Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

I doubt the OLED Bar is realistic and it goes against Apples entire design philosophy of minimalism.

Yeah I'm no ~*industry insider*~ but it seems ridiculous on its face and I'm surprised to see it taken seriously. Maybe the next MBP will be a convertible touchscreen laptop with a 360-degree hinge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Weedle posted:

Yeah I'm no ~*industry insider*~ but it seems ridiculous on its face and I'm surprised to see it taken seriously. Maybe the next MBP will be a convertible touchscreen laptop with a 360-degree hinge!

It's taken seriously because there's 2.5 weeks until new laptops so there's no news right now.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if that Airport update fixes AirPlay on the Airport Express.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Weedle posted:

Gotta get hits on the blog though!

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

computer parts posted:

It's taken seriously because there's 2.5 weeks until new laptops so there's no news right now.

How often has new hardware been announced at WWDC though? There was the nMP in 2012, but generally it's purely software focused.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

binarysmurf posted:

How often has new hardware been announced at WWDC though? There was the nMP in 2012, but generally it's purely software focused.

Mac Pro in 2013, MBA/MBP/rMBP in 2012.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Does the Mac Pro even truly count tho? It was a video preview of a release that didn't actually happen until like 8 months later.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

abraham linksys posted:

Ah, right. I didn't even know there was a 3.1.

I don't suppose there's a way to get audio out of that port to like a 3.5mm adapter, is there? I assume the HDMI adapter carries audio but my monitor doesn't have a speaker port or anything. I know there's a 3.5mm port on the thing but I just figure I might as well try to plug in/unplug as few cables as possible.

Mmk. I do web dev and occasionally dabble in game dev and my MBA is okay 99% of the time but occasionally chugs on a build or something. Though that may just be because it's swapping a bunch, right now I'm working on something and the lil "memory pressure" graph in the Activity Monitor is a solid yellow :(

Does your monitor have a 3.5mm jack on it? If so, you'll be able to hook your speakers through there and use the sound from an HDMI adapter.

Tab8715 posted:

I doubt the OLED Bar is realistic and it goes against Apples entire design philosophy of minimalism.

Generally I agree with you, but I feel reasonably confident that if anyone could make it not look like garbage, it's Apple.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

mediaphage posted:

Does your monitor have a 3.5mm jack on it? If so, you'll be able to hook your speakers through there and use the sound from an HDMI adapter.

But watch out for audio delay!

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Does the Mac Pro even truly count tho? It was a video preview of a release that didn't actually happen until like 8 months later.

I mean if the oled/redesign stuff is true, I wouldn't put it past them to announce and then ship later this year.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My girlfriend received her refurb March 2015 MBP yesterday and it didn't come in the unmarked brown box like my July 2014 did.

Did Apple change the packaging on the refurbs or did she get a new computer?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

IIRC if there's a standing order but they run out of refurbs they do ship one new-in-box?
Don't quote me on that, that's something I THINK I read a while back.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Refurb items also includes clearance and overstock stuff too so it's a possibility.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I don't think that the brown box I received was shrink wrapped, but she's saying that the white sleeve on it did say Mac Refurbished.

I guess they just changed up their packaging.

Weird.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

The refurb MBA I just got was in a shrink-wrapped white box. Indistinguishable from new.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I've bought a MacBook Air and both the old 802.11n Airport Extreme and the new 'tower' 802.11g AEBS and they all were shipped in plain white boxes.

The boxes were the same size as what you'd get if you walked into a B&M fruit stand, just no fancy printing on them, just the description inside a white square.

I think this is done to satisfy some law that requires you to make a distinction between straight-from-the-factory merchandise and reconditioned/refurbished/returned/resold merchandise.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

the new 'tower' 802.11g AEBS

You mean the dual-radio 802.11ac AEBS. I don't think the tower ones ever shipped as just g, only n and ac (although of course they are g compatible)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pivo posted:

You mean the dual-radio 802.11ac AEBS. I don't think the tower ones ever shipped as just g, only n and ac (although of course they are g compatible)

Pretty sure the tower was only introduced with AC. The n is a flat box.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Viper_3000 posted:

Mac Pro in 2013, MBA/MBP/rMBP in 2012.

There were 11 and 13 inch MBAs introduced at WWDC in 2013.

Tab8715 posted:

No, I'm sure it'll look like those fugly PC keyboards from 10 years ago. Actually, I'm not too worried either way. Either it's a false rumor anyway, or it'll have some consideration behind it.

abraham linksys posted:

Mmk. I do web dev and occasionally dabble in game dev and my MBA is okay 99% of the time but occasionally chugs on a build or something. Though that may just be because it's swapping a bunch, right now I'm working on something and the lil "memory pressure" graph in the Activity Monitor is a solid yellow :(

Unless you're developing and testing the next version of DOOM or something, I wouldn't worry too much about performance on the MacBook considering you're coming from and MBA.

Also, while I have no idea how controversial that opinion is here, I really like the keyboard for its precision and feedback. Yes I know that :marc:o Arment was :spergin: about how bad it is for an hour on his toxic podcast. gently caress him.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

mediaphage posted:

Pretty sure the tower was only introduced with AC. The n is a flat box.

You might be right. Probably are. Who can even keep track these days? :P

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

flavor posted:

Unless you're developing and testing the next version of DOOM or something, I wouldn't worry too much about performance on the MacBook considering you're coming from and MBA.

Also, while I have no idea how controversial that opinion is here, I really like the keyboard for its precision and feedback. Yes I know that :marc:o Arment was :spergin: about how bad it is for an hour on his toxic podcast. gently caress him.

Same here. I'm amazed at how well the m5 macbook does in situations it really shouldn't. RDP'd to my desktop at work while running a VM? sure!

I also like they keyboard and trackpad and I'm a guy who brought his own mechanical keyboard to work.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Every time I try out the keyboard at the Apple store it makes me wish my MBP had it. The old keyboards really do feel mushy in comparison.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are you talking about the 12" Retina keyboard? That thing is garbage.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Mu Zeta posted:

incorrect. It's real good.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
The keyboard on my brand new 12" macbook is dope as gently caress.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

It's incredible. Especially for long documents.

I'm still doing work one day on rMB and one day on rMBP for comparison, and the rMBP mushy keyboard is driving me insane now that I've acclimated to the rMB keyboard. I think I'm done and ready to box it up and send the rMBP to my parents.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I type just fine on the bluetooth keyboard that came with my 2012 iMac and my 2013 Macbook AIr. On the new 12" Retina I went to a typing test site and it looked like I had Parkinson's syndrome. It's truly a vile keyboard but it's probably the best you can do with a laptop that thin.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ITT: a bunch of dorks declare a laptop keyboard they used for 38 seconds on an online typing website to be "hot garbage"

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

rear end Catchcum posted:

The keyboard on my brand new 12" macbook is dope as gently caress.

I don't understand why Apple just won't the use same keys in the keyboard that comes with the Desktop iMac. The previous generation aluminum keyboard was excellent and replacement feel like you're typing on cheap plastic.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Tab8715 posted:

I don't understand why Apple just won't the use same keys in the keyboard that comes with the Desktop iMac. The previous generation aluminum keyboard was excellent and replacement feel like you're typing on cheap plastic.

Isn't the lack of depth pretty obvious?

I need to try the new switches on the new desktop revision. The switch itself seems fine but the lack of depth is somewhat disorienting. It's not a deal breaker as I got used to it but I'm sure it would feel nicer with more travel.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I thought the problem with the MB keyboard is that it's literally smaller than a regular sized keyboard. Like the spacing and keys are physically smaller which makes it really weird.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought the problem with the MB keyboard is that it's literally smaller than a regular sized keyboard. Like the spacing and keys are physically smaller which makes it really weird.

Then you thought wrong. The last (and only?) time they tried a keyboard with a smaller than normal key pitch was the PowerBook 2400c.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

How does the new wireless keyboard compare to the rMB? I love the former but haven't tried the latter beyond playing around in the store. I used my SO's last gen model wireless kb and it feels so gross in comparison (and I know I liked it before).

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is the opposite of reality… There's a whole marketing page about how the keys are bigger and the keyboard is the same size.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I don't mind the MB keyboard. I like the rMBP keyboard more. I like my mechanical with cherry clears more.

Sorry

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/05/27/airport-extreme-time-capsule-pulled-from-us-apple-stores-

Wonder if this has anything to do with Broadcom selling off their WiFi technology to Cypress, as both AEBS and Time Capsule have been mainly Broadcom based.. maybe new AEBS for WWDC?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you look at the original Mac Rumors story there's an update about it probably being something about new FCC regulations.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

japtor posted:

If you look at the original Mac Rumors story there's an update about it probably being something about new FCC regulations.

I personally find that to be rather unlikely as AFAIK the fcc regulations deal with soft-modding your router to transmit in prohibited bands. I don't think you could ever do that with apple routers.

It's been 3 years since the last refresh, and now there's been stuff like MIMO AC though I don't think any current gen Mac is capable of that right?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, I'm still betting that Apple has to jump ship to Atheros or RealTek and then spend a revision trying to rewrite reliable drivers. Lucky RealTek already has El Capitan drivers for a significant number of its chipsets, dunno about Atheros.

But I seem to remember a lot more wifi issues back when Apple used both Broadcom and Atheros then they quieted down when Apple decided to stick to just one vendor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

japtor posted:

It's absolutely about FCC regs. It's not necessary new (the regs came down in 2014), but it becomes mandatory on all new equipment on June 2, 2016. It also requires all manufacturers to be re-certified.

It's basically closing a loophole in the 5GHz band legislation that could allow manufactured devices to be modified to allow communication in a restricted DFS band.

MrBond posted:

I personally find that to be rather unlikely as AFAIK the fcc regulations deal with soft-modding your router to transmit in prohibited bands. I don't think you could ever do that with apple routers.
It doesn't matter how easy/hard it is. All newly manufactured devices have to have this new certification.

MrBond posted:

It's been 3 years since the last refresh, and now there's been stuff like MIMO AC though I don't think any current gen Mac is capable of that right?
MIMO has been a thing since 802.11n, and Apple Airport extreme has supported it since 2009 (3rd gen). Later that year, 4th gen, moved to 3x3:3 arrays . You may be thinking about beamforming? The AP Extremes can do three spatial streams and the adapters in their laptops can support two spatial streams (2x2 array).

Right now I'm across the house and getting 703Mbps on my AC connection. I can only get that using two 40MHz channels and 2 spatial streams. My gaming computer (also across the house), has a 3x3 client adapter and I get close to 1Gbps on that. Granted not the theoretical max, but taking into account environmental and distance attenuation, that's pretty decent performance.