Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

Rabid Snake posted:

I just had my first scare with my MBA. For some reason, my left USB port was not working. It did not recognize my iPhone or a USB drive I had. I was almost ready to take it back but I remember people saying to reset the SMC when you have a hard ware problem. I just did and now it works again. I think this is a sign telling me to go buy Apple Care... I'm driving down to get it now with an educational discount.

How old is your air? Remember as long as the unit is working you can purchase applecare during the entire first year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010
Are there any benchmarks out for the new lower end mac mini? I am wondering how the intel HD 3000 would handle Left 4 Dead 2 and TF2 with 8GB of ram.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

echobucket posted:

Okay, considering they have a 30 day money back return policy this is what I'm going to do. I'll report back here on my results once I get the ram. Hrm, I wonder, if I return it, do I have to return the flash drive?

Is there a good memory test program I can run once I get it to make sure things are running right?

I believe apple computers come with a diagnostics disc. Would not be a bad place to start.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010
I just purchased a new 15" MBP any recommendations for ram in order to take it up to 16GB? The stock 4 I bought it with is killing me after coming from the 8 on my 2010 13"

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010
I just purchased a 2011 15" and am going to list my old MBP 2010 13" on Craigslist.

Can anyone give me a rough price estimate of what I should ask? It still has like six months of applecare left on it, and has been upgraded to 8GB of Ram. It also is completely blemish free and I still have the original box, discs, and manuals.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

withak posted:

Yeah, people buying and selling right now near you are a better source of data than some website attempting to aggregate price data by country over some unknown time interval in the past.

Mac2Sell is telling me 820, there are people selling them stock on my local CL with 4GB of ram for 1000, so I will go in at 950 with 8GB trying to do a quick sale.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I was selling a 2.2C2D 13" Macbook Pro, 4GB of ram + 500gb hard drive for $800 shipped just a little while ago. Most people here and on Craigslist were offering around the Mac2Sell price of about $680, but I got full asking price on another forum I frequent - one less traveled by habitual Mac flippers.

So probably start at about $100 above Mac2Sell, and throw it up wherever you can.

Dont suppose you want to share that forum? I am actually not a typical mac flipper, I just really need as much ram as I can due to what I do for a living. 8GB to 16GB was worth the price.

My previous (before the 2010) mac lasted me two and a half years.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

I will preface this by saying that I am not a mac person. I own an iphone and kind of hate it and before the start of this year, I'd last touched a mac in maybe 2003.

My new girlfriend is a mac user. She has a mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15" and it's shiny and nice and easy to use, but she's not a computer person at all and keeps asking me how to do stuff, so I have 3 questions.

First, where do I learn to use OSX? I'm very familiar with Windows PCs and somewhat familiar with various Linuxes, but I'm a total mac newbie. I don't need a handholding step by step guide, but something to teach me the basics would be a good idea, I reckon.

Second, after some research, I decided that I could just buy a minidisplayport > HDMI cable and attach her laptop to her TV. It worked, BUT at first there was no sound (using VLC Player). I tried Quicktime, which worked, and then VLC Player worked. She's happy, I'm happy, but I need to know what "fixed" VLC Player in case it happens again.

Thirdly, she got a weird crackling noise from her speakers when trying to open an XML file associated with blogger.com. It opens fine on my XP machine and my Win7 machine, but not on her Macbook. She was freaking out thinking the loving thing had broken / was breaking, and even though the problem hasn't repeated (although I replicated it twice after reboots using that same file), I'd like to reassure her that her laptop's not hosed. Any good troubleshooting guides or steps I could check out?

Edit: Is there any way to buy a magic trackpad or equivalent that will work with full functionality with Windows 7? I love that loving trackpad and would happily replace my Logitech G5 with it except for gaming purposes.

You might find better answers to a lot of your questions in the software thread. As those all look software related.

As far as I know, no there is nothing exactly like the magic trackpad for windows. OSX has the gestures baked in, I believe Windows 8 may have some sort of implementation but I wouldnt hold my breath on it being overly useful.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010
Would this memory be ok to throw in my 2011 MBP? http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0363850

Anyone ever try that brand and have any opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

Space Racist posted:

Has anyone tried Lion on a base 2010 11" MBA? I'm eyeing the refurbs pretty heavily for a portable secondary machine this fall, but I'm hesitant to drop $750 + tax on one if it's going to be a dog out of the gate.

I have and it was fine. I know some people say lion is a bit slower, but I saw no decrease from SL.

Granted that was just using iTunes and safari. Its my travel computer.