Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I've got a little dilemma.

I'm thinking of upgrading from my 15" 3.1 Rosetta Macbook Pro. Problem is, I can't decide between the 13" Air and the 13" Macbook Pro (can't afford a 15" yet).

They cost the same, the Air is lighter and has a better screen (same resolution as my old Macbook Pro), yet isn't really upgradeable when it comes to ram. The MBP is uh, heavier, has the same internals, a crappier screen and a superdrive that will probably poo poo itself after 2 months of use.

Also, there's rumors that a new MB Air is coming out. I need a laptop for web design, and I really can't decide. Please help dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So I just pulled the trigger and bought a 13" Air. I ordered it through Apple's education discount page, and since I wasn't on campus, I had to call their support center. The lady on the phone said the laptop should be here within 2 days.

Today is the second day with no super sexy thin laptop in sight. Should I give them another ring or wait it out? I got an email with the sales lady's contact info, and a link to my order on apple's page, but it says it will be delivered on the 16th. Is this normal? :ohdear:

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I'm in the UK, so you gotta pay tax either way.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

kuskus posted:

Hey, guess what: Apple Adapter Replacement Program

SON OF A BITCH

I just bought a new MBP adapter 4 days ago (on my third one). gently caress. I guess you can't get a refund if you threw out your old one and got a new one (twice :v:) ?

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 8, 2011

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Just found out that previous MBAs had dedicated GPUs. The current ones don't have that, which seems kinda silly. Any particular reason for that? :confused:

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I meant dedicated in the sense that the older MBAs had a separate GPU unit from nVidia/ATI and not a sucky, integrated one from Intel. :v:

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 11, 2011

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Just got my 13" Air. Photoshop CS5 loads in 1.5 seconds. :pcgaming:

Doing design work on this thing is a dream. A DREAM I TELL YOU EVERYONE BUY A MACBOOK AIR LIKE NOW NOW NOW.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 16, 2011

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

How are you supposed to maintain a healthy battery? I've got a new Macbook Air, and so far it's been through 37 cycles (2 months). Should I try keeping the laptop plugged in most of the time and discharge and fully charge it every month? Anything else?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I bought a 13" Macbook Air 6 months ago and now I feel like crap. :(

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

So did I. Big deal. Chances are if you have the Air, you're not doing anything with it that's going to be greatly affected by upgrading.

I use it for web design and app development. If the new Airs come with retina displays then I might do something really stupid. :negative:

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 11, 2012

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

xzzy posted:

When my raspberry pi finally shows up, project number one is getting airplay in my car.

They have an unsecured airplay screen at my gym and it's the coolest thing to dick around with.. makes me feel like Stark when he's testifying before congress in iron man.

How would you go about doing that? I've got two raspberry pi's and I'd love to have something nice like that in my car.

Bob Morales posted:

I tried to convince the last developer we hired to get the Air but he insisted on the 13" Pro

Maybe you guys need a UI/UX designer? :frogbon:

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

:aaa:

You're awesome, thanks!

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So what's the command to disable it?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Went to an Apple store to pick up the new 13" rMBP with a 256 gig ssd and 8gb ram. Genius dude told me they didn't have any at their store, and that all these models have been recalled because apparently there's a fault with the trackpad. Was he talking out of his rear end? Since he advised me to just order one online. Wtf.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Hmm, a PC world near me has the 13" mid rmbpro. Is the malfunctioning keyboard/trackpad issue fixable via software update? Or is it a hardware bug?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So, my 2011 MBA is telling me to service the battery (got Applecare until mid 2014), and the genius bar told me I'd have to leave it at the store at least for a week to get the battery swapped. Now since this is my main work laptop (I work from home), and I always have poo poo to do, leaving it at the store for a week is impossible. Erm, what are my options?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

1997 posted:

That's hosed because battery replacements should be done same day if the part is in stock. Did they say they needed to order a battery?

Nope, they told me battery replacements take at least a week. Got the same reply at the Covent Garden and Oxford Circus stores. I seriously don't know wtf. Don't battery replacements take like 30 minutes to complete? My Applecare runs out in November, and I'd love to get battery fixed before that happens. :(

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 28, 2013

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Caged posted:

There's tons of AASPs in London who can probably be more flexible than a store in terms of not wanting to take your laptop off you for a week.

Will they not charge me for a battery replacement if it's covered by Applecare?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I've got a late 2007 Macbook Pro that I just fixed up and put Snow Leopard back on, dang is it fast with that on it. Also removed the keyboard and gave it a good cleaning, holy poo poo was there a lot of gunk there. I guess I was a pretty gross student in 2007-2011. Anyway, since I have a 2011 Air and and a late 2013 rMBP, I'm wondering what kind of cool stuff I can do with my old MBP. It has a 320 GB drive, I wonder if I can turn that into a time machine. I'd love to be able to do updates without having to plug in an external drive every now and again.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Pivo posted:

You can sell it and buy an actual Time Capsule.

Yeah but I love tinkering with stuff.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Pivo posted:

I don't think it would make a particularly nice server. 320GB isn't really big enough to be worthwhile. What do you really want to do with it? Just the Time Machine thing? You could throw that on any networked drive (though not sure if they ever fixed it being unreliable).

I would just sell it. If it's in good working order, it's worth something to someone who actually needs a laptop. You want to tinker, get a Raspberry Pi.

Maybe I'm just getting old and don't see the point.

Oh I already own a RPI. :haw:

And yeah, my olde mac in perfect working order, everything's fine sans the DVD drive. The battery even holds an hours worth of juice. Apparently time capsules come in 3TB configs, that would be perfect for my storage needs. Just to be sure, can I use a time capsule as a network drive while also using it as a time machine backup?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Heh so I just sold my 2007 Macbook Pro, apparently the guy I sold it to works at Apple retail. He said he has to be early at work tomorrow because they're getting a new shipment in. Guess what that is :haw:

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

keevo posted:

I went to the Apple store last week about my wobbly screen and the guy at the Genius Bar told me that it would cost $200-400 because they'd have to replace the entire screen. I thought it was just the hinge that needed replacement (which I'm still convinced is the case), but he told me it needs to be the entire screen because of some part that can only be changed by replacing the entire screen. It also has something to do with the screen moving horizontally (not sure if this is the best word to explain it) from the laptop.

I can't really afford to replace the screen right now but I also don't want to keep dealing with this wobbly rear end screen that's probably going to get worse.

How old is it? Do you have Applecare?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Got myself a 16GB/512SSD rMBP. Holy.poo poo. I'm a UI/UX designer who previously worked on a late 2011 MBA, and for poo poo like iPhone mockups and wireframes the Air was ok, since I usually did one thing a time. This thing though :stare:

Got half of the Adobe suite running simultaneously, got a VM doing VM things and a local server trudging away with no noticeable slow downs. Best £2k+ I've ever spent.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

You get free applecare with an edu discount in the uk.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I bought a baseline late 2013 rMBP and kept it for 2 weeks about a month ago. It handled Photoshop and CSGO like a pro. I was amazed at how beefy onboard graphics had become. I'm a freelance UI designer, and take my machine to my client offices, and I didn't have a single problem running all of Adobe's resource-intensive stuff. It handled all the bloated typical design agency photoshop/aftereffects/indesign/illustrator files without a hitch.

But I later returned the machine and got a fully specced out rMBP because gently caress it, I need 16 gigs of ram and a 512 SSD. That and I dick about a lot of with VMs, so the extra juice comes in handy when you're running three OSes.

I can't tell the difference between Photoshop and Steam games in OS X with this new machine, though. But I really suggest getting 16 gigs of ram, as that bit is not upgradable, and a half TB SSD is really useful. But if you go for those specs, you also get the nVidia GPU, and when you're dropping £2k on a machine, might as well go the extra mile and get the best of the best.

EDIT: Just be sure to get Applecare, something will always go wrong and the least opportune time.

EDIT 2: If you're buying this for non-pro related work, then the baseline rMBP is perfect for you. I've had the luxury of filing this as a business related expense, and I wouldn't feel comfortable getting such a beast of a machine for casual everyday computing.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 13, 2014

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I Might Be Adam posted:

I'm getting a new rMBP this year and will see if I can claim it on my taxes this year as a business expense because of my freelance work. I wonder if education discount affects that outcome.

I filed it as a business expense while using my uni discount. Not sure how legal that is. My accountant still hasn't gotten back to me. :v:

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

ShadeofBlue posted:

I've never bought AppleCare. At this point even if my next computer has some catastrophic failure I still will have saved money.

My feeling is that Apple offers AppleCare because it makes them money, so it has to be inherently a bad deal for the consumer. It can be useful if a major repair would be a serious problem financially, but if you can afford a repair like that, you are unlikely to save money in the long run by buying AppleCare.

buy apple poo poo with a student discount, blammo, $50 applecare forever (or somewhere in the <$100 margin).

you get a student discount if you have a working college email, you don't even need a card.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Kreeblah posted:

AppleCare has different prices for different products. Getting it on an rMBP from the education store is $239.

Point was it's way cheaper with a student discount. and 239 is really worth the peace of mind on a $2k+ machine, esp since in my experience apple tends to replace more poo poo for free (even it's user error) if you've got applecare. Also, things tend to break more for me when I don't have Applecare

Hell I spilled tea on a macbook air with applecare, and they replaced the battery for free (granted, the machine worked perfectly fine after it dried off).

I've also had apple replace countless chargers that I managed to break, and the moment i mentioned applecare they were like here's a new one, enjoy.

IMO it's helped me get poo poo sorted quicker, and $239 isn't a lot of money anyway when you're talking Apple products. It may change in the future, but so far I think it's a good investment, esp for a careless person such as myself.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 26, 2014

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Selklubber posted:

Is a retinal Imac implanted directly into your retina? :ohdear:

And I'm feeling pretty smug about Applecare, Norwegian laws says that computers have to work for 5 years :smug:

more like governmentcare amirite :haw:

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So I gave my mid-2011 Macbook Air to my girlfriend and last week it started doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LytyziJVho

I did a PRAM+SMC reset, which seems to have fixed the issue, but I was wondering what normally causes that? Our apartment has been getting more humid than normal, and according to the ~internet~ that can make the ram poo poo itself? Good thing we have a beefy dehumidifier now.

And of course my Applecare had run out literally 2 months prior.

:downs:

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 15, 2015

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Housh posted:

Set it as unlisted instead of private.

fixed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LytyziJVho

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So I've just set up a 2x2TB NAS at home and dedicated one drive to accept time machine backups. This feature is totally rad. Every time I come back home, my machine backs everything up and I don't have to plug in an external drive like a caveman anymore. poo poo rocks :cool:

Now to hook it up with Amazon Glacier and I'm golden. Praise stebe.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

frogbs posted:

Can you elaborate on your setup a bit? What brand NAS? Does the Time Machine drive get mounted automatically when you get home?

Sure, I bought a cheapo NAS enclosure and dropped 2 2TB drives in it. This is the enclosure: http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-ShareCenter-Network-Storage-Enclosure/dp/B004AIWOXY/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1423575313&sr=8-12&keywords=nas

It supports AFP and you can assign a drive to be your dedicated Time Machine. It auto syncs whenever I'm home and connected to my wifi. It's glorious.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don't know what it's like in the us but I'm in Ireland and the process of getting a student discount on Apple products from their own site is laughably easy. I don't think I once entered any actual info that proved I was in a college.
I've been out of uni for 4 years now and still get the student discount whenever I provide my uni email. It's worth it for the ridiculous discount they give you on applecare alone.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So my MagSafe adapter frayed at the block side of the cord. Will Apple replace it for free? I've got AppleCare on this machine.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Please follow best practices while wrapping the cord:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201600

I never wrap it like that. Anyway already exchanged my adapter Timb have my children

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Most likely law enforcement won't do anything about it. If you get an electronic device stolen it is gone for good.

The best option is to buy all your Apple tech with a decent credit card that comes with complimentary insurance. Obviously make sure Find My iPhone/Mac is enabled. Having FileVault on is generally considered good practise as well.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Most folk who game have a console. People who nee pro workstations already have them :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Does Apple offer refurb iPhones? Refurb.me only lists computers+everything else sans iPhone. I wonder why.