Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Anyone have a new 27 inch iMac? Because I just got this email:

Apple posted:

Dear iMac owner,

Apple has determined that a very small number of 1TB Seagate hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail under certain conditions. These systems were sold between May 2011 and July 2011.

Our records show that you have an iMac with an affected 1TB Seagate hard drive. Apple will replace your hard drive with a new one, free of charge, under the iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program.

Please choose one of the following options to get a replacement hard drive.

Apple Retail Store - Set up an appointment with a Genius.

Apple Authorized Service Provider - Find one here.

Apple Technical Support - Contact us for local service options.
Apple recommends replacing your affected hard drive as soon as possible. Before you go in for service, please back up your data. Learn more about backup options.

Additional Information

You will need to have the original Mac OS installation discs that were shipped with your iMac in order to reinstall your operating system, other applications, and any backed up data after your hard drive is replaced.

This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the iMac.

Apple will replace affected 1TB Seagate hard drives, free of charge, until July 23, 2012. Apple will continue to evaluate service data and provide extensions to this program as needed.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Apple Inc.

Please tell me this is some type of email phishing scam because I'd so not be amused if it wasn't. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, really sucks about you getting a free harddrive.

http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

It's still not amusing to have to actually go through the efforts to get one, considering I need this computer for work quite often, but I appreciate your sarcasm, I guess? :confused:

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Doctor Zero posted:

I'm sure it's a hassle, but they'll make it as smooth as possible. Make sure you have a backup and bring it into an Apple store. I'm sure they'll even transfer the data.

Yeah I have a Time Capsule, and about 3 other external drives just in case (I tend to get paranoid about protecting important projects I've worked on...)

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I sent my iMac to the Apple Store to get the hard drive replacement. It's going to take 5 days. :smith:

Kinda surprised it's going to take that long, but I guess they don't have the hard drive in the store yet.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Jeratain posted:

Good news everyone (just me actually)! I went to the Apple Store today and they confirmed two things for me:
1. My iMac won't have a bad drive because it was manufactured in late July
2. If I bring the whole box in I can swap out the magic mouse for the trackpad

Good news for you, sir! :unsmith:

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
So my iMac is still in the store getting the hard drive replaced. (I'm one of the people that got an iMac in May, and therefore my Mac's iTB seagate hard drive may be bad.) The Genius that served me first tried to fight me on whether the issue was even true (I politely recommended he google the issue, which he did) and then they said it would take 5 days.

Yesterday was Day 5 and I got no call from the Apple store, so near the end of the day I called them, and a rather rude lady told me the computer wasn't done and it may take a few more days because they are "backed up." This long, to swap out a hard drive? Really?

I'm trying to be fair here because I've never dealt with the Genius Bar before. I ask my fellow goons here - is this normal? Do Geniuses really take this long to get things done? Even things like hard drive swapping?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
So I went to the Apple Store, since they've had my iMac for more than 7 days now (we're on day 8) and I haven't heard anything from them. So I POLITELY (I have to stress how polite I was lest anyone assume I'm being a difficult customer) asked what the status of my computer is. The lady told me it'd take at least another WEEK because it's "back to school season." and therefore there's a backlog of kids that need repairs before school starts. 2 weeks worth of repairs needed? (Here's where one of my PC friends would make a snide remark like "hey wait, I thought Macs are supposed to just work" with an overly :smug: face...)

Regardless, to say I'm annoyed is an understatement. I use this computer for graphic design when I'm on call at my job when they need something A.S.A.P., and the issue with my computer is Apple's fault, not mine. Really, I'm a patient guy so if the computer takes long, so be it (I've already waited 7 days, what's another 7 at this point?), but seriously, the courtesy of a phone call to let me know that it's going to take longer instead of me waiting and having to go down there to ask what the deal is would've been nice - especially seeing as this is Apple's screw-up, not mine. (Well, technically Seagate's screw-up, but you get the idea.) I mean, that isn't too much to ask for, is it? (That's a serious question - this is my first time dealing with the Genius Bar.)

Man, I love the heck out of Apple's products, but the personalities of their Geniuses sure leave a lot to be desired.

Pardon my complaining, I'm just annoyed.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Chemmy posted:

Call Apple's customer service line on the phone and explain the situation.

Stupid question, but: what can they do? I mean, they can't exactly force the Genius Bar to work on my computer IMMEDIATELY, can they?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

FCKGW posted:

Of course they can.

...Oh.

Well I guess I'll call them then. Thank you, good sir!

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Shin-chan posted:

You're being too polite then. Yes, call Apple Support, give them the ticket/reference number that the Apple Store gave you, and complain. Apple has service requirements that the stores are supposed to meet.

We had to call and complain to get a monitor fixed on a business account. We had waited 5 days to get a logic board fixed in a cinema display. When I called the store they said it would be another couple of days. Turns out the genius had broken the glass and they were waiting on that part. I called bullshit and called Apple Support because parts ship overnight. We had the monitor back by the end of that day.

Well, I called. Here's the deal: the person that would tell the Apple Store to hurry the hell up is Customer Relations, which is only available to talk to Monday through Friday, not Sunday. However, I did speak with a very nice Apple Repairman guy on the phone, who said that even though it's not in his authority to get them to hurry the hell up, I have a few options:

1) I simply wait the 7 extra days the mouth-breathers at this particular Genius Bar said it will take. The Default option. Certainly not the one I'd like to take.

2) I can go back to the Apple Store, get my computer back unfixed, and this Apple Repairman gentleman can order the Hard Drive himself, and it will a few days to get, and then a certified Apple technician will come to my house and replace it.

or:

3) Wait til tomorrow, call Customer Service again to get the Customer Relations person, and have them basically poke that particular Genius Bar with a stick until they finish my computer.

Obviously, I'm having a tough choice picking between 2 and 3. I'm leaning toward 3 though, since there's the chance I'd get the computer fixed quicker if I did that. Goons, I beseech thee: which option would YOU go with?

EDIT: edited for accuracy.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
And now, an update about my iMac and the Apple Genius Bar:

SERIOUS posted:

3) Wait til tomorrow, call Customer Service again to get the Customer Relations person, and have them basically poke that particular Genius Bar with a stick until they finish my computer.

Well, I decided to go with Choice 3.

Yesterday (Monday) I called Apple and explained my situation. They put me through to Customer Relations, where I again explained my situation. They contacted the store I left my Mac at, and then the Apple Customer Relations person told me "I spoke with the store, and your computer is the first one they'll work on tomorrow, and it'll be ready for you tomorrow evening."

I said "Promise? If I go there, it'll be ready?"

He laughed and said "Yes sir, it'll be ready."

I said "Okay great, thank you sir." I was hoping it'd be ready that day, but whatever, what's one more day?

So now, today's the day. So I go to the Apple Store. They didn't call me, but I figured maybe they called my house, since no one was home. I go there and an employee greets me and I tell him I'm here to pick up my iMac, as it's supposed to be ready today. He says "Sure, let me get it."

He goes to the back, while I wait. He comes out ten minutes later, and says: "Okay, the hard drive has been replaced, but the glass has to be cleaned and it's very tedious, so the computer won't be ready til tomorrow."

I flip my poo poo.

I demand to see the manager, and after another ten mintes, the manager comes out. I tell him that I need my hard drive replaced for an issue that is ENTIRELY Apple's fault (and Seagate's really), I had to wait 5 days for the task to be completed, only for that 5 days to become 7 days, and then THAT to become ANOTHER seven days, only to complain to Apple HQ, and have Apple HQ tell them to fix my computer for TODAY, only to come in today and discover it's STILL NOT DONE. I told him this was unacceptable and the complete disregard for my time and patience is flat out insulting and arrogant.

He says "I understand your frustrations, you're getting mixed signals."

I retort: "No, I'm not getting mixed signals - I'm getting very clear signals, and YOU guys are basically flipping me the bird and dragging your feet. I'm tired of this."

The manager then explains that the iMac screen is cleaned with an anti-static brush, the process could take two hours, and that no one qualified is available to do it right now. He then says he could just put the glass back on the iMac, but it'd require my approval, and therefore if I approve such a thing, if anything happened to my display as a result of static electricity or whatever, Applecare would not cover it, as I authorized a "tainted" glass display cover.

Well gee, they've got me by the balls now, I guess.

Basically I scolded him some more, then stormed out. When I got home I called Apple and again left a complaint that this particular Apple store disregarded THEIR ORDERS that my computer be finished TODAY. (I'd have even stayed longer and called Apple on my phone right there in front of the manager, but my phone was dead and I had a family engagement to get to.) Seriously, this is complete bullshit. I've NEVER dealt with customer service this horrible.

I apologize to you all for this wall of text but I've gone from feeling annoyed to disrespected and furious.

fart blood fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 3, 2011

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

When I brought in my iMac last year it took the guy 15 minutes to clean the screen.

So not only are they dragging their feet, they're lying to me. Gee, that's just swell.

japtor posted:

To help the rest of us avoid this store like the plague, where is this one?

Roosevelt Field Mall, Long Island New York. (I'm in Queens, and there's no Apple Store in Queens that I know of, and I really diidn't feel like dragging an iMac on the subway to Manhattan.)

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

NOTinuyasha posted:

The mall stores are always terrible, I need to take mine in for a defective hinge and I _need_ my laptop for work, otherwise I'm stuck with an old PowerBook. I have a choice between Roosevelt Field and Walt Whitman, I guess I'll try my luck at the Whitman store.

There's an Apple Store on Northern Boulevard in Manhasset - it's a bit out of the way for you, but try that. I didn't even know it was there but now that I do, I'll definitely try that one instead of that horrible Roosevelt Field one.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Welp, got my computer back. :unsmith:

It was a total nightmare and I'll never go back to that particular Apple Store for service ever again, but it's nice to able to do work again.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Just when I thought I was done with the Apple Store from Hell....

I was moving my iMac, and holding it from the bottom of the screen, and something poked my finger.

I feel around and, on the bottom of the aluminum shell for the screen, is a ding....as if it was banged against the edge of a table or something.

It's not noticeable unless you feel for it, (and frankly I doubt it's even less than a millimeter in length) and it doesn't effect my computer's performance at all....but it definitely wasn't there BEFORE I left it at the store. (and the sheet i have of my repair shows "cosmetic condition: normal" so that establishes it wasn't there prior to my taking it in...)

So, just when I thought I'd never have to deal with this hellhole of an Apple Store again, now I have to go down there and ask why the hell my iMac has a tiny ding on the bottom of the screen's aluminum casing, that really could only have gotten there if it'd have been dropped along the edge of something.

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

FlashBangBob posted:

This is why support surveys always use the things like 90th Percentile or 95th Percentile. There sometimes will be just one person with one case that sucks, in which their system fails and someone is left incredibly unhappy.

You should ask for a free iPod Touch for your troubles.

I already have an iPod and an iPhone, so getting a free iPod Touch will do nothing for me. Even if I got it, I'd probably never use it so it'd be a hollow victory. Maybe I should ask for a free 16gb wifi-only iPad....:frogbon: (Yeah I know, I'm reaching...)

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Space Racist posted:

Maybe you should just let it go, dude. It's a millimeter-sized ding on the bottom of the case that you never look at anyway. You don't strike me as the calmest person, so do you really want to go back to that store just to huff and puff in the manager's face for... what exactly? A useless iPod touch like you mentioned?

I didn't mention the iPod touch - someone else did and I said I'd have no use for it.

I normally am quite a calm person (check my post history - I'm really quite polite usually! :)), but I think I'm certainly entitled to be aggravated after this debacle. Besides, what if that ding is because my iMac was dropped, and now the insides are all wonky? I won't know that. Considering I paid good money for this Mac, I'd like it to not be dropped.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Space Racist posted:

You're certainly entitled to be aggravated and pursue resolution however you see fit. I just find it annoying since this is the Mac Hardware thread, not the Complain About Apple Retail Stores thread. If you need to vent, there are other, more productive outlets - sjobs@apple.com, Yelp, etc.

I just figured it was okay to post about it here since it's about Mac hardware. I'll stop if it bothers anyone.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Scissors posted:

I'm not sure if you're pissy because you're a genius bar employee and feel personally attacked, or just an super "Apple can do no wrong" fanboy who's getting his panties in a wad.

Oh jeez, I didn't think about that: what if the Geniuses in this particular Apple Store are watching this very thread? :tinfoil:

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
So my 2011 iMac has been acting funky lately. When it boots up, it sometimes gets stuck on the grey Apple screen for several minutes before loading my desktop. Now, it's not shutting down; it gets to the grey screen with the little spinning thing, but then it gets stuck there and I have to force a shut down by holding the power button a few seconds. This isn't every time, but it's frequent. I checked "verify disk" in Disk Utility and it says the disk appears to be okay.

Anybody else having this issue? I'm running Lion 10.7.4 and I installed avast for Mac recently.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

fleshweasel posted:

Shameful. Turn in your black turtleneck and reset SMC.

Well after the botnet fiasco even though my computer wasn't affected I just wanted to double-down on safety! :frogbon:

triplexpac posted:

I just got my refurb iMac, looking forward to getting it home and hooking it up! Are there any tests or anything I should run to be sure everything is in good working order?

I've never bought a refurb before, just want to be sure everything is good in case I need to return it.

I can't think of any tests, but at what time period was this iMac made? Because mine came from a production line that had faulty hard drives and I had to get it replaced.

Link: http://www.macworld.com/article/1161313/seagate_1tb_hard_drive_imac_replacement.html

I'm not sure if the refurb replaced the HD or not, might want to check and make sure if that's the case.

fart blood fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 28, 2012

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

triplexpac posted:

Mine is a May 2011 refurb, so I'll take a look into that at the very least. Thanks!

I'm warning you now, my experience at the Genius Bar getting it replaced was not a stellar one. It took 2 weeks because they were incompetent. If you do have to get it replaced, be prepared to wait a bit. But I hope mine was just an isolated incident...

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Sonic Dude posted:

Could still be a hard drive. What does SMART Utility say?

Oh man, I just read the part about installing Avast. Remove that poo poo, then try again. Hard drive is now your #2 suspicion.

I uninstalled Avast, and the shutdown was almost immediate, and the boot up was back to normal.

I guess the lesson here is Avast for Mac slows things down a lot.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

triplexpac posted:

Getting used to Lion is taking some time though.

Lion is.....really not good. This is the weakest, most half-assed OS X update since Panther.

I've gotten used to it but I am really hoping Mountain Lion is more polished.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Argali posted:

This brings me back to my original question: Given the varied opinions on external hard drives, is the Time Capsule a god choice?

I have a time capsule and so far it seems to be working. But I must say, I don't see any fans on it, so that thing must get really hot.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
So I'm in the market for a Macbook Pro. However, I am a graphic designer, and this will be my backup computer to work on when I'm away on company trips or weekends, which is becoming much more frequent. I do not want to get the Macbook Pro with Retina display, because it's way too early, anything not retina-optimized looks terrible on it, and frankly it's too expensive.

So I figured, I'll go with the original Macbook Pro. It's not as thin, but I really don't care much about thinness as much as performance. To save money, I figure I'd try the 13 Incher. My question is: any design people here? If so, any of you like working on the 13-incher? Or is the 15-incher a sweeter deal for slightly more money?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

a bad poster yall posted:

I'm a graphic designer in a (similar) boat. My machine at work isn't the fastest but it's nippy enough and it\s significantly quicker than my current one at home (C2D 2.4 4GB 2008 MBP) and I'm looking to buy a new one in the next few months.

I've ruined a few of the last pages asking stupid questions but yeah it does feel a bit too early for the retina, but at the same time the price difference between the MBPs and the retinas just seems too small for me to not think that getting a vanilla MBP would be a mistake.

With regards to your size question, I'd say the lower resolution as TheWevel said will drive you made if you're trying to do legit design work on it. I'm currently considering getting the top spec Air instead which while 2" smaller has the same resolution as the normal MBP (1440x900).

Are you a print or digital designer? I'm thinking for print work at least and any iOS design work, the retina could be pretty beautiful.

I've never tried a high res MBP but I'll have a look at one this weekend.

Also I can't help but think that the resale value on a MBP in its current state is going to be lower than an Air as the bulk and old style will put potential buyers off.

Mostly digital design. I do print on occasion but it's pretty rare.

Don't misunderstand me about the retina Macbook Pro - it's a beautiful machine. It's just that anything not optimized for retina (like certain apps, as well as almost EVERY website out there) look up-resed and pizelated. Plus, it's also almost $4000 for the ideal one I'd want, even with cutting corners (like just the 256gb SSD or something.)

Not sure I'd consider the Air though, it feels TOO small.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Bob Morales posted:

I'd grab a hi-res 15" refurb and load it up with RAM.

The standard MBP 15" can only go up to 8GB of Ram though, right? (Or can it go higher but Apple only offers up to 8GB?)

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey...perhaps someone here can help me. This is a Mac hardware issue.

I have a time capsule for backup. I used to have time warner cable, and Time Capsule worked fine with it. Now I have Verizon Fios. And now my time capsule won't play nice.

Doing google searches, I found out HOW to troubleshoot it. The problem is, all the troubleshooting I found involves all OSes prior to Mountain Lion.

The solution is to put the time capsule into Bridge Mode. The problem is, I have no clue how to do that in Mountain Lion, as the interface in the Airport utility has changed. Here is a screen cap of what the new Airport Utility looks like, to me:

In addition, I click that edit button on the lower right hand corner, and I can't find ANY option for setting the time capsule to Bridge Mode. Apple message board searches haven't provided any luck. Can anyone here provide any assistance?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Harry Totterbottom posted:

Edit > Networks >Router Mode

:ughh: How did I NOT see that? I feel like a goof. Thanks! :)

Hardflip posted:

FYI it's 2880x1800, and Photoshop CS6 doesn't support retina yet. They showed it off at WWDC but there's been no ETA on the update.

It will be amazing for designing retina iPad and iPhone apps when its out though.

What bothers me is Adobe is only implying a Retina update for Photoshop, and has mentioned nothing about Retina updates for their other apps.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Hardflip posted:

It would be loving terrible if they didn't update it till CS7 next May or whenever.

Don't be surprised if they do that. As a professional graphic designer I've been screwed by Adobe many times and this wouldn't phase me.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm sad. I'd love a 13" rMBP, but there's no option to upgrade it to 16 gigs of RAM and I'm a designer so I'd really need that now. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
So I'm getting an apartment and I'm thinking of purchasing a MacBook Pro as my new computer for my new beginnings.

I'm a designer by trade, so this may make things tricky for me. On one hand, i obviously want a decked out MacBook Pro Retina, but the screen is so nice it actually makes it difficult to see if typography would look good on 99% of computer screens (that, and InDesign is the only Adobe program to not have a retina update yet.)

So I could get the regular MacBook Pro, as the screen would be better to design on, but Apple will only offer up to 8 gigs of RAM in it, and I'd like 16. I know I could add the RAM myself, but that also voids the warranty and with a product like Apple's I really don't want to do that.

Advice, goons: if you were picking a MBP, which is ideal?