Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Pivo posted:

Hahahah 17. Sweet summer child. I see about 40, it varies.

5GHz is a life-saver, but it gets attenuated so easily! Don't put anything near your antennas! And while I live in a modest 2br condo, people in large houses might find issues with coverage.

40? That would have been a nice improvement where I last lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Kreeblah posted:

40? That would have been a nice improvement where I last lived.

you call your ap "HugeDick" too huh

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
Seems to be short memory here. I remember wifi issues with 10.3, 10.4, 10.5. Minor issues with 802.1x in 10.9. 10.10 is obvious and well documented. Can't speak to 10.6-8 as I didn't own a Mac during that time.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pivo posted:

Hahahah 17. Sweet summer child. I see about 40, it varies.

5GHz is a life-saver, but it gets attenuated so easily! Don't put anything near your antennas! And while I live in a modest 2br condo, people in large houses might find issues with coverage.

Just put in multiple WAPs. I have 3.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Something is still wrong with my mac after changing my HDD to an SDD, I'd like to run the hardware test which I read is started by booting and holding D but that does not work, I get back to the OS like normal?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Le0 posted:

Something is still wrong with my mac after changing my HDD to an SDD, I'd like to run the hardware test which I read is started by booting and holding D but that does not work, I get back to the OS like normal?

Everyone just wants to hold the D....

I assume you've seen this page: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201257

You should *cough* hold the D as soon as you hear the boot chime, but it should work even before - although, you recently changed your hard drive, so does the drive even have a recovery partition where AHT runs from? The docs say it'll boot from Internet if that's the case, but are you plugged into Ethernet? UEFI doesn't know your WiFi password. Or, poo poo, does your machine even have an Ethernet port?

These are things you can examine by yourself if you are tech-savvy, but people at the Apple Store will be glad to help you. Just to be clear, what is "still wrong" with your Mac?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Even though I've been woefully under-instructed, I have, to nobody's greater surprise than mine, so far always held the D correctly. Never once has holding the D not led to the intended result.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Pivo posted:

Everyone just wants to hold the D....

I assume you've seen this page: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201257

You should *cough* hold the D as soon as you hear the boot chime, but it should work even before - although, you recently changed your hard drive, so does the drive even have a recovery partition where AHT runs from? The docs say it'll boot from Internet if that's the case, but are you plugged into Ethernet? UEFI doesn't know your WiFi password. Or, poo poo, does your machine even have an Ethernet port?

These are things you can examine by yourself if you are tech-savvy, but people at the Apple Store will be glad to help you. Just to be clear, what is "still wrong" with your Mac?

:D So I held the alt+D this time and plugged an ethernet cable and it worked. However I did the extended and normal test and no problem was found...
I don't know what is going on :eng99:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Forgive me for not memorizing your past posts and I'll forgive you for not answering my question, but what do you believe is wrong with the machine?

Is it unreasonably slow, are certain hardware elements not working like WiFi BT etc, are you getting kernel panics, is there an issue with the keyboard, trackpad or display?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
oh sorry I did not explain.

A few days ago my mac started having issues booting up. The first time the screen stayed black when I opened it and I had to perform the pram/smc reset procedures then I got the image again. But then it did this a few more times up to a point where I could not start the os anymore, it would stay stuck during loading (apple logo). I then noticed that my HDD was dieing (disk utility was saying smart status failed) so I bought a new SDD and changed it. Re-installed OS and for 1 day I thought everything was working properly and then yesterday while browsing the screen became scrambled and then the computer rebooted. It then got stuck again during loading.

I tried to boot in safe mode and it hang during loading. I then reset the pram and it seemed to help, I managed to get back to the OS.
I executed the hardware test in diagnostic mode, the extended and the normal one, and it found nothing of interest.

So now I'm basically waiting the next time it craps out, I don't have any idea what is going on but it does not seem to be related to my RAM (test would have found something, right?) and the SDD is new so... maybe the GPU?

Edit: Oh to answer your question, the computer is not slow or anything I can notice on the OS, everything works and I have no kernel panics. Just the random reboot and startup weirdness.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Le0 posted:

so... maybe the GPU?

What's the model? There's an extended warranty program for 2011 MBPs because of self-desoldering issues with the dGPU.

It definitely sounds like an issue with your mainboard, which will not be cheap.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I have an early 2011 macbook pro

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It sounds like the GPU issue. Take it in to the Apple Store.

https://www.apple.com/ca/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
My wife has problems with her Magsafe 2 connector on her Macbook Air getting knocked out too easily (it's got some battery problem and dies almost immediately upon being disconnected), is there something that can hold it in more securely?

edit: is something like this a good idea? http://www.amazon.com/NewerTech-Snuglet-Laptops-MagSafe-Connectors/dp/B00KO7EXXY/

edit2: eh what the heck, it's got good reviews, I'm going for it

Cicero fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 25, 2015

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Tremblay posted:

You might be the only person on the planet that has owned a Mac for more than an hour and NOT dealt with poo poo load of network, and wifi issues.

Never.

Bob Morales posted:

Can you get a wireless-c router for < $50 yet?

Get a Unifi AP instead.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cicero posted:

My wife has problems with her Magsafe 2 connector on her Macbook Air getting knocked out too easily (it's got some battery problem and dies almost immediately upon being disconnected), is there something that can hold it in more securely?

edit: is something like this a good idea? http://www.amazon.com/NewerTech-Snuglet-Laptops-MagSafe-Connectors/dp/B00KO7EXXY/

Make sure there's nothing blocking the charging connectors. People have had issues with material being lodged in the connector stopping it from charging, but not from attaching to the machine.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Pivo posted:

It sounds like the GPU issue. Take it in to the Apple Store.

https://www.apple.com/ca/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Okay I will give it a try, but do you think my mac is still eligible for this? Because I bought it like at least 4 years ago I think.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Le0 posted:

Okay I will give it a try, but do you think my mac is still eligible for this? Because I bought it like at least 4 years ago I think.

*sigh* Not to be rude, but could you click the link at least?

quote:

The program covers affected MacBook Pro models until February 27, 2016 or three years from its original date of sale, whichever provides longer coverage for you.

If your MacBook is experiencing graphical corruption, restarts, things of that nature, and is on the affected list, you are currently eligible for a free repair.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I think I know the answer to this, but we'll try anyway.

An iPad at my place of work was handed back by somebody who left a few months ago, but unfortunately she's left it logged in so we can't factory reset it. Thankfully it looks like the email address used is her old company one. We COULD get her email account reopened, and go through a forgot password/reset password etc routine, but apparently this adds lots of layers of bureaucracy to go into her old account etc.

Is there any way we can achieve a reset without doing this, or is that login unbypassable? I've read things about putting the iPad into DFU mode but I didn't think that bypassed any logins still left activated?

Edit: VV I looked around for a mobile-specific thread but nothing jumped out so I figured I'd go for this one.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 26, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Welp an iPad isn't really a Mac but ok. It depends on how new the device is and how far the OS has been updated. I believe you are describing "Activation Lock" - as in, if you try to reset it without having the Apple ID password, it will ask you for a password, if you DO go into DFU mode and force wipe the thing it'll still prompt for that same Apple ID.

Since it's a company device and she used a company email you should just spin up the mailbox and go through the reset procedure. It sounds like 10 minutes of work, to me. Unless you work for some loving bank or some poo poo where IT makes you wait a month to create a piece of crap throw-away mailbox, gl;hf in that case

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

thehustler posted:

Edit: VV I looked around for a mobile-specific thread but nothing jumped out so I figured I'd go for this one.

Sure. The iPhone thread would be more apropos but I'm honestly not as anal as other people about where things go in the Apple threads.

Someone recently had a similar issue with a company iPhone in that thread, except the employee used a personal Apple ID. The consensus was that Apple can reset the activation lock if you have the original purchase receipt, otherwise if you have no proof you actually own the device then you may as well just call it a loss. Since you have access to the Apple ID mailbox, you are in a good position. If it's a company device, you probably also have access to the purchase info for the device.

You could also just call the ex-employee and ask her for her password. A bit unorthodox, but if she left on good terms, why not?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Pivo posted:

*sigh* Not to be rude, but could you click the link at least?

If your MacBook is experiencing graphical corruption, restarts, things of that nature, and is on the affected list, you are currently eligible for a free repair.

Sorry man, I read it but somehow I had trouble understanding this sentence, I thought it was 3 years from date of sale. Reading in french didn't help either.
One last thing and then I'll stop annoying you, but since recently I changed the HDD to brand new SDD, would you adise I remove the new drive and replace the old one before going to the store? Or won't they care about that?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Pivo posted:

Sure. The iPhone thread would be more apropos but I'm honestly not as anal as other people about where things go in the Apple threads.

Someone recently had a similar issue with a company iPhone in that thread, except the employee used a personal Apple ID. The consensus was that Apple can reset the activation lock if you have the original purchase receipt, otherwise if you have no proof you actually own the device then you may as well just call it a loss. Since you have access to the Apple ID mailbox, you are in a good position. If it's a company device, you probably also have access to the purchase info for the device.

You could also just call the ex-employee and ask her for her password. A bit unorthodox, but if she left on good terms, why not?

Sadly the user is uncontactable, and when I've just looked at the iPad now it's been dropped off five minutes ago, I can see it's not logged in with our company account, apparently the user's partner was logged in so it's not a domain/email service we can control.

So I've emailed the person who brought it to say "look for your proof of purchase and call Apple" as I figured that was the only thing that was left to try.

Ah well...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Le0 posted:

Sorry man, I read it but somehow I had trouble understanding this sentence, I thought it was 3 years from date of sale. Reading in french didn't help either.
One last thing and then I'll stop annoying you, but since recently I changed the HDD to brand new SDD, would you adise I remove the new drive and replace the old one before going to the store? Or won't they care about that?

In French? I know the link was a Canadian URL but it renders in English for me... You should learn French anyway, chicks dig it.

Anyhow, I had an OptiBay in my 2011 17" and non-factory RAM and they gave zero shits. Switching out user-replaceable parts does not void your warranty, unless you are attempting to get warranty coverage on the non-OEM parts. To be honest it's probably better that you have a drive in there that's not failing SMART, or I could see a tech trying to suggest that the drive is the issue.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Keep the old drive in it. The test we use doesn't care about the drive. Also tell them you have a ssd in there so when smart fails they know it's because of the drive.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Keep the old drive in it. The test we use doesn't care about the drive. Also tell them you have a ssd in there so when smart fails they know it's because of the drive.

I'm confused, the old drive is the one failing the smart status and not the SSD? I guess you ment keep the new drive in it?
Anyway thanks a lot for the support guys, I'm sorry for being a pain in the rear end

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Le0 posted:

Anyway thanks a lot for the support guys, I'm sorry for being a pain in the rear end

You're really not. :)

But yeah, just let them know you have a swapped SSD and everything should be fine.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Le0 posted:

I'm confused, the old drive is the one failing the smart status and not the SSD? I guess you ment keep the new drive in it?

Sorry yeah. Keep the ssd in it. And you're not being a pain.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Le0 posted:

I'm sorry for being a pain in the rear end

It was just pivo pivo'ing, ignore it. He even managed to pivo it up again when you explained why you were confused about whether your computer qualified.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BobHoward posted:

It was just pivo pivo'ing, ignore it. He even managed to pivo it up again when you explained why you were confused about whether your computer qualified.

What, I never called the guy a pain in the rear end or anything. I just was like "ugh read the link" because the info was there and I was momentarily annoyed, but I think I helped the guy. He's gonna get a new mainboard for free now most likely. Where were *you*? :P

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BobHoward posted:

I thought Pivo was fine.

Pivo posted:

What, I never called the guy a pain in the rear end or anything. I just was like "ugh read the link" because the info was there and I was momentarily annoyed, but I think I helped the guy. He's gonna get a new mainboard for free now most likely. Where were *you*? :P

Pivo, you were fine.

I think we were all just so taken aback by the politeness.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yesterday, OWC announced a new dual drive dock that has two Thunderbolt 2 ports and one USB 3.0 port.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other+World+Computing/TB2U3DKR2/

They want $250 for it. Each dock slot has its own power switch and will accept a 3.5" or 2.5" SATA drive.

Bootable with OS X 10.10 or later.

Also, in Retina MacBook news, it is reported that USB-C cables are not all created equal. Some Google engineer tested several cables available on Amazon with their Chromebook using some ChromeOS-only utilities, and recommended several cables out of a whole bunch to use.

http://www.legitreviews.com/not-all-usb-type-c-cables-are-the-same-proves-google-engineer_175040

Article is loving old because the Google guy has tested more cables since the article came out two weeks ago and now approves of at least five more makes on his Amazon page here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A25GROL6KJV3QG/

Caveat is that some of the makers said 'Oh poo poo someone is narcing out our cables to the peeps!' and fixed their cables, but old stock of cables supposedly fixed are still out there for some makes.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 27, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Has anyone had issues with the current generation Airport Extreme DNS server not working right? All of my poo poo is dead unless I use the Google DNS manually on my machines/phones.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
My mom has a two year old Mac Mini that she claims is starting to act up. I was playing around in Chrome / Safari on her computer last night and I noticed that when you try to move the window around it starts to flicker. Also, some of the images on the browser starts flickering even when the mouse is not being touched. Could this be a hardware issue? She still has one year left on her AppleCare warranty.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do i buy a MacBook Air (13", 8GB, min 256 GB SSD) today or do I want until Monday or do I just buy a refurb unit?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Yesterday, OWC announced a new dual drive dock that has two Thunderbolt 2 ports and one USB 3.0 port.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other+World+Computing/TB2U3DKR2/

They want $250 for it. Each dock slot has its own power switch and will accept a 3.5" or 2.5" SATA drive.

Bootable with OS X 10.10 or later.

What an odd product, seems unlikely there are many people out there willing to pony up +$200 over a plain USB3 drive dock. USB3 is plenty fast for typical dock usage (copying data off a drive pulled from a dead system, installing an OS to a drive before installing the drive in another system, etc).

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

We have a few of the usb3 versions of that dock in the shop, and they're fantastic. I would like the thunderbolt model for those older Macs that have thunderbolt but not USB3.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

^^ Oh right, there's a lot of Macs out there with only thunderbolt. I should know this, I used to use a 2011 Air.

$200 is a pretty awful tax IMO. When Thunderbolt started out it seemed like maybe it would be a good thing that Intel owned the spec and would be pushing it into the PC world, but they have been doofuses and kept most of the silicon proprietary and expensive and therefore the tax is worse than Firewire's ever was. Hopefully TB3 changes that.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

My Apple Cinema Display makes this weird 'field of crickets' noise, and it's much louder when my 13" rMBP is plugged in to the power cord. Weird as gently caress but apparently common according to Google.

That's the power supply, I've seen it with thunderbolt displays and one I've even seen damage the MBA that was plugged into it, charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal

Cicero posted:

Yes - I can't recommend the Snuglet enough. It's way too easy to knock the Magsafe 2 connector out of the socket when using the MBA (and MBP) on your lap. The Snuglet completely solves this and doesn't get in the way of still allowing the cord to disconnect when someone trips on it.