Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

ashgromnies posted:

Does the Apple store have a 14 day no questions asked 100% return policy on open computers? I could always just do that then repurchase. I only really need it for the next week then I could wait until the next revision.

I'm trying to use Migration Assistant to bring the stuff from my Time Machine backup to one of those hackintosh VMs running on my desktop first... Need my files for a project I'm launching :(

It just can't be physically damaged to return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
The no restocking fee thing is relatively new. Sometime in the past 12 to 18 months.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I'm going to be doing the dual drive setup in a Mac Mini that I am getting. I know iFixit has a kit to do this, but the kit costs $70 and I think all I really need is the cable (I have all the Torx Drivers). Is there anyone that has done the dual drive setup that can shed some light on what I'd need other than the tools?

Looking at the guide, it looks like the 2nd drive just .. sits on top of the first drive. There's only one mount point. So I'm more wondering why you have to do such a large teardown when it doesn't look like you are able to do anything other than sit the other drive on top?

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 6, 2012

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

japtor posted:

Well the kit comes with particular stuff that fits in the mount points, and to secure the drive you have to pull the whole thing out. Otherwise you just have some ~1/4" sized holes in a loose frame for the second drive. The way I did it was to stick some sticky dot pads in a few spots along the frame and case (or SSD itself, I forget), then basically jammed the SSD in there...for all I know those pads are all melted and possibly loving things up :ohdear:, but it's been working continuously since last year so I guess it's fine.

As for the rest of the installation, I just followed the iFixit guide up to the point where you pull out the board and original drive. From there you just kind of be careful with whatever little connectors that may get pulled and figure out how to shove the extra drive into the little opening you now have. Just keep in mind the steps of everything and don't lose track of stuff.

I see, so the original drive is sitting on top of the mount hardware and you put the second drive underneath that, but the only way to do that is to remove it. If I were to do this I'd like to put the original drive in that position and just sit the SSD on top. I'll have to see if that's doable.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

japtor posted:

Top is the bottom and the bottom is the top depending on which way the mini is oriented :v: (the "upper" and "lower" designations were actually switched between this and the previous one, I have no clue which is which right now)

I put the SSD in that spot (upper when the mini is right side up) cause I figure if were ever loose (cause the lack of actual mounts), it'd be fine vs a platter drive which could potentially get hosed up if I moved the machine or something.

True... However once you "jammed" it in there it would be tough to remove if you needed to have it serviced... Yeah?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I ordered the cable off of this site: http://www.impactcomputers.com/922-9560.html

It's the cheapest site I've found for that part, and I really do hope that that was the part I needed. It is the same part from the iFixit guide. (I'm not sure what the differences is between the upper and lower cables.)

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I found a guide that says that part does work... But really, who knows. Worst case scenario is I'd have to get another cable. I'll call it an adventure into Mac deconstruction.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
USB 2.0 transfers at about 20 MB/s; slower if there's a large total number of files (like in a backup). So Time Machine is nice and won't matter since it'll just backup when it can and you don't think about it.

Transferring files between machines is also fine, as long as you understand you will transfer at about 1 GB per minute.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
SSD install successful into my Mac Mini. This thing screams, and the Mac enables just so many other features on my iPad and iPhone. A bit of double stick tape keeps that SSD locked onto to the frame of the mini.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Yes a wiireless keyboard and trackpad will most likely be required. If you have an iPhone or iPad you can use your phone/pad via VNC screen sharing to access as well.

Finally, if you are going to burn 100% of the CPUs most of the time, just get AppleCare for your mini (like $100) and you'll be covered for 3 years of ape poo poo CPU usage, in case a core does burn out or something.

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 16, 2012

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Not to mention, get that MacBook that you really think fits your needs, and give it the two week trial run. If after 5 days it hasn't given you what you thought... Just take it back.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

PlayStationGayStation posted:

I have a mid-2010 mini with 2g ram and the stock harddrive. It's not that old but it chugs. I'd definitely recommend something that you can upgrade. I really want to put a SSD into my mini, but getting to the harddrive is a pain in the rear end.

I got my 2011 mini with my SSD in, and the machine is probably the best mac I've used. It cannot be stressed enough at how large of a bottle neck a <=7200 RPM drive is for your operating system.

I have used an iMac, Macbook Air, and Mac Mini in the past two years, trying to find out what really makes the experience for me. You can have the most powerful quad core processor but your machine is still going to take 60 seconds to boot.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Bob Morales posted:

Microcenter ready to put new Macs on the shelves?

AppleLaunchTimer suggests that we're two weeks away from today from the MBP & iMac refresh. Take it for what its worth, but it was spot on for the announcement and release date of the iPad 3, and it had that timer on its site for two months prior.

Edit: And it makes sense, last year's iMacs were released in the first week of May too.

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 24, 2012

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
And remember that as more and more apps convert to 64 bit, the less good hyperthreading does. Getting those true desktop quality quad core processors are going to be big.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

pipebomb posted:

Have you guys seen any Mini 2011 kits for a 2nd hard drive cheaper than this OWC set? http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMM11D2/

The cable itself I havent found cheaper than $30. That can be found at http://www.impactcomputers.com/076-1391.html. That one is $23 + $8 shipped.

The only things you truly need are the T6, T8, hex drivers and the cable itself. The screw and garments are only if you want to actual mount it to the bay that's included, and I just used two pieces of double sided tape. With both hard drives in there, they basically lock each other in the case pretty snug, and if your mini isn't going anywhere, you're not going to have to worry about serious mounting.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
They released new Pros and iMacs prior to the Lion launch last year. As the launch date approached they did the "buy a Mac and get lion for free when it comes out!" promotion.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Shmoogy posted:

And it was probably a pain in the rear end and caused a lot of extra applecare/genius time to take care of everybody who called and complained/asked to be upgraded.

Either Tim wants to present ML with new things, or they have something big planned.

Iirc, you just entered in your serial online and got a code to download it from the App Store.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Or, we're going to install the operating system on built in 64-128GB SSDs and give you a spinning drive for storage, standard across all laptops.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Sil posted:

Got my 11" Air refurb and am loving it :D

Two things I am wondering about : is TRIM enabled by default in it? My google-fu doesn't seem strong enough to clarify that. Secondly it runs pretty warm. Stays around 50C when browsing the web, goes up to the high 60s-70s when I watch video, got up to high 90s when I ran SC2 just to see if I could. Specifically the CPU temperature goes to that level, the enclosure stays fine and only a bit warm. I'm mainly wondering if the video temperature is normal(obviously it'll go crazy if I try to game on it; I kinda wished I'd gone for $100 extra and gotten the 13", but I think in the long term having an extra disincentive from abusing it with games is a Good Thing).

e. it's also bloody warm in Ohio, 30C past couple of days. So that might have something to do with it.

Yes -- Trim is enabled by default.

Don't worry about the temperature. First there are no fans inside the Air (well there may be one or two) but I think the aluminum case acts as the heat sink. If the core temperature gets too hot, the machine will turn itself off.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I really can't seem waiting til June for a release of something. With the fall release of a new product (iTV, iPad Nano, whatever).. they're going to need to release things every two months to make sure one doesn't impede on another. For example, iPads in March, MBPs and iMacs in May, MBA and Mac Minis in July, iPhone 5 in September, and then something new in November.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

NESguerilla posted:

I know I am not breaking any new ground by saying this, but Apples policy of announcing new poo poo right before it comes out is total crap. Its just so obnoxious sitting around without my new computer gambling on whether or not websites have predicted the new releases correctly. The stupidest thing is that if they do release a new one within a month of when I buy mine, I'm just gonna send it back at their expense and upgrade. I'm sure a shitload of people do that every time they release a new product and it all could be avoided by just letting their customers be informed.

It's a like a big STFU to a customer who wants to throw $1500 bucks at them asap.

The problem is that if they announce "We'll have new MBPs in a month" it completely shits on their current MBP market -- I mean why would you buy one today if you *KNEW* it was happening in one month. Their current stance of, "What we've got is what we've got" can be annoying, but it can make sense in some ways.

Really the old saying, "If you need one, buy one, and if you don't need one, then wait" has always applied.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Strong Sauce posted:

I've been following this thread for the past couple of weeks but I don't think I've seen any articles/rumors about this: how likely will Apple announce a refresh for the Mac Minis? Seems like the big announcement (if rumors are true) would be new retina display Macbooks/iMacs. I know no one knows anything for certain but has anyone heard anything about them getting a refresh?
https://www.applelaunchtimer.com is putting the MacBook Pros and iMacs at WWDC, and MacBook Airs and Mac Minis in August.

It makes sense, June for one launch, August for next, and that gives 2 months until the new iPhone launch. Two months in between each launch.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

What is this a picture of?

E: Oh, the Intel Graphics 4000... I guess it means that the new 13 inch Pro.

loving Yuck, they're still making GBS threads 5400 RPM drives in those machines.

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 5, 2012

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Shmoogy posted:

Still has a dvd drive? So all it is, essentially, is the new motherboard and processor (which includes USB 3).

A little disappointing that they haven't ditched the drive for extra battery/smaller body.

Again there are things that go along with this that say "this will be the low end model, and maybe a $999 Pro" or something. Where the 15 and 17 inch get a better form factor, and more "premium" features.

And its all rumors.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

thegasman2000 posted:

So the Air replaced the Macbook. Then they nerf the Macbook Pro and make that the new Macbook... This makes no sense. I just wanted a pro with no DVD SSD as standard and a retina display. or at least matching the Air's screen.

In Apple's mind, however, they can offer this to you right now, as of this moment, with the setup that you talk about (and they'll throw in the DVD player for free).

Your issue that its too expensive, right?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Wait a minute wait a minute... Macbook Airs do not have traditional SSDs in them. You are not going to be able to buy a 256GB SSD on ebay and pop it in there. No chance. It uses the non-enclosed memory right into the motherboard.

Here's the way MBA's SSDs look:

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 5, 2012

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
AppleInsider is dropping the rumor that there will be 14 new Mac models announced next Monday.

If I were to guess, I think that any Mac machine that doesn't use a mobile processor (Everything except Macbook Airs and Mac Minis) will see an announcement if this is the case. Or it could just be loving everything.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/06/part_numbers_suggest_apple_may_refresh_most_of_mac_lineup_at_wwdc.html

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 6, 2012

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Unless they're planning on revamping the Mac Pro at the same time.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
The current 15 inch Pro has 14.4 x 9.8 x 0.95 inch dimensions.

The new one in that sticker has 13.5 x 9.2 x 0.74 inch dimensions.

That puts it about 25% thinner, and about 7% smaller in width and height too.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
That's a workaround for the problem, not a solution.

The Wifi on my Mac Mini has had zero problems. I leave the machine on 24/7 and its connected 24/7. I'm not sure I have a solution about your iMacs sleep-mode, however you can turn off it's ability to sleep and just have the display turn off (which it sounds like it does). It could be a problem with your router (dropping connections that are idle), Mac Hardware problem, or a software problem.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

King of Gulps posted:

I had a similar issue with wifi; before I said screw it and ran Ethernet, the easiest way to get it working was to make some (any) change to the DNS settings (like literally just adding or deleting 8.8.8.8 would get it working again) :confused:

You could run a cronjob on the system to ping https://www.google.com or something once every minute. That would maybe keep your connection alive all the time.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I know this is the hardware thread, however with the updates on Monday, do we figure they may release Mountain Lion at the same time?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
No updates to iMacs, Mac Minis, or Mac Pros.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

wintermuteCF posted:

Considering a 13" MBA, only need the basic storage and processor. Can anyone give me acompelling reason to bump up the RAM to 8gb? I don't intend to do any serious gaming or virtualization, and this is definitely a secondary machine (I have a powerful desktop for those things).

4 GB is going to be just fine for what you do. I have a Mac Mini that I put in my own 8 GB in and I'm only using 25% of it at any time.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

a bad poster yall posted:

IDK. I still can;t decide but after using the retina model I thought I'd cry while using the AIr. I was surprised to find I didn't actually mind the difference that much..

The Air has a higher DPI than the non-retina Pros, so they are nicer to look at.

What you have to judge is if you need the professional machine for what you are using it for. The quad-core, more memory, better grapics that costs an extra $1000 vs. dual core, lighter, thinner.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Well the $799 version of the Mini is a pretty nice bang, since it has the dedicated (albeit, 256MB) graphics card. However no bigger upgrade to the mini is possible unless you have an SSD in there. I bought the $599 version for $499 and put my own SSD, and 8 GB of RAM in it for a total cost of about $650, and this thing is the best machine for everything. This is, however, the minimum gaming or actual power-user machine.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

a bad poster yall posted:

Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Coda, browsing, watching movies and that's about it. I don't do much photo editing anymore and nothing involving video. Also pretty much anything I get is going to be a huge upgrade on the specs I have atm.
First, you are going to want to get an Air. An 8 GB option may make you happy if you are using Photoshop and Illustrator often, but really you're not going to need the raw processing power and graphics throughput that the rMBP is offering.

Remember you get 14 whole days to give it everything you got, and really decide if you want to go higher, take it back and go higher.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Galg posted:

I ordered an AirPort Express with the Air that I just bought because I would lose my ability to use ethernet. I thought the AirPort Express could handle a 100Mb internet connection(I don't know anything about routers really, and I figured I just needed one with 802.11n), but it seems as if its not able to(It seems to max out at about 55Mb/s). Should it be able to handle a 100Mb connection?

To macs it should be able to handle easily 100 Mb+. I get 450 Mbps from my airport extreme to my Mac Mini. It seems iOS devices only peak at around 60 Mbps.

Just checked and I'm at this much right now from my Extreme:

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 24, 2012

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Express not Extreme. And it wouldn't surprise me if the less expensive guts in the Express can't handle a 100 Mbps Internet connection.

I guess you're right, I just read the following:

quote:

The new router still supports dual-stream 802.11n wireless networking, meaning the router can broadcast signal in two spatial streams on each of its two frequency bands. Each stream of the Wireless-N standard can handle a bandwidth of 150Mbps, making the AirPort Express effectively an N600 router (one that offers up to 300Mbps on each band). There's no support for the latest 802.11ac, and also no support for the three-stream, 450Mbps 802.11n, available in N900 routers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I'd like to just say that I am very jealous of your 100 Mb/s connection.