Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007
Looking at getting a 27" iMac

1. Is it possible to use it as an external display for a non-apple laptop (sony vaio S series)?

2. Pretty sure it takes 3.5" hard-drives, is it in anyway difficult to add a second 3.5" drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Yeah, you definitely can't add a second 3.5" HDD internally. There are 3 SATA ports internally so you can add hard disk that way if you want to be ghetto about it.
There is space for a 2.5" HDD (intended for a SSD) inside but connecting a drive to it raises further issues.

Raises further issues how? I don't mind being ghetto with my solutions here.

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Apparently if you order your iMac from Apple without SSD, then you have neither the mounts nor the cables to add one at a later date.

You can order in those items for an overpriced sum of money of course, or assuming you want to add in an SSD then you can use double sided tape and any old short SATA cable.

http://blog.chargedpc.com/2011/05/2011-imac-ssd-install-guide.html

Okay, that is really loving ghetto. Looks like it will just be easier to get a usb enclosure for it.

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007
Is it likely that the iMac will get a spec bump?

Whats the maximum RAM a 27" iMac will take? Apple site suggests 16GB, but is that just limited by the stick size?

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

Space Racist posted:

If you need more than 16GB, shouldn't you be looking at Mac Pros instead? :v:

More like looking to the future (say a year or so from now, if I want to add more RAM, would I be able to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

flyboi posted:

INTERNET RECOVERY ALL THE 2011S!!!! It also showed the same kind of deal on my 2011 MBP. Also since it says "early 2011" I wonder if they're bumping up the iMacs too :ohdear:

asd;klregj

Apple don't do this to me. Making it harder and harder to know whether to delay getting an iMac.