setup that can handle all of the screens I have, and on the small occasions I need to its small enough to take with me and use. Looking to the future as well this would let me buy an iMac/macpro later on and then just leave the mini sitting at my gfs, and take it over to italy when we go there, then later I can buy an MBP so I have both sides covered properly. But for now ease of use as a desktop with minor portability options are what I need and the MBPs and Airs do not sufficiently cover the former even though they're absolutely incredible for the latter.

edit: The one issue I did have wrt hard drives was actually just overall space. The disk in my MBP was 250gb and I was hitting against that quite badly even with just sample libraries. With the mini I can shove it in there and just keep all my samples and stuff I need decent speeds for on it, and I'll still have a 320gb drive or similar to play with for normal storage and overflow. A used air is going to either be at the same capacity as my old MBP if I can find/am willing to pay the premium, or more likely be even more compromised on this front, and I would like to avoid running samples or projects off of an external drive if possible.

Stux fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 21, 2014

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I have a strange issue with an old G3 PowerBook, it will no longer read DVDs from any player. I replaced the internal DVD drive and also tried an external USB drive, the result is the same, it starts to spin up the drive, but never reads anything and then spins down again. To remove the DVD I have to find a paper clip. I've also done a reinstall of the system and there's no change. I don't know if anyone here has any ideas on how to diagnose what's going on exactly, but the Old Mac Stuff thread seems to have died a long time ago, so I figured I'd try asking in here.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Do the non-5k iMacs have Retina screens? Is the difference between the non-5k iMacs and the 5k iMacs that stark?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Abel Wingnut posted:

Do the non-5k iMacs have Retina screens? Is the difference between the non-5k iMacs and the 5k iMacs that stark?

Oh, it's stark.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I hope my dad can appreciate the 21.5" iMac I got him for Christmas. I still have to wait until Thursday to see his reaction, and walk him through getting his stuff working with it. I did make sure there would be driver and software support for the peripherals we already have in that room, and that there's a nice multi-style Solitaire game I can buy for him after the fact, and maybe get a license for Vuescan, assuming there isn't some bundled scanning software to go with our Epson multi-function printer.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Abel Wingnut posted:

Bring a flash key with your fav hires photos to a Fruit Stand and view them side by side on a regular vs. Retina iMac, you ought to see a difference.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I think my Time Capsule is having issues - are there any logs I can pull to try to diagnose it?

It's 3.5 years old, and I've started noticing that after it's been up an running for a few days, the internet gets real slow. Youtube videos stop loading, some websites don't load at all, etc.

I first tried power cycling my Verizon FiOS router, and that did nothing. However, power cycling the Time Capsule gets everything running real nice again.

Have I just reached the end of useful life for a Time Capsule?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dexter6 posted:

I think my Time Capsule is having issues - are there any logs I can pull to try to diagnose it?

It's 3.5 years old, and I've started noticing that after it's been up an running for a few days, the internet gets real slow. Youtube videos stop loading, some websites don't load at all, etc.

I first tried power cycling my Verizon FiOS router, and that did nothing. However, power cycling the Time Capsule gets everything running real nice again.

Have I just reached the end of useful life for a Time Capsule?

I had the same issue and it drove me nuts. I have a 50Mbs connection and over time I'd be lucky to get 6Mbs until I rebooted the TC. May be a memory leak, but with no way of peeking under the hood I'm just shooting from the hip on that one. It served me well for over 3 years (and still is, at least from a network based Time Machine perspective)

I ended up getting the latest version of the AirPort Extreme, and the Time Capsule is in "extend a wireless network" mode and lives more or less as a file server still doing backups without a hitch (actually, I have a USB3 drive on my MBP and Time Machine alternates between that drive and the Time Capsule). Plus I get that sweet 802.11ac goodness now.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
My Mac Pro just died after I tried zapping the PRAM to fix a odd sleep issue I'd been seeing. Now I can't get it past the boot grey screen and it won't rezap the PRAM nor will it do a verbose safe boot. Thinking it's basically dead.

So now despite my plan to wait for the next-gen Retina iMac I'm looking at getting one. Has anyone seen a good comparison of the two video card options? I have a Windows PC I use for gaming, but I do like to occasionally play games on the Mac and the incremental cost of upgrading the video on what will be a $3-$4k Mac isn't huge.

Also, has anyone done the PayPal Credit payment plan with Apple yet? I know the older option from Barclays is basically a credit card with perks, but the PayPal thing looks different. Can I pay it with a credit card? I was going to put the amount on a airline credit card for the miles and pay it off over a couple months but if I can get 0% financing plus the miles…

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trash Can Pro or Grey Monolith Pro?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Space is getting kind of tight in my rMBP with 512GB of SSD space. drat the many many VM snapshots I need for work.

I'm thinking about getting a 128GB or 256GB SD card to offload things like music and videos to -- don't worry, I'm not stupid enough to think that I could move VMs there.
This would be strictly for media consumption, not any kind of music or video that I'd be editing. I'm just curious if anyone has done this before, and what kind of performance I can expect on media playback (hopefully no stuttering audio or video, or terrible iTunes performance).

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Binary Badger posted:

Trash Can Pro or Grey Monolith Pro?

Grey Monolith Pro. mid-2010.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Maybe replace the backup battery, else take it into the Fruit Stand so they can run MRI / Apple System Diagnostics / smother it in goat bone or something.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

fordan posted:

My Mac Pro just died after I tried zapping the PRAM to fix a odd sleep issue I'd been seeing. Now I can't get it past the boot grey screen and it won't rezap the PRAM nor will it do a verbose safe boot. Thinking it's basically dead.

Make sure your keyboard is still working and also try connecting it directly to the machine if it's not already. I've experienced several times where the keyboard stops responding after a pram reset if not directly connected. Also I'm assuming it's an Apple keyboard.

Also try disconnecting any peripherals connected as well as any non-boot drives.

Finally, try reducing the amount of memory down to the minimum 2 sticks and see if helps any.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hey I got some cool games to play on my Macbook Air over the holidays and I decided that they'd be best played using a controller/gamepad. Everyone tells me that the Xbox 360 controllers are the best to use, and it's a controller I'm used to but is there one that works best with Mac or better recommended?

Sorry if I should've asked elsewhere.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

MrChupon posted:

Space is getting kind of tight in my rMBP with 512GB of SSD space. drat the many many VM snapshots I need for work.

I'm thinking about getting a 128GB or 256GB SD card to offload things like music and videos to -- don't worry, I'm not stupid enough to think that I could move VMs there.
This would be strictly for media consumption, not any kind of music or video that I'd be editing. I'm just curious if anyone has done this before, and what kind of performance I can expect on media playback (hopefully no stuttering audio or video, or terrible iTunes performance).

I filled a 32GB card with music and iTunes performance was terrible, at least a second of wait between each song. It was supposedly a class 10 card but sometimes I wonder. After that computer got stolen I moved to using mostly Spotify.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hey I got some cool games to play on my Macbook Air over the holidays and I decided that they'd be best played using a controller/gamepad. Everyone tells me that the Xbox 360 controllers are the best to use, and it's a controller I'm used to but is there one that works best with Mac or better recommended?

bootcamp windows, games suck on os x.

xbox one controller has official windows drivers now and is apparently a pretty awesome controller.

this guy has an OS X driver for Xbox 360 controller: http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

but i'm reaaaally not sure how well that will work.

edit: but your "everyone" is right - games that support controllers on PC typically assume you're using the xbox 360 controller. it is the de facto standard.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 25, 2014

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Dual Shock 3 and 4 work natively over USB and Bluetooth. Both have worked great with Feral ported games but the DS4 doesn't work with risk of rain the last time I tried it. Feral games have 360 button prompts though.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Mac Pro early 2008 over here. Trying to extend the life span just a little bit more. Got 16GB of memory, SSD is on the list of near future upgrades, looking to replace ATI 2660 graphics in the meantime.

Is Radeon 5770 the best card I can shove into this thing for a reasonable graphics upgrade or is there something better? Talk to me like I've stopped tinkering with computer hardware assembly back in 2005.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pivo posted:

bootcamp windows, games suck on os x.

xbox one controller has official windows drivers now and is apparently a pretty awesome controller.

this guy has an OS X driver for Xbox 360 controller: http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

but i'm reaaaally not sure how well that will work.

edit: but your "everyone" is right - games that support controllers on PC typically assume you're using the xbox 360 controller. it is the de facto standard.

I don't really feel like running bootcamp. I should be able to get a cheap 360 controller and give it a try. Thanks.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

This driver works quite nicely, and I've played many SNES games with it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't really feel like running bootcamp. I should be able to get a cheap 360 controller and give it a try. Thanks.

You really should give this a second thought. The performance difference is unbelievably huge. I love my Mac but the video driver situation is pretty poo poo.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So let's say a dude like me, hypothetically, got a new iMac 5K in the coming week or two... It running in bootcamp runs more favorably the the other alternatives?

[Edit] while I'm askin... Have there been any serious "Rev A / First-Gen" issues reported or discovered? ( or where would a good place for me to go that might aggregate or report on those?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 26, 2014

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

iv46vi posted:

Mac Pro early 2008 over here. Trying to extend the life span just a little bit more. Got 16GB of memory, SSD is on the list of near future upgrades, looking to replace ATI 2660 graphics in the meantime.

2008 Mac Pros came with ATI Radeon HD 2600XTs, not 2660.

quote:

Is Radeon 5770 the best card I can shove into this thing for a reasonable graphics upgrade or is there something better? Talk to me like I've stopped tinkering with computer hardware assembly back in 2005.

If you only want graphics cards with full Mac support OOTB, MacSales sells the ATI Radeon HD 5870 for $350 which is an upclocked 5770 with nearly twice the performance, shaders, processors, etc. They also sell the Sapphire 7950 for about $129 more.

Now, if you were still a tinkerer you could buy certain brands of nearly-current technology Radeon R9 280X/280 cards for around $229 or less which would kick the asses of both previously mentioned cards, and you could flash its EEPROM to provide full EFI support (ability to option-boot to other drives); you'd have to be running Mavericks or later for this card to be fully supported though. For more info on that you should go to the MacRumors Mac Pro forums..

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Binary Badger posted:

Now, if you were still a tinkerer you could buy certain brands of nearly-current technology Radeon R9 280X/280 cards for around $229 or less which would kick the asses of both previously mentioned cards, and you could flash its EEPROM to provide full EFI support (ability to option-boot to other drives); you'd have to be running Mavericks or later for this card to be fully supported though. For more info on that you should go to the MacRumors Mac Pro forums..
I just did this with a 2010 Mac Pro and a GTX 760. It doesn't show the grey boot screen but works perfect after that. The main thing that you have to be concerned about is power consumption/power adapters.

edit: It was this one. I got it simply because I read on MacRumors that it came with the appropriate 2x6 to 1x8pin power adaptor and worked out of the box.

passionate dongs fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 26, 2014

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, should've mentioned there are both ATI and nVidia cards that will work OOTB with the standard OS X drivers on 'classic' Mac Pros simply because there are variants of those GPUs used in other Mac models.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
There's also macvidcards.com; the guy behind it is the guy that seems to post most of the video card advice on the macrumors forums. You pay a bit of a premium for him to do all the work for you, but he claims boot screen support for most cards and you don't have to worry about bricking an expensive card. I haven't bought from him yet though because I'm still trying to decide between upgrading my pro or saving up for a retina iMac...

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Feenix posted:

So let's say a dude like me, hypothetically, got a new iMac 5K in the coming week or two... It running in bootcamp runs more favorably the the other alternatives?

Sense not question make this does, we're gonna need another edit on your post

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yoda doesn't have time to restructure sentences, young one.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
If you run Boot Camp on 5K iMacs, it is currently limited to 4K (3840x2160) resolution until Apple picks up the Omega drivers and integrates them into the latest Boot Camp support package. Which may or may not happen soon.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The MBPR I want is mostly available on the refurb store. Has the low end processor versus the mid one. The price is 1439 vs 1669, should I just pull the trigger?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

can you afford it?

do you want it?

then yes.

i don't know what you plan on doing with it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Phone posted:

The MBPR I want is mostly available on the refurb store. Has the low end processor versus the mid one. The price is 1439 vs 1669, should I just pull the trigger?

13 or 15? Remember that the low-end 15" doesn't have dedicated graphics.

If you're asking about the 13"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bob Morales posted:

13 or 15? Remember that the low-end 15" doesn't have dedicated graphics.

If you're asking about the 13"

13", yeah. I'm just going to use it as a travel computer and dumping photos and videos onto it when I'm out of town. Some light gaming and development, maybe. I just need a computer before March to take with me overseas that isn't owned by my employer.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

How big of a pain is replacing internal drives in a 2010 unibody Mac mini? Grabbed one which doesn't have a working superdrive as I don't need it. The internal drive is a 320gb 5400 rpm drive and I have a 7200 rpm 250gb 2.5" drive on hand, however it seems a bit of a pain to replace the internal drive at all let alone replace the superdrive with a second HDD. I've built and repaired PCs before but from the looks of the tear downs etc I'd need a bay adaptor if I wanted to put in the second drive and even just replacing the standard drive with mine would involve messing around with removing the sensors and then putting them back on as well as removing the logic board. Is it going to be worth the hassle or should I just see if I can cope with leaving it as is and just run the other drive as an external.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've replaced the drive in my 2011 mini. I got all the tools for it except the giant staple that lets you slide the logic board out. I kinda had to turn the mini upside down to get the drive to seat properly without sliding the logic board out. But it was doable.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

MrChupon posted:

13" or 15"? I use a 128gb PNY StorEdge for music on my 13" MBA and it works perfectly. It's over half full and I've never noticed any stuttering or delays in using it. It sticks out only a mm or two on the MBA, and the packaging claims it does the same for the 15" rMBP, but the reviews on Amazon suggest it isn't near as flush for the 13".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm about to get a 5k soon and my (very smart about this stuff) buddy informed me with my limited budget I should get the 512 SSD and basically "stay the gently caress away from fusion drives."

He's never led me astray before and I don't distrust him now... just wanted to get some other thoughts from you guys. :)

My iMac right now is 512, which is just about "tolerable" but I've got no beef with living "dat external life."