Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Binary Badger posted:

Edit: I see the expired in-joke about timb's creaky Macs is intact :smug:

It should be "doesn't creak".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Space Racist posted:

I like how as soon as the whitebook gets axed, the "will it die?" speculation immediately shifts to the 13" MBP. :v:

Sort of how the "will it die" speculation switched from the Xserve to the Pro.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

brc64 posted:

My current job is coming to an end, and when it does, I have to send back the laptop they gave me to use. I've wanted to get a MacBook for a while, mostly because that's the last modern OS that I really have no experience with. Also it's pretty.

Take a look at the 11inch and 13inch Airs. The 11inch has essentially replaced the white MacBook entirely.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It doesn't. It's really only useful if you have dozens of gigantic RAW files open in Photoshop at once. In which case, it's fantastic!

It would probably be really useful if you tried to game on an external monitor though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Most of the non-MBA ultrabooks aren't nearly as good.

The only difficulty I can recall for bootcamp is installing it with the Air's lack of DVD drive (although it's not that big a deal).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Does anyone have a bluetooth headset that they'd recommend? I'm interested in getting one to replace my headset that just snapped in half without warning.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

It looks like both boxes say "Air". So a 13" and 11" Air? :psyboom:

Maybe you should buy a Mac Pro for your gaming desktop.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

I'm trying to find an answer for my sister regarding whether her MacPro 3,1 from 2007 w/ an NVidia 8800GT can run DaVinci's Resolve. I have no idea if her MacPro will face any problems running this program. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with Resolve and whether or not she can use the 8800GT to handle the GUI. Any help would be great.

Also here is their suggested setups. http://blackmagic-design.com/media/2384470/DaVinci_Resolve_Mac_Config_Guide.pdf

The 8800 supports CUDA so it LOOKS like it'll be ok.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

bitprophet posted:

My wife and I are trying to upgrade her original (2006, I think; first Intel model) Mac Pro's graphics card. All that seems readily available via OWC and Apple themselves is a couple related ATI cards and an obscenely expensive high end NVidia. (Or the Mac-spec'd NVidia 8800 GT which seems really hard to find these days.)

I need to do more research (scour xlr8yourmac, etc) but I'm curious if there are any well known resources for this sort of thing; how easy/reliable it is to buy regular PC-oriented GPUs and flash them to work with a Mac (not sure if that's the same process as Hackintosh people have to do, or I could go ask there); etc.

We'll probably go the easy route and buy a Radeon HD 5770, but wanted to check here first.

IIRC the answer is "very easy, but you'll never be able to see what's going on before you boot into OSX".

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

That would be pretty sweet to have! Not much else to carry around too. Laptop gaming... is going to be real? :o

Laptop gaming was already real, provided you had some spare space shuttle heat shield tiles to put on your lap and didn't plan to use the battery for any length of time at all ever.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

flyboi posted:

Are there any monitors that are mini display port that AREN'T the apple display?

Any monitor with a displayport connection becomes a mini displayport connection with the right cable. They're electrically identical.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Brother makes some decent laser printers, I have the HL-2170W.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Molten Llama posted:

For reasons inconceivable to me, they're regularly selling between $90 and ~$120 on eBay.

Probably because they don't require any power other than the slot itself. It's handy when you want to put it in with a card that uses up both of the power connectors (5870).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

flyboi posted:

Mac Pro HATES mixing nvidia and ati for some retarded reason.

Bah. I was hoping if I needed to upgrade my Mac Pro via a PC-version card, I'd be able to use a 7300 if I needed to see pre-full-boot things.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

My father uses the EyeTV Hybrid for television and likes it a lot. I couldn't find that model on amazon.jp though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

movax posted:

It would be awesome if there was a secret high-resolution panel in the works, but it would be incredibly expensive for the GPU hardware to power gaming at those resolutions. The GTX 680/Radeon 7990 are needed to push the latest games at >1080p resolution with eye-candy on.

Does Apple really give a poo poo about gaming? I would guess "not on the Mac".

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

mayodreams posted:

We met with the Apple Higher Ed reps yesterday, and they made it clear that the Mac Pro is not sticking around. This is a huge problem for us, because we need workstations and PCI-E slots for our workflow, and all they say is THUNDERBOLT. When I asked about graphics and animation, ie After Effects, they said "no one does it in house anymore". Right. Let me just contract out our students' animation projects to a 3rd party to render.

The Apple Way was pretty heavy handed in that streaming is the future, optical discs are dead, computer labs are a thing of the past, and Final Cut X is easier to use to broaden the market. All things we did not like to hear. Throw in my angst over virtualization on non Apple hardware, Lion/ML server sucking for OD policy, and a few other issues, and it was not a feel good meeting.

Well gently caress. I liked having a tower-style computer to the point where I was willing to overlook a lot of :10bux: but now I don't know what.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

We are all Craig Ellsworth :tinfoil:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wheez the roux posted:

How does Apple plan to retain a big professional user-base if they're scrapping their best video editing platforms? If pros want to use OSX, they need machines to do it on. As it is, my friend's video production company is planning on transitioning to Hackintosh builds to replace their aging Mac Pros.

I don't think they do.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

~Coxy posted:

xpost from Hack thread because it applied to real Macs also.

Just got my GTX580 running and the process could not have been simpler.
Install drivers from NV's site, shut down, swap out cards, reboot.

Unigine reports quite a massive boost compared to the old 5870.

FPS:
41.4 -> 58.8
Scores:
1043 -> 1480
Min FPS:
24.1 -> 29.3
Max FPS:
76.3 -> 130.3

Does this work with any GTX580?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

~Coxy posted:

1. According to netkas, no (I'm on a hack.)
2. I assume so, but how can I tell?

Yep, no flashing, bootstrapping or other bullshit required.

Ok, now to decide if I give a poo poo about bootscreens.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

This is only tangentially related to mac hardware, but I figured it wasn't worth a thread. I've got a Back-UPS RS RB900 with a dead battery. Is it OK to purchase a replacement battery from Battery Sharks?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

spaceship posted:

I really, really, really hope the new pros have dual thunderbolt ports.

That's going to be weird, with the way video cards work.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

That doesn't have to fit in a normal PCI slot though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm thinking of getting a GeForce 580 for my mac pro since I've been noticing my 5770 struggling with 2569*1440 gaming. Is this the right thread to ask about card recommendations, or should I use the hackintosh thread?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

flyboi posted:

Check https://www.netkas.org he posts about a lot of cards and what "just works" or doesn't so you don't have to pay the inflated Apple tax for a dated video card.

Hmm, it's looking like "wait for ML, then buy a 680" is a good option. I'd get a 670 but apparently it has issues with OpenCL.

EDIT: Actually, so does the 680. HMM.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 23, 2012

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Let's say I won the lottery and was going to drop a couple thousand on a Mac Pro. If you get the base model with the single six-core CPU, does the motherboard have an open CPU socket that you could later on drop another CPU in, or is it a single-CPU board?

There's no open socket on mine AFAIK. In theory you could replace the Processor Tray via OWC but that'd be fairly expensive.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

You missed machined metal. Thats not the same as brushed.

Maybe we can have carbon fiber(mass produced) or magnesium next.

Magnesium will be hilarious when it overheats :supaburn:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Magnesium as a structural metal for electronics is rarely pure enough to ignite but pure enough that you can have weight savings even over aluminum. Its still pricey though.

Well, sometimes you get surprised.

That's not electronics though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

My father has a Mac Pro 2006 with a badly damaged lower "handle" bit. Since it's very unstable, I was thinking of flipping it upside down and letting it run like that.

Is there any reason not to do this, assuming he won't use the DVD drive?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Belkin is also working on a Thunderbolt dock, with anticipated pricing at $400. :eek:

But it will have USB2, USB3, ESATA, ethernet, audio in and out.

Hoping the price on Thunderbolt accessories drops soon, it's really a great idea, but prices need to come down for it to really take off outside of like a professional or enthusiast market.

That's about half the price of a refurb thunderbolt display. Which to be fair doesn't have USB3 or eSATA.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So I noticed when I went to download iTunes 11 that it was also downloading "LED Cinema Display Firmware Update 1.1". Never noticed the issue it's talking about but I'm surprised that it was able to refresh the firmware without doing anything other than blacking the display for about a second.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Finally got my Early 2008 Mac Pro hooked up for USB 3.0. And I did it for $36 bucks. If you don't give a poo poo about USB 3.0 or Mac Pros, skip this post. Also, I take no responsibility for whatever you decide to do, this is how I did it with the help of posts on the OSX86 and InsanelyMac forums.

Can the "flash in a PC" step be done using boot camp and the Mac Pro?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It sounds like you want a Mac Pro- but also one that's cheaper and smaller than an iMac. That's not at all a bad idea- you're basically just describing a bog standard PC, only one designed/built/sold by Apple. Unfortunately, that kind of flies in the face of the MO they've made for themselves.

Now, Apple is supposed to be launching a completely revamped Mac Pro in 2013 (if Tim Cook's cryptic email responses are anything to go by) and the speculation is that it might be smaller than the current chassis. Granted, we won't know for sure until the thing launches- and I really doubt it'll be cheap(er than an iMac).

The main factors in the cost of the Mac Pro are the Xeon processor and ECC RAM. Everything else could be somewhat affordable. Unfortunately Xeons basically start at 1k USD just for the chip.

I don't think they can compromise on the Xeon issue unless they want to stop offering dual-socket models.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Well, in theory they could target the "enthusiast" and create a machine that had a single slot that you put the GPU in, but that'd require that mac GPUs come out more often than "every time the Mac Pro refreshes" to work out for the consumer, and also it'd require there to be a lot of enthusiasts that will buy Macs for Apple to make any money there.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

IUG posted:

Terminal as in the text based command prompt app? Why does that have a graphics card requirement?

Cathode presumably uses some shader thing to make Terminal look "cool" that isn't supported by the 1900.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

And don't forget the PCI-E special power cable that needs you to become a contortionist to plug it in.

gently caress those things.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Speaking of sucking up the hard drive, I've noticed VMWare Fusion is really eating up my hard drive when I leave my Boot Camp VM running for a few days. It ate almost a hundred gigs, but fortunately returned them all when I shut the VM down. How do I stop it from doing that?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

japtor posted:

What are your VM's drive settings? I think I had something similar happen on my work machine with a small SSD and had the VM set to dynamic drive or whatever. The issue was that whatever Windows was doing, it was leading to the virtual drive expanding, and could only get cleaned up when the VM was off. I ended up just going with a fixed size drive to keep the size stable.

Yeah it's eating space on my SSD too. Good thing I sprung for the 300gb one.

It's a boot camp VM, it can't be configured. I'm not even sure where the option to change it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

You don't need an adapter unless the monitor is bigger than 1920x1200.