Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

The Apple Store website is down for an update. More than likely Mountain Lion related?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

So I'm thinking about picking up the old MacBook Air refurb, since I can get a discount even on it: http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0JK0

I'm getting a fully loaded iMac in October (hopefully it'll be updated by then) so I'm not needing anything too powerful. Just something I can take around with me that's pretty light.

I'm wanting it to replace an old 2006 plastic MacBook. It has water damage and doesn't work on battery anymore so it always has to be plugged in. It also is very sluggish, especially with Lion. I'm curious though as to whether this Air will run much better? I know the SSD will speed things up quite a bit, but my old MacBook has a 2.16 C2D while this Air only has a 1.6. Same amount of RAM in both.

Would I end up really disappointed by this?

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Thanks for the advice everyone. By the numbers I knew it couldn't be better, but some dumb part of my brain just knew it had to be faster because it was a 2010 and my old one was 2006... Brilliant!

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

If it's got SSD as the standard I'm sold.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Current Ivy bridge model with 256gig SSD. No tax and free shipping. Apple charges tax in every state.

I've never been taxed here in Oregon.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

After waiting for a new iMac for a while now I broke down last week and ordered a Retina instead. It arrives on the 25th so if any of the new announcements blow me away I may just return it, but I've warmed up to the idea of it by now, so I may just keep it and wait for the Thunderbolt display refresh.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Housh posted:

Is the replacement done while you wait? I know you are supposed to make an appointment but do they do it then and there? I just want to prepare as it is bit of a distance to the good old fruit stand.

YMMV, but it's a 5-7 day turnover for our store right now because of the high volume. We're the busiest store in our area though.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Abel Wingnut posted:

What's the best solution for wireless storage? I'd like to access my media from anywhere around the apartment, but would rather not drag my external everywhere. Time Capsule as a replacement for my router and external?

I've always had good luck with Buffalo's LinkStation line. I have a 250GB LinkStation that's outlived many of my internal drives.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Syano posted:

How long does it normally take to get a customized order in? I placed an order for a customized rMBP about 10 days ago and it still shows not shipped. I did place this order though a reseller and not directly through Apple since thats where we have credit terms.

That's about right. I'd be surprised if it doesn't ship in the next day or so.

Doesn't it have an estimated delivery date?

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

As long as the 2011s can still be bought new (which they can, at least at the brick and mortar Apple stores)

We haven't had any iMacs since early October at my store. Apple stopped sending them after the refresh announcement.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Secx posted:

My shiny new 15" rMBP takes a while to wake up from sleep. If I close the lid, come back later, and reopen the lid, the rMBP will be unresponsive for ~4-5 seconds (no mouse cursor or keyboard input) and sit at the password login screen.

I also noticed that the clock and battery percentage will be whatever they were when I closed the lid.

Is that normal?

Yes, after an hour the Retina and Air models enter standby mode.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4392

There are some terminal tricks to delay how long it takes to enter standby if it's bothering you.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Vedder posted:

As this will be a factory install I don't have to worry about backing up any data so would you say its's quicker to replace the hard disk and reinstall Mountain Lion? I am assuming I get a OS CD or I can create a bootable USB drive? Is the best way or should I go the Time Machine route?

No CD anymore. It's all on a restore partition. The only way I know to make a bootable USB drive is to get the DMG out of the installer you get from the App Store. You could clone the drive pretty easily though.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

I'm thinking of getting a Mac Mini to use as a basic HTPC and file server. Maybe some Steam Big Picture stuff. (I really only play indie games). I want to get the most basic model and change out the drive and RAM myself, but in this setup would I really want the quad i7? I get a pretty good discount, but for the limited use I don't really want to drop a lot on it.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

keevo posted:

Has anyone had the rubber pieces on the bottom of the MacBook Pro fall off? I've had two fall off now and it's kind of annoying. It doesn't look like Apple replaces them without me paying them to replace the entire bottom case, so I'm not really sure what to do about it.

At my old store we'd replace them if you brought it in, AppleCare or no. If you live by an Apple Store it's worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

spoon daddy posted:

I'm eyeing a 27" inch iMac and since we're only a month out from Black Friday I wanted to ask. Do Apple Sales on Black Friday typically combine with corporate or educational discounts?

I haven't worked at Apple in over a year, but if I remember right, Black Friday was pretty much just "Everyone Gets The Educational Discount Day".

I'm not sure it stacked.