Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

flavor posted:

Yeah that's different from all the other companies who announce their new comps months in advance like um... uh...

ASUS announces their new stuff a year or two in advance! 90% of which never makes it to market and that 10% usually with inferior specs to what was announced. They just like announcing stuff to make sure you feel like your purchase is outdated before you get it home.

Personally I'm liking Apple's "one upgrade a year or less" strategy. Means waiting a little longer but if I buy something near launch it doesn't get a new model in a couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Axiem posted:

Still, coughing up 2500$-3000$ (when I spec out an iMac, that's what it tends to come to) for a computer when I could build something a fair amount cheaper just seems...wrong. Either that or I need to convince my wife that we have more money than we do :(

I can totally relate. My girlfriend and I have and love our iPads and iPod Touches so I've looked into making the switch for my desktop. Just can't justify $2-3k for an iMac but I'm holding out hope the Mac Mini refresh will be enough of a bump to justify the $1k plunge.

I don't get the same "holy poo poo this is a steal" feeling looking at Mac desktops that I did when buying my New iPad. Not really sure what they could offer in a desktop to be the desktop equivalent of the gorgeous retina displays in their iOS devices though. A retina iMac would be waaaaaaaay out of my price range even leveraging Apple's amazing supply chain.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

ChocNitty posted:

Today is a good day.

I wish my day was that good. :sigh:

On the upside getting AppleCare+ for my iPad was completely painless, even the hold music was nice. For once being more than 50 miles away from an Apple store pays off.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

BlackMK4 posted:

Prolly get the computer launch at the same time.

Sure hope so, I've been talking myself out of a Mac Mini purchase since February. Give it USB 3.0, a small CPU bump and get it out the door Apple. 90% of what I want is just the security of knowing it was newly refreshed and another version is at least a year away.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Mac Mini refresh or we riot.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

terriyaki posted:

If you listen to all these drat rumors it sounds like Apple will refresh everything and come out with a retina mini fridge.

I'm actually in the market for a mini fridge right now too. :3:

Even a minor update to the Mac Mini is more than enough to make me happy. I just want to get rid of the gargantuan 15.6" laptop I have plugged into my desktop monitor.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Eager to see what the price is like on a Mac Mini with a Fusion drive. Kinda worried it'll double the base price.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

FlashBangBob posted:

Fusion Drives are an addition $250 to go from 1 TB spinning disk to 128 GB SSD + 872 GB Spinning Disk "fused" together. And its only avaiable on the $799 model, turning it into a $1049 Mini.

Ugh, that's getting awful close to "might as well spring for the cheapest iMac" range. Decisions decisions.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Oxford Comma posted:

How does it compare to the GPU in the 2011 Mac Mini? The 6630M?

I looked at notebookcheck's chart of games on various GPUs and it looks like a pretty big downgrade unfortunately.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Losing the Radeon 6630m really stings. I don't do much PC gaming, anything intensive I use the PS3 for and lately I play more iOS titles than anything. Having the 6630m made the Mac Mini a pretty serviceable low end gaming machine for the rare occasions I might want to play a round of Civ or some older Steam games. I can't justify a gaming desktop for something I go months without doing, but this leaves me with one last reason to hang on to the horrible old 15.6" laptop I'm trying to get out of my living room.

This could all be easily remedied by winning the lottery and buying a maxed out 27" iMac of course.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I wish a 128gb SSD by itself was an option in the Mac Mini, especially in the $599 model. Being limited to a 500gb 5400rpm HD and no other options sucks.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Bob Morales posted:

Kind of expensive @ $69.99 (for a dollar store screwdriver kit, adapter/cable, and a bent paperclip 'tool' that reminds me of the one you used to take Ford car stereos out) but: http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/Mac-Mini-Dual-Hard-Drive-Kit/IF171-005

Yeah, shoving one in there myself is an option. Part of the appeal of a Mac Mini is not having to play computer Legos though. I know if I buy the $599 I'll tell myself I intend to put a SSD in there, then put it off for a couple years.

The last few years have turned me so lazy about hardware. I just want to buy, throw it down on my desk and go. :effort:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

ratbert90 posted:

While this may be true, the HD4000 can play GW2 just fine at medium settings. However I do wish there was a discrete graphics option. :(

I've been on the fence about a new Mac Mini at tax time next year for a while, was totally sold on one before they revealed no dedicated graphics in the refresh.

I've been reading encouraging things about getting tolerable framerates on things like WoW, Diablo 3 and others at 1920x1080. I still find it hard to wrap my head around the idea that integrated graphics could be anything but terrible though. I'd hate to buy one and still have to use my clunky old 15.6" laptop (i3-370m Radeon 5650) for the rare PC gaming I do.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

japtor posted:

...or wait a year or so for Haswell which should provide a big jump in the integrated GPU performance.

...plus another year for Apple to bother refreshing the Mac Mini. :sigh: Probably better to just continue avoiding PC gaming and enjoy the $599 Mini in the spring.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

krooj posted:

It feels like there might be room for something in there. The question is really about pricing and whether it fits within Apple's vision (unfortunately, I don't think so). Big-Mac Mini? :v:

A Mac Mini with a low end dedicated video card that manages to pass the bar for Blizzard/Steam games would be perfect. Something around $700-$900 that runs WoW/Diablo 3/Starcraft 2 out of the box with minimal bullshit. I know a bunch of people who would like a desktop for Blizzard stuff but get all their other needs met by an iPad/laptop of some sort, making a big purchase like an iMac tough to justify.

I'm actually kind of surprised Blizzard hasn't partnered with somebody to make an inexpensive desktop that runs their games out of the box. An $800 off the shelf at Staples/Walmart "WoW box" plastered with hideous artwork seems like a no brainer.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Lexicon posted:

Is it still the collective thread wisdom to get AppleCare - even on the machines with no moving parts (retina MBPs, etc)? It's saved me in the past, but almost entirely on things like broken disc drives, etc. Deciding whether my imminently-purchased rMBP should have it or not...

It's a no brainer for my phone and I'll always get it for that. I'm leaning toward skipping it for my next iPad though and any Mac purchases in the future. I'm also the guy who owns electronics for 4-5 years and they still look like they're fresh out of the box. For more normal use cases it seems like a good investment.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Vinlaen posted:

I don't think anybody knows for sure, but Apple always has their developers conference (WWDC) in June, and then they usually have an event in the fall (September, etc) so I think most people would guess it will be released then along with the new iPhone. (that's assuming the retina MacBook is even a real thing...)

Seems like they've really gone overboard moving all their product releases into September/October. We probably won't get everything on this list, but it's at least posssible we'll see a retina MBA, iPhone, iPad, new AppleTV, Mac Mini, iMac and the iWatch by the end of the year. You'd think they'd want to space out at least a couple of those releases so they don't get overshadowed by the monster releases like the iPhone/iPad.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I guess the timing works out pretty awkward to be putting out new Macs now with Yosemite just starting public testing. Seems kind of nuts to miss back-to-school by releasing them after everyone is back in classes and behind the 800 pound gorilla releases that are the iPhone and iPad though. A new Macbook Air or something would have got a lot more attention now than it will in October.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

wdarkk posted:

I thought they used back-to-school to clear out old laptops right before the new ones came in?

Makes sense. Sucks for consumers, but it's probably good business.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

flavor posted:

How new are you to this whole Mac thing?

Honestly, in any given year over the last few now we've had 6 months or so in which a new OS X version has previews out, which has NEVER stopped Apple from releasing anything, and it shouldn't have. They just get released with whatever version of OS X is out at the time, and then they can be upgraded.

Brand new. :shobon: Seemed like a reasonable guess they'd want to have new hardware to launch alongside the official release of the new OS, but I'll take your word for it that's not been the case in the past.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

flavor posted:

BGrifter: Sorry then, I didn't want to come down too hard on you or make you feel unwelcome.

In any event, it's not like Apple only has one Mac or something, and it would be pretty silly for them if half the year or so was off limits for product releases.

They're having iOS releases coincide with hardware, but that only has two product lines whose releases are pretty close together.

Totally cool, I appreciate you taking the time to explain where I was off base. I started with iOS devices (a 4th gen iPod Touch lead to a 3rd gen iPad which lead to an iPhone 5s) so I assumed the way they handle OSX would be similar to iOS. Makes sense that more product lines would make that problematic.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Bob Morales posted:

You can get a new Air for $649 at Best Buy with the edu pricing:

At those prices I'm drat tempted to just buy one and plug it into a desktop monitor most of the time rather than continue waiting on a Mac Mini refresh.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Finally got a chance to play around with the new MacBook.

Oh my goddddddddd. :fap:

Was trying to decide between a 13" Air at a similar price or the base configuration MacBook and that decision just got a lot easier. Only thing I'm still a little leery about is the one port/no SD slot thing. Tax return can't get here fast enough.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm pretty much set on a 13" rMBP but I really wish they didn't have to put them so close to the 12" MacBook in the stores. The rMBP feels enormous after picking up the MacBook. :sigh:

That keyboard is a dealbreaker though and the MBA display means it's out too.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Bob Morales posted:

Futureshop = Best Buy = Canada

They recently shut down all the Futureshop locations, but Futureshop was owned by Best Buy and continued having stores (often side by side with Best Buy locations) to give the illusion of competition. It's kind of like how all our cellular carriers run separate budget brands to give the illusion of choice.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Pivo posted:

They were already basically the exact same store with a different brand (and it's funny how many Canadians didn't know that).

I've heard they would even share stock between stores before the closure. The whole thing was really weird.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

NOTinuyasha posted:

I'm on the fence between the new MacBook and a MBPr so unless there's a straightforward solution I can get up and running today... MBPr it is.

I've been waffling back and forth between the two for weeks, but the keyboard is probably going to push me to the rMBP. It's really bad.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

My only beef with it would be regarding the 128gb SSD. Your mileage may vary, but I had an Air with a 128gb drive and I had a miserable time with managing my storage about a year into owning it.

You need to go into it knowing that at least 20gb will be used up right off the bat by the OS and basic apps and that you should save another ~5gb for swapping and other system stuff.

If possible, I'd go for something with 8gb RAM/256gb SSD for longevity's/peace of mind's sake.

I've been trying to talk myself into the 128gb SSD on the base 13" rMBP all week. Did you toss a cheap 64gb SD card in there to add a little extra storage? It's a $250 difference going between a 128gb and 256gb SSD. I could buy a 128gb SD card for less than half of that.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Booting a second OS isn't likely to be an issue for me. I don't plan on using the rMBP to game and I don't do anything else that would require Windows. On the off chance once in a blue moon I needed access to Windows I'll have my old Thinkpad kicking around collecting dust for years to come.

tuyop posted:

I haven't run into any issues with the 128gb drive after the initial shock. I keep videos and music on a 2tb external that was like $100. I only have like 40 gigs of cloud storage and that's where I keep important and recent files anyway so the size of the SSD is not the limiting factor for me. Apps eat up quite a bit of space but big ones seem to run fine off the external as well. The read/write on that drive is actually faster than the 5400rpm drives in my old desktop.

I just subscribed to iTunes Match so music wise I should be just fine. I tend to stream all my video now so there isn't much in terms of media I need to store locally.

128gb feels really small coming from machines with old style spinning hard drives, but as long as I'm not installing monstrous 40gb games I think I should be fine.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Where are you that the difference is $250? It's a $200 difference for a new one in the U.S. It's a much smaller difference (like $100-$150) if you can buy it online and take advantage of an education discount (if you don't already have an education email account that you could use in a physical store). The differences are also possibly smaller on the refurb store if you're willing to go that route and lose the new trackpad.

Canada, $1549 CAD with the 128gb and $1799 CAD with the 256gb. The educational discount helps, $1429 and $1679, or $1600.48 vs $1880.48 after tax. So after educational discounts and taxes it's a $280 difference to go from a 128gb to 256gb SSD. Feels like highway robbery, but you're probably right I'll regret the decision not to go with the 256gb.

Maybe I'll just hang tight and watch for a refurb of some sort. Just completely fed up with the busted old netbook I'm limping along with right now. I was overdue for something new years ago.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Trying to decide between a Macbook Air and a Macbook Air Retina.

- Retina is $100 more
- Non-Retina has a 13" monitor vs 12"
- Retina has a Retina Display
- Retina has 8GB RAM vs 4GB.

Anybody have something to say about the last bullet in particular? How much of a difference is that extra RAM going to make, now and down the road? Photoshop, iMovie, and Excel (using large spreadsheets) are the most intensive programs I'm likely to use.

You might want to give the 13" Retina MacBook Pro a look. It's almost exactly the same price, retina display, 8gb RAM, better keyboard than the MacBook, at the cost of being not quite as thin and light.

Weight clocks in at 2.03lbs for the MacBook, 2.96lbs for the MacBook Air and 3.48lbs for the Retina MacBook Pro. The MacBook is between 0.14-0.52" thick, MBA 0.11-0.68" and rMBP 0.71" thick.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Well, I'm sold. Now I'm just agonizing over 128GB vs 256GB storage, for which there's a $170 price difference between identical machines at the refurb store. Obviously, this entirely depends on my own habits, and suffice to say if I had less storage I'd find ways to make it work, through cloud storage or external HDs, etc. Other than that though, anything else to say about it?

Welcome to my life. Fortunately I have to wait till I sort things out with my registration to get the educational discount so I don't have to hurry, but I flip flop on it several times a day. I'm pretty sure I can make 128gb work, but I really don't want to regret the decision a couple years down the road.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm not even sure what Adobe CS is. Most of what I'll be doing is really lightweight with the stock apps: lots of Safari tabs, editing text, Mail, FaceTime/Messages, streaming media. If the keyboard were better/there were more ports I'd have been fine with the MacBook, but the awful keyboard disqualified that and the non-retina display on the Air is a no go so rMBP it is.

That said I'm pretty much sold on the 256gb, just need to talk myself into the price difference. Doesn't make much sense to spend all that money only to skimp on the storage at the end.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Sorry, I should've been more clear. Ramrod Hotshot mentioned wanting to run Photoshop, which is part of CS (or CC nowadays).

But even if you had Photoshop and nothing else, it would still take up a lot of space.

Oh no problem, I was mostly just expressing my needs are much more lightweight than most of the users in this thread. I don't need Photoshop or things like that, any image editing I do is just cropping and rotating.

That said I plan to have this MBP for at least 3-4 years and who knows what the future holds. Definitely going 256gb.

Edit:

tuyop posted:

Well, $350. Those are both base models. :canada:

I'm thinking of refurbs and sales as well. My MBA was $950 while the rMBP was $1500 last year.

If I remember correctly when I was looking the base MBA comes with 4gb of RAM. If you up it to 8gb the MBA, 13" rMBP and MB are all within like $20 of each other on the Canadian store.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 17, 2015

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Is there a workaround to get the education discount before you start classes? I may be taking a single class starting in July which would solve the problem, but if I can't arrange my work schedule around that it wouldn't be till September that I start and get my student ID/.edu email. I'd rather not wait a few more months to buy my MBP.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Pivo posted:

At least my in my case you can basically claim to be enrolled but not have to provide any proof. When I went in to the Apple Store to buy it in person the guy did want proof of my education status but I just basically logged into my account and showed that I'm able to enroll in classes even though I haven't in like over 3 years.

If you order online, it's whatever the gently caress as far as I know. If you're legit in school in some fashion, they'll do it for you.

It really depends on how you buy. I dunno. If I buy online, I can just basically say yeah I go to this university and they'll treat it as fact. If I go into the store, once they asked me for proof but they took an expired student card as proof, the other time I didn't even have that and I just showed them that I can log in to the enrollment system.

So, uh, try your luck. But apparently we do things a bit differently in Canada since other poo poo Apple has done for me is apparently not something Apple does in the US anymore? I don't know. Just go try.

edit: Bring any kind of enrollment/acceptance paperwork. They'll definitely take that.

I'm also in Canada so that advice is good. Unfortunately I'm in the Okanagan so the closest Apple store is five hours away in Vancouver. :doh: I'll submit my paperwork to the college and see if I can get an acceptance letter or something that might work. Just taking a couple classes casually for a year before going back full time to UBC to finish my degree.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Anyone have a nice shoulder bag for the 13" MBP? Looking around at the possibilities and haven't found anything that jumps out as must have.

I like this one a lot but the reviews say it's so tight it can't even hold the power brick with the MBP.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

BlackMK4 posted:

Citation needed. They are terrible sound wise.

Much to my surprise Head-fi seem to love them.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/beats-solo-2-0-on-ear-headphones-red/reviews/11508

I'm curious enough about the wireless set that I might plunk down the $100.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Having a bizarre issue with Apple customer service. For some strange reason the Back to School promotion lists all colors of headphones available wired, but only space gray/silver/gold for the wireless. They have the exact same wireless headphone listed with blue and red options under a different listing on the Apple Store. The CSRs and managers are unable to push through the blue colored ones instead despite being the exact same price and item just under a different listing.

Not a huge deal, just strange that the Apple Store online manager is completely powerless to handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Choadmaster posted:

I hope it is. And there's also the rumored new AppleTV...

Bigger iPad, smaller iPhone and new AppleTV I'd just fork over my bank card to Tim on the spot.