Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I've got a C2D unibody MBP from late 2008, and I'm having issues with either the Magsafe adapter or the battery. It's finicky about charging when it's plugged in; the Magsafe light turns on, but it will tell me it's not charging, then randomly charge for a bit, then not charge. I've tried different outlets with the same result. When it says it's not charging, the battery drains pretty steadily even though it shows the power source as being the adapter. Finally, it's got a 'service battery' warning, so I'm hoping it's just due for a new one. Any other ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Sonic Dude posted:

I've seen that issue a fair amount with the 85W adapters. It's been the adapter each time, but the "service battery" message you're getting makes me think there's something else afoot as well.

It ended up being the adapter. I pulled the battery and it was starting to bulge, so I'm assuming that's what was throwing the "service battery" error. Replaced it as well.

Now that I've got that sorted, it's time to bump the RAM to 8GB and throw in a bigger, faster hard drive.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

zalmoxes posted:

Read http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=573906
a 2008 MBP will support either 6 or 8GB of ram, depending what Revision you have. (You need DDR2 SO-DIMM PC2-5300

As for replacing the Superdrive, use http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

The late '08 MBP takes PC2-8500. At least, that's what's in mine.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Tonight I learned that my iMac G5 can do Home Sharing. I think I'm going to make it the server for my Apple TV.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

I think the real joke is that idle is 75W.

Yeesh. Should've thought about that. I was thinking about picking up a mini before I tried the G5, so maybe I'll do that instead.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I mentioned earlier that I was thinking about getting a mini, but I went to a local store today and noticed that they had the high-end early 2011 MBP (2.2 quad i7, 6750M 1GB, 750 gig HDD) for $1794.

Since I was considering replacing my late-'08 MBP anyway, I might just go with that instead of the mini. Is there anything I need to be aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
This morning I finally ended up pulling the trigger on that early '11 high-end MBP I mentioned earlier. In the meantime, the price had dropped to $1697, so I feel pretty good about it.

Now, to justify a Thunderbolt display...