Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
I have a 15" rMBP and it probably isn't a "problem" but it does concern me a little. When playing games, the laptop does get quite hot but the fans never spin up faster than ~2000 RPM. Checking the temp with istat menus the GPU Die would be around 75 degrees and CPU Die around 70 degrees. Is this normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

CPU's get warm, that's the way that it works. Your laptop also won't let the chip get too hot - it will turn the fans on at a speed appropriate for the temperature, and if it's still too hot, it will downclock the CPU.

That said you have at least another 20 degrees in temp and 4000 RPM worth of fan speed left, you're operating in a perfectly normal range.

Thanks, Bob. Was just a little concerned because other laptops would have spun up the fans by then.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Quick question, I brought with me to school the charger for my rMBP 15" with me but am using the 11" air. Can I safely charge the air with it? I think this mentioned before but can't remember.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Thanks guys! Just wanted to make sure.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Just had my rMBP sent in for repairs today, the fans wouldn't spin up no matter how hot it got. Every test passed but the fans just wouldn't spin up. SMC reset didn't do anything, reformat fresh install didn't do anything. As its my main computer, I hope it comes back soon. They're recommending a replacement of the fans. Anyone else run into similar problems? If so what was the cause?

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

Caged posted:

I'd find it hard to believe it was the fans (plural so I'm assuming 15") if they both stopped spinning up - it's not exactly a common part to fail. I think it's going to be whatever tells the fans to spin up that sits between the SMC software and the power connectors on the fans. So it could be a new logic board.

I heard the fan on my 11" MBA spin up today for the first time ever after Mail.app crashed. It looks to small to have one hidden inside.

Hm, I'm assuming a logic board replacement would take much longer than a just replacing the fans and sensors. Was hoping to get it back in 3 days rather than 5. Oh well...

And yes it's a 15".

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Out of curiosity, what exactly is being replaced when the logic board is replaced in a rMBP? Since everything is soldered on, doesn't that mean the whole motherboard? Or am I mistaken in that?

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

Yeah it's almost the entirety of the computer. Probably not some of the fans, the keyboard, trackpad and battery but at this point it's almost everything else.

empty baggie posted:

The logic board is the motherboard.

The logic board gets replaced. That would also include the RAM and GPU since they are a part of the board, but that's pretty much it.

I thought as much. Thanks for the info.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
I'm planning to get a Mac mini for development (Xcode for iOS and Eclipse for android). But I also want to be able to run about 4 VMs (dev servers) at once with VMWare Fusion. Will a fully spec'd out mini with fusion drive be able to handle this at reasonable speed?

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
What about the fusion drive? Will that be enough or should I go with the SSD?

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Well I could get the SSD but I wanted the space that the fusion drive offered. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
So I decided to upgrade my Mac mini late 2012 workstation at work this weekend, it's one of those server Mac minis that come with two 1TB laptop spiny drives. I bought a Samsung 128GB 850 pro with the intention of replacing the main drive with it and keep the second drive as storage.

I opened up the mini and removed the main drive and installed the SSD. Booted up and ran Internet recovery to reinstall OS X but the drive wasn't detected. It didn't show up in Disk Utility, both the SSD and the hard drive. So I opened it up again and checked the connections and gave it another try, same result. Decided to put it back the way it was before and the system booted up fine but the second hard drive wasn't detected. I went into Disk Utility to see what was wrong and got the message that the fusion drive needed repair.

I'm guessing when I put the SSD and hard drive in together the system thought I was trying to make a fusion drive? Anyway, how do I go about installing the SSD as the main drive and the second hard drive as a secondary storage drive?