Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

flavor posted:

Well apart from 8MB being what I had in the early 90s, I love "tell me what I need" questions. What you need and should buy totally depends on your own usage patterns, which you're not giving much of a hint on. There are also factors like what kind of money you can spend, how long you want to keep this thing and others. For my typical usage, a 128GB SSD would have been full before I'd have gotten all my apps on it, let alone a Windows VM or boot camp partition. 256 would also be pushing it. I'd also be constantly filling out the 4GB, so I went with 8. As for the CPU, I'm not so much just watching for speed, but also for the fact that the i7 has hyperthreading and can make background processing even less disruptive. There's also the aspect that I tend to keep Apple items until after the AppleCare runs out, so I'd like to be as future proof as possible.

I understand what you mean but he is probably looking for general opinions from various people since most of us can't describe our own usage patterns. Which is why I'm lurking this thread instead of reading a few benchmarks before ordering.

Do people with the 128 drives end up wishing they went for the 256? Is the 4gb laggy in real world scenarios? Does the i7 actually make a difference in day to day computing activity?

Of course we can read the reviews online and see benchmark scores, but the qualitative reviews are extremely helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
I'd like to get a general opinion on AppleTV. After I pick up my Macbook Air our entire house is going to be apple. Iphones/MacBooks/Ipads.

Does AppleTV allow for any type of file I may have on the various mac device to be played in 1080p?
Do I have to do anything weird like put it on ITunes and then play it or can I just say "play file X on device Y"?

e: vvv thanks, I'll read that thread.

Oceanlife fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 26, 2013

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
After much tire kicking I put in an order for a 2013 Macbook Air 256gb with 8gigs of ram. I opted for the 1.3 instead of the 1.7 which I hope I won't regret. Delivery date is set for the 16th of July, I can't wait. Thanks to everyone in this thread for helping me get my first mac ordered.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
I just brought my Macbook Air 2013 13" Home and the battery life has been around 6.5 hours.

This doesn't seem normal, I haven't gone crazy with the brightness but this is my first mac and I'm not sure if I'm making a newbie mistake. Any advice would be appreciated.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
Bluetooth, Steam (no games), Skype, Facetime, web browsing.

I noticed the problem as soon as I set my mail up, it was showing 12 hours at the Apple Store. I'm thinking the constant syncing could be doing it?

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Joe Don Baker posted:

Mail shouldn't really do that. Were the websites you visited Flash or Silverlight heavy? Youtube or Netflix as was mentioned?

I haven't messed with the videos yet. Is there an App to determine what the sources of the battery drain are? I would be going to Task Manager if this were windows but I don't know if there is an equivalent.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
Thanks for the help so far. Steam is using 25-27% of my CPU and Mail is using 34-42%.

I'm not sure what mail could possibly be doing unless it's downloading every attachment I ever had.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
You wouldn't regret it, but with student discount from Apple you can get the price for a 1.3/8gb/256 for 1330ish with a 100 gift card to the app store.

I've been playing Civ V on this setup and it's working really well.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
I guess a plastic iphone will work since most people throw them in cases anyway.

Also 2 weeks in and I'm still thoroughly impressed with the new macbook air. It was my first time going to an Apple OS and it was very easy to pick up and learn. I didn't realize how much build quality would impact the experience of using a laptop. Other trackpads seem horrible in comparison and plastic computers just feel less comfortable to use and flimsy. There is no bloatware, my granddad who got a PC laptop has to deal with popups from antivirus software all the time. The GPU is very solid. Tasks are completed extremely quickly. It looks really good and is extremely light. I do a lot of Skype and everyone remarks at how good my voice sounds and how clear the picture is. And most importantly, it has yet to make me frustrated on angry.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
So I want to do the duel monitor setup with my MBA 2013.

Question: How well does a Thunderbolt -> HDMI conversion work? Is there significant lag?

And what are the advantages to going all out and getting the Thunderbolt Monitor (which I assume is going to be lowered in price when the new one comes out)?

Ideally I'd like to use one of the old 16:9 monitors for the time being and then upgrade from there.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

CerebralDonut posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but do you guys generally recommend getting 8 gb of ram for the MBA? My friend wants to get the MBA, but literally all she'll do is surf the internet/use Word. I know you can't upgrade the ram on apple devices, but I feel that 8 gb will be overkill, especially with Mavericks. Thoughts?

I have a 2013 i5 8gb 256. My girlfriend has a 2012 i5 4gb 128. I really haven't ever noticed a difference when I'm messing around with office or surfing the internet.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Radish posted:

I've been looking into getting a laptop for a while and thought about getting a Macbook since every Windows based laptop I've had for work has been god-awful despite how expensive they were for the company to buy. I'm probably looking at getting one second hand. My dad became a big Apple guy a while ago but I've never really used one so I don't know much about them other than they are really expensive. I just found out that he has an old Macbook pro that he stopped using the last time he upgraded lying around and he offered to give it as a present/sell it to me. I'm just wondering if this is something that is still usable (I think he upgraded the RAM to 4 gigs) or should I just keep looking into more modern second hand machines? I want to use it to do some programming stuff and load bootcamp on it to have both OSes covered. It still looks fairly stout for being a four year old machine but I just don't have a frame of reference for it.

http://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.26-aluminum-13-mid-2009-sd-firewire-800-unibody-specs.html

Obviously everyone has different budgets but Apples aren't that expensive when you factor in their residual value. Like you, every Windows laptop I have is beat, my Macbook Air in 5 months has none of the wear or defects I anticipated having with Windows. A used Apple wouldn't make me nearly as nervous as a used Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Shaocaholica posted:

Apple still letting people buy 4GB computers in 2014. I figure by now 8GB would be standard-minimum.

I sometimes use a 2013 8gb MBA next to a 2012 4gb MBA and I really can't tell the different in normal day to day stuff. I'd always recommend springing for the 8gb, but at the moment it doesn't always make that much of a difference.