Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mac gurus, need help. Currently the Apple store is selling this 8G refurb Mac Air for the same price as the 4G; is there something else about the configuration that's bad?

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Air 1.4GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5
Originally released April 2014
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors

8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory

128GB PCIe-based flash storage

720p FaceTime HD Camera

Intel HD Graphics 5000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Whoops, sorry. $849.00

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

My only beef with it would be regarding the 128gb SSD. Your mileage may vary, but I had an Air with a 128gb drive and I had a miserable time with managing my storage about a year into owning it.
(extremely useful tradeoffs snipped)

Thank you. That was a BIG help in decision-making.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Does this thread have favorite refurbishers, or is it wisest to go to Apple directly?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Would it make sense to start a new thread with the thread's basic recommendations (buy from the Apple Refurb store, preferred models, and so forth) in the first post?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Serenade posted:

Ah, didn't know it was just refreshed. That explains the recent reviews. Ad must have meant new as in "earlier this month," not new as in "upcoming." Thanks.

Oh, pooh. That means refurbished Pro prices aren't going down any time soon.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

My rMBP 13" is 8GB though, it'd have been just stupid to get a 4GB model that they offered for a short time.

Is 8G enough for a non-power-user?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The blackbook that I used in college had 1gb until halfway through my junior year, when I maxed it out with 3(!).

So probably not, no. If you're using any less than 12 nowadays to handle your Chrome tabs, you're literally a goddamn philistine who will burn for an eternity in Hell.

Good point. Effing Chrome. The big reason I'm considering a Mac is that my Chromebook runs like lead with all my browser tabs, and Google Drive crashes more often than a test dummy. I remember when everybody loved Chrome because it was lean and fast. The fate of all long-running software projects...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

so don't just get a mac under the assumption that "it'll be better at running Chrome." It'll be better than your Chromebook purely by virtue of it having more resources for Chrome to eat up.
Nah, I'm just thoroughly sick of not being able to install apps.

quote:

The next major Chrome update is supposed to fix a ton of these issues, btw.

Good to know!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

drat, I just got sniped (i.e. somebody else bought it first) on this:

$1,149.00

Originally released July 2014
13.3-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2560-by-1600 resolution at 227 pixels per inch
16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
128GB Flash Storage
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel Iris Graphics

I never, ever run out of storage, so this would have been perfect.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I keep all my stuff in the Google cloud. I haven't even run out of local storage on my last three Android phones. I can name the apps I'm likely to install locally: Scrivener, the Google cloud and Chrome, Skype, and maybe an IDE for small-scale Web stuff. Put it this way: I've happily lived on netbooks since the first one came out, and the only reason I'm giving up on my Chromebook right now is that Chrome's runaway memory leaks make a Chromebook impossible to use.

tl;dr: Some people really do use their computers primarily for Web browsing and lightweight applications.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

fleshweasel posted:

Plus you get the speed benefits of having more flash chips to deliver data in parallel.
Aha! Thank you, I didn't know that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Guys, thanks for all your advice. I pulled the trigger on a refurb 2015 13.3" Macbook Pro with 16G mem, 256 G storage, with AppleCare. I think we'll be very happy together.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ethanol posted:

also keep in mind if you want a super tricked out 13 inch mbp with the dual core i7 (a waste imo) and more than 8gb of ram, you have to order it because you're too insane to be let inside a physical store
This is where the refurbished store is your friend. 16gb ram is just future-proofing; this thread has also recommended 256G storage, not 128.

Make sure to lift everything you're thinking of. I prefer light, maneuverable laptops, so a tricked-out 13 is better for me than a 15.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pivo posted:

there's also a port that gives you a handjob.

Yeah, but the cunnilingus attachment bites.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I have a 13" rMBP with the 2.7 i5 processor, 16M, 256M. Is that big enough to run Bootcamp, or will I fast run out of room?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I was thinking of doing it as an idle just-in-case while Windows 10 was free, but my rationale is slim enough that I think I won't bother.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pivo posted:

So, no more Time Capsule? Is there an Apple-supported non-hacky way of backing up to a NAS yet? I really like my Time Capsule, it's a very capable and reliable router and automated backups are awesome. It won't last forever though, I'll eventually need something to replace it.

It just works out of the box with my Western Digital Mycloud (model PR4100, but I suspect it works with most if not all of them.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I've already had my rMBP fixed once for screen delamination, and I'm going to have to go do it again. Grrr. This is the third fix I've needed on this machine (one was unrelated) and I'm thinking of asking for a complete replacement instead of another repair.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

tuyop posted:

Nah, unless you can't possibly afford the repair and have to get a windows laptop when your computer dies, small item insurance is a scam. You just effectively would have won a small bet that you shouldn't have taken anyway because the odds were stacked against you.
Small item insurance makes sense if an item is known to be unreliable. I had to replace my daughter's Macbook completely three times; fortunately, there was Applecare. In the first six months of ownership, I've taken my rMBP back twice, and it's going to have to go a third time because the Retina screen is delaminating *again*. Then there are all the power cords that died because they don't have strain relief. I made a $250 bet with Apple that the computer wouldn't continue to work for three years. Works for me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

tuyop posted:

/\/\/\ Learn to touchtype and turn off your keyboard lights!

Small item insurance won't exist (or if it does, it won't be affordable) if an item is known to be unreliable. You're just on the end of a bell curve in these cases and the people who know exactly how reliable a product is set the price of the insurance so that it's profitable given X million policies sold.

I'm just saying that the chances are that you'll spend more on AppleCare over your lifetime as an Apple consumer than Apple (or you) will/would on repairs, and should therefore avoid it. But otherwise I'm glad you're winning the bet so far! I still wouldn't recommend AC to anyone categorically, people need to think about these things more like actuaries.

In this case, though, Apple knows the cost of the materials and labor to themselves. They can win the bet if they give me $300 retail worth of services, as long as those services are actually costing them $150. I don't know how high Apple's markup is on things like power cords, but I assume it's substantial. In that case, we both "win".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

About-to-graduate daughter's Macbook Air died yesterday, so this is opportune. She uses her computer for web browsing and lightweight word processing. (No, a netbook isn't sufficient. She does install apps.) Her last one lasted 5 years; is there any reason to get anything other than the 8G/256G model if we'd like another 5?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/laptop-macbook-savings

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Well, you just have to decide if you'd rather go with the 12" MacBook ( comes 8/256 as the base config), or the 13" Pro (the 256GB model has been for sale for $999-$1199)
The current Pro has no USB 3 ports, only Thunderbolt. :( I hadn't realized that they're practically the same weight now!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Arivia posted:

The Thunderbolt ports are also USB-C (3.1) ports.
Oh, cool. (Still gonna need to buy adapters for everything everywhere.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Well, you just have to decide if you'd rather go with the 12" MacBook ( comes 8/256 as the base config), or the 13" Pro (the 256GB model has been for sale for $999-$1199)
Where should I be looking for those prices? Also, do you have any thoughts about my original question?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pivo posted:

but 16/512 is infinitely more usable

For what, is the question. What demands does a lightweight user normally put on a Mac?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pivo posted:

Fine it’s Pivo sucks day on the internet. I think 8 is too little because I see apps like Chrome, Discord, Photoshop, on top of the OS itself easily chew through 8gb active. If you have Spotify, Slack whatever any browser based applications running they will also hurt you. 8GB is workable but painful and not future proof.

If you’re going to have poo poo soldered in, go for the future proof one. Although I don’t think 8GB is today-proof

Photoshop doesn't fall within my definition of "a lightweight user"; does it yours?
I use Chrome on a Macbook

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Can somebody point me to a writeup on why Chrome is bad on a Macbook?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mahoning posted:

I don't actually have a daughter.
He was referring to me. I have a daughter, and I asked the original question. Clearly I should get her a Razer gaming laptop, hang the expense.

:thejoke:

e: I tried Safari and half my normal extensions don't work and it kept deleting the Tampermonkey scripts I installed. Back to my omniscient masters at Google.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Best Buy has the 8GB/128GB 13" Air for $649 with the EDU coupon

I linked to that in the post you quoted. We just came home with the 8/256.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

So, I spilled tea on my Macbook Pro Early 2015 two months out of applecare. :( It's out getting a repair estimate. In the meantime, I see that the thread still recs Macbook Pro Early 2015 as your go-to if you aren't doing heavy graphics work? I use mine basically for Chrome, text editors, and Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

So, I spilled tea all over my Early 2015 Macbook Pro Retina, 16 G 256 G. This sucks.

It has to go all the way back to Apple for a full interior redo because of the amount of liquid involved. $900. I'm three months outside of AppleCare plus, boo.

I think it's more cost-effective to get a refurb of this, given the large memory, than it is to buy anything new from Apple, right? I'm not loving the all-Thunderbolt ports.