Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Electric Bugaloo posted:

To take it a step further- if (relative, they're both more or less equally portable) portability isn't the most important concern and you were ok with spending the money, a refurb 15" (Iris Pro, no dGPU) would be well within your budget and would give you two extra CPU cores and more display real estate.

This is great advice, thanks! Looking at 2014 15", I will have to pay about 100€ more and lose the force touchpad to get a 15" display and the i7 2.2. Seriously considering this.

I haven't found any 15" MBP with i5, they only sell those with i7 correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Neco posted:

This is great advice, thanks! Looking at 2014 15", I will have to pay about 100€ more and lose the force touchpad to get a 15" display and the i7 2.2. Seriously considering this.

I haven't found any 15" MBP with i5, they only sell those with i7 correct?

I think i7 quad core is the only option for 15"

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Apparently the dGPU in the new 15" MBP (M370X) is a Cape Verde variant, rather than a cut down Tonga. Ouch!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Just upgraded my MBP 2008 to the 2015 model and have the unpleasant surprise that windows 7 isn't supported for boot camp any more. Just as a slight warning in case anyone else was on the fence and uses it for games etc.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Hace posted:

Apparently the dGPU in the new 15" MBP (M370X) is a Cape Verde variant, rather than a cut down Tonga. Ouch!

http://netkas.org/?p=1387

Ouch indeed. Getting stomped by the 750 Ti is not a good place to be.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hace posted:

So is that an upgrade/sidegrade/downgrade from the Nvidias that they had there before? (AFAIK, they kept the same 750m between 2013 and 2014 right?)

As an aside: on the one hand it's a smidge annoying that they haven't made bigger strides in the last few years.

On the other, it feels pretty good to know that my almost-2 year old computer can still easily go toe-to-toe with the current TOTL and will (hopefully) last me considerably longer than it would've had this been even a year or two earlier.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

Just upgraded my MBP 2008 to the 2015 model and have the unpleasant surprise that windows 7 isn't supported for boot camp any more. Just as a slight warning in case anyone else was on the fence and uses it for games etc.

Wow, that's interesting. I didn't realize boot camp was different for different hardware, although maybe it's not that far of a leap since it will not offer the option to create a boot USB on Macs with an integrated SuperDrive. I have the mid 2014 rMBP 15" on 10.10.3 and just checked and it clearly states Windows 7 or later.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

flosofl posted:

Wow, that's interesting. I didn't realize boot camp was different for different hardware, although maybe it's not that far of a leap since it will not offer the option to create a boot USB on Macs with an integrated SuperDrive. I have the mid 2014 rMBP 15" on 10.10.3 and just checked and it clearly states Windows 7 or later.

Microsoft ended mainstream support in January for Windows 7 meaning no new features or driver support for new hardware. Security updates will still roll in until 2020. There's no reason to support an OS that's already hit mainstream EOL.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Either wait until the 2015s start showing up in the refurb store and/or wait for a batch of 2013s. If you can do both you'll save the most.

If you don't care about the ForceTouch trackpad, the performance differences between the 2015 model and both the 2013 and 2014 ones are negligible. In your shoes, I'd much rather get a well-appointed 2013/14 model with 16gb RAM from the refurb store than a brand new one with base specs (a Haswell i7 beats a Broadwell i5....which beats a Haswell i5 by like a hair).

To take it a step further- if (relative, they're both more or less equally portable) portability isn't the most important concern and you were ok with spending the money, a refurb 15" (Iris Pro, no dGPU) would be well within your budget and would give you two extra CPU cores and more display real estate.

Strangely enough, I'm in the market for a new MBP and a few days ago I found on the Apple website a 13" 2014 refurb with 512GB SSD and 8GB. Perfect. So, I go in to a store yesterday to see if I'm ok with 13" as compared to the 2010 15" I have now and when I got home to click 'buy' on the refurb, I find that they are out of stock and that the new MBPs have just (March for the 13", Monday for the 15") come out. Is this some Apple witchcraft and if I wait a week the 2014 refurbs will be back or did they get rushed by other people? Since it turns out that I don't actually care that much about screen size (or CPUs) it is actually cheaper for me to buy a brand new 13" than any of the refurbs that have enough SSD space.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

fleshweasel posted:

I just got a refurbished iMac with retina display and I noticed some ghosting on dark backgrounds. Is there something I can do besides mail it back to Apple to exchange it?

edit: it's basically certain shades of gray that cause this nasty ghosting.
Mine does this too (only on specific shades of gray like you said) and I've learned to not care because it's never long lasting and fairly rare occurring.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Seconding this, been using them for many months now and they're great. Every once in a while it's slightly annoying to attach the Magsafe but it's so much better than disconnecting all the time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MickeyFinn posted:

Is this some Apple witchcraft and if I wait a week the 2014 refurbs will be back or did they get rushed by other people?

I dunno. Tbh, I could see it being either one, maybe both. I wouldn't call it witchcraft- maybe they just needed to update the store with new prices or whatever and they're up now.

I've never looked at refurbs during a product refresh but I could imagine the refurb store getting hammered around that time too.

I'm sure someone in this thread knows what the deal is.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So is that an upgrade/sidegrade/downgrade from the Nvidias that they had there before? (AFAIK, they kept the same 750m between 2013 and 2014 right?)

As an aside: on the one hand it's a smidge annoying that they haven't made bigger strides in the last few years.

On the other, it feels pretty good to know that my almost-2 year old computer can still easily go toe-to-toe with the current TOTL and will (hopefully) last me considerably longer than it would've had this been even a year or two earlier.
Yeah, I still have no reason to be mad about buying a Late 2013 rMBP. And in fact, it continues to hold up pretty well.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I have a Magsafe 1 that I connect to the Magsafe 2 thing with one of Apple's adapters. It's pretty strong. It's very easy to rotate it out of the port, but if you try to pull it out - the magnet is very strong. Haven't experienced the described issues personally since I always use the adapter and keep my real Magsafe 2 in a travel bag. It really is a VERY strong magnet! It just rotates out easier since it's smaller, but whatever, it works for me in bed and stuff.

So... if you have one, that may be a cheap fix.

edit: just right now, I tried pulling on the adapter, and instead of disconnecting it just moved my whole 15" rMBP across my desk. I had to pull fairly hard to get it to disconnect. If you rotate it, instantly disconnects.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 23, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MickeyFinn posted:

Strangely enough, I'm in the market for a new MBP and a few days ago I found on the Apple website a 13" 2014 refurb with 512GB SSD and 8GB. Perfect. So, I go in to a store yesterday to see if I'm ok with 13" as compared to the 2010 15" I have now and when I got home to click 'buy' on the refurb, I find that they are out of stock and that the new MBPs have just (March for the 13", Monday for the 15") come out. Is this some Apple witchcraft and if I wait a week the 2014 refurbs will be back or did they get rushed by other people? Since it turns out that I don't actually care that much about screen size (or CPUs) it is actually cheaper for me to buy a brand new 13" than any of the refurbs that have enough SSD space.

Use https://www.refurb.me to set up an alert for the configuration you want to buy and then wait for the email to come.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Red Oktober posted:

Yeah they announced this a while back, I think Windows 8 was also unsupported (but 8.1 was ok).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Welp, got the replacement mini encrypted and backed up and it dies.

Don't get a BTO Mini, is what I'm saying.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
So I just booted my 2014 MacBook Pro Retina up and the screen has a yellow tint. When I go to the color calibration area in preferences, and click on another color profile, it looks like that color profile should for about 2 seconds then goes back to the yellow tint. Any idea what causes this?

A link of a video

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 24, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Good Will Hrunting posted:

So I just booted my 2014 MacBook Pro Retina up and the screen has a yellow tint. When I go to the color calibration area in preferences, and click on another color profile, it looks like that color profile should for about 2 seconds then goes back to the yellow tint. Any idea what causes this?

A link of a video

Probably a stupid question, but you don't have anything like f.lux installed do you?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Probably a stupid question, but you don't have anything like f.lux installed do you?

That's.. actually not a stupid question because thats what it was. What the hell is this app? (This is my work computer, so it comes configured by the company and I've never even head of this thing).

Phew, I feel dumb but at least I dodged the bullet of an Apple store appointment on Memorial Day Weekend.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Good Will Hrunting posted:

That's.. actually not a stupid question because thats what it was. What the hell is this app? (This is my work computer, so it comes configured by the company and I've never even head of this thing).

Phew, I feel dumb but at least I dodged the bullet of an Apple store appointment on Memorial Day Weekend.

It changes the color temp based on the time of day to cause less eye-strain. Whether this is objectively true I don't know.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

flosofl posted:

It changes the color temp based on the time of day to cause less eye-strain. Whether this is objectively true I don't know.

It is completely 100% true. The brightness of the LED display can't really get that low, the lowest setting is still too bright. Changing the colour temperature helps a LOT at night with eye strain.

It's a fantastic application. I have it set to the most aggressive setting, like as soon as the sun sets it starts ramping down the temperature pretty hard. I love it.

If you do design or photography related work, it's trivial to make flux turn itself off when those applications are in the foreground. I do it for VLC and Aperture.

So the reason I say it's 100% true is if I tab in to Aperture in the middle the night after browsing the web or whatever, the colour temp changes, and my eyes loving burn.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I recognized the behavior because I have f.lux on my home PC. I like it, and as Pivo said you can easily set it to turn itself on/off depending on what program/game you have open.

E: The fact that it came pre-installed on your work machine is a little weird though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, I recognized the behavior because I have f.lux on my home PC. I like it, and as Pivo said you can easily set it to turn itself on/off depending on what program/game you have open.

E: The fact that it came pre-installed on your work machine is a little weird though.

I bet he's got a Usability dept or someone in HR is all about ergonomics.

The last company I was in used to *live* for people to call in saying their chairs were uncomfortable. They'd swoop in, make all sorts of measurements, adjust the chair settings and then *lock* them in place. After that "gently caress you, according to our documented procedures that chair is in the optimal setting for comfort, new chair request denied".

My co-worker made the mistake of complaining. Fortunately the method they used to lock the chairs was easily reversible as they only made it so the levers and knobs no longer did anything. 30 minutes of tinkering and all was well.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

its a terrible application, i don't know how anybody uses their computer with it on. After 21:00 you end up glaring at your computer to read text.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

opus111 posted:

its a terrible application, i don't know how anybody uses their computer with it on. After 21:00 you end up glaring at your computer to read text.

I've never used the mac version but pc version is pretty configurable. The effect slowly fades in and I don't even notice it.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

opus111 posted:

is your screen's backlight a lone firefly that you keep malnourished

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there a place or person in the US that does hard anodization for Macbook Pros? Total disassembly of the screen and bottom of course. I know Colorware is the big player in customization of Macbooks but they just paint. I'm looking for hard type 3 anodization.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Can someone comment on this? I asked earlier if the Nvidia -> AMD shift was a good or bad thing and didn't get a response.

I've got a mid-2009 15" MBP (the model with a discrete GPU) that was a trooper all through grad school, but I really want to replace it soon. Ideally I'd like to get the latest version of what I had - probably a 15" MBPr with the discrete GPU. I don't mind paying the extra since I only buy a new computer about every 4-6 years.

The problem is that if the dGPU in the new one is a dog I might just go another direction. I really don't want to pick up something for a few thousand today that I have to replace two or three years down the road.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

This reddit thread has a lot of different benchmarks comparing the two. It's a lot better, even in some benchmarks up to 80% better. But then again the GT750M was only about half as powerful as it's sister card the GTX 750. A commenter on Anandtech pointed out Nvidias hatred for OpenCL had a lot to do with it.

Question time: What are you doing with it? The dGPU in the new 15" rMBP is essentially a GTX750TI in terms of performance.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I play video games on my rMBP with the dGPU, but not anything terribly powerful and I have to use lower settings than I otherwise would. It's not bad though if you want to get some Cities in on the go.

Secht
Oct 5, 2012
Just picked up a new Retina Macbook this past Saturday and I am struggling to like the keyboard. I go between typing too hard to too light. It's just very unsatisfying. The computer has been quick enough for everything else I do on it (Netflix, Twitch, office apps) between five or so spaces and god, is it light.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Secht posted:

It's just very unsatisfying.

You can always return it and get a MBP 13. Make sure to tell them the reason.

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

You can always return it and get a MBP 13. Make sure to tell them the reason.

Yep, pretty sure that's the road I am already on.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

But then again the GT750M was only about half as powerful as it's sister card the GTX 750. A commenter on Anandtech pointed out Nvidias hatred for OpenCL had a lot to do with it.

Yep. And let's remember that, for many OpenCL workloads, the Integrated Iris Pro offered better performance than the GT750M. Short of CUDA-only applications, it's nearly impossible not to improve on the old 750M.

That thing was pretty much a dog, but it was the dog Nvidia had available for everyone to use.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 26, 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Finally found that mid 2012 MBP15 with the hi-res screen and 2.6 i7 quad. Someone listed one on ebay without any detailed specs and lovely photos, as usual. Had to spot to the silver bezel and about this mac photo. $750 seems like a good price. Cleaned up well.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

BlackMK4 posted:

Use https://www.refurb.me to set up an alert for the configuration you want to buy and then wait for the email to come.

Found exactly what I was looking for on Amazon warehouse. Brand new with a beat up box. Too bad it turns out to have a 128GB SSD (MGX72LL/A) and not the 512GB SSD (MGX92LL/A) as listed. Back you go!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Molten Llama posted:

Yep. And let's remember that, for many OpenCL workloads, the Integrated Iris Pro offered better performance than the GT750M. Short of CUDA-only applications, it's nearly impossible not to improve on the old 750M.

That thing was pretty much a dog, but it was the dog Nvidia had available for everyone to use.

Wasn't the only reason that the Iris Pro was "better" in benchmarks was because equal weight was given to memory bandwidth?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just put in 16GB into a mid 2012 MBP15. What a golden age we live in where top shelf ram(corsair) that maxes out a relatively new laptop only costs $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Has anyone put out an SSD upgrade for a late 2013 MBP yet? its the pcie ssd