Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

TheMadMilkman posted:

The wireless card on my 1st-gen blackbook is starting to go out. Is it worth it to replace the card itself, or should I go for a USB adapter? Is there a preferred OS X compatible adapter?

If it were me I'd just get the internal card, I hate having dongles sticking out all the time just to get a wireless connection; also you effectively lose a USB port which would hurt if you plug in a lot of devices into your MB.

Bob Morales posted:

Can you just replace the card? Is it really 'worn out', maybe one of the antennas is just unhooked?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/6615048K/

Nah, you're not supposed to use that card, it's got three antenna ports. The original Core Duo MacBook only has two antenna leads.

This is what you should be using, it has the proper number of ports and it's what people have used in the past, and it's only $40.

If your access point is an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station that has 802.11n, at least 2X2 MIMO should be supported, which would make it pay to get the internal card.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

illcendiary posted:

Anyone have experience with the Apple store doing swaps of this sort? I may just end up buying one of those new OWC SSDs.

You can return any item for any reason with 14 days. However, assuming you get another straight away you have the same random chance of getting another slow SSD.
That said, I've never heard of anyone unlucky enough to have to return 2 or more...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You'll pay a restocking fee if nothing is wrong with it. I don't think they consider a slow SSD a defect.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's not even a slow SSD. It's a perfectly fine SSD that's drat near impossible to distinguish from the Samsung drive outside of synthetic tests.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I thought the 14 day thing was without any fees/defects? Might only be Australia that lets you do that.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

fleshweasel posted:

What about a firewire drive, though?

Not as far as I know. If you get it working, tell me.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Mu Zeta posted:

You'll pay a restocking fee if nothing is wrong with it. I don't think they consider a slow SSD a defect.

I don't think the Apple Store has restocking fees for anything. It sure doesn't say they do on their policy.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
You might be able to just return it then buy another one (...and moot if you didn't buy it from there in the first place), but they have no reason to just swap it for you cause yeah, there's nothing wrong with it.

~Coxy posted:

That said, I've never heard of anyone unlucky enough to have to return 2 or more...
I'm guessing timb hasn't bought one then.

chimz posted:

Not as far as I know. If you get it working, tell me.
I think the only external interface that works for a Windows drive is eSATA, although it probably depends on how the drivers are handled. Thunderbolt could be an option down the line but it'll probably be similar to USB/FW where the drivers only load after the OS does.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've just upgraded from a late 07 MacBook Pro to a current Air, and the one thing that wowed me the most (probably because it's not something people tend to focus on due to SSD being so badass) is my CPU usage for video decoding has dropped insanely.

Before, the top 3mbit HD feed on my NFL subscription would oversaturate the CPU and be jerky as hell... Now it's barely a thing. Same with 1080p MKV... Like 13% usage and I can't even hear the fans kick in.

The difference that the GPU decoding makes is insane, especially comparing the fact I had discrete graphics before and now it's all on one chip. The CPU runs hot (80c) but nothing to worry about. Loving it so far.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What is the cheapest but actually fits optibay for a 2010 13"?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

evensevenone posted:

I don't think the Apple Store has restocking fees for anything. It sure doesn't say they do on their policy.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/01/09/no-more-restocking-fees-at-apple-stores-starting-january-11/

Looks like they got rid of it in 2011. Pretty awesome.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I'm thinking about getting a 27" apple cinema display for my new imac today.

The height difference really drives me nuts though

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm asking around to see if anyone has some old DDR2 4GB sticks they want to sell me for my MBP. Save me some beer money and you can make some beer money!

My SA Mart thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3448540

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 12, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BlackMK4 posted:

What is the cheapest but actually fits optibay for a 2010 13"?

Have you tried an eBay one?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FM4UGE
I just ordered this, from the comments it should work. Hopefully.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wish I had been the first one to market optibays for 80 bucks. A loving metal bracket for that much?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BlackMK4 posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FM4UGE
I just ordered this, from the comments it should work. Hopefully.

Looks nice for $11.99

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Picked up a new thunderbolt display today to go with the imac I purchased last week. I dig it so far, although I wish it was 30" to match my other displays.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Look at that tiny keyboard controlling everything... you should get a 30 inch keyboard too

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

FlashBangBob posted:

Look at that tiny keyboard controlling everything... you should get a 30 inch keyboard too

Yeah I've always hated my tiny keyboard and I only have a single 27". Why doesn't Apple make a full size wireless anymore?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Legdiian posted:

Yeah I've always hated my tiny keyboard and I only have a single 27". Why doesn't Apple make a full size wireless anymore?

I hate the fullsize because:
A) The home/end keys don't work like they should (like they do on a PC)
B) The keyboard layout is different from the Mac laptops
C) It forces me to put my magic trackpad way over THERE

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Mac Pro has 4 HD bays. My question is can you make a RAID 5 or 10 with those drives and boot off it?

If you can't boot from RAID, would the second optical drive bay work as a spot to put an SSD or even a regular HD for a boot drive?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bob Morales posted:

A) The home/end keys don't work like they should (like they do on a PC)

I've seen this moaned about quite often but never really understood it. Home/End sounds like it should go to the beginning or end of a document, yet the 'correct' behaviour is to skip to the start or end of a single line? I didn't even realise PC behaviour did this by default, and when I learnt about it I didn't suddenly realise how much better it made my life because I still don't use them like that. Mac behaviour can do the same with a key modifier anyway, so I can't work out what the big deal is.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The pHo posted:

I've seen this moaned about quite often but never really understood it. Home/End sounds like it should go to the beginning or end of a document, yet the 'correct' behaviour is to skip to the start or end of a single line? I didn't even realise PC behaviour did this by default, and when I learnt about it I didn't suddenly realise how much better it made my life because I still don't use them like that. Mac behaviour can do the same with a key modifier anyway, so I can't work out what the big deal is.

Home/End take you to the beginning or end of a line, while ctrl-home/ctrl-end take you to the beginning or end of the document by default on the PC.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Right, I know this. What I'm asking is - why is it a big deal? There's a million things that change when you switch from Windows to OSX but people seem to get hung up on this function that I can't personally see being used so often in the first place.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The pHo posted:

Right, I know this. What I'm asking is - why is it a big deal? There's a million things that change when you switch from Windows to OSX but people seem to get hung up on this function that I can't personally see being used so often in the first place.

As a programmer and sysadmin I use it all the time, every day. The keys also behave 'the right way' in Linux, so it's OS X that's being the oddball. Open up terminal and fire up nano and the keys work as they should.

You can do this by typing Command-left or Command-right on the Mac but it's just another quirky thing to learn.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 13, 2011

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

The Mac Pro has 4 HD bays. My question is can you make a RAID 5 or 10 with those drives and boot off it?

If you can't boot from RAID, would the second optical drive bay work as a spot to put an SSD or even a regular HD for a boot drive?

My understanding is yes, but obviously not without a supported RAID controller (custom configuration in Apple store or nab your own Promise card). Yes to booting from a 5.25 bay -> 3.5/2.5" adapter. The stock cable header may be kind of tight if you need to stretch it to a tiny SSD. It's a pretty tight fit.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

As a programmer and sysadmin I use it all the time, every day. The keys also behave 'the right way' in Linux, so it's OS X that's being the oddball. Open up terminal and fire up nano and the keys work as they should.

You can do this by typing Command-left or Command-right on the Mac but it's just another quirky thing to learn.

Aren't your hands closer to the Command and arrow keys than they are to PgUp/PgDown in general use? Once learned I found it a lot easier.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Neurophonic posted:

Aren't your hands closer to the Command and arrow keys than they are to PgUp/PgDown in general use? Once learned I found it a lot easier.

Same keys on a laptop. Besides, I'm used to reach up to the home/end/pgup/pgdn/ins/del using PC keyboards for the last 15 years.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
I'm considering getting a Mac Mini server to use with my two Dell 24" U2410 screens. I assume I can run one from the HDMI->DVI adapter and the second using a Thunderbolt->DVI or Displayport adapter? Also if I do this, will I be able to daisy chain the Thunderbolt cable into a device (in case I get something in the future) then into the display? I googled the daisy chaining thing and found conflicting stuff

edit: anyone got a Mini 2011 server, feel free to comment on greatness or lack thereof

Softcox fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 14, 2011

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
My buddys nearly new Macbook Air is having strange issues.

When he turns on the computer, the 'turn on sound' plays over and over again. When it finally turns on, the mouse and trackpad are completely non responsive. He can still move the mouse around using Touchpad from his iPad. After it's on, it stays on. This is the second time this has happened. The first time, it just fixed itself seemingly and that was a couple of weeks back. The nearest authorised repair centre is over 1800 miles away, so he can't just take it in.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:

angor posted:

My buddys nearly new Macbook Air is having strange issues.

When he turns on the computer, the 'turn on sound' plays over and over again. When it finally turns on, the mouse and trackpad are completely non responsive. He can still move the mouse around using Touchpad from his iPad. After it's on, it stays on. This is the second time this has happened. The first time, it just fixed itself seemingly and that was a couple of weeks back. The nearest authorised repair centre is over 1800 miles away, so he can't just take it in.

He can mail it in to apple I think.

Apple says you can have problems with the trackpad if you're not using a grounded power adapter. Make sure you use a 3 pronged power connector or test the laptop unplugged.

Another issue could be that a contact is loose somewhere, if you're feeling brave, use http://www.ifixit.com/ to find your model and open up the laptop and reconnect the trackpad/keyboard.

Here's the link for mail-in repair http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24555?viewlocale=en_US

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
He's using the three pronged cable that came with the computer. I don't think either of us is comfortable taking it apart. Well, I would be if it was mine, but I'm not about to disassemble his MBA.

Since we're in Kenya, I don't think Apple will do the shipping thing, but I'll look into that more closely. If all else fails, I guess I can take it to London this week and ship it back to him. This is his only work computer though, and not having it for even a few days is NOT a good thing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Softcox posted:

I'm considering getting a Mac Mini server to use with my two Dell 24" U2410 screens. I assume I can run one from the HDMI->DVI adapter and the second using a Thunderbolt->DVI or Displayport adapter? Also if I do this, will I be able to daisy chain the Thunderbolt cable into a device (in case I get something in the future) then into the display? I googled the daisy chaining thing and found conflicting stuff

edit: anyone got a Mini 2011 server, feel free to comment on greatness or lack thereof
Yeah, it comes with a HDMI->DVI adapter, then you'd get a Mini DisplayPort->DVI adapter for the other one. If you get a Thunderbolt device you'd hook that up to the computer then daisy chain the display adapter off of that...although I have no clue if adapters work off the daisy chained port (like if the computer will sense DVI/VGA/etc). On the plus side it looks like the U2410 has DisplayPort to begin with, so you can get a Mini to full size DP cable rather than some adapter.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've been told that Apple are rolling out new policy to put a stop on their genius bar doing free out of warranty repairs for people now. Not great news as I always read great feedback when this happens. Must be causing them a fortune though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The pHo posted:

I've been told that Apple are rolling out new policy to put a stop on their genius bar doing free out of warranty repairs for people now. Not great news as I always read great feedback when this happens. Must be causing them a fortune though.

Water is wet, bears poo poo in the woods, sky is blue, etc. They never were supposed to, I hear they're just enforcing it by fixing their GSX system to tell you to go gently caress off if you try to enter a serial number that's out of warranty.

Probably just a way to strengthen the value of AppleCare. Why buy it if your friendly genius fixes your 2007 desktop / laptop for free?

Doesn't apply to stuff like the bad adapter program or nVidia logic board swap, although I hear that program will stop soon..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 14, 2011

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Does anyone know what the circuit boards that hold the memory on Mac Pros are called? The one on my Mac Pro 1,1 is bad (I'm pretty sure it is) but I don't know how to test it. If I put RAM on it and plug it in, it sometimes comes up and then has a kernel panic, or it just doesn't show up at all. If I put that same RAM on the other slider, it shows up in OS X just fine, no kernel panics.

So I imagine it's bad but A) I don't know how to prove it or B) how to replace it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

bassguitarhero posted:

Does anyone know what the circuit boards that hold the memory on Mac Pros are called? The one on my Mac Pro 1,1 is bad (I'm pretty sure it is) but I don't know how to test it. If I put RAM on it and plug it in, it sometimes comes up and then has a kernel panic, or it just doesn't show up at all. If I put that same RAM on the other slider, it shows up in OS X just fine, no kernel panics.

So I imagine it's bad but A) I don't know how to prove it or B) how to replace it.

Memory (riser) cards. Did you try the defective card in the second slot?

Somebody put this in the OP, it's a link to the memory install/replace guides for ALL the Mac Pro models.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4433

Pretty sure if you take it to an AASP or a Fruit Stand they can do the same thing you did and figure out what to order, I don't think it's more than 50 bucks.

Here's a third party source that has it for $60.. you could also try eeeeeeeBay.

http://www.applecomponents.com/items/922-7695_card-memory-riser/0000001510?pn=1&cmp=0082&per_page=30

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 14, 2011

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Cheers thanks for the link. Haven't tried the defective board in the first slot, I'm really kinda worried to. If it's a logic board problem that's even worse. OWC is RMAing 4GB of RAM for me so when that comes back through, I'll throw it on the bad board and swap them out see if it takes. I could swing replacing this riser, but I just can't see replacing the whole logic board, especially cos I'm hoping to sell it in a year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Just bought a new MBP to replace my Dell since it's almost dead.

Why didn't anyone tell me Apple trackpads are so amazing now? I bought a cheap wireless Microsoft mouse and now I'm finding I want to use the trackpad all the time even if it's slightly less convenient since i can't sit back. Navigating with the gestures is absolutely mind-blowing.

Why is the Magic Mouse so expensive? I want one so bad. :(