Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Snowmankilla posted:

So this may need to go in the hardware thread, but I figured its worth a try. I bit the bullet and got my rMBP. Trying to learn Mac from Windows. I would like for the computer to just come on when I open it up. Is that an option? Or do I have to enter a password every time (even if that password is blank)?

Have fun! I just went full-on OS X a few years ago, having used mostly Windows for about 20 years. The transition was relatively painless, and to my surprise, I've quit using Windows and actually quite prefer OS X. I just spent the first few days following Apple's "Mac basics" web manual to get up to speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Binary Badger posted:

Yep, works great, allows you to use the xx30 Xeons, you can use faster SDRAMs (PC3-10600 instead of PC3-8500,) if you have an 8/12 core it gains the ability to address 64 GB instead of 48 max.

And as said earlier, you should be able to install the beta of macOS Sierra on it as well (About this Mac will still show Early 2009 as the model name though as there's probably some register or gestalt mechanism it uses that doesn't look at the firmware.)

Not that it matters, but Apple literally didn't even bother to update the model number, it's A1289 for both 4,1 and 5,1.

Netkas's flasher will also flash your flashed 5,1 back to 4,1 if you really want to, although apart from maybe some esoteric video grab/sampling hardware, this condition doesn't exist for anything.
Thanks again for all of the assistance/input! I ended up picking up a reasonably-priced X5690 off of eBay to replace the W3520 with and an OWC Accelsior S that I used with a Samsung 850 Pro I had spare, and the machine is going along nicely (I flashed it to a 5.1 before installing the X5690). Now I just have to figure out a slight oddity I've noticed since switching to the 850 Pro (the load screen briefly disappears 2/3rds the way through loading, then re-appears and immediately finishes loading and lets me login), as well as what video card I still want to use to replace the Apple-sold Radeon 4870 the system came with.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So I cannot figure out how basic fire structure works on OS X. The 2 things I am trying to do that I cannot are 1) Use a microsd card to make a time machine back up. I would like to not back up the 20 gigs of games files, but I cannot find the library folder where they are installed to have it exclude. 2) I would like to paste my music library in the base library folder. Again, I cannot find it to copy the music over too.

This computer is making me feel super dumb.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
1. The MicroSD card needs to be formatted as HFS+ and even then there may be a restriction against using it as a TM volume. Depending on what card it is you may have formatting restrictions (e.g. SDXC cards are required to use exFAT).

2. Games files? Could you elaborate a bit more?

3. Don't put your music in the /Username/LIbrary/ folder, that's not what it's for. If you can't get to the library, go to the finder, hold down the option key, go to the Go menu and Library should now show up. They hide it by default. Still I would recommend you do not put it in there and leave it in your /Username/ folder instead.

Alternatively you can hit cmd-shift-g and type ~/Library to open the library folder.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

lord funk posted:

And holy poo poo three years without a bump. I mean come on.

Before I would "holy poo poo" something, I'd check if it has actually been three years, which it hasn't by any measure. They became buyable (save for 20 or so they sold on December 30 of 2013) in February of 2014. Hardly what I'd call three years.

Whats three years old is the announcement at the 2013 WWDC, but they wouldn't announce a bump, they'd just do it.

Snowmankilla posted:

So I cannot figure out how basic fire structure works on OS X.

Just as on any other OS, a blowtorch held to the motherboard long enough would probably work.

Snowmankilla posted:

The 2 things I am trying to do that I cannot are 1) Use a microsd card to make a time machine back up. I would like to not back up the 20 gigs of games files, but I cannot find the library folder where they are installed to have it exclude. 2) I would like to paste my music library in the base library folder. Again, I cannot find it to copy the music over too.

This computer is making me feel super dumb.

I'd recommend to leave the file system structure alone, particularly as a beginner. Also, honestly and for Pete's sake, don't mess with MicroSD cards, buy an external HD or Time Capsule that'll comfortably back up your whole hard disk while you're young.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

kefkafloyd posted:

1. The MicroSD card needs to be formatted as HFS+ and even then there may be a restriction against using it as a TM volume. Depending on what card it is you may have formatting restrictions (e.g. SDXC cards are required to use exFAT).

2. Games files? Could you elaborate a bit more?

3. Don't put your music in the /Username/LIbrary/ folder, that's not what it's for. If you can't get to the library, go to the finder, hold down the option key, go to the Go menu and Library should now show up. They hide it by default. Still I would recommend you do not put it in there and leave it in your /Username/ folder instead.

Alternatively you can hit cmd-shift-g and type ~/Library to open the library folder.

Thanks for the fast reply.
1) When I pointed the back up at the card, it formatted it and did a TM. The issue was it is a brand new computer and it is already at 78 gigs. So 2) I don't need to backup the 20 gigs of games I have downloaded from Steam since getting the computer. I would like to exclude them, to get the TM backup down in size a bit, but I can't find them, even when I search for them in the TM interface.

3) I will put my music in my username folder. Thanks! I am just struggling on how finder works. That I cannot find things like my username folder when I am in finder makes me feel like I am missing something huge somewhere.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Snowmankilla posted:

3) I will put my music in my username folder. Thanks! I am just struggling on how finder works. That I cannot find things like my username folder when I am in finder makes me feel like I am missing something huge somewhere.

Finder hides a lot of stuff by default, if you're trying to learn what the hell is actually going on it's disorienting. Try View > Show Path Bar.

I'd also recommend dragging your home folder to the sidebar. Open like your documents folder and do CMD+Up to go up two folders. You should see it, and just drag it on over.

Another #ProTip is that the little icon in titlebars is a draggable object as well.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

The Milkman posted:

Finder hides a lot of stuff by default, if you're trying to learn what the hell is actually going on it's disorienting. Try View > Show Path Bar.

I'd also recommend dragging your home folder to the sidebar. Open like your documents folder and do CMD+Up to go up two folders. You should see it, and just drag it on over.

Another #ProTip is that the little icon in titlebars is a draggable object as well.

Ahhh. These 2(3?) tips are a loving life saver. I can now both find my poo poo, and have it on my sidebar. Thanks again!

Edit: I can now move files. The only thing I can't figure out is where games are installed/how to exclude that in TM.

Snowmankilla fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 27, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Games usually just go to the Applications folder

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
If you're using Steam, you can add its folder to Time Machine's exclusion list.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

The Milkman posted:

If you're using Steam, you can add its folder to Time Machine's exclusion list.

Yeah, I am trying to do that. Either can't find it, or it is hidden. Blah. Maybe I just will back up everything on a cheap external instead.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Snowmankilla posted:

Yeah, I am trying to do that. Either can't find it, or it is hidden. Blah. Maybe I just will back up everything on a cheap external instead.

Open Time Machine Preferences>Options...>

Then add the folders you want to exclude from backups.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Snowmankilla posted:

Maybe I just will back up everything on a cheap external instead.

Don't do this!

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Snowmankilla posted:

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/15989/how-do-i-move-steam-games-to-another-location-on-disk-on-my-mac#15993

The folder you're looking for is
~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/

Note the ~ that equals /Users/yourname

In Time Machine prefs, Options > + to add exclusion > Options > check Show invisible items. That will let you navigate hidden folders for this purpose

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Snowmankilla posted:

I believe the games should just be installed in /Applications, either that or there's a /Applications/SteamApps folder. I have Steam on my laptop, I can check it when I get home.

Also, for sidebar, check your Finder Preferences, all of the checkboxes to add things to sidebar are right in there. There's a lot of good ones. There's also checkboxes to show mounted volumes and network volumes on the desktop as well.

edit: beaten like hell

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
So this weekend I moved, and when I plugged my (carefully packed) 2012 Mini in, the fan instantly came on and has stayed that way. I took the bottom cover off, made sure nothing was mushed together and even turned it upside down to run in case there was a pressure issue somehow.
I started Macs Fan Control and it's showing no fan or sensors listed at all. Would this cable being loose/broken cause this? http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Mac-Mini-Hard-Drive-Temperature-Sensor-p-17434.html

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Snowmankilla posted:

If you're looking for a common location, like Home, Documents, Applications, you can probably find it in the Go menu if you're in Finder. Similarly, cmd+shift+[letter] tends to take you to places, if you are in Finder or in most file dialogs. H for home, D for Desktop, A for Applications, C for Computer (this is only really useful if you have drives plugged in you want to get to), K for Network.

Also I'm pretty certain the new default for Finder is to open new windows to All Files or something stupid like that. That's not really going to help you much if you're trying to actually navigate, but you can change the default "new window" location for Finder in the application Preferences' General tab (that's Finder>Preferences, not View>Options, just to be clear).

Incidentally, there should already be a ~/Music folder, and if you were to use iTunes or whatever, it'll (if you let it) import everything to ~/Music/iTunes Library (or something like that). But I'm not sure if that (or any folders, really) show up in something like All Files view, because that's not at all useful.

Oh, and since someone mentioned turning on "Show Path Bar," it's worth noting that you can just double click anything in it to jump there, so if you're in ~/Documents/Powerpoints/2014/April and want to jump to ~/Documents/Powerpoints, you can just click the Powerpoints folder in the bar, rather than cmd+up twice.

Also helpful for navigation is using Column View (cmd+3, in Finder). That way, you can [generally] see higher-level directories to the left. It's useful for if you're not sure what's in various directories and the like, or don't need the extra metadata available in list view. I think it might sometimes not let you keep scrolling left until you hit the disk's root directory, if you were to start from your home folder though, but if you want to go to a higher directory than what you're in and can't scroll left, cmd+up'll still work and take you higher.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

The Milkman posted:

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/15989/how-do-i-move-steam-games-to-another-location-on-disk-on-my-mac#15993

The folder you're looking for is
~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/

Note the ~ that equals /Users/yourname

In Time Machine prefs, Options > + to add exclusion > Options > check Show invisible items. That will let you navigate hidden folders for this purpose

That worked perfect thanks!

Also, thanks for all the help in loving with finder bar and hidden stuff. I feel way better now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Snowmankilla posted:

That worked perfect thanks!

Also, thanks for all the help in loving with finder bar and hidden stuff. I feel way better now.

Nice! A lot of the stuff that you put back used to be visible there by default. Apple's pared back the contents of the Finder sidebar a few times since like 2010 in the interest of simplicity.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
I plugged my Apple Keyboard 2 into my computer last night before I left work and this morning it won't power on, no matter how many different ways I've tried to do it (plugged in, holding down shift+option, unplugged, etc).

Is it just me or has the quality of Apple products really started to take a poo poo? I can't believe a brand new keyboard would die within 5 months of use.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

pipebomb posted:

So this weekend I moved, and when I plugged my (carefully packed) 2012 Mini in, the fan instantly came on and has stayed that way. I took the bottom cover off, made sure nothing was mushed together and even turned it upside down to run in case there was a pressure issue somehow.
I started Macs Fan Control and it's showing no fan or sensors listed at all. Would this cable being loose/broken cause this? http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Mac-Mini-Hard-Drive-Temperature-Sensor-p-17434.html

Probably. I've definitely had that happen on an iMac.

McDeth posted:

I plugged my Apple Keyboard 2 into my computer last night before I left work and this morning it won't power on, no matter how many different ways I've tried to do it (plugged in, holding down shift+option, unplugged, etc).

Is it just me or has the quality of Apple products really started to take a poo poo? I can't believe a brand new keyboard would die within 5 months of use.

Is the physical switch turned on?

Also I think it's just you. Every company has manufacturing errors; having one of them, while admittedly personally frustrating, has no bearing on the quality of their products writ large.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Yes, it's on.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is there a reason you can't utilize the warranty

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

McDeth posted:

Warranty.

Also, if we must editorialize, I've actually seen the quality of their products increase, at least the ones I bought. I can't think of anything I've bought from them since about late 2013 that had any issues. But even if it would, they have really good service and based on lots of very positive experiences I feel that they've got my back.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

kefkafloyd posted:

SDXC only requires the cards to be pre-formatted as exFAT, and for devices (eg cameras) that advertise SDXC support to natively use exFAT rather than requiring a reformat to FAT32 or whatever. You can still reformat them if you like.

That said, I've seen some cheap SD cards and USB thumb drives suffer huge write performance regressions when reformatted to any file system other than the particular FAT variant they shipped with. They still work, just slow. (And might wear out faster, always a concern when a flash storage device gets much slower at writing because that implies lots of write amplification.) If you reformat, do a brief before/after performance test to check for this. This is a potential problem with all thumb drives and memory cards, not just SDXC.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don't put important stuff on SD cards. I only use them for cameras and then get the files off them asap.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

BobHoward posted:

SDXC only requires the cards to be pre-formatted as exFAT, and for devices (eg cameras) that advertise SDXC support to natively use exFAT rather than requiring a reformat to FAT32 or whatever. You can still reformat them if you like.

That said, I've seen some cheap SD cards and USB thumb drives suffer huge write performance regressions when reformatted to any file system other than the particular FAT variant they shipped with. They still work, just slow. (And might wear out faster, always a concern when a flash storage device gets much slower at writing because that implies lots of write amplification.) If you reformat, do a brief before/after performance test to check for this. This is a potential problem with all thumb drives and memory cards, not just SDXC.

That sucks. I formatted mine to the format that TM needs (Apple something), If that is a bad idea I can re-format to exFAT. If that is the case, where do people do their TM backups too?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Snowmankilla posted:

That sucks. I formatted mine to the format that TM needs (Apple something), If that is a bad idea I can re-format to exFAT. If that is the case, where do people do their TM backups too?

Snowmankilla posted:

Networked storage if you're a baller, external HD otherwise.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Snowmankilla posted:

Just keep a two-stage backup. I use an external HFS+ formatted hard drive for Time Machine directly, but about once a week I sync the copy to my NAS via a disk image..

Generally speaking, the things that will kill your Mac will kill your direct attached storage also (e.g. power surges, water leaks, etc), so it's best to have another option.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I just destroyed another Macbook Pro with water by mistake, thanks cat (it's k, insurance will get most of it) so picked up the mid 2015 rMBP (and holy poo poo gently caress the CAD, this drat thing was like 3400!)

Uhhhh, how long does it take to get used to the trackpad? Force touch is pretty cool that I can just mash down on a word in Chrome and get a definition. Still haven't found many uses for it other than that, but because it's not a real button, it somehow feels.... off. I can't put my finger on it (despite literally doing so) but it just feels extremely awkward. Like I have to be very gentle with it, I can't just relax and lay back anymore, now it's like a shutter button on a camera where you have to be careful about whether you're asking it to focus or to trip the shutter, but at least with the camera the shutter button MOVES so you know where you're at. This is such an unnatural feeling.

I currently don't like it very much but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Who else has one of these Force Touch trackpads? Did you get used to it?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Pivo posted:

I just destroyed another Macbook Pro with water by mistake, thanks cat (it's k, insurance will get most of it) so picked up the mid 2015 rMBP (and holy poo poo gently caress the CAD, this drat thing was like 3400!)

Uhhhh, how long does it take to get used to the trackpad? Force touch is pretty cool that I can just mash down on a word in Chrome and get a definition. Still haven't found many uses for it other than that, but because it's not a real button, it somehow feels.... off. I can't put my finger on it (despite literally doing so) but it just feels extremely awkward. Like I have to be very gentle with it, I can't just relax and lay back anymore, now it's like a shutter button on a camera where you have to be careful about whether you're asking it to focus or to trip the shutter, but at least with the camera the shutter button MOVES so you know where you're at. This is such an unnatural feeling.

I currently don't like it very much but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Who else has one of these Force Touch trackpads? Did you get used to it?

You need to ditch that cat.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SourKraut posted:

You need to ditch that cat.

Look at my avatar dude, you think that's an option?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Pivo posted:

Look at my avatar dude, you think that's an option?

It's always an option! You just have to have a good open door policy! :colbert:

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Pivo posted:

To be honest the "trick" has had me fooled from day 1 and I've never had an issue with thinking it's not a real button, but I also use tap-to-click most of the time. Have you tried adjusting the click pressure required in the trackpad preferences? There's a big difference between Light and Firm, to the point it's pretty hard (for me) to accidentally trigger a click with it on the Firm setting.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Pivo posted:

Like I have to be very gentle with it, I can't just relax and lay back anymore, now it's like a shutter button on a camera where you have to be careful about whether you're asking it to focus or to trip the shutter, but at least with the camera the shutter button MOVES so you know where you're at. This is such an unnatural feeling.

Yeah, immediately. If you're afraid of triggering too easily, set the click to "firm" or something. It's also possible to turn off the deeper click.

Honest question (not just for you): Do you guys ever change car types or move to different apartments? How do you deal with it if the slightest thing is different?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Froist posted:

To be honest the "trick" has had me fooled from day 1 and I've never had an issue with thinking it's not a real button, but I also use tap-to-click most of the time. Have you tried adjusting the click pressure required in the trackpad preferences? There's a big difference between Light and Firm, to the point it's pretty hard (for me) to accidentally trigger a click with it on the Firm setting.

Firm is way too much though, I wish there was a setting between medium and firm. I'll get used to it, it's just a bit ... jarring. I am adjusting. It's not like I have an issue using the machine, just adjusting to the new trackpad has me feeling uncomfortable, since I'm so used to Apple's old trackpads.

flavor posted:

Yeah, immediately. If you're afraid of triggering too easily, set the click to "firm" or something. It's also possible to turn off the deeper click.

Honest question (not just for you): Do you guys ever change car types or move to different apartments? How do you deal with it if the slightest thing is different?

I've only owned 6MT Volvos, I don't drive anymore, Volvos are kinda poo poo don't buy 'em. I've moved frequently - I loving HATE moving. But for me, every move except one has been an upgrade so it's always like an "omigosh look at how great things are now" feeling, once the actual work of the move is done. I 'unno, it doesn't feel like that kind of a change, I just bought it like 10 hours ago, it just FEELS weird. We'll see.

edit: but when I drove my friend's Civic SI, it was weird as hell. Little Honda go-go cars are so different than little Volvo go-go cars. It was all noise and clicky tranny and the Volvo was just like, yup the turbo's spooled, yup we should shift sometime soon, whereas the SI was like THROW ME AROUND A CORNER the Volvos were like 'throw me down a straight, or throw yourself in a strait'. Yeah, driving very different cars can be kinda weird too.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 29, 2016

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Ok the magic track pad 2 is the best thing ever

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Can anyone recommend a MacBook model for school use? My requirements aren't all that difficult, just

-Good battery life
-Light, small form factor
-Ability to multitask on a large scale (I usually have 7-8 apps open at once w/ 5-7 tabs in Chrome)

I had a 15" Retina MB Pro 2 years ago, and while great, it was just too bulky for my needs. I won't be doing anything intensive like Photoshop or video editing, just some coding, email, Office, IRC, etc, hence the need to multi-task.

I played around with the new MacBook (m3) but from what I've seen it, it seems too under powered and overpriced for what it offers. Would the m5 be much of a jump?

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

EconOutlines posted:

Can anyone recommend a MacBook model for school use? My requirements aren't all that difficult, just

-Good battery life
-Light, small form factor
-Ability to multitask on a large scale (I usually have 7-8 apps open at once w/ 5-7 tabs in Chrome)

I had a 15" Retina MB Pro 2 years ago, and while great, it was just too bulky for my needs. I won't be doing anything intensive like Photoshop or video editing, just some coding, email, Office, IRC, etc, hence the need to multi-task.

I played around with the new MacBook (m3) but from what I've seen it, it seems too under powered and overpriced for what it offers. Would the m5 be much of a jump?

It's still early days for that machine, if your doing a lot of multitasking it's still going to struggle. Chrome is a resource-beast as well. I've got a 2013 Air, which is still a notably more powerful machine, and big spreadsheets or lots of docs open do make it splutter from time to time. I suspect you're going to start hitting a wall with any mobile processor.

If your ok with a non-retina screen, the 13' Air might be a good choice; it's not the revolutionary machine it once was and is hardly the sexiest beast anymore, but it's still got a decent amount of power under the hood and it sounds like you might be slap bang in the awkward middle ground Apple are keeping it around for. The difference in size between the 13' and 15' pro is pretty huge as well, my work machine is a 13' pro and I have no problems lugging it around or working on trains or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

flavor posted:

This is one of the least honest questions I've seen asked on the forums in years, hah. I'll humor you and treat it as such.

I've been driving Prius-es my entire adult life, going back to the original 2001 model in the US (yes, I'm that sort of awful stereotype). To this day getting in a normal gas-powered car is usually awkward for an hour or so as I jerk everybody around because the Prius acceleration is smooth and consistent, at least in my perception, where as regular car acceleration is jerky as the car tops out RPM levels in each gear before advancing to the next one.

It stinks, but to make your point for you, I do usually adjust within the a day and it's slowly getting to be less of an issue the more non-prius cars I encounter.