Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I've been a long-term Windows user but I'm almost certainly going to switch over within the coming month. The switch in OS doesn't concern me, but trying to ascertain which Macbook Pro to get does. On one hand, Retina and Haswell :swoon:, but on the other hand, if Kerbal Space Program and Civ V are going to be probably the most intensive programs I run, is there any point in getting a rMBP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

IceAgeComing posted:

Refurb isn't an option in the UK at the moment unless you're planning to put down £1400+...

As someone who recently upgraded from an 11 inch Air to a 13 inch rMBP; I'd recommend the retina; especially if you're planning to be moving around a bit and don't need to be regularly using CDs or DVDs. Its actually cheaper as soon as you try to configure the old MBP with an SSD, which is a must for any new laptop because of just how quick it is. The worst part about it is when you're stuck using an app that's not been upgraded for retina because it looks so drat ugly...

Also, if you can, take advantage of education pricing; especially because you get applecare for £48; which will probably pay for itself over that time...

The laptop is going to be part-funded through Disabled Student's Allowance. My major concern, though, is upgradability, especially when it comes to the PCI-e SSD...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

shrughes posted:

or have some kind of brain disease that gives you an OCD desire to watch some video you torrented five years ago.

Point of order: that's called "OCD".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Finally got all the bureaucracy sorted out regarding getting a MacBook part-funded through my university. :woop:

I'm still wavering between the 8/256 and 8/512; the 256 is cheaper, but I'm concerned I won't have enough space if I install Boot Camp to play games. FWIW, my current (Windows) laptop is sitting at 175GB used, 50GB of which is my Steam folder. And that's on a laptop that can barely run CK2. :negative:

Should I go for the 512 to shield myself from having to get upgrades for a bit longer?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The 2TB Time Capsule is also more compact and comes with 802.11ac too.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I enabled hot corners, then thirty seconds into a Civ V game I immediately turned them off.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The MBA can run Kerbal Space Program, check yourself before you smash your lander into Vall. :colbert:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I went from an AMD E2 laptop (which was somehow rated to be Windows 8-ready) to an i5 rMBP. It's a massive step up; I can actually run Civ without waiting ten minutes between turns!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Moving the Mac Mini and Apple TV refreshes to October would probably make sense if Apple are banking on Continuity, after all; a Chromecast-like Apple TV could then be marketed as a cableless companion to iOS and OS X (especially with the AirDrop and AirPlay improvements in 8/10.10).

An iWatch release in October would make sense too given iOS 8 including HealthKit. An earlier release would be useless until that API was implemented; a later release makes HealthKit basically another Passbook. iWatch would probably work well with the BLE-powered iOS/OS X improvements too (I would be surprised if Apple didn't offer a OS X Health app come the iWatch release).

My poor wallet. :smith:

TinTower fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 8, 2014

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The Twitter app also takes up quite a bit of energy. Flash Player too; that's why I actually want EME in Safari, despite the fact I'm opposed to DRM.

Now if only Safari could catch up to Chrome on HTML5/CSS3 compatibility, that'd be great.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

No point in releasing new Haswell Macs with Broadwell expected for early next year, so don't hold your breath for a Mac line refresh hitting stores until after Christmas. Doesn't preclude a preview, however.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

My parents' computer (an aging Compaq) went up poo poo creek at the weekend and they've asked me to help find a replacement for them to buy. Would I be generally right in assuming that the energy savings of the £399 mini would offset the upfront cost?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

flavor posted:

I went with the mouse because I have enough trackpads already and I'm using both the Magic Mouse and the Magic Trackpad on the iMac. I like them both equally and think they have their uses, an opinion probably shared by 0.05% of posters here. (I crack up when people post "arghhlgrumbl I can't use that mouse because it's too small to fit my whole palm on it" - well you're not supposed to, and it's even shown in the little videos in the mouse setup!).
I like the keyboard with the keypad, but the advantage of the wireless one is that I can just grab it and use it on my lap once in a while if I feel like it, so it's equal love there as well.

I like my Magic Mouse. That said, my mother does the whole "it's too small! :(" thing so we got her a £10 Bluetooth Mouse.

The insistence on keyboard and mouse manufacturers on using RF, especially when bluetooth is coming in PCs as standard, is actually really annoying from a consumer perspective.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

iMac 21.5" now has a 4K option, and the input peripherals have received a refresh.

• 5K is now standard for 27". Both models get spec boosts.
  • All peripherals become "Magic", compatible only with Macs with El Cap and Bluetooth 4.0, and are now charged via Lightning.
  • Magic Keyboard has the "scissor"-type keys that the MacBook has. Magic Trackpad has Force Touch like the MacBook trackpad does.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I've got a hunch that may need checking out with someone else, but it appears like the Magic Mouse 2 fits in the Lightning Dock a little too perfectly for it to be a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

NeuralSpark posted:

The Lighting Dock has an angled connector while the MM2's connector port is perpendicular to the bottom plane of the mouse, so it doesn't fit.

EDIT: vvv Ha! Forgot to account that the connector is reversible. :downs:

The other way around. The bump where the connector is gives just enough clearance for a snug fit.

e:

TinTower fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 15, 2015