Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Is there a reason apple lists the max ram on a macbook pro as 8, when you can actually use 16? Or are there issues that everymac isn't telling me about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Is that a 15 inch and an air? I would understand it better if it was a 17 inch and an air. Also, does anyone know how/if apple checks education discounts online? I'm registered at uni but its a kind of registration where i don't have a card or anything just a paper that said i registered etc etc.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

chimz posted:

As long as you're registered for university, you're good. Apple Stores will even take an acceptance letter and give you the discount.

Oh so i send them like a fax or something? I can't imagine they'd have to do that for everyone who wants the discount, seems like so much work.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I don't recall asking this before, so hopefully not a repeat. How is the build quality on the macbook pro? Compared to say the lenovo business laptops.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

If you buy a mac from amazon can you change the os' language. Actually dumb question if you get the os discs with it you could just reinstall. Just to be safe, the language won't be a thing?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

The original air was a piece of crap? In what way? Was the build quality awful?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Is it me or is the 15inch macbook kind of the rawest deal in the bunch? clockspeed and all, the extra cost for the screen etc. Am i missing something?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

That's pretty lovely, i was thinking of getting a mac for a portable, but 17inch is a tad too big i think, since i have to lug it around a bit and it seems like a 17 inch laptop would be ostentatious as gently caress in a cafe or classroom. 13inch however seems too small, i just love have a ton of screen real estate.

The 15 inch is just, too expensive to justify i think. I'll go look at the 13inchers tomorrow in the store.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I've got a Powerbook G4, the screen is dying, green white purple lines running vertically across the screen etc etc. Is it still possible to get that repaired? I feel like i shouldn't even bother but the all the rest is still in working order so i don't know.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Ah no actually, its been gathering dust at my parents place for the last few months, i just remembered i had it when i was reading the thread. I'm going back there tomorrow so i'll give that a try. It might be the graphics card then?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

fleshweasel posted:

That's right. If it works on the external display, it means you'd need to replace the built-in display or just use it as a headless poor's desktop. If it doesn't work, you'll probably need to replace the logic board.

Works fine on an external display. How usable is an old G4 powerbook anwyay, could i donate it to my parents so they don't have to use my pc to sync their ipod? Basically, anything stopping me from using this as a web surfing/music management pc for my folks?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Wait i thought apple were notoriously tight lipped about refresh dates. Did that change since i stopped keeping up with mac news or are those just guesses? (cept for the ipad obviously)

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

A friend of mine is a graphic design student and wants to get a Macbook Pro, apparently the classes have huge spans of time where he could do work if he had a laptop capable of it. He'd like to use Photoshop and illustrator at the same time comfortably. Since his desktop died yesterday he'd need to buy it next week for sure.

Would a 13 inch mbp suffice or is the 15 inch definitely worth it? Also he'll spend what needs to be spend but what should he focus on upgrading first? Processor and screen i'm guessing?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

He hated the idea of the air though, i think because of the max of 4 gigs of ram. If pinching pennies is a consideration, is it worth skipping out on the more expensive 15 inch mbp? Or is the 0.2 GHz worth that much?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Oh i know but he doesn't have access to a pc that can do his schoolwork anymore and he's got projects due constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

Can he wait until Monday? That's when at least quad core and ULV Ivy Bridge parts are being released.

This monday the 23th? I thought that was still a week and yeah i think so. I've been hounding him to wait but its deadline time and i don't really know how much work he has to do still. Also we don't have an official apple store in the country just various resellers.