Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

enojy posted:

Well, the institution that handles financing for Apple rejected me for reasons unknown (hilariously in a packed Apple store, no less,) so I had to go the Best Buy route. It actually worked out; they were having a sale that put the new MBPs about $15 more expensive than Apple's education discount, but I was able to take an extra $100 off via a BB student coupon. Success!

I'd like to get a silicone/rubberized skin just to preserve the finish (CATS) but there are tons of cheap ones on Amazon, and then the $40-50 Speck one sold in stores. Are there any that are generally recommended?

If you really think your credit is fine you may want to check your credit report. A few years ago I applied for a credit card and only got an $800 limit. Seemed odd given what I knew my credit score was.

Checked my report a few days later.... Experian had merged me with two other people. They had medical bills for days, a couple cars repo'd, a wife and each had a mortgage. Hundreds of thousands of dollars of bad debt associated to me. I was surprised I even got a card to be honest.

The craziest part was that when I called Experian I was expecting something about the same level as Comcast customer service. I was blown away when the reps were very professional and took care of the whole thing in 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

benisntfunny posted:

If you really think your credit is fine you may want to check your credit report. A few years ago I applied for a credit card and only got an $800 limit. Seemed odd given what I knew my credit score was.

Checked my report a few days later.... Experian had merged me with two other people. They had medical bills for days, a couple cars repo'd, a wife and each had a mortgage. Hundreds of thousands of dollars of bad debt associated to me. I was surprised I even got a card to be honest.

The craziest part was that when I called Experian I was expecting something about the same level as Comcast customer service. I was blown away when the reps were very professional and took care of the whole thing in 15 minutes.

I'm pretty sure it's fine. Credit Karma (I know, I know) e-mailed me after I applied for financing to let me know my credit report had changed (it simply had my inquiry added) so I took that time to look over everything to see if I could figure it out, and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I very well could have typed my address in wrong or something. I'll find out in a week, if the rejection letter tells me anything!

Thanks for the recommendations for cases/sleeves, all! I'll probably just stick with a sleeve.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

enojy posted:

I'm pretty sure it's fine. Credit Karma (I know, I know) e-mailed me after I applied for financing to let me know my credit report had changed (it simply had my inquiry added) so I took that time to look over everything to see if I could figure it out, and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I very well could have typed my address in wrong or something. I'll find out in a week, if the rejection letter tells me anything!

Thanks for the recommendations for cases/sleeves, all! I'll probably just stick with a sleeve.

I spent a month trying to figure out why a company was rejecting me for credit until I finally paid for a credit report and saw that while I was entering "900 Apartment A" for my address, my official address was listed as "900A." :facepalm: They'll reject you for stuff like that if things don't seem to match up since it's all automated.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

terre packet posted:

I have a 2015 13" MacBook Pro, and am considering buying a 3840x2160
Dell P2415Q
as an external display in clamshell mode. Apple states the laptop supports that resolution, but I'm apprehensive about the Intel Iris Graphics 6100 smoothly pushing 8.2 million pixels. I don't do anything video intensive on my MacBook, unless you count playing Hearthstone. Should I be okay or is it more realistic to buy a 2560x1440 monitor instead?

I'd be leary of running any laptop with the lid closed. Before I got my iMac I had a mid 2013 15" which was driving two external monitors. The keys on the built in keyboard would get very warm to the touch. If you close the lid it's going to keep it hotter, which will shorten its life.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Tremblay posted:

I'd be leary of running any laptop with the lid closed. Before I got my iMac I had a mid 2013 15" which was driving two external monitors. The keys on the built in keyboard would get very warm to the touch. If you close the lid it's going to keep it hotter, which will shorten its life.

This is how you run an external monitor from an Apple laptop. You run it with the lid closed. They are designed for this use case: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201834

Don't fear-monger.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Pivo posted:

This is how you run an external monitor from an Apple laptop. You run it with the lid closed. They are designed for this use case: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201834

Don't fear-monger.

I'm simply relaying my experience which was it got really loving hot. I'm sorry if that is fear mongering in your eyes. My typical workflows might be a touch different than a lot of folks here and certainly that would contribute.

also "This is how you run an external monitor from an Apple laptop. " Is loving laughable. It's something that you can do. I'm shocked to hear that the apple gods will poo poo on me for running built-in + 2 external monitors at once. Oh the humanity.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Tremblay posted:

I'm simply relaying my experience which was it got really loving hot. I'm sorry if that is fear mongering in your eyes. My typical workflows might be a touch different than a lot of folks here and certainly that would contribute.

also "This is how you run an external monitor from an Apple laptop. " Is loving laughable. It's something that you can do. I'm shocked to hear that the apple gods will poo poo on me for running built-in + 2 external monitors at once. Oh the humanity.

I said run an external monitor, not run dual monitors. I linked you an article on Apple's own support site.

This is a use-case that has been designed for. The laptop may "get hot", but the hardware is aware of its own thermal envelope and will not overheat. Plus, what is hot to your bare hand is probably not what the hardware would consider hot. I mean, I wouldn't stick my hand in a pot of water @ 80C, but that's perfectly fine for a CPU.

Basically: stop spreading FUD. It won't overheat.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Pivo posted:

I said run an external monitor, not run dual monitors. I linked you an article on Apple's own support site.

This is a use-case that has been designed for. The laptop may "get hot", but the hardware is aware of its own thermal envelope and will not overheat. Plus, what is hot to your bare hand is probably not what the hardware would consider hot. I mean, I wouldn't stick my hand in a pot of water @ 80C, but that's perfectly fine for a CPU.

Basically: stop spreading FUD. It won't overheat.

I think we're talking past each other.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tremblay posted:

I think we're talking past each other.

No, you're talking to Pivo, which is much worse.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

FCKGW posted:

No, you're talking to Pivo, which is much worse.

Really should read someone's rap sheet prior to replying. Oh well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tremblay posted:

Really should read someone's rap sheet prior to replying. Oh well.

You're still wrong, tho.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

terre packet posted:

I have a 2015 13" MacBook Pro, and am considering buying a 3840x2160
Dell P2415Q
as an external display in clamshell mode. Apple states the laptop supports that resolution, but I'm apprehensive about the Intel Iris Graphics 6100 smoothly pushing 8.2 million pixels. I don't do anything video intensive on my MacBook, unless you count playing Hearthstone. Should I be okay or is it more realistic to buy a 2560x1440 monitor instead?

I tried it with a baseline mid-2014 15" and returned it. It acted really buggy initially and wasn't working right with the DisplayPort. Scaling is unusably small beyond 2560x1400. The 1080 retinal mode looks great but for the price I'd just get a 27" 2560x1440.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

benisntfunny posted:

That part of credit reporting is heavily regulated under FCRA, so yeah, they're pretty loving nice about it.

The last thing they want is for you to get cheesed off and call the FTC.

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011
Pushing down the upper left corner of the A-key on my Macbook Air gets it stuck. Pressing elsewhere on that key fixes it again, but it’s annoying. I saw people on youtube taking keys off and cleaning them, but I am not sure that’s intended to be done by users. What if the key does not fit back on? Is there an easy fix for that problem? Otherwise I have 2 weeks of AppleCare left.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

rabatz posted:

Pushing down the upper left corner of the A-key on my Macbook Air gets it stuck. Pressing elsewhere on that key fixes it again, but it’s annoying. I saw people on youtube taking keys off and cleaning them, but I am not sure that’s intended to be done by users. What if the key does not fit back on? Is there an easy fix for that problem? Otherwise I have 2 weeks of AppleCare left.

Do you not have an Apple Store nearby? If you still have AppleCare, I don't see why you wouldn't just take it in and have them do whatever is needed to fix it. It's what I did when my 2012 rMBP had a key that squeaked when pressed down at certain places.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Anyone used a hardshell case like this one on their MBP?

I'm currently running naked and would like to get something on it.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007

Fanatic posted:

My early 2011 17" Macbook Pro started crashing and getting stuck on a grey screen with pink vertical stripes on bootup. So I took it to the Genius bar yesterday and they're going to replace the logic board for free, waiving the $720 fee! :woop:

Was kind of surprised they honoured the known issue thing considering it's now over four years old and has 3rd party RAM and battery. The iFixit way to replace the logic board looks like a pain in the rear end so I'm so glad I don't have to do it now. Thanks Apple. :)

My 2011 MBPro just started doing the same thing, I'm aware of the repair program but I'm a little worried about whether or not they'll honour it, since I've replaced the harddrive, optical disk, ram, battery, wifi card and the entire display assembly. Does this thread have any accepted wisdom regarding using Apple vs. an 'Apple Authorized Service Provider'? I'm in Sydney (Australia) if that changes anything.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ashex posted:

I had one before, eventually the extra thickness of it make me get tired of it. I just use a sleeve but these are definitely an alternative.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I have a similar case I got from Monoprice because I dented the gently caress out of my old MBP and figured it'd be a good investment. Also I think I needed to pass some threshold for free shipping.

It's not bad. The only time I carry my rMBP is in a backpack so the few mm of extra thickness doesn't bother me, and I enjoy the rubberized texture. I also like that I can put stickers on it without worrying about how I'm going to eventually get them off of the case.

That being said, I'm not sure it offers that much protection, but I'm not about to perform a drop test on purpose. My rMBP has fallen off my bed once with the case on and did not get dented, but one event is nowhere near enough study.

Get it if the bulk doesn't bother you. It doesn't bother me - I used to lug around a 17" Dell desktop replacement work bought me. Even with the case, this thing is a featherweight by comparison.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ashex posted:

I think I'm using that exact one in red. It's fine, bottom scratches easily, but that's almost the point. Fans spin up sometimes, but I've no idea if that's anything to do with the case as I've had it as long as the laptop.

The little white feet on the bottom keep coming unstuck too. All in all I'd recommend it for the price.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Sorry in advance as I'm sure this has been asked before.

I bought a MBPr a couple months ago and now something inside is rattling. Since the rattling started, the battery life has turned to poo poo and sometimes key clicks don't register.
Anyway, I have a genius bar appointment and I'm gonna try to get it replaced. Problem is I don't have a reciept for the purchase and I also don't have the CC I bought it with (although the CC I bought it with was in my name). Is this a problem? Will they service/replace it under the 1yr warranty anyway?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Pertplus posted:

Sorry in advance as I'm sure this has been asked before.

I bought a MBPr a couple months ago and now something inside is rattling. Since the rattling started, the battery life has turned to poo poo and sometimes key clicks don't register.
Anyway, I have a genius bar appointment and I'm gonna try to get it replaced. Problem is I don't have a reciept for the purchase and I also don't have the CC I bought it with (although the CC I bought it with was in my name). Is this a problem? Will they service/replace it under the 1yr warranty anyway?

Service, yes. Replace, no. There's only two moving parts inside the Retina MBPs and they're both fans. There's a pretty good chance something got into the computer and is causing the rattling sound. Battery life issues are probably unrelated and caused by software. They will test your battery.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

1997 posted:

Service, yes. Replace, no. There's only two moving parts inside the Retina MBPs and they're both fans. There's a pretty good chance something got into the computer and is causing the rattling sound. Battery life issues are probably unrelated and caused by software. They will test your battery.

I don't think that's it. The thing rattling is obviously too large and heavy to have snuck in through a crack. See this video of it rattling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAmYGoB_uzA. So is there no way around me losing my laptop for >1 day while they service it? I'm in grad school and do all my work on my macbook so I really can't afford to lose it for even a day. Really frustrating to have this problem with a >$2k laptop I just bought specifically to avoid dealing with things not "Just working".

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 18, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pertplus posted:

I don't think that's it. The thing rattling is obviously too large and heavy to have snuck in through a crack. See this video of it rattling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAmYGoB_uzA. So is there no way around me losing my laptop for >1 day while they service it? I'm in grad school and do all my work on my macbook so I really can't afford to lose it for even a day. Really frustrating to have this problem with a >$2k laptop I just bought specifically to avoid dealing with things not "Just working".

I had the same exact problem with a brand new 2015 rMBP from the day I opened it. Unfortunately, I can't help, as I opted to exchange it for a different unit within the return window. I didn't notice any other issues you mentioned, but I only used it for a day or two before returning it. Apple store will help you out without proof of purchase, as long as it's within warranty and the serial number isn't flagged for any reason.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Pertplus posted:

They will fix it for free and do it as quickly as they can. It's a piece of electronics so sometimes they don't work 100%. It does suck that you need it for school but dude, what you're experiencing isn't the norm and it will be rectified.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Pertplus posted:

There's a decent chance something has become loose, during your appointment the Genius might just take it out the back, remove the bottom case and tighten it.

From a clunk that heavy I'd say it's either the Magsafe board or if you're super unlucky the glue one of the cells wasn't applied properly.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

They will fix it for free and do it as quickly as they can. It's a piece of electronics so sometimes they don't work 100%. It does suck that you need it for school but dude, what you're experiencing isn't the norm and it will be rectified.

Yeah, I'm sure they'll fix it and it'll be fine. I'm just a little stressed out about unrelated issues so this only added to my stack of things to be annoyed about.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pertplus posted:

Yeah, I'm sure they'll fix it and it'll be fine. I'm just a little stressed out about unrelated issues so this only added to my stack of things to be annoyed about.

If you're really nice and explain your situation they'll probably rush it for you.

Like anyone in customer service, they really do have a desire to make customers happy (especially with Apple where they're pretty likely to be brand evangelists beyond the job requirements) but they put up with a lot of poo poo. Some politeness and appreciation go a long way.

Also my bet is on 'unstuck battery pack,' which should be hella quick.

Also also could you possibly save your work to the cloud/a thumb drive and work from a library or department/lab/office computer at school?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also my bet is on 'unstuck battery pack,' which should be hella quick.

Unfortunately not - it requires a full rebuild of the machine. (not joking)

The cells are glued to the top case, and are not a part they can order, you can only order a top case with batteries, and everything in the machine is then screwed into the top case.

But - all this being said, it's not preventing the machine from functioning - at all. So maybe have your appointment, get it documented, and return it for repair when you have the time.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeast posted:

But - all this being said, it's not preventing the machine from functioning - at all. So maybe have your appointment, get it documented, and return it for repair when you have the time.

Don't do this. I had a macbook pro I bought back in gradschool that shipped with a non-functional camera in it. I was in a similar position - working non stop on school poo poo and the machine was my main way of doing that. Working on school computers wasn't much of an option due to the size of some of the files I was working with. I decided to kick the can down the road.

That camera is still broken. In retrospect I should have just pumped the brakes for a week and let them fix it. At the time it seemed like I couldn't take a long weekend, but in retrospect I really could have.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Yeast posted:

Unfortunately not - it requires a full rebuild of the machine. (not joking)

The cells are glued to the top case, and are not a part they can order, you can only order a top case with batteries, and everything in the machine is then screwed into the top case.

:monocle:

The "take it in and schedule a fix for when you want it" tip is clutch. I did that when the battery failed on my old Air. Got the problem diagnosed, decided that I couldn't afford to lose it for a weekend that day, and scheduled the surgery for a later date.

It's like getting your computer's wisdom teeth out.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Pertplus posted:

I'm in grad school and do all my work on my macbook so I really can't afford to lose it for even a day. Really frustrating to have this problem with a >$2k laptop I just bought specifically to avoid dealing with things not "Just working".

This gives me Apple Store flashbacks. If you go in with that attitude things WILL take longer.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cyrano4747 posted:

At the time it seemed like I couldn't take a long weekend, but in retrospect I really could have.

Yeah, and a lot of the time a professor will be pretty nice/forgiving about computer-related issues, since they've almost certainly had something occur themselves somewhere in their careers.

I remember my final semester in graduate school I had a large semester-long project wrapping up and a day or two before my report was to be turned in the SATA cable in my MBP went bad; I took it into the local AASP to get it serviced under AppleCare and they held onto it for a few days while they got the cable; I simply took the work authorization form into my professor and showed him there was literally nothing I could do (I had backups, but it was my only machine and similarly it wouldn't have been easy to configure the modeling programs I needed on one of the computing lab workstations). He told me just to get it to him as soon as I could.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I don't know about the US, but here in Australia Apple Retail Stores have a 14 day no questions asked return policy.

So you could also walk in, buy a machine, do a data transfer using Thunderbolt, then submit your machine for repair.

Once it's done, just return the machine you've been using at the same time you pickup your now repaired machine. No downtime.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Welp, now my usb ports don't work. And yeah I was considering that Yeast. Appointment in 3 days. I hope it keeps working for that long.

I wonder if they can do a time machine backup there and transfer it onto my usb external since I can't do that directly anymore.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 21, 2015

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

App13 posted:

This gives me Apple Store flashbacks. If you go in with that attitude things WILL take longer.

Yeah I guess it's dumb of me to expect that this computer I just bought should work as advertised. Even dumber to expect that if it doesn't work as advertised I should be able to return it within 2 months of buying it.

But yeah, I won't go in with that "attitude", and I will be as nice as possible. Regardless of how much I feel that I should be able to return a product that doesn't work as advertised, I know that ultimately it's up to them to decide how they want to handle it.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 21, 2015

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I have an old last-gen PowerBook with a busted DVD drive. Is it possible to install Ubuntu Linux onto this via target disk mode? Everything I've seen thus far requires a working DVD drive or a bootable USB drive.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Pertplus posted:

Yeah I guess it's dumb of me to expect that this computer I just bought should work as advertised. Even dumber to expect that if it doesn't work as advertised I should be able to return it within 2 months of buying it.

But yeah, I won't go in with that "attitude", and I will be as nice as possible. Regardless of how much I feel that I should be able to return a product that doesn't work as advertised, I know that ultimately it's up to them to decide how they want to handle it.
Why are you under the impression that you can't return it?

EDIT: Oh you don't have a receipt. Well of course you can't return it idiot.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Why are you under the impression that you can't return it?

EDIT: Oh you don't have a receipt. Well of course you can't return it idiot.

That's not why. I remembered that I bought it using my apple id and then saw this when I tried to return it online.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Pertplus posted:

It seems incredibly misguided to get upset at people trying to help you.