Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

movax posted:

I think you have to reflow the GPU, so essentially, nope, just sell it on eBay.

Not just reflow, you really gotta reball it for a good fix.

As far as hard drive in the optical bay, ive heard the optical bay does not have drop protection, so putting a spinny drive in there could be detrimental

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Crossposting this, but the samsung 840 ssd's do not negotiate at sata 2 on mcp79 macs. So get something else.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Id open it all backup and redo all the connections.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

Crossposting a possible solution: SanDisk evidently gives a poo poo about Macs as they released a special version of their firmware for those Macs with nVidia MCP79 Macs (MacBooks and Pros from 2008-2009) that disables SATA III and enables only SATA II mode so they negotiate at full speed (3Gb/sec) on those Macs instead of only SATA I (1.5 Gb/sec).

Well not a solution for samsung owners but yea. If you have MCP79 stay away from the 840. Mine is a late 2009 imac. My 830 will be here tomorrow and the 840 will be going back to amazon.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I dont think anything has much of a problem in new machines, its old sata 2 machines that have issues.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

Crossposting from the SSD thread:

Evidently there is a long-standing negotiation issue between SandForce SF-22xx series and nVidia MCP79 controllers. SSDs that use the SF-2281 with default firmware will often default to SATA I when connected to an MCP79 SATA controller. This is particularly unfortunate for Mac laptops, as Apple used the MCP79 controller chipset exclusively in all of their MacBooks and MacBook Pros from roughly 2008 to 2009.

SanDisk Toolkit has a special version of the firmware for the Mac that disables SATA III and enables SATA II only so that it will work properly with the nVidia MCP79 chipset.

Edit: you can reflash the drive to standard firmware if you move it to a non-MCP79 machine.

Edit 2: OCZ (of all people), SanDisk, and several other vendors offer a Mac-centric fix for this.

Edit 3: Don't expect Intel to do poo poo for this issue with their SandForce controlled SSDs, given all the fighting they've done with nVidia, especially since the MCP79 chipset isn't in production anymore.

Edit 4: Samsung uses their own proprietary MDX controller in the 840 standard and pro, this is probably an unrelated issue.

Compatible MCP79 drives should be in the OP.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

I can't do anything to the OP now, since I didn't start this iteration of the thread.

Also, I made changes to my post, especially in the light that Apple used the MCP79 chipset in at least one model of the 2009 iMacs as well!

Ask me about taking my imac apart yesterday and then finding out i only had sata 1 speeds. lol

dont touch the back of the glass!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

Sorry to hear it. It's a lot of effort, tbqh.

Is your iMac a 10,1?

One right before that. 24"

remove glass, remove aluminum front, remove lcd.

It wouldn't be as big of a deal if my kit wasn't allen wrenches and was actual screwdrivers.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Appletv can't stream from a time capsule.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Changed the ssd out in my homegrown fusion drive, disk utility in the 10.8.2 installer was able to rebuild the drive with my new ssd, no data saved but I didn't have to mess with terminal.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

I assume that fusion drive config files are stored on the fusion drive volume on a factory apple. If so, won't deleting/formatting the volume break fusion drive? How are end users supposed to recreate the FD volume if broken like this? For instance if OS X is reinstalled and the drive is repartitioned/formatted?

The osx installer sees the fusion drive as one drive. It doesn't act like its 2 drives. If you format it then you have an empty fusion drive. If one of the drives fails the installer will rebuild a blank fusion volume when a new drive is inserted. Both drives have hidden partitions it appears with the necessary information.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ozmodiar posted:

I got my Time Capsule all set up...and I was looking into Time Machine, but I'm not sure if I want to use it.

From what I read, it'll basically take a periodic snapshot of your machine and keep backing up the entire machine until the Time Capsule is full...is that correct?

Can I just have it back up certain folders and look for changes to those folders, or is it an all-or-nothing deal?

In the time machine preferences you can have to ignore folders. Otherwise its all or nothing. There is a way to limit the amount of space it can use but you will need to google for more information.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You can't partition a time capsule. I believe you can modify the sparse image to limit the space.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Changing the top case is such a to do, im not surprised he tried to talk you out of it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1997 posted:

You don't have to switch the top case to replace the display. The display takes like 20 minutes. Still, they probably have a lot of other actually broken poo poo to repair.

Sorry, when i say top case i mean, the lcd assembly.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you have an apple store nearby take it to them. We had a customers 17" macbook pro with a bulging battery, well out of warranty. The bulge had damaged the motherboard. Apple repaired the machine and replaced the battery at no charge.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Just trim some foam and slide it in. Just needs to be snug.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bestbuy sells the openbox 256gb 13" for ~$1280 also.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

MBP Questions: I have a 2008-2009 13" Macbook Pro that seems to be slowly dying (getting a cluster of red pixels on part of the screen and the multitouch acts kind of weird now, if it's possible to fix these I'd love to know though). I was looking at getting a new one at some point in the next 6 monthsish, I mostly use it for programming and interfacing with robotics and computer hardware at my university lab so I figured the normal MBP would be my best bet since it looks to have a better variety of inputs and outputs (especially the ethernet) than the Air.

*Are the newest Macbooks still user-upgradeable? I was hoping I could plug in an SSD and more memory at some point in the future.

*Are there any major changes I'd have to get used to moving from Snow Leopard to whatever they're on now? I heard they totally changed the way spaces and expose work :ohdear: and something I didn't quite get about FTP.

*How do the dual core processors work out? I thought most computer makers had moved to quad core by now but maybe I'm wrong. I'm not going to be playing any games or rendering on it so I don't know if it would really matter.

*My current one has some old integrated Nvidia 900 something GPU, the new ones look like they have an Intel 4000. My past experiences with integrated intel graphics were really bad, but maybe they're up to speed now?

A standard macbook pro is near identical build wise to your current one. So you can still upgrade poo poo

You will figure it out in 10 minutes.

Your current computer already has dual core.

The intel graphics are going to be 2-4x faster than what you have now and since you dont play games or do rendering it doesn't matter anyway.

Buy a macbook air instead.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

A modern computer is going to do your non gaming non rendering poo poo until it breaks for the most part.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Macbook airs dont use torx screwdrivers. You need to buy a pentalobe screwdriver, and even with the correct one you risk stripping the buttery soft screws they installed.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

yoyomama posted:

Thanks again all for the info, it's super helpful. I'm still a bit undecided, but I may get a Mac mini or PC desktop and then wait until Haswell to make a final decision after I figure out what'll work best for me long term in terms of budget and needs.

You can do a macbook air + thunderbolt monitor. Then its just one cable to the monitor for all your poo poo.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

My macbook air i5 has it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Eight Is Legend posted:

How much of a difference will I feel if I replace the HDD in my late-2008 MacBook Pro (the first unibody, with 4 GB Ram) with an SSD - worth it or should I rather go for upgrading to a whole new laptop? I'm also considering replacing the optical drive with an SSD since a 512 GB SSD is pretty costly.

It will feel like a whole new machine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Chemical Shift posted:

Okay, so say I get a 2012 MacBook Air 13". Is there anyway in the future to upgrade the storage? I've heard people talk about OWC solutions which I went and checked out. That seems easy to install, does that ruin the warranty? Because the MBA is certainly the most attractive option (either that I'd go with a Thinkpad at this point), but I will probably want more storage in the future. All of the talk about the SD card in the thread gives me hope for sure, and is pushing me towards being okay with starting out with 128GB and then upgrading when I need to.

As long as you dont break anything installing it and the drive itself doesn't break anything then it should not hurt your warranty.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1997 posted:

I'm surprised nobody had told you that will void the warranty since the MacBook Airs do not have any user serviceable parts so I'll tell you: this will absolutely void your warranty.

Swapping the ssd will not void your warranty unless you break something doing it or a failure of the ssd damages something.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1997 posted:

Not for a MacBook Air.

Even for a MacBook Air.

Read the agreement, apple only denies coverage if damage is caused by a non authorized product. They are not legally allowed to void your warranty for using a 3rd party part unless that part causes damage. It's part of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1997 posted:

"This warranty does not apply: ... (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple;"

Which includes replacing a part that is not user serviceable. Am I missing something here?

Yes, that's the iPhone agreement...

From the Mac AppleCare

(ii) Damage caused by (a) a product that is not the Covered Equipment (b) accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause, (c) operating the Covered Equipment outside the permitted or intended uses described by the manufacturer, or (d) service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”);

Damage causes by is the key word. Just opening the machine and replacing a part does not void the warranty unless it causes damage to the machine.

If your aftermarket ssd shorted the motherboard it would void the warranty of the motherboard. If you install an ssd and the LCD goes out it would not.

It would be up to apple to prove it as well.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 11, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Also just cause a company puts a warranty void if removed sticker on a product does not make it legal for them to void the warranty if you remove the sticker. It's more of a scare tactic to keep people out.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1997 posted:

I didn't get that quote from the iPhone agreement.

Where did you find it? It's not in the current US AppleCare agreement for macs. The iPhone agreement is where it turned up in a search.

Edit: it's not in the current iPhone agreement either. It's from an outdated AppleCare document it appears.

It wouldn't be legally enforceable anyway in the US because its against federal law.

Edit2 I'm going by information here.

http://www.apple.com/legal/applecare/appgeos.html

Edit3 I think this is what you are referring too
http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/mac-english.html

The problem is there is no definition as to what modified to alter functionality or capability means. I doubt apple could claim it included replacing an ssd. For the same reason a car company can't void your warranty for using an aftermarket part.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 11, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

beergod posted:

Ram is maxed. Can you recommend a walk through on installing an SSD?

Aluminum or white, if white what size screen.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1997 posted:

If it's 2008 it can only be aluminum

Get a suction cup off a bathroom mirror or similar. Place on glass and pull up to remove glass.

Remove all screws that were under glass on the edge and memory cover on bottom. Lift aluminum front off paying attention to ant connected cables, most likely at the top by the camera.

Now remove 8 screws holding in the LCD.

Disconnect cables going to LCD as you lift up.

You should now have access to the drive.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The show those big rear end suction cups but one the size of a quarter will do the job.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

So who here thinks SSD alignment is an issue on Macs? I've had a Samsung 830 formatted bog standard with Disk Utility from Mountain Lion, and I've never experienced any delays or stutters when emptying the trash. I do regularly boot into single user mode to run fsck, which seems to automatically invoke TRIM (it echoes the status line 'Trimming unused blocks' near the end of the process.)

A lot of people tend to hand wave it away with 'controllers are smarter now and have translation tables zzzz' but how do we know for sure?

OSX should automatically align.

It also supports trim if you download the trim enabler.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Less Fat Luke posted:

So I'm looking at the Mini with two internal hard drives. They come as separate volumes to the OS and not in a RAID mirror, is that correct?

Correct

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

etalian posted:

There will be no Retina Macbook Air next year just another processor refresh, along with slight improvements to weight and size due to changing out some parts.

It will probably take a few generations for Retina to trickle down to the MBA due to the more challenging manufacturing process, lower price vs. Pro Retina and also limited pool of suppliers.

I could definitely see a retina air next year with the new intel chips, lower power and 2x more powerful graphics is perfect for a retina air.

Apple tends to adopt technology pretty quickly among their devices.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Why wouldn't they. They do it now with the MBP and and MBA. The MBP and AIR are the same price now and the air probably costs less to make. No reason they wouldn't do the same thing with the rMBP and rAIR.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Aftermarket batteries are a real hit or miss and usually a miss.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

For $109 you might as well spend the extra and go through apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

A progress bar sounds like its trying to do some kind of firmware update.