Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Bob Morales posted:

What external HD's are you guys using with your Macbook Airs?

I almost bought a Toshiba Canivio because they were cheap and in stock locally, but it looks like people are having issues with them and only with the Air.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3526534

Time Capsule as an external drive OR Western Digital My Passport - the 1TB one is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Quick question before I do it: Applecare is still worth getting for a MBA, right? I got one whenever the new ones came out and have been holding off on buying it.

Way I see it - You can save the cash and ebay your MBA - put the total cash towards a new MBA - I think the new model has to be out soon(ish).

Or just keep the old one and applecare it, I think it's like $200??

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

petewhitley posted:

Anyone have any experience with running a TV signal into your Mac?

I've seen the 250 plus in action, very good. The plus had a built in decoder useful for taking the burden off the mac if your into recording.

I'm looking to get recording onto iTunes with something like the 250 and try to sync that with an Apple TV box.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

notMordecai posted:

• Update the display to a retina
  • Have an SSD as a default (rather than swapping out the optical drive)
  • Make a size between the current 21.5" and 27"
I feel like I am asking too much....

I think MacBook Air is next up for a revamp with a bigger screen. Then hopefully the iMac follows, I would add USB 3.0 and more ports please to that list.

And what the hell has happened to the Mac Pro? Major rethink required there.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Shmoogy posted:

Rumors are claiming that production on slimmer 13 and 15 inch MBPs has begun and they'll be out soonish?

Intel already got Apple the new ivy bridge things for production.

MBP is morphing into MBA, you all knew it was going to happen!

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

CaptainMidnight posted:

Did anyone here about the 17 inch MBP's that are being discontinued by Apple? I always thought those were to big. I'll take the 15 inch MBP.

They cost more to make and sell the least, and Apple really needs more money!

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'll definitely be swapping the hard drive for an SSD, and perhaps getting a thunderbolt external drive, which I'm guessing will be fast enough for video work?

Totally, Thunderbolt is great for pros doing video work, there isn't anything faster.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Ninja Rope posted:

My girlfriend received a used MB062LL/A and neither her nor I know anything about Macs.
I've seen these for sale on Ebay for $280-380 and for the life of me I can't imagine it's worth anywhere near that much, but I don't know anything about the market.

Is this worth trying to clean up and sell? She'd love the money, so anything she can get for it would be great.

They are always worth selling, especially in a reasonable working condition. You're looking at an easy 100 or more.

You can even copy this guys ebaY format -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBook-13-3-Laptop-MB062LL-A-May-2007-/180967863295?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item2a228673ff

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

More rumors http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/?newsid=3405276&pagtype=allchandate

Please USB 3 please...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

thegasman2000 posted:

I popped out my ssd and replaced the original hdd so I could still get shut done while they piss about. The problem is that when I stick it in a white MacBook it's the c2d one I get a loading screen on boot with a progress bar and after a couple of mins it bombs out and shuts down. Am I in the poo poo?

I don't know, but my backup plan would be looking at external adapters for the ssd (SSD/HDD caddy).