Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

MrChupon posted:

This is one of the least honest questions I've seen asked on the forums in years, hah. I'll humor you and treat it as such.

I've been driving Prius-es my entire adult life, going back to the original 2001 model in the US (yes, I'm that sort of awful stereotype). To this day getting in a normal gas-powered car is usually awkward for an hour or so as I jerk everybody around because the Prius acceleration is smooth and consistent, at least in my perception, where as regular car acceleration is jerky as the car tops out RPM levels in each gear before advancing to the next one.

It stinks, but to make your point for you, I do usually adjust within the a day and it's slowly getting to be less of an issue the more non-prius cars I encounter.

You know gas-powered cars have the CVT option, too, right? :v:

flavor posted:

Honest question (not just for you): Do you guys ever change car types or move to different apartments? How do you deal with it if the slightest thing is different?

There is certainly no difference between expected (and usually tested, unless you walk into dealerships blindfolded and just buy the first thing that you jam a knee into) change and unexpected change. A system or hardware that doesn't react how you'd expect is frustrating and relearning muscle memory takes effort you weren't expecting to spend.

Have someone randomly switch your keyboard layout between Dvorak and Qwerty. How well would you adapt? What if you woke up tomorrow needing to find a new apartment, pack, and move within 24 hours? Oh, right. You would be completely cool with both of those things because something being different is never a time to complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Arsten posted:

You know gas-powered cars have the CVT option, too, right? :v:

Yeah, I just think I've managed to not rent one yet. Maybe I should stop choosing the econo-shitbox option every time I visit Hertz.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

MrChupon posted:

Yeah, I just think I've managed to not rent one yet. Maybe I should stop choosing the econo-shitbox option every time I visit Hertz.

That's all Hertz has. :v:

When possible, try to select a Nissan. They tend to put CVTs in half of their line up (lovely CVTs that are problem factories.....but they are still CVTs)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Arsten posted:

There is certainly no difference between expected (and usually tested, unless you walk into dealerships blindfolded and just buy the first thing that you jam a knee into) change and unexpected change. A system or hardware that doesn't react how you'd expect is frustrating and relearning muscle memory takes effort you weren't expecting to spend.

Have someone randomly switch your keyboard layout between Dvorak and Qwerty. How well would you adapt? What if you woke up tomorrow needing to find a new apartment, pack, and move within 24 hours? Oh, right. You would be completely cool with both of those things because something being different is never a time to complain.
It's flavor - he's the fishmech of the Mac thread, so don't respond. I think most normal people can acknowledge it can take at least some type to adapt to any change.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I've owned only manual cars since I was sixteen. Driving an automatic is a very strange experience that actually feels vaguely unsafe, but the difference in clutch lengths and shifter throws is pretty distracting when you switch manual cars and probably similar to this guy's trackpad sensation. It definitely feels like the same sort of difference as using the terrible trackpads on Windows laptops. This doesn't mean that he's allergic to change, just aware of it. It would be strange to not be aware of it.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

SourKraut posted:

It's flavor - he's the fishmech of the Mac thread, so don't respond. I think most normal people can acknowledge it can take at least some type to adapt to any change.

I thought Pivo was our resident fishmech?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

MrChupon posted:

This is one of the least honest questions I've seen asked on the forums in years, hah.
I'm just wondering how :spergin: people are here. I think the track pad thing is a microscopic change.

MrChupon posted:

It stinks, but to make your point for you, I do usually adjust within the a day and it's slowly getting to be less of an issue the more non-prius cars I encounter.
Interesting.

Arsten posted:

OMG the steering wheel on this on is 0.2 inches further to the left than on that other one - I'll never get used to that!

Arsten posted:

This was based on the force touch track pad vs. the old type track pad. I'm sorry, that doesn't even register with me. It's of course always possible to come up with something that's extremely different enough to make things difficult for anyone, but we're talking about a surface that one has to push and that has staid in the same position.

tuyop posted:

I've owned only manual cars since I was sixteen. Driving an automatic is a very strange experience that actually feels vaguely unsafe, but the difference in clutch lengths and shifter throws is pretty distracting when you switch manual cars and probably similar to this guy's trackpad sensation. It definitely feels like the same sort of difference as using the terrible trackpads on Windows laptops. This doesn't mean that he's allergic to change, just aware of it. It would be strange to not be aware of it.
I have driven both in various cars, and I really don't have a problem with either.

I'm REALLY sorry for the people who have to project things here, but I seem to be coming in on the low end of having issues with change. I had noticed this in completely different contexts before when someone got very aggressive when I wasn't with them on "OMG the Control Panel of Windows 2000 is SO different from Windows 98!".

Thank you for your interesting input on this.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

flavor posted:

OMG the steering wheel on this on is 0.2 inches further to the left than on that other one - I'll never get used to that!
Yes, because a Toyota Yaris is identical in all ways to a Toyota Tundra - except the positioning of a steering wheel.

Stop drinking wood grain alcohol, dude.

flavor posted:

This was based on the force touch track pad vs. the old type track pad. I'm sorry, that doesn't even register with me. It's of course always possible to come up with something that's extremely different enough to make things difficult for anyone, but we're talking about a surface that one has to push and that has staid in the same position.
The difference is in how hard a person uses a track pad. If you touch it like a dainty butterfly and thus see no difference in any way between that and other track pads, that's all you. Being a douche to other people because they don't use it exactly like you do isn't useful.

flavor posted:

I'm REALLY sorry for the people who have to project things here, but I seem to be coming in on the low end of having issues with change. I had noticed this in completely different contexts before when someone got very aggressive when I wasn't with them on "OMG the Control Panel of Windows 2000 is SO different from Windows 98!".
If you were "REALLY sorry" you wouldn't have been "very aggressive" about someone trying to find a way to work with what he had just purchased.

I know, I know. You are a special snow flake and everyone should be like you. We get it. We just don't care.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Arsten posted:

I know, I know. You are a special snow flake and everyone should be like you. We get it. We just don't care.

No, I've just seen that there are some people here who get super emotional about it when other people don't have the exact same hangups they have, and then lash out.

What I'm really thinking is that people are just different and work in different ways, and are probably reasonably easy to get along with in real life but that on forums where they don't have to look you in the face some publicly become apoplectic and take it very personally if your issues don't match theirs to the last atom.

Okay, the new track pad is terrible and I'll never get used to it. And driving even slightly different cars takes me a week to get used to until I know front from back. Happy?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EconOutlines posted:

Can anyone recommend a MacBook model for school use? My requirements aren't all that difficult, just

-Good battery life
-Light, small form factor
-Ability to multitask on a large scale (I usually have 7-8 apps open at once w/ 5-7 tabs in Chrome)

I had a 15" Retina MB Pro 2 years ago, and while great, it was just too bulky for my needs. I won't be doing anything intensive like Photoshop or video editing, just some coding, email, Office, IRC, etc, hence the need to multi-task.

I played around with the new MacBook (m3) but from what I've seen it, it seems too under powered and overpriced for what it offers. Would the m5 be much of a jump?

I tried to replace a 2014 rMBP (15") with the 2016 m5.

It just fell short, but for almost all my tasks it was perfectly serviceable. Where I had issues was running various VMs and using PyCharm. Since I use both of those fairly often, I ended up giving it to my nephew who's got his first year of college starting this fall. For normal stuff: Office, multiple tabs, ssh and RDP it worked great. I only ever noticed throttling kick in when running VMware over time and PyCharm almost immediately. Otherwise it was unnoticeable. The two things I'll really miss are the fantastic keyboard (the keys are slightly contoured, bigger and have less travel) and Force Touch Trackpad.

Another thing, going from 1920 x 1200 to 1440 x 900 can be a bit cramped, but the Apple multiport adapter helps with that.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 29, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

flavor posted:

No, I've just seen that there are some people here who get super emotional about it when other people don't have the exact same hangups they have, and then lash out.
Uh huh. Sure.

flavor posted:

What I'm really thinking is that people are just different and work in different ways, and are probably reasonably easy to get along with in real life but that on forums where they don't have to look you in the face some publicly become apoplectic and take it very personally if your issues don't match theirs to the last atom.
They express frustration and you pretend it means they are holding a razor to their arm for attention. You are the only one who thinks this was going on.

flavor posted:

Okay, the new track pad is terrible and I'll never get used to it. And driving even slightly different cars takes me a week to get used to until I know front from back. Happy?

Sure, sure. Bob's your uncle. Whatever works to make you go argue with fishmech.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

flosofl posted:

I tried to replace a 2014 rMBP (15") with the 2016 m5.

I think I'll revisit the Apple Store and see if a rMBP(13") will be acceptable in terms of weight/size. A lot more power for the the same (or less) of a price.

Thanks.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EconOutlines posted:

I think I'll revisit the Apple Store and see if a rMBP(13") will be acceptable in terms of weight/size. A lot more power for the the same (or less) of a price.

Thanks.
From a "computing dollar" perspective, the rMBP is a much better purchase. In this case I was looking for ultra portable --it's seriously unbelievable how thin and light it is, and it has a Retina display. Unfortunately, it didn't have just enough oomph at the end, and I couldn't justify the cost of an m7. Ultra portable is a valuable feature, but not *that* valuable, the cost of the m5 was pushing it as it was.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Apple better release new hardware before this thread turns into auto chat.

I need to start thinking about new tires.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Housh posted:

Apple better release new hardware before this thread turns into auto chat.

Tire status: Don't Buy -- rumors of a new tire release in Q4 2016...

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Arsten posted:

They express frustration and you pretend it means they are holding a razor to their arm for attention.
No idea what you mean by that. They're just frustrated because not every last poster follows them 100% and it makes them post ad hominem comparisons to other posters, which I see as a sign of desperation from people out of substantive arguments.

Believe it or not, I've used so many computers that I really tend to not pay attention to or have thoughts enter my mind about which keyboard I'm using or whether the click of the track pad is physical or force touch. I had expected there to be more people like that, but nobody else came forward. Does this make me special or better than anyone? No, it's just a difference I wasn't aware of.

I'm sure you are 100% average in everything you do and you don't stick out an iota in any area, so I congratulate you. But if you ever do, make sure not to ask about it because you're probably just trying to be seen as a "special snowflake", "arguing in bad faith", "posting like user X" and whatnot. Just keep your head down.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Housh posted:

movax posted:

Tire status: Don't Buy -- rumors of a new tire release in Q4 2016...

One of these should be the new thread title imo.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I received my 250 GB SSD today and I ran Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my HD to my new SSD. Upon completion, it shows my new SSD has 80 GB free while my old HD has 50 GB free. Both HD's are the same size. Did I do something wrong?

I was able to boot fine from the SSD but wasn't comfortable continuing with that drive so I just erased the SSD again and trying it again with the SuperDuper app. I assume something went wrong or I chose a different option on the Carbon Copy Cleaner.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 30, 2016

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
That would annoy the poo poo out of me.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

flavor posted:

They're just frustrated because not every last poster follows them 100% and it makes them post ad hominem comparisons to other posters, which I see as a sign of desperation from people out of substantive arguments.

Arsten posted:

You are the only one who thinks this was going on.

Circles are fun!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Arsten posted:

Circles are fun!

I don't know if "fun" is the adjective I'd use to describe anything regarding flavor posts

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Busy Bee posted:

I received my 250 GB SSD today and I ran Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my HD to my new SSD. Upon completion, it shows my new SSD has 80 GB free while my old HD has 50 GB free. Both HD's are the same size. Did I do something wrong?

I was able to boot fine from the SSD but wasn't comfortable continuing with that drive so I just erased the SSD again and trying it again with the SuperDuper app. I assume something went wrong or I chose a different option on the Carbon Copy Cleaner.
Are SSDs advertised differently? I forget if that was a thing. You could check in Disk Utility or Finder and look at the block size or capacity/free space or whatever to compare. Otherwise did CCC maybe exclude caches or something, or maybe hidden partitions on the HDD?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Did you also choose to clone the Recovery partition? It's only 660 MB, the size of a bootup CD. Might be bad if you didn't..

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
So I went ahead and used the SuperDuper clone tool instead - here's a picture comparing the two drives after it was done.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If it boots fine and all of your stuff is there, I would just say "yay, space savings". OS X accumulates a lot of cruft sometimes. There's all the metadata it throws everywhere, there are folders it keeps for old data just in case, LOGS - SO MANY LOGS, and surely an OS X compatible application wouldn't copy over your Trash and other things like that.

Boot it. See if it's all there. I'm quite certain you will find it, in usage, to be identical.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pivo posted:

surely an OS X compatible application wouldn't copy over your Trash and other things like that.

I sure hope it does.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I sure hope it does.

You could do a direct clone using the Terminal without any third party application, I personally would hope that an OS X aware application would notice what's junk and what's not. I can't personally speak to where the size differences come from in this person's case, all I'm saying is that if it boots fine and all your stuff is there, let it go. Metadata, logs, install files, bullshit stacks up. OS X isn't really good at saving space.

There are instructions here for using `dd` to make a direct copy without any third party software. That will be an identical clone.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

also it's kinda cute that you guys spent like two pages arguing about me bitching about the trackpad, and Arsten actually defended me.

I was just saying "augh this is weird and annoying" but I suppose it did merit a discussion. I let my friend try it and she thought it was fabulous, so I guess it varies how quickly people take to it. I've been using Apple trackpads for, like, over a decade now? Change is weird. I'll deal. But continue talking about it if you want. Without making judgements about me, if you could. -_-

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I also hate change. Like the godawful 12" Macbook keyboard.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

If it boots fine and all of your stuff is there, I would just say "yay, space savings". OS X accumulates a lot of cruft sometimes. There's all the metadata it throws everywhere, there are folders it keeps for old data just in case, LOGS - SO MANY LOGS, and surely an OS X compatible application wouldn't copy over your Trash and other things like that.

Boot it. See if it's all there. I'm quite certain you will find it, in usage, to be identical.

All of the data loss is pretty much in movies, though. I mean, I get it what you are saying about Metadata, and the tiny amounts lost from the other categories could certainly be that..... But how much metadata are you going to keep for your movies? Is it going to be twice the video size itself?

That being said, Busy Bee, I would start a disk scan via Apple Diagnostics and see if what you lost wasn't rejected for disk read errors. Depending on the tool (I am unfamiliar with both of those you tried, sorry) it might not copy any of the files in question if there were disk read issues.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

also it's kinda cute that you guys spent like two pages arguing about me bitching about the trackpad, and Arsten actually defended me.
Because venting frustration is 112% of SH/SC. Who the gently caress cares what the frustration is about?

Pivo posted:

But continue talking about it if you want. Without making judgements about me, if you could. -_-

No. You'll get judged and you'll like it. :colbert:

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Pivo posted:

Yeah everything works fine and everything seems to be there. Seems like I'm missing a decent amount of movie files.... I did delete a few movie files before I cloned the HD though. Regardless, nothing really important there anyway. I plan to hold onto this MBP until the new ones come out.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Ok the magic track pad 2 is the best thing ever

Yeah. It and the rechargeable keyboard are so loving nice.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
So I'm going back to school for computer science this fall and hauling around this T430 I bought as a stopgap when my 2008 MBP died is not going to work for me. Mainly because I really dislike windows still, and this thing is like hauling an anchor around compared to my old unibody MBP. As of now I'm sort of torn between the 2015 rMB (m5 or m7 model) and the 2015 13" MBP on the refurb store. I love the rMB form factor, a hub for my desk at home would take care of most of the issues I have with ports and let me use my larger display for work at home. The battery life seems fine and I can probably learn to live with the keyboard, and I don't think the slight spec bump this year would be worth the price premium...but I could be wrong on that? The 13" is just so much more computer for the dollar. And it'd let me have 16GB of ram which might be nice for more VMs? I don't know, I don't feel like the rMB is going to limit me with my use case (student poo poo, media consumption, coding), and I kinda feel like if I'm eventually going to buy the MBP, I should just wait for the refresh (in september?) when prices are bound to drop on the refurb store.

Thoughts?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Viper_3000 posted:

So I'm going back to school for computer science this fall and hauling around this T430 I bought as a stopgap when my 2008 MBP died is not going to work for me. Mainly because I really dislike windows still, and this thing is like hauling an anchor around compared to my old unibody MBP. As of now I'm sort of torn between the 2015 rMB (m5 or m7 model) and the 2015 13" MBP on the refurb store. I love the rMB form factor, a hub for my desk at home would take care of most of the issues I have with ports and let me use my larger display for work at home. The battery life seems fine and I can probably learn to live with the keyboard, and I don't think the slight spec bump this year would be worth the price premium...but I could be wrong on that? The 13" is just so much more computer for the dollar. And it'd let me have 16GB of ram which might be nice for more VMs? I don't know, I don't feel like the rMB is going to limit me with my use case (student poo poo, media consumption, coding), and I kinda feel like if I'm eventually going to buy the MBP, I should just wait for the refresh (in september?) when prices are bound to drop on the refurb store.

Thoughts?

If you are going to be running VMs, my recommendation is that you definitely want the extra processor power and RAM of the MBP.

If you are heart-set on having the rMB, though, you can always get the rMB and then get a cheap(er) PC system you can use to host VMs on. If you need the VMs at school and the system stays at home, you can always connect via RDP/VNC/w-e to the client operating systems across the internet. But this option has its own drawbacks - especially spending money for a second system.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Arsten posted:

If you are going to be running VMs, my recommendation is that you definitely want the extra processor power and RAM of the MBP.

If you are heart-set on having the rMB, though, you can always get the rMB and then get a cheap(er) PC system you can use to host VMs on. If you need the VMs at school and the system stays at home, you can always connect via RDP/VNC/w-e to the client operating systems across the internet. But this option has its own drawbacks - especially spending money for a second system.

Oh. I forgot to mention that I already have a desktop gaming rig (i7-6700, 1070, 16GB RAM) that can do the heavy lifting in the scenario you mentioned. I'd just need to figure out how to connect to it via RDP/VNC/whateves when I'm out of the house.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Viper_3000 posted:

Oh. I forgot to mention that I already have a desktop gaming rig (i7-6700, 1070, 16GB RAM) that can do the heavy lifting in the scenario you mentioned. I'd just need to figure out how to connect to it via RDP/VNC/whateves when I'm out of the house.

You just need to open a port on your router. RDP is complicated, I think there's a wide range of ports, I've never exposed RDP to the greater Internet, but you can probably find instructions to do it. I've done VNC, and that's as easy as setting up a server and opening one port. You could also VPN in and RDP through the VPN, then you can authenticate using your Windows account on a secure connection, but I've never setup a VPN server on OS X. I think there's a package called OpenConnect on brew and you can Google about that, I really think RDP over VPN is the most secure way to punch a hole in your firewall to the outside world, but I suppose VNC with a strong password would work decently too, there's just not that extra layer of protection.

edit: You might also want to sign up with a free dynamic DNS service so you can address your computer by name across the Internet, since remembering the IP addy can be a bitch - especially when it changes and you're not at home.

edit2: I just realized you wouldn't be setting up the VPN on OS X. Well, OpenConnect should work on Windows, there's probably a port.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 1, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Pivo posted:

RDP is complicated, I think there's a wide range of ports

It's just 3389, TCP.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

It's just 3389, TCP.

Really? When I looked into this last, there was like a HUGE range. But, I am likely mistaken and confusing it with some other godforsaken Microsoft product. Thanks for the correction.

Still, allowing RDP to the outside world is probably a bad idea, I stand by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Viper_3000 posted:

T430's aren't awful but if you're coming from a Mac they seem terrible. Mainly because of the screen, battery, and thickness.

Have you thought about a used 11" Air? You can get them super cheap. Like $450 for a 2014. Half the price of a new MB or refurbed 13 rMBP. Heck you can get a 13" rMBP for $700 used if you look around.