Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

This reddit thread has a lot of different benchmarks comparing the two. It's a lot better, even in some benchmarks up to 80% better. But then again the GT750M was only about half as powerful as it's sister card the GTX 750. A commenter on Anandtech pointed out Nvidias hatred for OpenCL had a lot to do with it.

Question time: What are you doing with it? The dGPU in the new 15" rMBP is essentially a GTX750TI in terms of performance.

Does this AMD chip support HDMI 2.0? I just discovered that HDMI 2.0 means 4K @ 60Hz, which also means no goofy cables and adapters. Just straight HDMI. That's a big plus in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Apples website says 4096 x 2160 at 24 Hz.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
So I got a mouse off amazon for gaming type stuff. It was cheap but works well, except there are no custom drivers for the mac like other brands. My extra mouse buttons aren't showing in the Mission Control control panel. I just wanted to set a button to show the desktop as a convenience.
Only real solutions I have seen that apply to Yosemite were to install a 3rd party software like USB Overdrive or SteerMouse. USB Overdrive I have on now but it kinda sucks and there is no direct way to set up a simple option.

Are there any fixes that don't involve 3rd party software? I saw some mentions of removing files and that kind of thing but they looked old.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JHVH-1 posted:

So I got a mouse off amazon for gaming type stuff. It was cheap but works well, except there are no custom drivers for the mac like other brands. My extra mouse buttons aren't showing in the Mission Control control panel. I just wanted to set a button to show the desktop as a convenience.
Only real solutions I have seen that apply to Yosemite were to install a 3rd party software like USB Overdrive or SteerMouse. USB Overdrive I have on now but it kinda sucks and there is no direct way to set up a simple option.

Are there any fixes that don't involve 3rd party software? I saw some mentions of removing files and that kind of thing but they looked old.

Better Touch Tool?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

flosofl posted:

Better Touch Tool?
Did you read the post you quoted? Lol.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Did you read the post you quoted? Lol.

I am a dumb.

Read that as does anyone *know* of any 3rd party...

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
To be fair BTT is some pretty handy 3rd party software to have installed. If he can't come up with a better solution it's probably the best option.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is the Mac mini just really finicky about seating of memory chips in the slot? I picked up 2x4gb DDR3 1333 SODIMMs and had to reseat them to get it to boot at all. I think my new memory's bad because it runs for maybe 1 minute before some visual glitch occurs and the screen freezes. When I put the old memory back in, it just made 3 beeps on boot and then finally booted when I took em back out and put them back with the top chip and bottom chip swapped. The new memory glitched out during the boot time diagnostic while the old memory made it through in the end.

I'm just bummed a bit, cause this was a Mac mini going from 2gb to 8gb which was desperately needed.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I think there's a certain slot, prolly whichever is labelled 1 on the PCB, that is used for SPD. Don't quote me on that, I don't know about that Mini specifically just some dumb mobos do that. So if you're mixing RAM that might be your problem. But I'm pretty much just guessing.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
IIRC doesn't the mini only take a specific clock speed? 1600mhz? I had to make sure mine was that when I upgraded it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

robodex posted:

IIRC doesn't the mini only take a specific clock speed? 1600mhz? I had to make sure mine was that when I upgraded it.

Well typically you can put faster ram into 'slower slots' but not slower ram into 'faster slots'. Although I would have expected the latter to not work at all.

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!
Finally went to the Apple store to check out the new MacBook Retina. While nice it is just too small for my use case. I have had Macbook 13 and Macbook Air 13s. Currently have a 15 MBP Retina. However I really want a dedicated laptop running windows. I was thinking of Yoga Pro 3 but the quality of Apple products are just so much better. Wished the new MacBook had a bigger screen.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

OatmealRocks posted:

However I really want a dedicated laptop running windows.

Get a nice used/off-lease business class laptop from Dell/HP/Lenovo for windows (they can be had for a song, especially compare to Apple new prices). The build is nice if you do your homework. Stay away from gamer/consumer poo poo (unless you actually want to game).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

robodex posted:

With DDR3 and SPD, you could replace all of the RAM with faster RAM and it'll just clock it down to what it wants. But the way Macs (and some PC mobos?) do SPD is weird, so if you mix RAM, you have to figure out how it works to get them all to work. If you just replace all the sticks with faster-than-stock RAM, you'll be fine. But I can't promise that for DDR2 machines, although I was mixing sticks even just putting the fast ones in didn't make it boot. Fuckin' weird. I was able to make it boot with one slow stick and one fast stick, but only in a certain configuration...

My desktop PCs, I can basically throw whatever drat RAM in there I want in any configuration. It may not be as fast as if you did it properly, but it'll at least boot. Macs are a bit weird in this regard, IMO.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 28, 2015

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought the 2011 mini took 1333 MHz. I bought this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-1333mhz-PC3-10666-204-pin-CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9/dp/B002YUF8ZG

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202283

Did I pick the right stuff? I never got the graphical glitches with the original memory so is that a good sign the new memory is defective?

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
Is there a compelling reason to buy a 13' 2015 MBP over a 2014 model? I'm aiming to get a mac at some point this summer, and I'm not sure whether I should wait for a best buy back to school sale or just buy a 2014 refurb. As far as I know, the 2015 models have two main advantages - Force Touch and faster SSDs (If I understand correctly though its barely perceptible over the 2014 model), but that's about it?

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

CerebralDonut posted:

Is there a compelling reason to buy a 13' 2015 MBP over a 2014 model? I'm aiming to get a mac at some point this summer, and I'm not sure whether I should wait for a best buy back to school sale or just buy a 2014 refurb. As far as I know, the 2015 models have two main advantages - Force Touch and faster SSDs (If I understand correctly though its barely perceptible over the 2014 model), but that's about it?

That's it, but as someone who just bought a 2015 13 inch MacBook and almost immediately traded it in for the 15 inch, force touch is fantastic, and I can't wait to see how more apps integrate it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

flosofl posted:

I am a dumb.

Read that as does anyone *know* of any 3rd party...

Well I don't know why none of the things I found in my searches mentioned BetterTouchTool, but it seems like a way better suggestion than the other ones I checked out. Since I do own the magic trackpad in addition to the mouse it would be more useful. So thanks.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

uninterrupted posted:

That's it, but as someone who just bought a 2015 13 inch MacBook and almost immediately traded it in for the 15 inch, force touch is fantastic, and I can't wait to see how more apps integrate it.

What's cool about the Force Touch? From what I saw in the future it's an annoyance at best. At least I could turn it off.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

From what I saw in the future it's an annoyance at best. At least I could turn it off.

I'm sorry, come again???

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm sorry, come again???

Calm down. He's from the future. He hasn't even come the first time yet.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I'm looking to buy the top rMBP 15 inch and I'm wondering if it's worth the money to go from 2.5 to 2.8 on the CPU. What kind of boost am I looking at? (As an aside, my current MBP is from mid 2010 so I tend to keep these machines a while.)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm sorry, come again???

I meant to say in the store.

Yeah, in the.. store. I'm not a time traveller haha.

Ha..

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Yeah, in the.. store. I'm not a time traveller haha.

Yeah, you would say that.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Recommendation on a hard case for a MBP?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

Personally, I got the Kuzy rubberized shell from Amazon and have been very happy with them. I have one for both my late-2012 13" and my mid-2014 15".

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

I got a plastic case from Monoprice and it's pretty neat. Not sure I want to keep using it, but it is good value for money considering it is good quality and was inexpensive, and would likely protect the laptop from dents or blemishes. While physically it's not heavy, it does add a bit of ... mental 'bulk' to the machine. It makes me feel my laptop is fat, whereas when it was bare, it felt tiny. I have a 15" rMBP btw.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Thanks. Going to try the incipio feather. Was super cheap on Amazon.

Anyway, I see these pop up on eBay pretty often.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=121665770339

If I see a brand new just release Mac on eBay for less than retail, is it stolen? Why else would someone sell it on the open market just to lose money if they paid retail? Apple discount shenanigans?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks. Going to try the incipio feather. Was super cheap on Amazon.

Anyway, I see these pop up on eBay pretty often.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=121665770339

If I see a brand new just release Mac on eBay for less than retail, is it stolen? Why else would someone sell it on the open market just to lose money if they paid retail? Apple discount shenanigans?

Yeah, that looks shady as hell. Even ignoring the $150 or so discount on it (which doesn't happen), that's a CTO version and legit re-sellers don't sell those. I'd be willing to bet if you try to register it for warranty, it gets bounced back as stolen.

EDIT: Just a thought, what if it's an Apple employee using their internal discount to buy one and then selling it?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hmm, but a lot of these sellers have very high positive reviews so its not like they are being sold under smurf accounts.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Not definitive but makes sense:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/New-Apple-laptops-listed-on-eBay-are-mostly-stolen-/10000000013607048/g.html

Looks like you can still get warranty on it.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

flosofl posted:

EDIT: Just a thought, what if it's an Apple employee using their internal discount to buy one and then selling it?

That's actually pretty rare, since as soon as the buyer goes to register it, it would pop up as an EPP purchase and the employee who bought it would most likely lose their job.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Does apple actually check registrations? I would assume with the volume of sales they make it's likely something that'd only be noticed if they had to look at it (e.g. a support call.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

robodex posted:

Does apple actually check registrations? I would assume with the volume of sales they make it's likely something that'd only be noticed if they had to look at it (e.g. a support call.)

If you're bringing something in for service you bet they check. It's part of the procedure when you do a service check-in.

Fake edit: they usually only have an email address and a physical address to verify with though, depends on the info given at purchase. A few years ago when I had to hang at the Apple store for certain jobs, I used to see people say "oh this is my boyfriends/girlfriends/partners" machine and as long as they could verify the address the genius was fine with it.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 1, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yup I took my girlfriend-at-the-time's machine in cuz she had an exam and I had the car. They gave zero shits as long as I knew what I was talking about.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Looking for a messenger type bag (or anything not a backpack) for my 15" MBP that has a well sized pocket for the power adapter and as small/slim as possible.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

If you're bringing something in for service you bet they check. It's part of the procedure when you do a service check-in.

Fake edit: they usually only have an email address and a physical address to verify with though, depends on the info given at purchase. A few years ago when I had to hang at the Apple store for certain jobs, I used to see people say "oh this is my boyfriends/girlfriends/partners" machine and as long as they could verify the address the genius was fine with it.

Ah, good point. I was more referring to the way people were acting, as if activating a stolen/EPP mac will set off some sort of immediate red flag at Apple. In reality, they probably have thousands and thousands of registrations per week and it's easier to just deal with these situations when they come in.

That being said, it makes sense they don't really go after people who have bought stolen macs off eBay. It's a much better use of their time and far better PR to go after the sellers and people doing the stealing rather than Joe Q Public who just thinks they're getting a good deal. Still doesn't make it any less illegal but it's not really worth it for them to inconvenience individual buyers.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
When did Apple add clamshell mode to OS X? I remember a long long time ago you had to use some 3rd party hack to get that working.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I've been using it since whenever the last gen of PowerBook G4's came out, so 2003-ish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

1st AD posted:

I've been using it since whenever the last gen of PowerBook G4's came out, so 2003-ish?

Oh maybe I'm thinking about running clamshell mode without meeting the connection reqs.