Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

echobucket posted:

Are there any brands of third party batteries that are trustworthy and cheaper than the Apple one? It's $129 which seems kind of expensive to me.

OWC has one for $99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

My march 2009 mini is having start up problems. It started just after upgrading to Lion, but I think it was a coincidence. I get the 3 short 3 long 3 short beeps on startup indicating faulty ram.

It will eventually boot after several attempts, sometimes with an hour long or more break.

I've tried unplugging it to reset the SMC. I've switched 2 upgraded memory modules, tried 1 at a time and even put back the original 1GB stick alone.

Is this likely a logic board failure in progress?

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

Binary Badger posted:

^^^ Tried holding down D at bootup and running the hardware test?

Won't even boot anymore. Tried about 50 times. Just beeps

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

Just a heads up fellow Canadians...Futureshop has most of its Macs on sale right now
$50-$100 off. In-store or online

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/category/id/PCAppleSALE.aspx

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

The question sort of got bypassed...is there a good place to get just the cable? I want to move a second hard drive into my mini as well. I've already pulled it apart before to swap in a SSD

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

Syano posted:

What are the chances of a Mac mini refresh anytime soon? I want to get one for my kids for Christmas but I'd hate to buy now if a refresh will happen in a couple months.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Mini

Likely soon? No one knows for sure though.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

You can have both. The trackpad has its own preferences panel so tracking speed will be separate for each device.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

Does your tv have a 1:1 pixel mode? A lot of times its the default for dvi or vga connections but the hdmi ports default to a slightly zoomed in 16:9 mode to ensure any funky video artifacts on the edges are eliminated.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

Binary Badger posted:

Probably because they had to pay Apple's price on the part and tack on a profit. Also there is no way you can use a regular paper clip to take out the Mini logic board, it needs a pretty stiff alloy.

I used 2 small screwdrivers on my mini. Worked just fine.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

pupdive posted:

This MacBook:

MacBookPro7,1

It says 8GB max but I want more. It seems sometimes that 16 is possible. Any thoughts.

http://blog.macsales.com/16302-some-2010-mac-owners-can-get-more-ram-than-they-thought

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

Magic trackpad is great...The only problem I have is I get a low battery warning after just a few days, even though the batteries last me 2 months. Using Eneloops too.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

At the very least you can return the computer under two weeks if you don't like it. Or sell it after a few months. They hold their value very well.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

I have os x on an ssd and a windows bootcamp install on a platter drive in my 2011 mac mini.
Had a few power failures overnight and now the ssd wont show up. Is it likely dead? Holding option when booting only shows the windows install. No recovery or os x option appears,

The mini is a pain to disassaemble to get the hard drive out to test in an external box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

Those all come with OS X