Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Animal posted:

I had the screen on my rMBP replaced. Now that I have it back, I notice the MagSafe plug is much, much stronger. It easily needs about 5 times as much strength to disconnect, as it was very weak before and would easily fall off. Now I actually have to bend the plug down in order to disconnect it, rather than pull because its so strong I have to grip the laptop itself and pull hard. like it more now.

So, is the magnet on the laptop itself, or on the plug? Cause I didn't send my cable back to Apple, just the laptop. Is it something they could have done, or is my plug magically stronger?

If it was sent to the repair facility, they just replace literally everything and anything that could possibly not be 100% perfect. They probably replaced the MagSafe board (basically just that port and the circuitry/cabling to connect it to the logic board). They wouldn't have realigned the magnet and realigning the display wouldn't have moved the magnet that much and made that much of a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Animal posted:

Thats awesome. Thanks for the info. Its reassuring that they went over everything and maybe found and replaced weak links that would have failed down the line.

So it was sent out? It should have come with a piece of paper that says APPLECARE on it. That piece of paper should have every single part they replaced on it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

Anybody using a Mac with a Fusion drive? Can I turn it off relatively easily these days?

Why in the world would you turn off a fusion drive?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

If you have CoconutBattery you can compare it online at http://online.coconut-flavour.com/ they have a large database which could do better than us of telling you how it is.

Having said that, advice for maximising battery life? Some stuff I've read has said that you should let it charge up and then unplug, use it down to 50-60% and then charge it again. Good advice?
http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

I leave my mac plugged in most of the time and after a couple years, Coconut Battery places me at 101% for my battery's age. :shrug:

When was the last time you fully cycled your battery? If you fully cycle it once I image that will change quickly.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Cyne posted:

How bad is it to leave a recent (2011) MBP running hot for long periods of time? I'm a 3D artist, and I often have renders going for many hours. I'd really like to leave it running overnight, but I don't feel great about the machine running that hot for that long, so generally I just do it in chunks of a few hours at a time. I'm saving up for a new Mac Pro, but, for now, this is what I have... if any of you could put my mind at ease (or chastise me for melting my computer from the inside out), I'd appreciate it!

You may decrease the overall life of the battery. Unless it's crazy heat with temp warnings I wouldn't be too concerned.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Anyone know what the Xeon roadmap is like? I'm trying to read up on it but I'm confused as balls by Intel's naming and such. I'm trying to figure out if there will be a Mac Pro refresh this year.

Considering they're still difficult to get and it took them how many years?

I probably wouldn't count on it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

NOTinuyasha posted:

Will an early '13 MBPr be able to run two 27" TB Cinema displays and one older model 27" mini DP at the same time? Does the old 27" mini DP model look identical to the TB model? I need confirmation of this before I go make some bad decisions on Craigslist. And yeah I'm aware I'll need an HDMI to mini displayport adapter if it were to work at all.

Will it work physically? Yes, but if it's a base level 13" early Rmbp running 4 displays total might be pretty slow, especially with integrated graphics.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

NOTinuyasha posted:

I meant early 2013. It's got the 1GB 650M. I also don't run it with the retina display open when I'm at my desk. I was actually meaning to get an iMac but my older MBP went through so many motherboards the Apple store gave me this top-of-the-line replacement for free like a few months ago. The retina display is very nice but I it spends most of it's time closed at my desk.

You can't chain a mini displayport through the thunderbolt ports on the TB display according to google.

No you can not. One mdp in each thunderbolt and 1 hdmi. It will definitely work.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

quote:

How many external monitors can I run late 2012 RMBP Apple Support Communities : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5462022?tstart=0

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

My 2013 13" rmpb has a series of scratches and chips on the screen. Can the glass surface be replaced seperately from the LCD or am I looking at a top case replacement to fix the issue?

Top case is what holds your keyboard. You'll need an entire new display clamshell (whole LCD panel/glass/aluminum backing). This will not be covered by AppleCare or limited warranty, you will be paying out of pocket.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

If everything works do not take it apart. The answer to whether it's internally damaged by the beer is: No. It works.

This is very wrong.

If a lot of beer was spilled on it, then yes their is likely liquid damage. The second the liquid comes in contact with electrified components (they are always electrified when a battery is plugged in) damage is done. It happens instantly and just because the machine is working now doesn't mean it will forever.

It may experience weird issues later on, it may not. Liquid damage can sometimes not display an issue until something major is done like an OS update, or it may never show at all. That being said, don't bother opening it. You won't be able clean or fix anything, and you may just break something else. Just back up everything all the time and wait until it kicks.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

kloa posted:

Mirroring, specifically.

My parents were over at my apartment this weekend and I was mirroring my phone to the aTV while we browsed real estate in the area, rather than having to fumble a laptop around the couch trying to look at pictures. It was nice, but could be better with the laptop mirroring.

Beautiful thing about computers vs phones is multitasking.

Don't mirror, do airplay extended then full screen safari to the secondary display. No scaling on either side and will look a whole lot better.

With regards to building computers before, comp sci and etc, laptops are a different beast, MacBooks especially. They require crazy specific and usually apple created tools to take apart, and there's lots of very specific little tricks to take stuff apart/put stuff back together that you'd never figure out on your own. Certain stuff, like Mbp (not retina or air) batteries and standard hdds/memory are super easy, but once you get passed that it's not usually worth it. Take the advice here of everyone and don't bother opening it.

Just keep in mind that MacBook now officially has no warranty, even if you have AppleCare and you can get no repairs done by apple with the exception of a full liquid damage repair. From this point on that machine should never ever be in a state other then 100% backed up or your girlfriend will hate you someday when it fails.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

spoon daddy posted:

I stealth editted to suggest that it was about a 40% drain after an hour or so.

How's your battery life otherwise? Maybe your battery is failing? Otherwise like starwars said it could be MagSafe board, or even a bad MagSafe adapter/the wrong wattage.

Take it to the fruit stand, they have a specific diagnostic that will test for those specific things. Bring your MagSafe adapter with you.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

revmoo posted:

Is there a higher-wattage adapter you can buy to prevent this problem from happening? If not then it seems like kind of a scandal to me.

Did you even read the post above yours?

Even if a higher wattage adapter existed, this would make the battery have difficulty charging with the correct adapter.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

flavor posted:

Still I gotta say while what has been described may be expected behavior by Apple, but it's certainly not common knowledge of average users. So I wouldn't be too surprised that if someone who just learns of this and then also gets told "If you need a render box, buy a bloody workstation" can be surprised and a little upset. There are ways of telling people things without painting them as idiots for not knowing some esoteric detail.
The answer and supporting evidence was given in clear, concise, and polite detail. This was waved off by the others as "not enough." Someone even said that you may not see it as a major issue but I do, even though these people clearly have no real understanding of why this happens, any experience with products doing this regularly, and no professional background on the topic. In addition to this, they directly ignored someone who does have professional background as well as countless examples of this being a known thing across most apple devices.

You may have never seen it, but iPads and even iPhones with software issues that cause them to run full tilt (iOS isn't meant to run in that way) will cause a healthy battery to drain even while plugged in. It happens and I've personally seen it more than once. Would you rather extra speed/ability or a battery that no matter what can't deplete while being charged?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Captain Pike posted:

Thanks! Wikipedia helped a lot. It looks like all the newer 13" models have ULV processors. :colbert:

If you already have a Mac or iOS device grab mactracker from the App Store. Will give you everything you want to know and more. Amazing app.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SourKraut posted:

My only issue with this argument is that given the focus Apple has put into making the retina MacBook Pros thin, powerful, lightweight, etc. with good battery life under low-to-moderate workloads, it's also reasonable to say that they know that a lot of the userbase will not be transporting the adapter with them, since it adds additional weight and space requirements during transport. That is something that even on here we see people complaining about. When I was going through my engineering program I rarely saw people bring adapters with them, and now at work and going to design meetings/etc., seeing people carry around their Latitudes and M3700/M3800s, systems with horrible battery lives, people still do not want to lug around an adapter.

Given that Dell's 65W adapter is small by comparison to their 90W unit, but still larger overall than Apple's 85W, who knows how much larger a 95 or 100W unit would be. I imagine that it would still be smaller than Dell's 90W, though I can't say that for sure. But since I think it's safe to say that most would be expecting to be plugged in when doing an extremely heavy workload task, it'd have been nice to have had the option for an adapter that can keep the MBP at full load without needing to depend upon the battery. Obviously they make design decisions based upon a variety of factors, but if it can't sustain heavy workloads without potentially impacting the battery to a large extent, they should probably drop the "Pro" from its title.

If your entire argument is how Apple is stupid for calling something "pro," you are very much in the wrong thread. Apple's naming scheme, and basically the entire language of Apple is all about spinning words for maximum effect.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

Yeah. No it wasn't wrong. If it's working fine currently then the computer is fine. If it stops working then it has been damaged. If you also agree that they shouldn't open the machine then don't go off into wild speculation of all the problems that might happen.

I especially like how you linked software updates to liquid damage.

So are you saying that if the glass shattered on a display due to a drop, but the computer works just fine that it's not damaged?

My point is that yes, there are most definitely internal components that have been damaged by the liquid, and wether the damage actually shows itself is up in the air. Software updates (mainly major os upgrades) tend to work the machine in ways that it isn't used by most normal users. This is why software updates can sometimes trigger issues from previous liquid damage. It's not the software update itself that actually causes the damage.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BobHoward posted:

He's mildly wrong about the details, but not at all wrong to state that software changes can expose latent hardware problems.

To pick an example based on its clarity, assume you have slightly bad memory. One bit at one address is stuck high. Write a zero there, read the address back, it always returns one. But you don't notice because that bit happens to be part of a page which is always allocated and wired by the kernel during boot, and due to random chance the data structure which goes there doesn't cause problems if that one bit is corrupted. (Sometimes, because it so happens that this bit would naturally always be one!) As a result, the OS can function perfectly, or so close to it that it isn't noticeable to the vast majority of users.

Now you install an OS update. Internal data structures change size and relative position. Suddenly what gets stored in that page is a structure where that bit is amazingly critical -- if its contents are wrong the OS crashes during boot.

This happens all the time. Whenever you see people complaining that an OS update (from anyone, not just Apple) killed their computer and :argh: THOSE LOUSY BASTARDS DON'T CARE ANYMORE :argh:, keep that in mind -- such complaints are often bad hardware.

But if you tell it to people they'll often shout about it being ridiculous and making no sense. After all, their computer appeared to work perfect before the OS update, so it can't possibly be the computer! How dare you suggest otherwise.

Thank you for the clarification I did not have the deeper hardware knowledge to convey. I use that method to explain this to mostly computer brain dead people, and it's close enough that still allows them to understand. I just never bothered to learn the deeper explanation behind it. I see it happening all the time (both on mobile devices and computers) and people really seriously refuse to believe that the software update did not kill their computer and become irrationally angry. I've met more than a few people who no longer do updates for that specific reason, even if it's been clearly proven that the update was not at fault.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

I'm using a 2010 MacBook with a hard drive in the optical bay. I abruptly got a "eject disk before unplugging" notification and uh... the volume is gone. Nothing in Disk Utility. Anything I can check that doesn't require me to pop it open and fiddle with the connectors? I'm about to try resetting PRAM and SMC. I just find this disturbing enough that I wanted to ask the thread.

edit: SMC/PRAM doesn't help. Weirdness. It's a good thing I got a time capsule like one week ago.

Get a time capsule. They're designed for this stuff. They're great. They're great routers too.

Does the drive show in option boot? If not looks like you're opening it's and playing with the cables! If it straight up disappeared that's more likely to be a cable then the drive itself. Do you have a sata hdd sled?

Also are you sure time machine is backing up your second hdd? Time machine usually only backs up the OS X boot Volume.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

OMGzKakaniz posted:

My wife has my old MacBook Pro 13' (mid 2010). Has Mavericks installed etc etc. Today the wifi started dropping and we can't turn it back on. Periodically the fan kicks in to full blast (only started yesterday) and the computer would freeze. Once we go to restart it it would boot but have no image on the screen. About to scrap and reload Mavericks but is this thing done? Out of ideas and 140 miles to and from a fruit stand.

Pram/smc reset?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

OMGzKakaniz posted:

I'll give that a shot and see what happens. Thanks

If that Doesn't work, ideally you would want to test it in another OS before wasting your time reinstalling, but I doubt you have a bootable external copy of mavericks floating around.

Check apples website for a authorized service provider near you. They probably have the same test tools an apple store does.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Stop calling it an iTouch you heathens.

If I hear you call your MacBook Pro a PowerBook one more god drat time…

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pivo posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, I've been on SA since 2003 (don't ask why my account is 2004) and I've never really 'understood' FYAD.

Nah, they're willing to give me quality of life stuff ... I've got a beefy PC running Linux and three nice monitors.... Just that a large portion of my work is going to be iOS dev and for that they have an anaemic Mini. I'd prefer to do 100% of the dev work in OS X so it'd be nice if I had a nice Mac.

My MBP blows this poo poo out of the water, buddy who I'm replacing raced my MBP against that Mini building the same project and starting the simulator... His easily took 10 times longer. Oh well.

Why is your reg date 2004 and not 2003?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Evis posted:

So my 2012 refurb rMBP has started having some sort of charging issue. I have to reset the SMC every so often if I want it to charge. This has been happening for a couple of weeks now. I've been too busy to look into it much beyond finding out how to reset the SMC but might try more this weekend.

Have you tried a different MagSafe adapter? Have yo been using a third party one or one with the wrong wattage?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

So my 2012 MBP (15" w/ Retina) doesn't seem to recognize any USB drives. Mice, USB receivers for wireless peripherals and the like seem to work fine in both ports, but nothing happens when I plug in my thumb drive or phone. I checked Disk Utility and the preferences in Finder, but no luck. The thumb drive works when I plug it into my fiance's macbook air, and other computers recognize the phone when I plug it in.

Can't seem to find anything helpful on the internet. Anyone else run into this issue?

Do they show up as USB devices in system info?

Make one bootable and option boot and see if it shows up there? That will at least tell you hardware or software.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

IUG posted:

So weird question I guess, but does anyone use a remote to control iTunes/etc on their computer? I have a MBPr, which doesn't have an IR port, so the offical Apple remote is out of the question. I was hoping something simple but also maybe bluetooth so I could be in the other room streaming to my receiver, and still use that remote. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

You have an iPhone or iPad?

Turn on home sharing, download the remote app. As long as your on the same wifi, it's way way way better than the apple remote.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

/
Nothing showing up in system info. I'll have to see if I can dig up a USB stick that I can format into a bootable drive. Anything else I can try in the meantime?

If you can dump the drive data you can make that drive bootable?

The other option would be either clean install, or partition and make a second install, but both of those are way more work that just finding a flash drive and option booting.

You could try booting into recovery (cmd+r before chime) and you can access disk utility from there.

It's not booting into safe boot is it?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hekk posted:

They look great but 1500 is outside my impulse purchase range and I can't really justify spending that much money on something I am not even sure I'd use enough.

rmbp start at $1299?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Butt Savage posted:

I don't mean to do this to go against what you guys are recommending to Hekk, but I need to jump into this rMBP chat because within the next week or two I'm going to be purchasing my first Mac and I'm dead set on the 13" 8/256. But there's one issue. Ever since I read this:

I've been having second thoughts. I've already been burned twice purchasing computers that weren't good at doing anything in particular except feeling slow and disappointing. I know on paper the rMBP should be a beast, but I don't want to make this mistake again, especially if I'm dropping more than a grand on a computer. And as much as I'd like to, anything beyond the 8/256 is too expensive for me.

As usual, here's what I'll be doing with it:

MS Office, web surfing, YouTube, HD video (1080p would be nice), very light gaming (if any). And then there's iMovie stuff, basic photo editing, a Windows VM with the possibility of playing with Linux VMs (nothing serious, I'm no coder/IT guy).

So green light? Caution? Get the Air (but the retina screen is so beauiful :()?

Did you notice the string of people after him saying they haven,t experienced this at all and to take it to the genius bar? It should do all that stuff with no problem. Gaming won't be amazing, but you said light gaming so that shouldn't be an issue.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Aranan posted:

I'm looking at purchasing a rMBP. I haven't used MacOS before and have been wanting to mess around with it or a while. I'm also in a situation where it's be great to have a portable computer (Army--30+ hours of sitting at a desk on duty means a laptop could save my sanity) so I figured I could kill two birds with one stone.

It will be a general use laptop for stuff like web surfing (5-25 tabs usually open) and gaming (Blizzard titles like D3, HotS, and SC2 plus Dark Souls 2). Oh, and probably semi productive things like Office and whatnot. :)

I've never used an apple laptop before, so I'm not sure how important the next point will be. As of now, I would like for it to be able to dock into something at home so I can use an external keyboard and monitor for a "desktop" feel when gaming but still be portable for use as an actual laptop. This may change if I find typing on the keyboard to be acceptable for long periods and on how the screen looks in action.

I took a look at the 13 and 15 inch models in a store and as much as I like to have the extra screen space of a 15 inch, I imagine the 13 will be more practical due to portability and (am I right in this?) battery life and cooling. I did notice the speakers on the 15 were next to the keyboard--where are they located on the 13? Also, what's the general consensus of the 13 v 15? The last laptop I had was a giant brick, so even the 15 will be light in comparison.

My next big set of questions is on configuration. How easy (if even possible) is it for me to add my own RAM after purchase? Paying apple to do so is a little hefty of a cost compared to how much I'm used to paying for RAM. Also, how good are the intel iris graphics? Will they be able to handle whatever I'm doing? I'm pretty sure an i5 or i7 won't make a big different in my situation since I'm not doing anything really CPU intensive.

Right now I'm leaning toward the $1500 model, even if that is way more than I've ever spent on a computer before. :) Someone tell me it's worth it and will work for my situation...

The ram is built into the logic board (motherboard), so your not just paying Apple to click in sticks. The speakers are in the display, and while the 15" speakers are a little better the 13" speakers are pretty drat goods.

Battery is physically bigger on the 15", so the battery life is similar.

MacBook keyboards are awesome, but if you've got the cash you can buy a Thunderbolt Display. It connects to the thunderbolt port on the laptop and provides multiple USB, FireWire, a thunderbolt, power for the laptop, and sound.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Inside Outside posted:

I've switched from an old iMac to a new rMBP and I love it, but the one catch it that storing all my music locally would fill up just about my entire drive. Putting it all on an external HD and subscribing to Spotify does 95% of the job, but is there a way to make my external drive accessible over wifi? Ideally I would like be able to access and store my iTunes library and maybe do Time Machine backups with another old external drive I have laying around without having to spend gobs of cash on something like an Airport Extreme.

ITunes Match requires you store all of that data locally on a drive.

Set up a sharing only account on the iMac (I'm assuming all the music is on the iMac and you're keeping it), give than account permissions to your iTunes folder, and connect to the iMac from the rMBP via connect to server in iTunes.

From there, set your default iTunes library folder as the folder on the iMac.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Inside Outside posted:

Because I forgot about it! Doesn't iTunes Match not jive well with unreleased stuff / b sides / songs that aren't on iTunes? That's pretty much why I still want that old stuff.

If it can't match it it just uploads a copy

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Xabi posted:

Has anybody here had problems with their rMBP freezing to a complete halt, so that it needs a reboot? It's happened to me about ten times, but I'm not sure if there's a pattern for when it happens. I think it usually happens after I wake it up by opening the lid. I sometimes even get a grey screen, with text telling me that something went wrong and the computer had to reboot.

Is this a common problem? Is there a solution for it? It hasn't happened often enough for me to freak out but something's deffo not right either.

It's a late 2013 8gb rMBP btw.

That could be software, ssd, ram, logic board, or other stuff really. Are you on the latest os? Does it happen every time you wake from sleep? And do you ever properly shut down?

You could check for I/O errors in console. My suggestion is to back it up, take it to the Genius Bar and let them run tests on the hardware. If your in warranty they'll probably send it out to the repair facility where they'll just replace everything that could possibly be causing it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Xabi posted:

No, not nearly every time I wake it up. It doesn't happen often really, but often enough that I've noticed it and have become irritated by it. I turn it completely off once in a while. Is that something one should do frequently? Also, how do I check for I/O errors in the console? I'm by no means a mac expert.

e: I'm on the latest os, yes.

You can select all messages in console and type i/o in the search box and see if anything pops up. This by no means guarantees anything if you don't find anything, but if your getting i/o errors it's disk issues. If so you can try to verify the disk/volume from disk utility in recovery, but just back up your poo poo first. You can also try repairing system permissions and ACLs (user permissions). I doubt that's it but it wouldn't hurt.

You should shut your system
down once in a while. Id say once a week or so at least. I still think you should go to the store for diags, but if you want to avoid that and you don't have a ton of data you can erase and do a clean install and see if the issue continues.

If you do go, try to learn the conditions regarding when it happens so it's easier to replicate. Things like exactly how often, when was the last time it happened, what was running when you put it to sleep when the issue happened, how long since the last shutdown, when exactly did it start, how long is it usually in sleep when this happens and does it make a difference.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 20, 2014

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ironlung posted:

Dumb question: I have had my rMBP for about a month and every so often I hear one soft metallic click that sounds like it is coming from the right side kind of the base near the HDMI port. Is this normal? I was under the impression that this thing has no moving parts due to the SSD so I'm wondering what this could be and really just want to know if it's normal... fan clicking on/off?

Reseating the bottom case screws should resolve that, although it requires an apple pentalobe driver.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Is it still the collective thread wisdom to get AppleCare - even on the machines with no moving parts (retina MBPs, etc)? It's saved me in the past, but almost entirely on things like broken disc drives, etc. Deciding whether my imminently-purchased rMBP should have it or not...

Keep in mind the rMBP is the most expensive machine to fix. SSDs are way more expensive then their moving counterparts, and if your ram goes bad on a rMBP your getting a whole new logic board. The displays are also crazy expensive.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

My PIN is 4826 posted:

The cost of repairs carried out under applecare on my last macbook probably got close to the value of the machine itself (1 logic board, 2 screens, 1 optical drive, 1 charger, 1 fan), and then I came back 5 years after purchasing it to get another logic board replacement under UK consumer law :v:

Unless you had a higher end model, those parts probably did cost more than you paid for the machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

AppleCare has different prices for different products. Getting it on an rMBP from the education store is $239.

That's the 15". The 13" is $183.