Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Dilemma

I have an iPad 2 but want a new air. I can't really justify having both. Ive thought about selling my iPad but ive spent a bit on apps. Are you able to use apps in osx lion?

I just really don't see myself using an air and an iPad, though I don't have a personal computer of my own. I think the air would just replace everything the iPad does.

Ass Catchcum fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I'm looking to get a new Air.

If I get an 11" but upgrade so it's

1.8GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
128GB Flash Storage

What am I missing out on that I would get in a 13" other than screen space and battery life?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Hey, about to buy a 11" air with the i7 upgrade and apple care.

can someone talk me out of upgrading from 128g to 256? If I don't plan on keeping my music/video collection on there and don't use a lot of programs...so, is there a reason to do so?...I also get a discount so the upgrade would only be about 250 dollars...:( i'm so tempted.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I was probably going to use it until the next major update came out and then sell it to upgrade.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I will just get the upgraded hard drive because I don't want to feel any constraints and 250 when I'm already spending that amount of money isn't that much.

What HD is 'better' isn't apple shipping two different manufacurers right now and one is better than the other? Which one is better?

How long do I have to buy Apple care?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Hamburglar posted:

I figured the computer is for stuff like paying bills or doing checking account stuff, which can be pretty cumbersome on a cellphone or iPad. Also, browsing a bunch of sites at once. I know you can do it on an iPad and iPhone, it just seems much easier on an actual laptop. The keyboard is obviously to help with typing.

On her own she was messing with the photo booth thing, that I didn't even know existed, and was playing with it for quite a while and having fun. I guess I meant neat stuff like that, rather than what word processors to get for it. She does not use a computer at work.

Dude return it and get her a white iPad 2 with a pink cover and a BT apple keyboard and she'll prolly be all over your diz. the ipad has photobooth and a ton of bill apps from most major banks.

Now, real talk, when I get this new air what's the best way to calibrate/get the most out of my battery?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
That's a year away and may or may not happen though.

I ended up going with the upgraded drive just because I didn't want to worry about any constraints or regrets.

I want to install office, final draft, Diablo 3...I don't want to have to worry about space.

Plus I figure come next year the extra hard drive space isn't going to HURT the resell value...

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Got my new air! Very sick computer. Got the 'good' HD as well.

Two quick questions...

Safari seems faster than Chrome...true?

With the revamped spotlight, is there a need for a program like Quicksilver?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Just got a new macbook air and after a couple days of using it accidentally let it get down to 0%. Did I gently caress up my battery? I think it doesn't charge as fully anymore but it might just be in my head.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Can I run borderlands from the mac app store on my macbook air? i7 1.8 and 4gigs ram?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
What's the best way to clean a macbook air's screen?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
with an air or any macbook, when I charge it, should I always be using the heavy duty extender that comes with it?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

BigHandsVince posted:

So, I bought a plastic shell thing to protect the outside, I didn't even notice that the Apple lit up.
It looks super cool under the smoked plastic.

Heavy and clunky was definitely part of the description, along with loud and hot and a bit sketchy under load.

I'm surprised at how well photoshop runs, it's even pretty useable with the touchpad.

The screen isn't retina but at the default sizes everything looks pretty good to me.

Thanks for the tip, I'm having a look now.

Can you link to the smoked screen protector you bought?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Just ordered a macbook air 13" with 512GB 8GB and i7, lets do it baby.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Quine Connoisseur posted:

Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty accurate description of what it sounds like. I might pop open the back panel later on tonight and see if I can figure out what's going on.

This is what I've got and it's pretty incredible (except for the incessant popping :argh:), you're going to love it.

Popping?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

redcheval posted:

Oooh, these are awesome. ~$50 is what my hard cases always cost on my previous laptop so it doesn't sound too shabby, all things considered. Thank you!

Not sure if you already made a purchase, but I'm a huge fan of

http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Candy-Ma...acbook+air+case

Very slim, and very protective. Well made product and gets the job done.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Out of the game for a little bit, if I want to load windows to play some Steam games, what is the best way? Bootcamp or Parallels? And which version of Windows should I be getting for each? The latest? Is that Windows 8?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Will the battery on my new 2013 Macbook Air 13" be effected negatively if I leave it plugged in/charging + on all the time except when I unplug it to use it on the couch/out of the house?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Realistically when we seeing new rMBP?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I hope the new rMBP is the best new computer ever.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
So $200 off on the latest model is pretty crazy, right? That must mean the new ones are right around the corner.

Are we expecting any significant changes?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
yeah but what kind of updates are we thinking?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
What is the tape trick.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Lol yeah I'm not going to put tape on a 3k+ mbp wtf

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Everyday I check this thread for the mpb refresh announcement. Every. day.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
What is a good brightness to keep my Air at? I use Flux for nighttime auto settings but I usually keep it at half brightness and then if I'm playing a game or something go to full. is that ok?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Wait gently caress does that mean no rmbp this year?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
No I'm sorry I'm just not that bright. I figured they would refresh all their laptops at once. Back in the day their releases seemed more cohesive. Thanks for the info I'll go back to waiting in my corner.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Hell yeah so for a moron like me if that Polaris thing is true is that great news?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Hey sorry to ask again but if that Polaris thing is true is that a huge deal?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
How good is the new MacBook. I literally just like to open lots of tabs and do stuff in word/final draft. Is it gonna struggle at all? I was gonna wait for a new pro

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Looking at the specs...is my maxed out 2013 air more powerful than the new MacBooks?! How is that possible?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Any vons for keyboard covers or laptop stands?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Wait I can't tell from your post. Which one is which

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Guess I will wait for the pro then.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I am dumb. Is a new rMBP going to be a big bump from what I have now?

Macbook Air 13" Mid 2013
1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
8GB memory
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Are apps like Memory Clean needed/useful?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I deleted it. Just trying to learn and make better choices.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I am having trouble deciding between the new rMB and the forthcoming rMBP. I just played with the new MB and went from hating the keyboard to really liking it.

All I usually have open is Word, Final Draft, a mail client (Boxy) and Safari with 3-7 tabs open. Anyone else have a similar set up and using a new MB? If it doesn't choke, I may as well use that and save myself some cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Played with the macbook at best buy on lunch and fell in love. Space Grey is so sexy. Ordered a maxed out one and a herschel sleeve. the true hipster way.