Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The wireless card on my 1st-gen blackbook is starting to go out. Is it worth it to replace the card itself, or should I go for a USB adapter? Is there a preferred OS X compatible adapter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

I can't get it to work, googling a solution hasn't helped. Very few people seem to be lucky enough to have working 360 controllers on Lion.

Are you getting an install error, or are the controllers actually not working? When I installed it I would get an error on every attempt, but it still installed and worked fine.

I'd love to see those drivers get updated, regardless.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The 10.8.3 update has caused some trouble on my 2010 mini.

The computer will boot, chime, and show a grey screen. It freezes at that point.

Any suggestions?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

1997 posted:

Reset PRAM.

I can't even get that far. Its the light grey screen before the dark grey one, if that makes sense.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

No spinny doodad. Control-V has no effect.

There's a fruit stand 2 blocks from where I work, so I set an appointment for tomorrow after work. And, of course, I didn't bother with AppleCare on this machine. :(

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

Just start holding the buttons down before you press the power button. No need to turn it into a race.

Neither I nor the genius could get any sort of response from any of the keyboard commands. They checked it in for a full hardware diagnostic. I should find out what actually happened in a few days.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Deadguy2322 posted:

Put it in terms an adult would use, please. I’m not 4. :p

https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks

You have to scroll for a LONG time to find your Mac.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Are there reviews of the Mac Mini with a eGPU?

If it works and works well with a eGPU that’s a interesting package. Granted it’s not cheap but if it works...

Ya, this is where I’m at as well. Hoping to see some info soon.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Oh hey, a 512 GB SSD standard.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

yeah it would’ve been nice if Apple hadn’t spent 8 years on one chassis design while simultaneously being like 100x bigger as a company than before

Like we get it. Jony got to his ideal form. Tech finally caught up with his obvious vision in only a few years. But those bezels, come on.

And difficulty opening them. And having to choose between the default stand and a VESA mount up front.

The iMac deserves better.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Hasturtium posted:

but I'm already considering grabbing an ARM Mini as the family PC.

I have a 2012 mini that I use for basic home stuff, and I will gladly be an early adopter when an arm mini drops.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I literally bought my dad a new mbp today.

To be fair, he’s stuck using some pretty bad corporate software, so comparability is a potential issue, but man, it would suck to see the new one released that quickly.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I really hope the arm macs do get updated on a yearly cycle. I want a new mini, but not badly enough to deal with a Gen1 Mac. I got burned bad by the Core Duo laptops back in 2006.

I can wait a year, but I really don’t want to wait longer than that.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I got my annual bonus and ordered a mini today w/ 16 gb and 1 tb. It’s replacing a 2012 mini.

Maybe I’ll finally get around to teaching myself Swift now that I’ll have a machine that can boot Xcode without sounding like a jet taking off.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Maxing out RAM and storage pushes the estimated delivery date back to late January for any of the M1 machines. That's absolutely wild to me.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

"Future Proofing".

I doubt the Techtubers actually have that much reach, but every one of them I've watched recommended 16gb+512 minimum, regardless of what performance they showed in their own videos, or the intended use case.

I mean, I went for 16gb + 1tb for that reason, but I also tend to hold on to computers for 7ish years.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My Mini delivery got pushed up from the 31st to the 21st, so their supply chain issues are definitely getting resolved.

I can't wait.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I’ve always said that nothing will make me question liking something faster than meeting the other people that like it.

The SSD thing is really funny, though.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Fleedar posted:

My M1 MBA shipped last Wednesday, but the tracking info has shown it sitting “In Transit” in Shanghai ever since. Anyone else have theirs take this long getting out of China?

My Mini has been stuck in Hong Kong. UPS currently won’t give me an estimated delivery date.

I’m fine waiting, but I really hope it gets here before the long Christmas weekend.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My mini finally showed up and I’m currently migrating my stuff over.

It’s remarkable to touch my old 2012 and then the new one. They’re doing the exact same task the old one is warm and the new one feels like it’s turned off.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My new mini has a screen flicker issue when using the HDMI port with my Dell U2417 monitors. There’s a portion of the menu bar that flickers constantly. Switching monitors and cables didn’t help.

It doesn’t do it with my older U2414.

I’ll do some more troubleshooting tomorrow (the power strip the monitors are plugged into might be failing) and have some usb-c to dp and hdmi cables on order to see if that solves the issue. Still frustrating, though.

Oh, and I guess the old Canon flatbed scanner I bought at a garage sale for $1 doesn’t work anymore, either. That one bothers me a bit less.

But other than that, the migration was smooth and this thing is incredibly fast.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 22, 2020

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I like to use the ghost.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I ended up hard wiring my Apple TV because of that issue.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

No surprise here, but the iMacs don’t have Target Display Mode. I wish they did. As it stands, the Mini is the only machine that currently works for me.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Vegastar posted:

Does the UPS tracking for BTO laptops always suck? I ordered a 512/16 M1 Air, it shipped Monday from I’m assuming somewhere in Asia, but all the UPS page is showing is in transit and an estimated date, none of the fun hop-to-hop info or indication of where it is in transit.

Not like the worst thing in the world but I like watching it move like the impatient gently caress that I am.

Shipping info on anything going through customs is a hot mess these days. I’ve had the same basic issue with FedEx.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Mac mini countryman

Do want.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Perplx posted:

Wait for the new macs or use 1 gigantic monitor like me, 38" 3840x1600, its as wide as dual 24" 1080p but way taller.

What monitor, and does it have a PiP mode?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

The M1 Mac Mini already supports 2 monitors. One via HDMI, one via USB-C/Thunderbolt.

If their's is anything like mine, it 'does' support it, but not well.

It may be more of an issue with my secondary monitor itself, but I'm planning to just bypass the whole issue by switching to a single 34" ultra wide.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I was laid up for a few weeks earlier this year with some major back pain (turned out to be my gallbladder) and was stuck working on a laptop while laying in bed or on the couch. It sucked. There are only a handful of positions that work, my work laptop runs way too hot, and typing on it was incredibly awkward.

Using my iPad during the same timeframe was always so much more enjoyable.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I’ve had nothing but display problems with my mini. It’s actually pulled me away from multi displays and into a single large high-res display and an iPad. It felt weird to remove a screen, but at least with a single USB-C monitor I’m not dealing with weird flickering and screens not being recognized half the time.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Huh. I thought the notch would bother me more.

I'm not in the market (since I'm a silly Mac mini user) but there's no reason these chips shouldn't also be in the mini or a new mini-esque type box.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Really struggling thinking of what I'd want a MAX for.

More monitors. All the monitors.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

They will be eventually

I know. I was just hoping to blow my EOY bonus on a new mini.

Guess it's an Apple Watch and more stereo equipment instead.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

oh but isnt having a dedicated GPU a must-have for creative fields and anything that touches 3D? like, isnt an integrated graphics chip really underpowered and not as good?

sorry for the dumb question I just want to learn so I can know what the real advantage is of this compared to buying a windows laptop with say, a 3080 chip in it.

Historically, you aren't wrong. Intel chips with integrated GPUs were generally pretty bad. But there's no technical reason that you can't slap together a CPU and GPU onto the same chip and get the same performance. You would just have to design your cooling around that combo. The Xbox and PS5 both use integrated CPU/GPUs.

Apple, by going moving away from Intel/AMD/NVidia and going to their own custom ARM chips, were able to build very high-performance GPU cores that produce a lot less heat. Part of this is the chips themselves, part of it is designing the chips around their own OS, designing the OS around the chips, and cutting out legacy instructions from the CPU/GPU. The combo of all that lets them hit a very substantial level of performance at much lower power consumption levels.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Stuff exists, but it's long been a chicken and egg problem. Why make games for a platform that has no good graphics options? Why demand good GPU options for a platform with no games?

Etc, etc.

Now the baseline is vastly more capable than before, and the top line is a full powered gpu that's equivalent to last generation's top end desktop card.

Mac gaming is a hot mess, I won’t deny that. But the fact that iOS, tvOS, and macOS all now run on the same architecture with the same Metal API means that devs could easily target MacOS.

Will they? I have my doubts, and I’d certainly want to see much more than ported match 3 games, but the opportunity is there, and I’d love to see someone take it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Is there really a need for a separate iMac Pro if the iMac comes with a ProMotion screen and an M1 Max? I get why it existed, but it seems unnecessary if the new iMacs line up with the new MBPs.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

hatty posted:

The notch seems fine in irl pictures

It still looks odd to me, but I can also tell you that I wouldn’t care after 2 minutes of use. I don’t click on menus THAT often.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I can’t wait to see what the next mini/air/13” mbp end up being. It’s clear that their releases were a stopgap to get the ball rolling on the AS transition, and I imagine that we’ll see form factor changes for all of them.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I wouldn’t be surprised if the mini didn’t get the max chip, but I agree that we’ll see a mini with the pro chip.

The real question is what the mini redesign will look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Unfortunately didn't fix it. This seems to be a solution for forcing resolutions it isn't giving to you, but not for lines and flickering. Thanks though.

I had the same problem that you’re having. It was an all-the-time thing on one of the monitors and an intermittent issue on the other. I could never find any reliable way to get rid of it.

I already hated my monitors (they had really bad image retention issues) so I replaced them. Obviously not an ideal solution, but I’ve never had an issue with my new Asus ProArt displays. I did lose the high refresh rate I had on the other monitors, but I don’t really game as much as I used to, so giving they up wasn’t that big a deal for me.