Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

movax posted:

Easily, just don't be surprised if OSX starts swapping. 1440x900 is probably the lowest resolution I'd ever use XCode at.

But swapping on a SSD? Who gives a poop. That means something on a Scorpio Black maybe but in terms of a performance hit on a SSD it really doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

wheezy360 posted:

Two seconds! But I want it NOW!

I'll just do it straight away I guess. Suck it up buttercup.

Go open a pre-unibody MacBook Pro and understand pure pain.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

El Duke posted:

crying on the floor with my twenty screws in three sizes, desperately trying to pry the bottom case off, only to find even more screws...

Or stripping one of those #00000000 Philips screws made out of soda can aluminium and having to dremel it out.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

TheManWithNoName posted:

I'd like to make the move to SSD in my early 2008 MacBook. Which drive is the most reliable? Not really concerned about price but it has to be 128GB or more.

If you are not concerned at all: Intel. Super Reliable.
Want something less than an Intel: Crucial M4
Want to waste money: OCZ [cutting edge is the bleeding edge]

I got the M4 because it was cheaper by like $50 for the 256GB version. Its been great in my MBP 13" and I have absolutely no complaints /[singular data point].

ptier fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 31, 2011

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

blah_blah posted:

There is also no reason for them not to be height adjustable :shobon:

Worst Case, nice cut piece of wood that fits right under the stand. Barring that, Wired Magazines work well for this.

EDIT: I'm amazed a company hasn't pushed out an aluminium plate the exact footprint of the monitor for just this situation.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Softcox posted:

Thanks, I thought that was the case. Kind odd that Apple don't make Mini DP -> Full size DP adapters but it looks like I can buy one for $30AUD which isn't too bad. I'm not that worried about the display chaining thing, guess I'll find out when more Thunderbolt stuff becomes available.

For $30AUD? It has the same pins on either end, it should be a $6 cable from your preferred online cable seller.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

It also sucks if there isn't one by you, and you have to drive 2 hours (past like 8 Best Buys) to get to the closest ont.

I miss it when they just sent you a box and told you to give it to the UPS guy.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Comatoast posted:

Can't you call their 800 number and get this service?

They will still do it sometimes if you whine that you are too far from a store. However they will probably get more obstinate if it's an iMac or MacPro.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Typo, or real word?

I will admit that Chrome helped with the spelling a little.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

At least you didn't say 'whilst' :argh:

I mean, I knew the word I wanted, "obstinate", because my cat is that whenever I have to give her a pill. /derail

I want to see some $800 Mac Minis in the refurb store for $750 or some such soon. I have 2 monitors and one is feeling lonely with the 13" MBP as my main machine.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

Most third party Mac batteries are pretty garbage sadly.

The only ones I even remotely put trust in were the ones from OWC

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Does it come boxed up like an Apple product or just in some cardboard HP box with a 'designer' print on it?

Don't forget BEATS(tm) Audio!

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Gee, only $100 (plus a $50 cable) to connect a drive I already own with Thunderbolt.

"Transfer speeds up to 10/Gbps*"

* Except for the fact you have a power sipping 7200 RPM drive and will get NOWHERE near that speed. And I don't think we are going to allow you to daisy chain so gently caress you!

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

McFunkerson posted:

Yeah, I used a strip of packing tape to pull the glass off and bought a similar set of torax/mini Phillips/flat head bits for like $10 at Home Depot.

And get the cables from mono price for 3 bucks.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Fat Whale posted:

What mouse do you guys use on your desktop Mac?

Logitech MX518 (Wired)

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Star War Sex Butt posted:

I think they want to go thinner. Look for a move to 2.5" drives on iMacs to cut down on bulk as well.

Ugh, it better be SSDs only or the iMac is going to seem like a slow piece of rear end. Which is exactly how my brand new MBP 13" felt until the SSD upgrade.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

tuna posted:

I just got an email from Apple saying the retina MBP was shipped. :woop:

drat you and not getting 16GB of RAM like I did. I have to wait till the 22nd. But seriously, I plan on this machine being with me for a long time, RAM Ahoy!

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
I am trying to parse the "Multiple Displays" aspect of the new MBP:TNG.

Apple.com posted:

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors

I almost wonder that if it isn't driving that internal display, if it can drive the HDMI? I have heard nothing about it, and I will probably have to wait till someone tries it or I get my machine. 3 external monitors (2 MiniDP / 1 HDMI) would be freaking amazing, but I will gladly take 2 + Retina Display on the computer.

So Epic.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

y_y posted:

That's what I take that blurb to mean. Driving those 2 external displays and the internal display at 60Hz is going to need ~18Gbit/s of memory bandwidth...

Right, but my point is that if the top is closed and the internal monitor is not on, can it drive a 3rd external? Probably not, but a boy can dream.

Edit: Also I am working with 24" monitors running at 1920x1200 so, the requirements are a little less "balls to the wall" than what they are pointing at.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are there any good reviews/benchmarks of the new MBP yet? I'm assuming there are already people who have one and that some people were sent MBPs to review.

Some quick stuff here:

http://www.anandtech.com/tag/mac

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

hannibal posted:

I will be trying at least 2 external and maybe 3. (hooking up to dual DVI KVM) In fact I was looking for multiple Thunderbolt ports on the new MBP for this reason and got HDMI as a bonus.

That's pretty much how I feel. Oh extra video out! After 2 video outs already!

And also USB3 is a pretty big deal when you just want a hard drive to do image backups. Even FW800 stuff is still more expensive than USB3.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

flavor posted:

Guess what, I got one with BTO options too and it shipped also. I honestly wouldn't expect BTO to mean that some Foxconn person goes for a session with a soldering iron and actually makes these things after an order comes in. I'd expect them to have most of these combinations ready to go from some pile of boxes marked with the modifications. Unless they estimated the demand wrong, it shouldn't take more time to ship BTO ones compared to stock ones.

Damnit, I guess I was just late to the game or something. or ordering the ethernet adapter set me back. Oh well. Already sold my 13" MBP and I can live for a little while without it.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Astro7x posted:

Apparently Apple thinks the same way and took the little "new" notifier off the Mac Pro on their store page.

Hah! I think people who really needed an Mac Pro update are pretty pissed about that one. But then again, Tim Cook pretty much stated that the Mac Pro will have a proper soon and that the new procs were because Intel killed the older ones.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/12/andy-hertzfeld-the-only-thing-thats-still-high-end-about-mac-pro-is-the-bloated-price/

ptier fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 12, 2012

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Astro7x posted:

What's the big deal about updating the MacPro though? We're not asking for a redesign of the casing, or a smaller form factor. Why do people need to wait 3+ years for USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt? I think it's ridiculous that Apple sells Thunderbolt displays but you can't use them with their high end Mac Pro. While I'm personally not in the market for a Mac Pro (January 2008 model still going strong!) at work we could use a new workstation and it feels stupid to buy 2 year old technology.

Same reason why they had to take people off of OSX to make iOS 3. Effort and resources. It doesn't make very much money for them so there are not many resources working on redesigning the product would be my guess.

And it probably doesn't give Jony Ive a boner. :dong:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Digital_Jesus posted:

Don't second guess on account of me. I'll be running virtual instances of Server 2k8 / Win 7 / Win XP. Mines a giant testing box on the go.

Same, as long as I am going to be deving out on this thing, might as well give it all the ram it can take for my VMs.

Eelface posted:

Going to be ordering the base RMBP later tonight, was just curious is it hard to upgrade later it later with the fancy new insides? $200 seems like a lot was just curious if the DDR3 "L" is priced decent for double the ram

Its soldered on so, you get to make the choice now or never.

ptier fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 12, 2012

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Digital_Jesus posted:

At this point we don't even know if the memory is removable or if it's soldered to the board, but honestly for a 16GB kit of 1333, $200 isn't too bad.

Buying it yourself would cost you $100-$120, plus the time to take the fucker apart, and probably voiding your warranty if apple wants to keep these things non-user upgradable.

Have you used Fusion 4 yet? I haven't had the chance. Whats the max number of VMs you can have running at one time?

Yea, but I haven't been running lots of VMs. I remember back in the 3 days I had like 3-4 running at once without issue. Didn't need much more than that and it was poo poo slow with 4GB of ram and 500GB 5400RPM HD.

EDIT: from the article where I pulled that picture:

ExtremeTech posted:

Perhaps more importantly, this is the first time Apple has used an IPS display in a MacBook Pro. As a result, contrast ratios are significantly higher (892 vs. 587 for the 2011 MacBookPro), and black levels are down to 0.38 cd/m2 from 0.68. Viewing angles are also expected to be much improved. While the new MBP still has a glossy display, Apple has apparently reduced glare and reflections by up to 75%. Early reports suggest that the screen is almost matte-like in its reflectiveness, while still being glossy. (In the photographic world, we’d call this “luster,” I guess.) It will be interesting to see if the lower brightness combined with less glare make this laptop more or less usable outside.

The new Matte-Glossy hybrid. All ail our new pred-alien overlords.

ptier fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 12, 2012

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a recommended drive to upgrade a newer iMac with? I was thinking of using a WD Black 2TB. Is there a 'regular' 3TB drive that would be faster? Trying to keep it under $250

I would check on the HD, I remember that the internal drives for iMacs have a special cable and sensor that if a drive like it is not installed the fans will go crazy because they aren't getting info from the sensor.

Qaz Kwaz posted:

"Pulled the trigger" on the bumped up Macbook Air. I was hoping for Retina, but I'm guessing that's coming early next year. On the plus side I called in and got 8% off, a free Magic Mouse, and free expedited shipping. Weeeeeeee

UPDATE: My credit card that I used to order this stuff over the phone just experienced fraudulent charges. What suspicious timing. Thanks, Apple.

Apple loves to charge the full amount, and if that doesn't go through will break it into little amounts to get under the wire. It looks sketchy to some CCs.

My chase amazon card seems to never give 2 shits about apple purchases. I wonder why.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Next round of updates to that thing should be a lot better - improve graphics chip especially. I always find it easy to hold off on 1st gen Apple tech because the next revision blows it away.

Macbook Air, iPad, etc.

While I can agree with that for the most part, for me I have been on a MacBook Pro 13" and I really want dual monitors. I love that the screen is awesome when I am mobile, but at my desk, I will be dual monitoring and Air Displaying my iPad 3. Oh the real estate! This really does seem like an awesome desktop replacement with all the connectivity options and amazing screen when on the road.

Edit: Also StarCraft 2

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Does Apple not realize how over-priced the regular 15" is?

Take the base model 15" Pro up to 8GB, 256GB SSD, and the high-res screen = $2,499

Of course, you could do $1,799 + $50 (8GB) and $199 (256GB SSD on sale) + $100 for the screen updgrade, but you're still at $2,149

The 8GB/256GB MBR starts at $2,199 that makes no loving sense.

The 13" better still be $1199 when it comes out.

I think they know. These prices are definitely pushing you in a certain direction.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Forbidden Kiss posted:

Mine as well. I really hope it's a gross over-estimate.

It will be most likely, mine was a 5-7 business days till ship on Monday, it shipped today from China and will get to me by Tuesday says FedEx, I would wish that it would get to me by tomorrow but ya know, physics and all that.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

a bad poster yall posted:

Best places to sell a MBP in the UK?

SA-MART? Thats where all us US goons do it.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Vidmaster posted:

My 16 GB retina shipped from China today, so hopefully everyone else who ordered on Monday should be seeing theirs ship soon too!

Mine arrived today. I got 16GB of RAM and Ethernet dongle. Its at home. I am at work! GahhhhhH!

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Plorkyeran posted:

Mine arrived today and I work at home :smugdog:

The Migration Assistant eta is three hours so I haven't actually done anything with it other than admire how pretty the text is

Soon... soon.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
I'm just going to leave this here:

FYI that is 2 Dell 2408's, 1 24" cinema display and the internal display all at "1920x1200". :gizz:

The first mac that has out of the box 3-4 monitors that isn't a mac pro.

EDIT: I think I'll be running the 3 externals only because I bet with the retina the GPU is going to be cranking.

ptier fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 18, 2012

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Baron Dirigible posted:

The RMBP actually weighs slightly less than the 13" MBPs, which is a neat point of comparison. Though it might say more about the 13" being too heavy to begin with...

Also, maybe this is an obvious point, but I suspect the only reason Apple are keeping the 13" MBP at 1280x800 is so that the inevitable 13" Retina at 2560x1600 doesn't seem like a downgrade. I can't see them running the same resolution across the 13" and 15" Retina models, and the scaling would mean people coming from an Air could still run at 1440x900.

After coming from a 13" MBP, I love this MBPr because of the weight similarities. It's a little lighter, but it seems "bigger" so it feels much lighter by comparison. Also the screen is one of those "see it to believe it" kinda things. I have the res jacked to highest and I am never going back. First SSDs and now Retina forever!

I did love the 13" for its size though. The main reason why I got this was for the RAM and the fact that I can plug 3 monitors into it. The retina screen is just icing. Full desktop replacement + great screen on the go. Super satisfied.

EDIT: the only downsides are that it doesn't have the battery indicator lights or the sleeping white LED indicator. So there are no LEDs at all on this machine except for the monitor. I don't like that idea of just "trusting" Apple on it falling asleep I will admit. But we shall see how it goes. V2 might add that stuff back.

ptier fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 19, 2012

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

I doubt it. My Air has no sleeping LED lights and I have never had any sort of concern. Plus that pulsating is creepy and annoying in a dark room. I am pro (:haw:) no LED indicators.

I guess without a spinning HD and the proc clocking if it gets hot really means it doesn't matter. Makes sense I guess. This thing is still amazing and the thinner profile means my wrists aren't digging into the edge as much either.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Decius posted:

Do I understand it correctly, that the issues raised a few pages ago with lag and tearing on the demo units of the MBPR aren't visible with the ones people already reveived? Especially 1680x1050 is important for me, since that's a resolution I see me using the laptop quite often.

Also, has anyone who uses Citrix to log in to Windows servers received an MBPR? How well does it work, and in what resolution? That's also something that I will have to do regularly.

I have been pooping around the net with the highest res and I haven't noticed anything of the sort even on multiple monitors and using the built-in display. I think it is due to the image loaded on those guys or something.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

djkillingspree posted:

There was a 1.8GB or so update that was online when I got it home that people are claiming resolved the stuttering. I certainly haven't noticed it on my laptop, so I think it's been resolved.

Just saw the update myself. That is kinda big.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Are we talking yesterday's ML update? It also added PowerNap support.

Unfortunately I went back to Lion again this morning since I still have one little necessary app that won't launch in ML.

Nope I'm on Lion, It's a 1.2 GB update for MacBook Pro (Mid 2012).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

djkillingspree posted:

Several things (this, the lack of stock in Apple Stores, the delay on the Bootcamp drivers, etc.) makes me wonder if this was a somewhat... abrupt launch.

In other news, totally loving the retina MBP! It seems like with a super high DPI screen like this, it suffers a lot less from running at non-native resolutions in games, too. I was running D3 at 1440x900 and it looked much, much better than D3 running at 1440x900 on my older MBP (hi-res, so it's native res was 1680x1050)

I think the lack of stock is due to they didn't truly know what the demand was going to be. This isn't an iPhone where they know that they will need as many as possible.

The bootcamp drivers are because it isn't and will never be a priority.

The patch, there have been patches days after some previous mac launches, especially with new graphics cards. But there also was an update for the track pad which was interesting as well.

Abrupt and maybe they aren't as up to walking and chewing gum as it seemed, but they are getting there.

Listening to Hypercritical yesterday made the point for me with respect to display res:

"With the Retina display they can get away with murder when messing with the resolution." The pixels are so small it doesn't super matter if the lines are a little blurry.