Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I've got to disagree with the hate on the 11". I just bought my wife the new 11" 128 GB 4GB and this thing is great. It is like a folded up iPad and handles absolutely anything she throws at it. She and I both find it exactly the right fit for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I went from having an iMac + iPad and my wife had a Macbook Pro to an Macbook Air for me (sold both iMac and iPad). After the iPad 2 came out, we sold the Pro and I bought the iPad 2 and gave the MBA to my wife and I used the difference to put upgraded parts into an old gaming rig.

We needed more RAM in the Air since it was the 2010 Model but couldn't do anything with the ram, obviously, so we sold the Air for a 2011 Pro. Having a platter drive, though, stunk, so we bought a new Air, 11", 4GB model and are finally, very happy with this combo. It sucks we've constantly shuffled around hardware, but since the stuff is so new we didn't lose anything.

This sounds like what you are looking for, but I travel on a train to work and the MBA, as light and small as it is, just was no match for the portability and instant-tive-ness that you get from an iPad.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

SERIOUS posted:

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

This is why support surveys always use the things like 90th Percentile or 95th Percentile. There sometimes will be just one person with one case that sucks, in which their system fails and someone is left incredibly unhappy.

You should ask for a free iPod Touch for your troubles.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

shrike82 posted:

Still having a hard time deciding between the 11 & 13 MBA.

Battery life doesn't seem to be that big an issue (+- 30 minutes according to Anandtech) but my main concern is the screen size.

What do people who have them think? I'd mainly use it for casual web-browsing & emailing. I already have a desktop and an ipad but want something usable on a couch.

Get the higher 11", the one that comes with 4GB and 128GB. For couch surfing it is fantastic. Have you ever used an iPad on a couch, though? -- they were made just for this.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

snoozeallday posted:

gah, $350, for some reason i thought it was 2xxsomething.

Do they have student discounts for this stuff? lol.

They do have student discounts. Just look it up in the Educational Store.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Has he used it regularly with the non-SSD in there? If he gets all that crap with the OEM parts in there, I think he should continue to push the issue with them -- both on the phone and in the stores, escalating to supervisors/managers at the first go. That isn't like Apple to have so much resistance on something that has obviously been a problem.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Look at that tiny keyboard controlling everything... you should get a 30 inch keyboard too

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

notMordecai posted:

After doing a bit of math I realized that the EPP discount is blown out of the water due to the fact that Amazon doesn't charge tax (which I think comes to $200+ for two machines and two AppleCares). I could essentially pay less for two 13" base models than a higher end 11", since my gf was willing to cover the cost her AppleCare. Free two day shipping too.

Man Amazon owns owns owns.

I know you also said you wanted AppleCare, however if you look there are many Amazon Warehouse deals that are willing to sell you "Used - Like New" condition items for another $100-200 off. I purchased two Apple items from Amazon Warehouse at nearly 40% off the normal cost under "Used - Like New" condition and they were as if they were brand new, and I registered for them under the Apple Support Site so I had AppleCare no problem. The Warehouse deals are also 2 day shipping and tax free.

For Example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005CWIRPG/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1328038998&sr=8-4&condition=used 990.87 for a Used - Like new $1200 version of the 11 inch Air. Its in-line with the Apple refurb store prices.

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 31, 2012

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Phiberoptik posted:

My charger no longer works but im under AppleCare. Problem is, there are no Apple stores around. Should I take it to an Apple resaler or just call Applecare?

Start with AppleCare.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
The trackpad on my 2011 MacBook Air doesn't click as ... clicky as it used to. It seems like the clicks are a bit more stiff. Is there any chance that this needs to get checked out by a Fruit Stand? It still registers every click just fine... Could this be Battery enlarging or maybe just a piece of sand is stuck in there?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Replacing the Trackpad on a MBA is pretty difficult to replace on your own.. no? You guys are like Authorized repair people, yeah? I mean walking into a Fruit Stand and saying "The trackpad isn't as clicky as it used to be" may not warrant any service right?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

My work gave me a $2000 credit to get a new MBP, is there any point in waiting for a refreshment? I heard they might have retina screens which scares me about battery life, but maybe the video cards will be boosted to handle the extra detail? I have a hard time justifying the extra cash I'll have to spend outside my credit to upgrade the video card from 512 to 1 gig, but I want it because I occasionally DJ with music videos and that shits on the CPU.

Do you have any need to get the MBP before a certain point? If yes, you may need to get the laptop now, if no, and you can deal with whatever you have now until May-December (whenever they do refreshes, if at all*), then feel free to wait. Ivy Bridge is most certainly going in the new lineup of Macbooks and you've got at least until April to wait before anything.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
e: double post

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

AzCoug posted:

Would you recommend using a Time Capsule as both a back up AND I want to dump my whole hard drive on there through the initial set-up and then wipe my hard drive clean so I can start fresh with an empty hard drive (it is currently completely full).

Or would a regular external hard drive be better suited for this?

My only scare is that as the Time Capsule fills up, I understand that the oldest stuff gets deleted to make room for the new backups. I'm just scared I might lose stuff that I may need as it gets full.

But at the same time, it would take a LONG time to fill up a 2TB TC. By that time I probably wouldn't care about the old stuff...

Any thoughts? Thanks!

It can be difficult to separate the data from the time capsule and say a time machine backup. You can't partion a TC without some interesting steps. So I'd recommend an external hard drive. If you want you can buy an Airport Extreme and attach the drive to it. That way you can partition the disk however you want and then put data on one volume, and backups on another.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Speaking of SSDs, the only way it seems to get a dual drive into an iMac is to buy an iMac that has the SSD + HDD combo in it. However paying an extra $600 for a 256GB SSD seems a bit ... absurd, especially when it takes the $1499 21.5" to $2099.

Is it possible to do like an OptiBay thing within the iMac? Has anyone done that and is willing to shed some insight on difficulty, problems?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

MrEnigma posted:

There is a spot and a connector for it, just not a bracket. Some tape easily solves that. Sits right under the cd-rom drive.

It seems like this: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iMac-Intel-21-5-Inch-EMC-2428-Dual-Hard-Drive-Kit/6434/1

Guide shows the "Dual Drive Kit" installation, you make it sound like its a simple as sliding your SSD under the optical drive with some tape and hoping it holds .. is it really that simple?

e: or even this guide: http://blog.chargedpc.com/2011/05/2011-imac-ssd-install-guide.html

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 19, 2012

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

This is why I ended up getting a Mini instead of an iMac. (Well, that and I also already had a 24" LED Cinema Display.)

Well, I'm going to be waiting for the iMac refresh (which I am guessing will be around May, but I have no idea). However with the delay of the Ivy Bridge processors until "After June" I have no idea when they're going to be refreshed. They may just go with more powerful Sandy Bridge processors and maybe release higher-res displays.. maybe 64 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD standard in their base model and 128 GB + 1 TB in their higher models. I'm really eager to see what they are doing with the line this year.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
In fact the iMacs are already touting the best models of the Intel Sandy Bridge processors. The rumors of the iMac getting a redesign bodes well for them to keep some other things constant, like the processor & ram, but boast about the newest parts of their redesign. Here's hoping to the standard SSD + HDD combo (so they can claim the iMac gets "instant on"), USB 3.0 maybe, "iTV/Apple TV" Built in.

But really who knows they're just hopes and dreams

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Coq au Nandos posted:

I didn't know about that delay. I've just decided to jump into my first ever Mac with a Mac Mini but I thought I'd wait for the 2012 revision. If it's going to be much later than June I might not bother waiting and just grab one now.

This is why you try to take some of those articles with a grain of salt.

If the iPad is announced on March 7th and released similar to last year, one week later like on March 16th... My guess is they will let the iPad 3 take the spotlight for at least a month. That puts it at April 16th. April 16th is a few weeks after the Ivy Bridge processors are rumored to be shipping.. Lining up the iMac refresh perfectly around where they had it last year -- May 3rd. If I were to try to pinpoint a date for an iMac refresh if they are only upgrading internals, then I'd say at or around May 8th.

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 20, 2012

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Coq au Nandos posted:

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but does the Mac Mini generally get refreshed at the same time as the iMac?

In the OP there's a link to the Mac Buyer's Guide from Mac Rumors, here's what the current release history is of the Mac Mini:
code:
 CURRENT: 215 days
 07/2011  400 days
 06/2010  238 days
 10/2009  231 days
 03/2009  574 days
 08/2007  335 days
So as you can see sometimes they update it within 9 months, other times, nearly a year and a half. It goes along with the SWSP said about that they may consider discontinuing it. However their server Mac Mini is pretty nice, and I bet its a better selling server than their Mac Pro currently.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Picked up my iMac without having to make an ordeal out of it. They swapped the glass and the display on their own when they realized that the glass wouldn't fix it. It's as good as new.

Now to gut it again and put my SSD back. :v:

Do you dual-drive your iMac or simply just have the SSD in there?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Since someone asked in a PM what I was using for NAS/DAS stuff, here's what I currently own.

Plugged into my AEBS for Time Machine backups of my iMac and MacBook Air.

I also have a grip of 2.5" external hard drives that I use for whatever temporary task at hand.

What size SSD did you put in the iMac... Do You have a windows partition and find you have enough space for everything but media?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

256GB Apple OEM (Toshiba) SSD from eBay. It was a new pull from a MBP so I had to provide my own 3.5" adapter but otherwise it's perfect. Toshiba isn't the fastest SSD, but compared to my Intel drives I don't really notice a difference so synthetic benchmarks be damned.

No Boot Camp because I have a mini-ITX gaming PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 plugged into the iMac for gaming purposes. Also my Aperture and iTunes libraries currently reside on the SSD and they're rather large.

Yeah 256GB sounds the most optimal, and I'm planning on getting an iMac for home next refresh. However a 128GB drive is all I can afford if 256GB drives stay in the $500 range via Apple. I also must have a windows on that SSD for working at home occasionally. Seems with both OS X and Windows on a 128 SSD it may be limited to the actual things that I can include other than the OSes.

I'll have to weigh my options of storage vs. cost. NAS or DAS sounds like also a viable option

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

illcendiary posted:

I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to networked storage, what sort of speeds am I looking at when hosting my media over this as opposed to say, a second hard drive on a desktop or so?

You are limited to the network, or cable that you are attached to. Wireless N is theoretical 300 Mbps, but you'll probably get 200ish, and that's about 25 MBps.

If wireless, you'd be transferring at around 50 seconds per GB.

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 24, 2012

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
The newest versions of Airport Extremes can do the gigabit wired connections. Which can give you that 100 MBps. I'm not sure if older versions of the AEBS have the gigabit wired connections.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Binary Badger posted:

With that custom title, and with not even one major rumor site touting that date, we can safely assume that's bullshit. Or, if you go by what Steve used to say, 'all rumors are true..' ..in some alternate universe.

April 29th is a Sunday, no chance. I'd guess if there is no snags on any of their hardware changes that we'd see it around May 1st or May 8th.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
The only reason not to that I can think of, is that once the new MBAs come out (this summer probably), the price on 2011 refurbs will go down even more than they are now.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Boris Galerkin posted:

This might be a stupid question but could someone explain screen resolution to me? How does the iPad (and iPhone for that matter) double in resolution and still show everything at the same "size?" If I change my monitor's resolution then everything gets bigger/smaller, and I can't imagine everything on my 13" MBP doubling down in size if the resolution get's doubled cause then I can't read anything.

The assets are four times are large. So even though you have four times as many pixels, the images/icons that you see are also four times are large. They remain to look the same this way. However when you increase to that many pixels, you allow for greater detail.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Binary Badger posted:

So it looks like USB 3.0 will be an integrated part of the Ivy Bridge chipset, and Intel's chips were benched as being better than most other solutions. Now this USB 3.0 enclosure I bought for $15 bucks can finally prove itself.. in two months maybe.

Yeah apparently according to http://www.applelaunchtimer.com/?imac and macbuyer's guide the iMac is the next up in just under two months. I'd love to see USB3.0

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Bob Morales posted:

It would also kill any consumer Thunderbolt drive purchases, and a bunch of the business ones.

Do they make RAID boxes you can connect via USB?

USB 3.0 is theoretical like.. 5 Gbps? I'd still like to see Thunderbolt make way into the mainstream.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

canada jezus posted:

Wait i thought apple were notoriously tight lipped about refresh dates. Did that change since i stopped keeping up with mac news or are those just guesses? (cept for the ipad obviously)

Yeah, that site's countdowns (applelaunchtimer.com) get more and more accurate as the time gets closer and closer. I'm guessing it combines the 1-year refresh date with rumors about hardware to make an educated guess. It had the iPad announcement date on there spot on about a month beforehand.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

CortezFantastic posted:

I looked at the last 5 pages and didn't see anything, but I'd like to know if I should wait on getting a Macbook Pro. I would like one soon, but there is going to be a new one released in the very future I guess I can wait.

We are probably* 2-4 months away from a Macbook Pro refresh. It could happen tomorrow though!

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

thegasman2000 posted:

What is the cheapest model you recommend? the 2009 or 2010?

2010. It was the first units after their redesign, they are running C2Ds (the 2011 models run the i5s). It's the first models that really changed their macbook market (killed the white macbooks).

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I'd get a iMac 2011 refurb right now if there wasn't the possibility of USB 3.0 being supported in iMac 2012. The transfer rate between USB2.0 and 3.0 is incredibly worth waiting for, especially since I will want a bunch of direct attached storage to go with this.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

movax posted:

I am fairly confident the next MacBook Pro will not so much be a MacBook Pro as it will be a TabletBook Pro(TM).

Seriously though, if there is a redesign, I'm eager to see what it is. I've got my dreamlist of features as I'm sure we all do.

I'd imagine a thinner, optical-drive-less Macbook Pro, but not Wedge like the Air. Also guessing that MBPs will only come in 15 & 17 Inch, but include by default 128 GB Flash + 500 GB HD. So you'll have a SSD only, wedge MBA in 11, 13, and 15 inch models, and then a MBP thats thinner than its previous generation, but with more storage, RAM and graphics options, at 15 and 17 inch. All laptops with the standard "HD" resolutions.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
All 2010 iMacs have left the Apple refurb store. This is a very good sign that we could be looking at a refresh relatively* soon. The most tell tale sign is when the new current-gen products go > 24h shipping on the apple store.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

how!! posted:

Just spent $2500 on a macbook 15" yesterday (I put in an order). If they announce the new redesign soon, can I exchange mine for the new model?

If it is in the next 14 days then yes.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

triplexpac posted:

I have an iMac from 2007, and I'm looking to upgrade. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? I'm not really that tech savvy when it comes to hardware.

The most intensive stuff I run on my computer is Photoshop. I'm a graphic designer, so I do a lot of high-rez work. CS5 is obviously running pretty slow on my old iMac, so I think anything would be a nice boost.

I was looking at this, it looked like an inexpensive upgrade: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC510LL/A

But I'm not sure. Does anyone have any advice? Let me know if you need any more info.

If you can splurge another $150 you can get the more current version of that, which has the quad-core i5, and a better graphics.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC813LL/A

However, iMacs are probably going to be refreshed in the next month or two, if you can wait to see what they come out with. If anything it'd make all the refurbs a bit cheaper too.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

triplexpac posted:

I just don't want to get too far down the slippery slope of "well if I'm already spending 150 extra for that, why not spend an extra 300 for this? and then an extra 100 for THIS?" haha

Yeah I know the slippery slope feeling. However, you should know that RAM is easily replaceable/upgradeable and you should never buy it from apple.com. Also with Refurbs, you cannot customize them like the BTO-new options. So what you buy is what you get. The hard-drive is "relatively" easy to swap out, if you need something larger than 1 TB, or an OEM SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

triplexpac posted:

One other question: from a pure price-to-power standpoint, you're going to get a better computer out of an iMac than a comparably priced Apple laptop right?

Yes. There are two versions of the Sandy Bridge Quad-Cores. The laptops use the low-power consumption "Mobile" versions, and the iMacs use the "Desktop" versions.

However, the difference is only about 10% in some cases. Here's a nice link to the benchmarks of the hardware:

http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/