Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
My old laptop always ran with the fans on full speed, making lots of noise. I replaced it with a 2011 MBA and was kind of disappointed that I still heard fan noise. However as it turns out, the fans I´m hearing now is actually my bathroom fan, I just couldn´t hear it before because of the laptop. The MBA is completely silent for me, even while testing 1080p streaming. Loving it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I've got a logitech MX518 and I'd like to make the back and forward buttons work in osx. I've heard about multiple programs which is supposed to be able to do this, usb overdrive, steermouse etc. Does anyone have experiences on which ones work well in general and in Lion?

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Hint: Alt + click volume in the menu bar lets you also choose outputs
I use it all the time to switch between HDMI and speakers since my MBA it's usually connected to my TV

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
My i5 2011 MBA consistently lasts 7h+ with typing and browsing when I turn down the screen brightness to like 3 bars

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Do you really, really think that ethernet is used by a large enough userbase that Apple cares about it? I highly doubt it

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Seems like the cheapest 21,5" iMac can't be bought with the fusion drive. Same with the Mac mini

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

FTFY. The 2008 MBA was a unique curiosity but it was incredibly expensive for what it was, seriously compromised (that hatch), and super underpowered. The bespoke HDD it came with was slow, relatively low capacity, and expensive. It was the Mac Cube of laptops.

The 2010 MBA is the real revolutionary device. It cut the price in half to MacBook levels, made a blistering, for the time, SSD that holds its own today for most uses standard, and came with competitive CPUs and a great selection of I/O (SD card slot!).

It gave the equivalent 13” MBP a run for its money. Literally the only argument in its favor was “do you think you’ll watch DVDs on your computer?” and I knew so many college students (like my little sister) and general shoppers at the time who went with the MBP out of attachment to the optical drive and immediately regretted it.

Then the 2011 came and blew that one out of the water with Core i-series CPUs and the first truly competitive integrated GPU from Intel in the HD3000. I remember running TF2 (lol) on mine right after I bought it and being shocked that a machine so thin could even handle it.

I am still using my 2011 MBA and it works for simple daily tasks. Definitely a great computer, and it’s just the last year I’ve started to feel the need to upgrade.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I’ve been quite pleased with Wipr to block ads in safari so far.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I do not regret buying the 512 gb 15” MBP last week for my safaris and my spreadsheets. I actually might have considered a 15” inch MacBook Air if that was released.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I regret not getting 16gb on my MBA. For general usage it’s fine, but if when I do photo editing in capture one and leave it up it starts to feel sluggish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

The New Apple Macbook Pro

Oh god this poo poo pissed me off so much when I was getting into Nintendo gaming recently and I had to browse for these things