Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoom Shroom
Nov 19, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm about to switch from PC to Mac Pro for music stuff (Ableton Live, Kontakt, NI synths etc). I've got 4GB in my Win7 laptop at the moment and that seems to be adequate but having never touched a mac before, is it advisable to spend the extra money for 8GB RAM?

Also what are the SSD's like in terms of read/write speed? Am I better off getting a crappy mechanical hard drive and then slapping one of these bad boys in afterwards? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227727 Would that void my warranty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoom Shroom
Nov 19, 2007

by Lowtax

Bob Morales posted:

Order your Mac with the cheapest HD and then put in the biggest Samsung/Intel/Crucial you can buy.
Is the ghost of Steve Jobs going to slap the warranty card out of my hand if I do that though? I pull laptops apart and put them back together at work but I don't want to screw up myself over if I've got other problems.

BlackMK4 posted:

:suicide:
What does wired/active/inactive mean?

Sorry if these are really dumb questions, you are quite welcome to yell at me for being a stupid babby.

Edit: 8GB of Mac RAM from Newegg is like, $50, can I do the same for that as the SSD?

Zoom Shroom fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 8, 2011

Zoom Shroom
Nov 19, 2007

by Lowtax

BlackMK4 posted:

Yep. Keep in mind that 'Mac' ram is just relabeled normal ram with jacked up prices.
Fantastic, well I've saved about $550 so far...

I'm looking at the MBP 15" 2.2Ghz fyi. I live in Australia so Amazon isn't really an option for me.

Zoom Shroom
Nov 19, 2007

by Lowtax
I ordered my MBP 15" 2.2Ghz today!

Decided on 4GB and ordered 8Gb from Newegg but the 256GB SSD I ordered from Apple.
The dealbreaker is I'm buying it via salary sacrifice so I don't pay tax on it. A $700 upgrade suddenly becomes a $500 upgrade and taking warranty etc. into consideration it's kind of pointless to get aftermarket.

Went with the standard resolution screen; I'd rather have the boost in framerate. If I need more detail I can use an external monitor. I scale my current 1080P Dell lappy to 720P because everything looks too tiny otherwise. :P

Can I use bootcamp to install Win7 on an external HDD or do I have to install it on a partition on the internal SSD?