Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I.... Wait what's going on here???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Will everything connect physically? Yes. Let's just believe that was the point of the exercise. Great job.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This is the kinda stuff that actually works with analog audio signals (I remember running my PS3 through about four different cables and an amp back in the day just so I could get headphones on it) but lmao at running a 2k 60hz signal through USB/

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This is the kinda stuff that actually works with analog audio signals (I remember running my PS3 through about four different cables and an amp back in the day just so I could get headphones on it) but lmao at running a 2k 60hz signal through USB/

Forgetting the original topic of things which :morbo: DO NOT WORK THAT WAY :morbo:, actually, you might be surprised. I've seen people run 2K monitors off those USB2 docking stations and they do fine for general purpose desktop use (text editing, browsing, etc). USB3 docks exist now and should be better yet. The chips in the docks use some kind of VNC-like compression where the computer doesn't try to refresh the entire frame buffer in the USB video device, only the parts which have changed, so they do pretty good. Unless you're trying to do fullscreen FMV or games or whatever, then it will suck.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

MrChupon posted:

Anyone think they might bump the top end gently caress-off rMBP to 2TB or more?

God I hope so. I have a two year old MBP with 1TB and it's a tight fit. (I too am burdened with VMs.) Or maybe OWC will get off their butts and grace us with an aftermarket part . But for now they're still stuck in 2013.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

BobHoward posted:

The chips in the docks use some kind of VNC-like compression where the computer doesn't try to refresh the entire frame buffer in the USB video device, only the parts which have changed, so they do pretty good. Unless you're trying to do fullscreen FMV or games or whatever, then it will suck.

They're all software-emulated display adapters that have to do everything via CPU, then send - ideally - diffs to the framebuffer over USB. So you have a slow adapter (CPU) and really slow transfer times (USB). The USB3 ones work better but the real deal would be proper eGPU support via Thunderbolt, or even PCI-over-USB3.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hell that diagram would actually work (...for network traffic) if there's another computer hooked up to the TB Display.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Thanks for the advice. New SSD working perfectly, much much quicker to boot. Thanks!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

Screen on my friend's Mac Book Pro freaking out. Have you guys seen this before, and if so, is her screen just going bad? I'm pretty sure she dropped it and won't fess up to it. Applecare won't fix it because they think she broke it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSSwXlvYOpQ

15 inch? Any signs of visible damage? Did they check for liquid? Give me more info.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Hi Jinx posted:

They're all software-emulated display adapters that have to do everything via CPU, then send - ideally - diffs to the framebuffer over USB. So you have a slow adapter (CPU) and really slow transfer times (USB).

Have you ever tried one? Even the USB2 ones work surprisingly well in practice unless, like I said, you need to run software that changes too many pixels per second.

japtor posted:

Hell that diagram would actually work (...for network traffic) if there's another computer hooked up to the TB Display.

If there's a computer attached you can screen share (=vnc) to use the TB display as an external monitor for the Macbook. Holy poo poo it actually works

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

15 inch? Any signs of visible damage? Did they check for liquid? Give me more info.

Copy that, asking now. Thanks man.

Response

quote:

15 inch
Tiny crack in the screen in lower left from closing the screen on something small. But I had problems with what seemed like the video card before that. And this issue comes and goes but started way after the crack.

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 13, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

Copy that, asking now. Thanks man.

Response

Apple hopefully ran VST on the notebook. That will tell them if it's under the quality program.

They might have taken the crack as the cause, but if it was me I would run VST and if it failed it's a logic board replacement regardless of physical damage on the screen.

Can she paste the notes given to her during the appointment?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

MrChupon posted:

Anyone think they might bump the top end gently caress-off rMBP to 2TB or more?

Lately I've found myself in need of a lot of disk space as my job revolves around a lot of VM snapshots that are much more convenient when stored locally. I've been shuffling around on a 512GB rMBP from a couple years ago, but I think that would get me to upgrade. I'm a bit paranoid that Apple is going to go the route of the iPhones and rarely increase storage under the premise that 'everything is in the cloud these days' or something like that.

You are an edge case tbh

Get an external drive over thunderbolt or USB 3

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Malcolm XML posted:

You are an edge case tbh

Get an external drive over thunderbolt or USB 3

I use a Samsung T-1 drive for my VMs and snapshots. I really haven't noticed much difference in VM performance than if they were on the system drive.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Luceo posted:

I have a mid-2012 non-retina MBP, and the battery is swelling, which I've verified visually. Capacity is still good, but the swelling has actually pushed the touchpad up a bit and made it so that the bottom rocks on a level surface.

I know Apple will do OOW battery replacements for a fee, which is fine as long as its reasonable, but is this a part I could expect the fruit stand to have in stock? I'm not willing to leave my laptop there since it's an hour drive and it's just a battery replacement. Failing that, is there a reputable vendor to get a replacement from?

Jesus H. Christ. Went down to the fruit stand and they quoted me 3-5 days to do a 15 minute battery swap with a part they have in stock. Utterly unacceptable and just pathetic.

Anyone have a recommendation for an online vendor?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Luceo posted:

Jesus H. Christ. Went down to the fruit stand and they quoted me 3-5 days to do a 15 minute battery swap with a part they have in stock. Utterly unacceptable and just pathetic.

Anyone have a recommendation for an online vendor?

So you wanted them to ignore all of the people who'd already done online reservations or come in before you, and work on your system?

And how is an online vendor going to get it to you in such time that their questionable battery will be installed before 3 - 5 days anyway?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

SourKraut posted:

So you wanted them to ignore all of the people who'd already done online reservations or come in before you, and work on your system?

And how is an online vendor going to get it to you in such time that their questionable battery will be installed before 3 - 5 days anyway?

It's a 15 minute job. And I'm amazed that I actually have to explain why a 3-5 day turnaround is a problem, but I'd be without my laptop for that period of time, for such a trivial install, and of course Apple won't sell me the part directly because Apple.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, some apple stores just have horrible turnaround times.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Luceo posted:

It's a 15 minute job. And I'm amazed that I actually have to explain why a 3-5 day turnaround is a problem, but I'd be without my laptop for that period of time, for such a trivial install, and of course Apple won't sell me the part directly because Apple.

They usually do actual repair/work much faster. They give a longer quote to cover their rear end just in case. Also there are other repairs ahead of you.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

They usually do actual repair/work much faster. They give a longer quote to cover their rear end just in case. Also there are other repairs ahead of you.

Don't give a poo poo what's ahead of me. They obviously are grossly understaffed in the back if they can't get rid of such an easy job quickly. Boy howdy they fixed my wife's iPhone 6 camera not-recall in 30 minutes flat, though. I'm guessing they have different folks working on phones vs. computers.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Luceo posted:

On one hand I sympathize, but I did computer hardware support/repair while going through college, and we were constantly slammed where the most simple of swaps/upgrades/etc. would go to the back of the line or until some slow down period hours later, and we'd get in trouble if we did put someone's work on hold to work on some simple task. But when we'd be waiting on diagnostics to finish or such, we would install system memory, batteries, etc.

I do wish they'd sell the batteries separately though as the replacement on my 2011 MBP took about 2 1/2 hours from when I dropped it off, and that was with the Genius appointment.

Edit-

Luceo posted:

Don't give a poo poo what's ahead of me.
While they probably are understaffed, I think the above is at the heart of it all, "gently caress you got mine" and whatnot.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 14, 2016

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

SourKraut posted:

I do wish they'd sell the batteries separately though as the replacement on my 2011 MBP took about 2 1/2 hours from when I dropped it off, and that was with the Genius appointment.

I had an appointment, and even called in advance to verify that they had the part in stock, since the fruit stand is an hour drive.

SourKraut posted:

While they probably are understaffed, I think the above is at the heart of it all, "gently caress you got mine" and whatnot.

No, you're a loving tool for defending the ridiculous notion of keeping someone's laptop for 3-5 days to swap a loving battery. I pay for a premium product and that level of lovely service is unacceptable. Let me just drop my car off for an oil change and lose it for a week.

It's not gently caress you got mine, it's I expect them to be able to provide this level of service being a premium seller, so maybe they need to hire some more people.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Working at the Genius Bar sucks because of people like you.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Working at the Genius Bar sucks because of people like you.

The gently caress are you on about? I was nothing but polite to the employees, even the manager I complained to, because I knew they were hamstrung by idiotic corporate decree.

People like me? People with the completely reasonable expectation that it doesn't take 3-5 days to swap a loving battery? This is somehow acceptable to you?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If they really had their poo poo together you would be able to make an appointment to drop the computer off in the morning and get it in the afternoon in the worst case. One of my favorite repair experiences was waiting 10 days so an Apple Store in SF could let me know I wasn't covered under AppleCare.

You don't have to act lovely toward the men and women running the operation day to day to know that it could be much better.

At the same time if your work is essential you should have a backup machine available that you could work on if only temporarily, for your own sake.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

If they really had their poo poo together you would be able to make an appointment to drop the computer off in the morning and get it in the afternoon in the worst case. One of my favorite repair experiences was waiting 10 days so an Apple Store in SF could let me know I wasn't covered under AppleCare.

You don't have to act lovely toward the men and women running the operation day to day to know that it could be much better.

At the same time if your work is essential you should have a backup machine available that you could work on if only temporarily, for your own sake.

As I said, I was only polite to the employees at the store. Mu Zeta said it's lovely working at the genius bar, but I imagine that's because they don't have the staff to provide actual good service even if they want to.

As for whether or not I have a backup machine, that's not really relevant. The issue to me was the trivial nature of the job and their inability to do it within a reasonable time. Sell me the goddamn battery if you can't find a few minutes in the next few hours to put it in for me.

edit: Do they have people who only work on phones and not computers? Because my wife's iPhone 6 camera not-recall was done in under 30 minutes. Or do those not-recalls get priority somehow?

Luceo fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 14, 2016

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I took my MacBook12 in a few weeks ago because it works fine but has developed a clunking rattle when you tip it from side to side (someone in this thread had the same issue a while back with a rMBP, even posted a video) and they said 7-10 days to open it up, look for what's moving and stick it down again. I get that they have queues etc, but it does feel a bit unreasonable to leave you without your computer for so long for something so trivial - it'd be great if they could schedule it and then say "drop it in next Wednesday morning and we'll do it sometime that day" rather than my computer sitting there untouched for 6 days or whatever. On the other hand I get what SourKraut says about fitting these smaller jobs in around chunkier tasks. I've just scheduled another appointment for this week so I can leave it with them while I'm on holiday.

However:

Luceo posted:

I was nothing but polite to the employees

Luceo posted:

Utterly unacceptable and just pathetic.
Don't give a poo poo what's ahead of me.
No, you're a loving tool
lovely service is unacceptable

:munch:

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
What's the general school of thought on preferred brands of external hard drives these days? Last time I had to think about this, everything was pretty much the same - everyone has a story about brand X failing on them, and they're all pretty much the same. For example, I've had two Seagate drives take a poo poo on me. I switched to Lacie and things have been fine. But my brother just had his Lacie drive die and was asking me for recommendations. So has anything changed from years ago? SSD drives are still too pricey; WD drives seem to get the highest ratings on Amazon and Newegg, and the biggest Mac Jedi I know sticks to WD. What say you, goons?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wait, why should people ahead of him affect how long the fix for his issue takes? Does Apple not have the concept of future service appointments like a car mechanic?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Luceo posted:

The gently caress are you on about? I was nothing but polite to the employees, even the manager I complained to, because I knew they were hamstrung by idiotic corporate decree.

People like me? People with the completely reasonable expectation that it doesn't take 3-5 days to swap a loving battery? This is somehow acceptable to you?

i started off reading your posts thinking that yeah 3 days is a bit long for a battery swap, but you're doing a good job at convincing me of the opposite. take your loving meds.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Argali posted:

What's the general school of thought on preferred brands of external hard drives these days? Last time I had to think about this, everything was pretty much the same - everyone has a story about brand X failing on them, and they're all pretty much the same. For example, I've had two Seagate drives take a poo poo on me. I switched to Lacie and things have been fine. But my brother just had his Lacie drive die and was asking me for recommendations. So has anything changed from years ago? SSD drives are still too pricey; WD drives seem to get the highest ratings on Amazon and Newegg, and the biggest Mac Jedi I know sticks to WD. What say you, goons?

Yeah, they're all pretty much the same. Just grab something that's on sale from the major 4 vendors (WD/Seagate/Hitachi/Toshiba).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Froist posted:

On the other hand I get what SourKraut says about fitting these smaller jobs in around chunkier tasks. I've just scheduled another appointment for this week so I can leave it with them while I'm on holiday.

The service/repair center I worked at was actually at (and run by) a university and we were an AASP and Dell-certified location, and we had to service systems from students (regardless of if they'd bought it at the campus computer store, former students (who had purchased their system from the store and obtained repair options in perpetuity at our location), faculty's personal systems, etc. So we'd see every type of personality and response as well as excuse. One of my personal favorite stories was a guy who actually did have his "class critical documents" on a flash drive, saying if we didn't fix his system, he'd fail his class since he couldn't finish writing a report and needed his laptop to do so. The common school computing center was literally right outside the repair center in the same building, and had something like 400+ PC workstations and 200+ Macs, with Citrix installed so they could virtually access essentially any class-required software from any machine.

My other favorite story was a girl who brought in some piece of poo poo Acer laptop where the hard drive had died (probably because it had been dropped one too many times judging by the amount of material missing at the corners), but she was throwing Acer under a bus (not necessarily the worst idea) the whole time. I remember opening the screen and seeing a permanent imprint of the keyboard on the screen, which she also complained about happening. A little gentle prodding of questions revealed she regularly stacked several books on top of it when at the library or class and transporting it around.

Froist posted:

On the other hand I get what SourKraut says about fitting these smaller jobs in around chunkier tasks. I've just scheduled another appointment for this week so I can leave it with them while I'm on holiday.

Generic Monk posted:

i started off reading your posts thinking that yeah 3 days is a bit long for a battery swap, but you're doing a good job at convincing me of the opposite. take your loving meds.

Yeah, I'm finding it a little hard to believe there was complete politeness/etc., especially once hearing the 3 - 5 days wait for it to be serviced. We'd sometimes have people come in who hadn't backed up, were clearly very distraught, but who were genuinely nice and non-demanding about asking if they could get help as soon as possible, and we'd often try to sneak them in in-between other work because they had been so genuinely nice or distraught over what they might have lost. A lot of times it was hard drive-related so we had to do data recovery and took longer than a battery swap, but it shouldn't surprise anyone that being a nice person regardless of the response you get, and not turning into a giant rear end in a top hat when not getting the response you want, can surprisingly go a long way turns work being squeezed in.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Luceo posted:

I had an appointment, and even called in advance to verify that they had the part in stock, since the fruit stand is an hour drive.

Was this at the Apple Store in Short Pump?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Argali posted:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Argali posted:

don't buy seagate, don't buy 3tb drives. aside from that you should be more or less ok

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Luceo posted:

edit: Do they have people who only work on phones and not computers? Because my wife's iPhone 6 camera not-recall was done in under 30 minutes. Or do those not-recalls get priority somehow?

At my store they have a genius that is assigned to iPhone repair all day and a couple assigned to macs, yeah. That could be why they did it so fast, especially if your store is Mac appointment heavy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

That graph is misleading. It doesn't show how terrible the non-4TB Seagate drives are

Also it only takes in to account 3.5" hard drives.

As far as my personal experience:

I don't know if WD just makes lovely enclosures but almost every loving 3.5" MyBook I have ran into dies. And you can almost always directly connect the drive to another generic enclosure or computer and it will work to get your data off.

I personally go with 2.5" external drives from Toshiba or Hitachi. Sure, they only got up to 2TB but they just seem much more durable, the drive and the enclosure. Plus you don't need an external power supply, and they're very small. I haven't had one of these fail yet.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

Bob Morales posted:

I personally go with 2.5" external drives from Toshiba or Hitachi. Sure, they only got up to 2TB but they just seem much more durable, the drive and the enclosure. Plus you don't need an external power supply, and they're very small. I haven't had one of these fail yet.

You can now get them in 3TB from WD in their Passport line. I have a couple of 2TB drives that have been working well. Not having a power supply is awesome if you travel with them. I don't know if the general 3TB=crap trend translates to 2.5" drives, but I'd give them a shot. If it's an encrypted external backup drive, returning it should be easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I've bought something like 18 2TB 3.5" drives over the last four or five years - a bunch of them went in my WHS 1.0 box, and the rest populate my triple and quad-boot machines.

gently caress WD green drives, I think every single one has either died outright or has a bunch of bad sectors and is relegated to last-ditch backup duty. No matter what I do with them - external enclosure, gentle home-fileserver duty, boot drive for a rarely-used OS, they crap out just past the warranty period.
(Most MyBook 3.5 2TB externals use Green drives)

WD blacks are hot and more expensive, but they last forever.

Seagate 2TB drives were terrible several years ago, but the newer ones have been pretty reliable.

Had the best results with Toshiba drives, cheaper than WD Blacks and just as reliable. Even the ones I had to shuck out of Canvio external enclosures out of desperation have held up well.

This is completely andecotal and pretty unscientific, I'm not pretending to be Backblaze, but I did learn to stay the gently caress away from those drat green drives, even though they're cheap and available at Target in the middle of the night when I'm desperate.