Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Your laptops covered its first year, you don't need AppleCare right now - get it before the year is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
If any of you less-than-perfect credit score people attempted to finance through the Barclays card and were declined, I went ahead and called their recon line and a very friendly gentleman asked me a handful of questions and approved me for the card instantly.

I've been building my credit over the last few years and this is by far my largest credit limit.

866-408-4064

What sucks though, is that you can't go into the store and buy anything until you have the physical card (according to Apple.com live chat). I had to order online. Oh well, new MBA 11" sometime next week!

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Any else of you returning your i5 MBA for the i7? I only have two days left on my return, still trying to decide.

My big thing was hoping this didn't do some crazy fan RPM when watching basic videos/movies, which it does, so hell, I might as well have the i7.

I'm also SLIGHTLY considering going from the 11" to the 13". I wish the 13" was 16:10.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Rabid Snake posted:

The 13" is 16:10?

I'm dumb, I meant 16:9.

Whatever the wide one is.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

qbert posted:

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer a 16:9 screen? Everyone I know would rather have a 16:10 display/monitor for their comp.

I've always preferred the older wide screens. I have a 24" dell 16:9 and a new 28" 16:10 right next to it, and I for what I do, which is terminal sessions to routers constantly.. or reading forums, I feel like it's much nicer to split the windows for width than height.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I don't care if its 9:29 or 500:2 I like the wider screens over the vertical depth. Moving on!

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

dexter6 posted:

Any case recommendations for the 11" MBA?

I'm not a fan of the Spec hard cases, the one I had on my 2010 MBP was ill fitting and would get disgusting finger grease all over it (mine was red satin).

I recently got rid of my MBA 11" to get a 13" and I don't need my Incase perforated case anymore. I'll sell it for $25 + s/h. I didn't even use it for over a week or two since I had to send the MBA back within 30 days.

It looks kind of funny, but it's killer, not clunky at all and nice to grip.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4971ZM/A?n=macbookair11&fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&s=topSellers

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Binary posted:

I want to get a mac laptop to mess around with Xcode and iphone app development, also running the iphone simulator. Keep in mind this will be my first mac ever. For development purposes is the 13" Air with the i5 a decent choice? My research seems to indicate that it would be. My only doubt is whether I should get that or a 13" macboo pro. What I like about the air is an SSD at a lower price point and the fact that it apparently has the same resolution as the macbook pro 15".

Also, as noted in an earlier post, Best Buy has then for $1099. The Apple refurb site had them at that price last week but they're gone now. Is that the best deal on one right now or should I wait to see what black friday offers?

The 13" is a fabulous portable dev device. I'd definitely recommend a desktop monitor for when you're "working" but it's a nice form factor regardless.

Also, I'm shocked to see them for $1099. That's the best deal I've ever seen on a recent Macbook release. I paid that for my 11" when it was new.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Binary posted:

I have a 24" inch acer monitor at home. This might be a dumb question but it will work with the mac proved I get the thunderbolt to whatever adapter, yes?

Correct. I plug mine into my TV (to hdmi) and monitors (to dvi) all the time.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
If anyone has been looking for a Mac specific keyboard, I've posted my Logitech diNovo Edge over in SAmart at a considerable discount.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Is anyone thoroughly unimpressed with the performance of their 13"mbpr? I recently got one to replace my 2012 MBP. It's fully loaded, 256gb, 8gb.. and man it has been frustrating me to use. Chrome will peg 60% (I'm currently running with 0 extensions for testing) and the general OS is just frustrating to use. Not frequent beachballs, but lots of javascript and application opening lag.

Do these things use super lovely SSDs? I have several other computers with high end SSDs and don't experience any latency like this. I have a Samsung S9 w/ windows that is stuck with 4GB of soldered ram and it runs much better than this.

I've already gone through the usual PRAM/etc resets. I'm going to start uninstalling apps that run in the background (dropbox, drive, evernote). It doesn't even feel like it's using an SSD. I open Chrome and have to wait 3-5 seconds. I just closed 2do then reopened it and it took about 3 seconds. The menu bar will show up, then a few seconds later the app will open.

vty fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 1, 2014

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

revmoo posted:

I've had mixed results with mine, for example Navicat runs like dogshit and can't even scroll without being laughably choppy. I think a lot of it is due to crap software but for an i7 it doesn't feel that fast to me.

The choppy scrolling is one of the main issues I'm having. It's driving me crazy. I do development on my mbpr, I've always got Cornerstone, Sublimetext2, Evernote, iterm and Chrome open and it drives me crazy. I thought it was Chrome for awhile, so I switched to Firefox for about 3 months. Same issues. Personally I think it's OSX, or maybe some software that I install on every workstation. I had issues like this with my MBP but I assumed it was because it wasn't an SSD.

This system really doesn't feel any different. I've got 4 other 13" mbpr's sitting beside me. If I can't smooth it out today I'm going to puppet myself over to another one and see if that helps.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

agarjogger posted:

Holy poo poo I want a loving Air. Wasn't price-competitive with the $700 ThinkPads when I bought last last Xmas. Now totally is. I guess I could stop unplugging my X230 from its dock, stash it behind the screen, and make it a sweet-rear end desktop. Still, strangers get a huge kick out of my exquisitely-hackintoshed ThinkPad, and it's much less of a theft target. Doesn't matter, MBA sexiness trumps all.

I couldn't disagree more. I wasn't even aware that you could hackintosh X230s - usually laptops are nightmares. I would kill for the ability to dock and have extra batteries, etc. I'm tired of getting to work and home and having to plug/unplug 5 different cables. Also the lack of expansion, in ability to add additional GPUs, general fear of putting my MBPr down too hard on the desk and breaking it, etc. I'm sure if Apple one day attempted to make an enterprise ready laptop they'd knock it out of the park, but they haven't and I think it's pretty lame.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

On what planet are Apple laptops not "enterprise ready?"

Enterprise users nowadays want speed, light weight and million hour battery life, which Apple laptops do better than anyone. Dock? Thunderbolt display or thunderbolt dock. Extra battery? Not needed. Additional GPU? Lol, but if you really needed this for something you could use thunderbolt I guess.

I think people just have this image of the old 1.5" thick Thinkpads as "enterprise" and anything that anyone would actually want to tote around as not, but considering how many people at my company have traded up to an Air or rMBP I'd say they're getting over it.

Wow, put the koolaid down. I've owned non-Apple PCs that were lighter weight and faster than anything Apple has.

I'm glad that you're here to determine that we don't need a secondary battery, because there is definitely no use case (days of constant presentations, seminars, frequent travel, etc) that would make having several extra fully charges batteries available fantastic.

I could also bring up the fact that managing Apple products at the enterprise level is a hilarious nightmare, but that's for a thread with less bias.

Anyway, moving on, when you work in multiple offices or travel frequently the ability to expand or have a dock is a nice feature, whether it's necessary to your specific lifestyle or not was never my point.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Bonobos posted:

I'm thinking of picking up an air at this price. Anyone have experience with the 11inch? Is it as cramped as it looks? Looking for something for a main everything computer (have an i5 tower for gaming).

Edit: is the bezels actually bigger on the 11 vs the 13? Looks like it...?

I'm a huge ultrabook nerd and buy a new one almost every year, from the old Vaio Z, to airs, to S9s. I like ultraportability and I'm used to 12.5-13" screens.

I bought an 11 MBA 2 years ago (same body as the current release) and it was just too frustrating to use. I could hardly fit half of a website on the screen and was constantly scrolling. I brought it back and got the 13" MBA and was much happier. If they can ever get rid of the bezel and do an 11" form factor with a 13" screen (how ever Samsung phrases it) then it'd probably rock.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

flavor posted:

And that one is called "no true Scotsman". If you already define an "actual true" enterprise environment as "Windows-only", then sure, anything by Apple that uses an Apple OS is excluded by definition.

I listed plenty of issues that are not OS-related and I would very much enjoy an "enterprise ready" MBP. That means expansion slots, modular bays, and replaceable batteries- definitely a dock, considering I have 4 offices that I work out of. For some reason asking for these things offends the Apple crowd as opposed to opening any sort of intelligent conversation as to why we might or might not need them. It's pretty shameful and obtuse. It's akin to Steve Jobs telling me that I don't need a screen larger than 3.5" - or that a convertible laptop (which I think is one of the coolest recent laptop inventions) is stupid.

You can rant and rave about how I, someone whose job you are likely completely unfamiliar with (as I am yours) shouldn't need XYZ - but at a large company with several thousand positions that does not fly.

"Enterprise-ready" infers a capability to be passed on to anybody for any role.

vty fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 2, 2014

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Evis posted:

Just got my rMBP back and it turned out the MagSafe 2 board needed to be replaced. They did point out that if it had been the logic board it would have been over 500 without a warranty. I assume the point of that was to show me that buying AppleCare before my 1 year expires might be a good idea. I still think I'll risk it.

I've owned 3-5 recent Macbooks of different varities and the logic board has failed on .. at least half of them. So, yeah.. at least get it prior to your warranty ending.

There's some scheme to get it cheaper. I forget. Maybe it's buying it off of amazon. Or maybe they send you a coupon for 10% off or something before your warranty expires. It may not be around any longer, but I do recall something like that.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Binary Badger posted:

As it says in the OP avoid eBay or "schemes" too good to be true. What most goons agree on is to purchase AppleCare at an educational discount or buy it from B&H Photo & Video whose pricing comes close to the educational discount.

I was definitely not referring to any Ebay schemes! BH photo most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Useful Idiot posted:

Well I ended up going with the 13" 256GB/8GB Pro anyway, ought to have more oomph than the basic Air.

Somehow I always thought that using OSX would be fairly similar to some Linux desktop environments, but holy poo poo am I lost in this environment.

It takes a good couple of months to get used to it. I absolutely hated OSX for a long time. Once I really spent time bootstrapping and setting up my environment with stuff like YADR ( https://github.com/skwp/dotfiles ) it's been hard to use anything else.

Get rid of Finder ASAP, though. That thing is a pile of poo poo and an embarrassment to any file explorer. I bought pathfinder awhile back for like $8 on some bundle sale.